Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w

food court bailiff posted:

It was way cool when I did my woodworking writ yesterday and got assigned oak items before I'd been able to gather any rough oak at all.

Is there room in the goon guild for someone who basically logs in (almost) every day for the login bonus and to steal a buncha poo poo, and then plays random quests for hours very occasionally? I was in it before my long hiatus, @Nekheny_IV

what do you think the rest of us do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, even downloading the game through Steam still leaves you with an hour or two of patching to go through, on top of however fast you can pull down 80 goddamn gigs.

It ended up not taking all that long, maybe 30-40 minutes? I guess the displayed data rate was a bit off.

Anyway, rolled my cat wizard, and it dropped me off in... Morrowind? I thought that was an expansion pack. Or does everyone start there?

Game defaulted to Ultra High settings, and it runs flawlessly. I imagine a real stress test would be Balmora, as that was the case with original Morrowind. For whatever reason, by default the interface is completely bare-bones. Almost nothing was enabled, not even subtitles. I guess that's to give it a Skyrim-like feel. I turned a ton of options on and now it has MMO usability.

How do I craft stuff? I've looted a bunch of ingredients but I couldn't figure out how to make anything yet. Is a staff/light armor the best for wizards? I noticed I'm also going to need to train medium for some stealth perks.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Morrowind is an expansion, but now part of the base game - the new expansion is Summerset. So basically the thing that happens in WoW, where old expansions are added to the base game when a new one comes along. And yep, the game starts you off in Morrowind (after Harborage if you didn't skip it), which is complete bs in my opinion since I like to start from the alliance starting zones. I just port to a friend/guild-mate in the starting zones and come back to Morrowind when I do dlc quests.

If you have ESO+ just keep collecting resources and make low-level stuff at crafting stations which can be found in main cities, small cities and guild halls (and friend's houses if they have them). Basically the low level mats are actually very useless in the long run since once you hit cp160 the mats required are end-game and you'll never end up using low-level mats unless you do unleveled writs (which is actually worth it just for the maps).

Might sound kind of complicated, but once you see a crafting station and how there are different for each profession it's all easy.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Ofecks posted:

It ended up not taking all that long, maybe 30-40 minutes? I guess the displayed data rate was a bit off.

Anyway, rolled my cat wizard, and it dropped me off in... Morrowind? I thought that was an expansion pack. Or does everyone start there?

Game defaulted to Ultra High settings, and it runs flawlessly. I imagine a real stress test would be Balmora, as that was the case with original Morrowind. For whatever reason, by default the interface is completely bare-bones. Almost nothing was enabled, not even subtitles. I guess that's to give it a Skyrim-like feel. I turned a ton of options on and now it has MMO usability.

How do I craft stuff? I've looted a bunch of ingredients but I couldn't figure out how to make anything yet. Is a staff/light armor the best for wizards? I noticed I'm also going to need to train medium for some stealth perks.
The minimalist UI is awful. Consider looking into addons to add other functionality like a minimap.

The capital of Vvardenfell is Vivec City, but since it's under construction, most activity is in an outdoor station.

You need to find a crafting table and refine raw ingredients if you want to craft. There are intro crafting quests (writ certifications) in the capital cities.

Staff + light armor is the way to go. I'd suggest throwing on a single heavy piece and a single medium to level those up in case you ever need them.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
A lot of light armor wearers like to use a heavy chest when soloing, since it’s the bit with the most armor.

Once you get used to constantly refreshing you shield that becomes less important, but it can still help.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

kaffo posted:

I'm not going to say no, I'm still struggling.
Account is @kaffo and character is Barry Mills
p.s. you're the best

I'm just having trouble finding you, are you on the EU server?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Starshark posted:

I'm just having trouble finding you, are you on the EU server?

Yep, EU. I'm on the Discord too

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

kaffo posted:

Yep, EU. I'm on the Discord too

What's the Discord link?

kaffo
Jun 20, 2017

If it's broken, it's probably my fault

Starshark posted:

What's the Discord link?

It's in the OP: https://discord.gg/PZ3DgUQ
Try that ^

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

So, apparently zos done hosed up and has had guild roster functions working outside of being in the guild roster menu, which in turn causes performance issues.

If you want an outsourced (read: console troopers discovered this fix) fix, go to your guild rosters and search for either your name or some random name that you know will NOT be in the guild rosters, this will blank out the roster and stop it from constantly pulling player data to increase performance.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

JadaX posted:

So basically the thing that happens in WoW, where old expansions are added to the base game when a new one comes along. And yep, the game starts you off in Morrowind (after Harborage if you didn't skip it), which is complete bs in my opinion since I like to start from the alliance starting zones. I just port to a friend/guild-mate in the starting zones and come back to Morrowind when I do dlc quests.

That's silly, because in WoW trial accounts, you always start at level 1 in your Vanilla-ish racial newb zone. The only way to warp to expansion zones is to use a paid level boost (one comes free with expansion purchases).

Ok, going off what you said, I'd like to go to whatever zone Khajits start in. Had a brief look at the map yesterday, and it looks like there's 1 area in Elsweyr that's playable (Gold Coast I think it's called?), how do I get there from Morrowind? Well, besides using a party member to warp. If I can make a journey there on foot I'd prefer that.

You also mentioned crafting is useful for the maps. I stole one of those (a treasure map maybe?) from a container in Seyda Neen. Didn't seem to be directly usable. What exactly does it do?

Mizuti posted:

The minimalist UI is awful. Consider looking into addons to add other functionality like a minimap.

A minimap would definitely be useful! Also, I couldn't find any local maps like what's in the previous 3 ES games (for caves/buildings etc). Is that buried somewhere in the UI or is there an addon for that? e: looks like it's there, just not for small buildings

Mizuti posted:

Staff + light armor is the way to go. I'd suggest throwing on a single heavy piece and a single medium to level those up in case you ever need them.

