Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Remember that Trump-voting salt-of-the-earth lady PBS did an obsequious interview for, and then viewers noticed her arms were covered in Nazi tattoos.

She said the Stormfront logo on her hand was just her celtic heritage, and the '88' tattoo well stop asking me questions don't you have something better to do.

Welp that settles that, Nazi-tattoo lady can't be a Nazi because she said she wasn't and it's Nazi code they have to tell you they're a Nazi if you ask, just like undercover cops.

She looks like a fat Ronda Rousey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

that chuck todd segment beggars belief.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

The area around Brown spooked me a little too--I was super loving straitlaced back then, and Thayer Street was lined with refugees from the Rhode Island School of Design. There was a guy sitting cross-legged on the sidewalk banging on bongos and screaming at the top of his lungs. I think it was then that I realized "I will probably never fit in here".

The texture of Rhode Island is remarkably a mixture of rain, season 1 family guy, and hp lovecraft.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Xarthor posted:

I love that this is the new fig leaf to which the republicans are clinging. "Aw c'mon, who hasn't made a widdle campaign finance oopsie doopsie from time to time!?"

Also "whoa hold on we can't be investigating the executive branch to death doesn't congress have other things to do"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

there's lies, damned lies, trump's usual stock in trade, bad lies even for trump, and we have found a new level: "house republicans claiming to have spent a long time investigating trump"

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Plenty of racists don't want fullblown segregation.

Of course they don't, they just want to be able to use the N-word and treat other people like poo poo and it to be perfectly ok. "Black people can still have rights, I just want the option to scream n----r at the top of my lungs anywhere I want without people thinking I'm an rear end in a top hat"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Ginette Reno posted:

She looks like a fat Ronda Rousey

:chloe:

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

evilweasel posted:

there's lies, damned lies, trump's usual stock in trade, bad lies even for trump, and we have found a new level: "house republicans claiming to have spent a long time investigating trump"

I deeply enjoy them quietly mentioning that there are campaign violations for people to investigate.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Wylie posted:

Fun fact: the guy narrating that video is Jack Wagner, who was the public address voice of Disneyland park for a very long time. Imagine that voice telling you to stand behind the yellow line or to keep your hands, feet, and head inside the ride vehicle at all times and you've got it. The fact that audio of him saying gently caress a bunch of times was allowed to exist is frankly amazing.

I know I'm reaching back a page or two here, but it beats debating whether PewDiePie is just bad or a Nazi (both are true).

"Stand behind the loving line" "Keep your loving hands feet and head inside the loving vehicle at all times" "Have a fun loving time"

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

GreyjoyBastard posted:

(less ironically, while American IP law is a BIT MUCH, I'm not sure toasting ot entirely is the way to go, never mind how China actually does it in practice)

Is there a place to chat about IP law? It’s a fascinating field and one that desperately needs reforms.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Unoriginal Name posted:

I deeply enjoy them quietly mentioning that there are campaign violations for people to investigate.

yeah this telling on yourself poo poo rules.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Triskelli posted:

Is there a place to chat about IP law? It’s a fascinating field and one that desperately needs reforms.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876355

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

evilweasel posted:

i'm not really making moral judgments one way or another, but the issue is that the "give us your tech or we won't let you enter our market" is not allowed under the international rules for trade. i suspect the right thing for china is to keep doing precisely what it's doing, which is why attempts to force them to stop are unlikely to succeed. but it's important to understand that the criticisms of chinese trade practices are qualitatively different than trump getting a bee in his bonnet about trade deficits or steel mills because otherwise you won't understand why there's tepid support for trade war with china by the people you'd expect to be most vehemently against it.

I'm curious as how China's insistence on technology transfer is any different than technology transfer agreements in other countries. For example, a big part of the Rafael deal between Dassault and India was technology transfer.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grapplejack posted:

Certainly they own the means of production, and not the hundreds of Chinese billionaire robber barons that are entrenched in the party. Is this a new gimmick, grey?

Only a little. I'm trying to avoid sincere-seeming gimmicks, no matter how tempting it is to (say) go full Iran Tankie.

or Sri Lanka Rajapaksa Partisan, which would be hilariously appropriate these days

Foreign governments are pretty :raise: about the currently ongoing wacky governmental shenanigans and are restricting dealings with the SL government a bit. Also, tourists aren't terribly happy about political upheaval, for some reason.

Summary: Current president (Sirisena) gets into dispute with then-current prime minister (Wickremasinghe) about... things? I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, as are the Sri Lankans I talk to, so it's at least partly weird backroom palace intrigue. Current president pulls party out of governing coalition, leaving coalition non-majority, and joins coalition with party of previous president (Rajapaksa), who current president stabbed in the back to become current president. Previous president becomes current prime minister. Now-previous prime minister claims that constitutionally he is current prime minister and calls for vote of no confidence in current government if he is not reinstated. Current president delays previously scheduled convening of parliament, then dissolves parliament and calls for extremely rapid new elections.

Supreme Court stays dissolution of parliament pending decision on the prime minister question, two motions of no-confidence are passed-ish and ignored by the president, Supreme Court issues an additional restriction on executive power in the meantime, poo poo's fuckin' crazy and everybody's waiting to see what the Supreme Court says.

you're welcome

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/SimonMaloy/status/1071116730578145285

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

i'm not really making moral judgments one way or another, but the issue is that the "give us your tech or we won't let you enter our market" is not allowed under the international rules for trade. i suspect the right thing for china is to keep doing precisely what it's doing, which is why attempts to force them to stop are unlikely to succeed. but it's important to understand that the criticisms of chinese trade practices are qualitatively different than trump getting a bee in his bonnet about trade deficits or steel mills because otherwise you won't understand why there's tepid support for trade war with china by the people you'd expect to be most vehemently against it.

This is pretty much where I'm at.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Defenses of Pewdiepie as somehow not racist always remind me of the old "Why do all these homosexuals keep sucking my cock?" Onion article.

IF dude isn't racist how come he keeps "accidentally" doing all this racist poo poo? Like, over and over again!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Giggy posted:

The N word is used a lot in rap and in the black community but rarely with the hard R. It's somewhat understandable, though not okay, that a white person with some exposure to these communities would accidentally slip up, say, during a song lyric. But they don't slip up with a hard R. Only racists do.

In this whole discussion over "hard R", I'm reminded of that scene in BlacKKKlansman where David Duke is telling Ron Stallworth that he doesn't talk like a black man, because he doesn't roll his "R"s.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1072167361774530560

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

What were the 5.000.000 Benghazi hearings and 800 repeal Obamacare votes then? gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you gently caress you.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

oh hey, an interview with the US -> SL ambassador just came out literally today

apparently a career state department lady, presumably neither trump nor his mar a lago guests cared enough about Sri Lanka to want the job

http://www.ft.lk/front-page/New-US-Ambassador-opens-up-to-Sri-Lanka/44-668483

quote:

It is also challenging, since I arrived at a time (in October) when a serious political crisis was growing, and it has been certainly disappointing to see that crisis continuing. I hope that it could be resolved in a proper way. We strongly believe that it is for the elected representatives of the people of Sri Lanka to make a final determination. What is more challenging is how you deal with the aftermath of this crisis.

lol

quote:

Q: US President Donald Trump is seen as a key campaigner for protectionism, which in turn has or is influencing other nations to adopt a similar stance. How would you justify some of the trade measures introduced by the Trump administration, in the context of recommending greater inter-regional trade within South Asia?

President Donald Trump has been very focused on fair and reciprocal trade. He has pivoted the importance of bilateral trade arrangements and ensuring that there is mutual benefit in those relationship. I don’t think that is bad advice for any country to consider. In terms of regional and global trade, a rules-based order in which those arrangements exist, so that we stick to the rules, thereby respect one another, and ensure advantages to all sides: that is what the US is interested in at the end of the day.

double lol, imagine being a diplomat trying to talk about Trump trade policy

The interview is mildly interesting for huge nerds.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

I'm just now realizing all of the astonishing parallels between Trump and Zoolander and I think the name of this emotion is Gleespair

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Yeah but that's paired with a truthful confession to breaking campaign finance law

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Defenses of Pewdiepie as somehow not racist always remind me of the old "Why do all these homosexuals keep sucking my cock?" Onion article.

IF dude isn't racist how come he keeps "accidentally" doing all this racist poo poo? Like, over and over again!

It's weird, because it feels like old people misunderstanding youth culture, and having a moral panic. But like, if they understood it better they would have a very similar but different moral panic.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/mmfa/status/1072178784206508033

:ughh:

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I love "Not-but" mechanism so much. It has so many applications!

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Mooch knows he can't deny Qanon bozos if he wants to keep on grifting

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I forget who Trump Jr. is actually, I get them all confused

Is he Fredo or Sonny

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they're all fredo.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Squalid posted:

What does this person mean by neocon? Because I know it must be different from what I think but I can't imagine how.

That's a bot pretending to be a colorado-based black woman who supports white nationalism.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Feldegast42 posted:

I forget who Trump Jr. is actually, I get them all confused

Is he Fredo or Sonny

Trump Jr. is the Fredo who thinks he's Sonny. Eric is the Fredo who knows he's Fredo and thus largely keeps out of the spotlight. Kushner is the Fredo who thinks he's Tom Hagen. It's Fredos all the way down.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

Trump Jr. is the Fredo who thinks he's Sonny. Eric is the Fredo who knows he's Fredo and thus largely keeps out of the spotlight. Kushner is the Fredo who thinks he's Tom Hagen. It's Fredos all the way down.

Don Jr: Fredo
Eric: Fredo
Kushner: Fredo
Ivanka: Lady Fredo

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I wonder what his thoughts are on the Clinton emails.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
YouTube...

YT....

yt....

whyT

whitey

Makes u wonder

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Seems like the only conservative celebs these days are old, has-been brokebrains like Dean Cain and Chuck Norris.

Rumor has it Sarah Michelle Gellar is conservative. Sorry to ruin your teen years, elder millenials.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Kellyanne Conbae is about the only one to not have met with Russia now.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

yronic heroism posted:

Rumor has it Sarah Michelle Gellar is conservative. Sorry to ruin your teen years, elder millenials.

Are you mixing her up with Melissa Joan Hart or are they both conservative?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

kevin nash is woke and that's all that matters.

https://twitter.com/RealKevinNash/status/1055693470348783619

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

yronic heroism posted:

Rumor has it Sarah Michelle Gellar is conservative.
She's a registered Republican but voted for Clinton apparently. So she's trash now, thanks a lot.