Coldforge posted:

A lot of light armor wearers like to use a heavy chest when soloing, since it's the bit with the most armor.

Okay, noted! I currently have a mix of stuff, but I'll look for a heavy chest and medium pants or helmet? Whatever gives the 2nd most armor I'll wear medium.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Dec 8, 2018

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
With the current Steam sale, decided to finally give this game a go since I have a few friends that have played it in the past and said a lot of good things. Could @Ariesian.Felhoof please get a guild invite? Thanks! <3

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Ofecks posted:

Ok, going off what you said, I'd like to go to whatever zone Khajits start in. Had a brief look at the map yesterday, and it looks like there's 1 area in Elsweyr that's playable (Gold Coast I think it's called?), how do I get there from Morrowind? Well, besides using a party member to warp. If I can make a journey there on foot I'd prefer that.

Another new player here. Here is how to get to your starting zone:

Teleport to one of the capitals, e.g. Davons Watch or Daggerfall. (All characters start with the wayshrines to these)
Once you get there some woman will give you a quest to "talk to the benefactor". Do this quest and you will automatically find yourself in a different zone for a while and upon completion of this quest, which turns out to be the Main Quest, you will get teleported to the starting zone for whichever race you are.

So basically:
-Delete all your quests
-Teleport to Daggerfall or Davons Watch
-Run around for a bit near the Wayshrine to get the game to trigger the NPC offering you the benefactor quest
-Do this quest
-Eventually find yourself in the starting zone for your race

The starting zone is a small place and if you follow the storyline here you will eventually be sent to a slightly larger zone. Do the quests here as well and you will eventually be sent to the zone that contains your factions capital and be on the "mainland" so to speak; the first 2 zones are islands

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

extremely helpful :words:

Thank you! Mr. Kitty Man is going home.

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
If you start in Morrowind it puts you in Seyda Neen. There's a boat right there on the docks that will take you to the starting city of whatever faction you desire. As soon as you get off the boat that quest giver will appear before you and you can take it.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If someone sees a half price crown sale please post it here, I’m not really on top of eso news

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

It's worth noting that this game doesn't really have starting zones in the WoW sense of the term. It's very open-ended in terms of where you can start and what order you want to do stuff in. If you do enough in-depth research you can sort of puzzle out a chronology of the many, many game storylines, but the game doesn't break if you do them out of order. It's designed so you can start anywhere, just tug on a thread and see where it goes, and kind of make your own story.

It's not a mistake that they start you at their newest content, it tends to be the most polished content and they're trying to make a good first impression, that's all...

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
Yep, you can start doing quests wherever, but if I prefer to start in the alliance starting areas as was originally designed by ZOS. I also feel the starting zone quests are easier for lowbies, they were designed to like that in my opinion.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I started in Summerset, and reached a questchain after two hours that had me fighting a raid boss, solo, with little to no skills. I wiped and wiped until I youtubed it's name, and noticed players struggling with that guy at even more advanced levels. Seriously, please start somewhere else, it's so much easier. Even the mini-bosses can be tough, and with no CC or special skills yet, well good luck.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
Guide on how to quest/zone in the original order: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/413807/what-order-should-i-do-esos-story-arcs-a-guide

Iverron
May 13, 2012

mike12345 posted:

I started in Summerset, and reached a questchain after two hours that had me fighting a raid boss, solo, with little to no skills. I wiped and wiped until I youtubed it's name, and noticed players struggling with that guy at even more advanced levels. Seriously, please start somewhere else, it's so much easier. Even the mini-bosses can be tough, and with no CC or special skills yet, well good luck.

OTOH I just started ESO and did Summerset first and had a pretty easy go of things?

I mean sure you come across some quests in Alinor that want you to kill World Bosses and stuff but they aren’t critical quests and any experience with MMOs should tell you when something like that isn’t soloable.

I usually just idled for 10-15m at most until a group of high levels wandered through and started fighting the boss, but I could’ve easily just ignored the quest until later because there’s not really any story to it and it just rewards the daily cache things.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Ofecks posted:

Thank you! Mr. Kitty Man is going home.

Well, I'm back where I'm supposed to be, I think. But that's a hell of a way to start a MMO. :stare:

Inventory space is already a problem. It has the same system as DCSS where weight isn't a thing but you're just limited to slots. I can definitely see the value in buying a subscription for the craft bag. I don't think I'll be playing past the free trial, but this is definitely a cool game and I will come back to it eventually. Very different than the other two MMOs I've played (WoW and Neverwinter), as far as character advancement and several other aspects. Until then I'll have to train myself not to pick up everything that isn't nailed down (because Elder Scrolls).

Useful link, thanks! I'm a little bit disappointed to learn that Cyrodil is a PvP zone, as I do not like PvP and do my best to avoid it. I would have liked to see what they did with the Oblivion lands.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ofecks posted:

Useful link, thanks! I'm a little bit disappointed to learn that Cyrodil is a PvP zone, as I do not like PvP and do my best to avoid it. I would have liked to see what they did with the Oblivion lands.

Just avoid the Vivec server, and you can pve away from the front lines to your heart’s content in Cyro.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Time for another screenshot dump. First off, cosmetic stuff from the new crown crate set, which I'd been saving up my gems for.

Dead-Water Scale skin is iridescent, and apparently looks really cool on non-Argonian characters—not that I can show that off.

Bright-Throat skin, for the character I may as well have designed specifically for it.

Bright-Throat Woad face and body tattoo.

Bright-Throat Chalk body tattoo, which completes this witch-doctor outfit.

This is why I make sure to open every desk, cabinet, backpack, and urn I come across. That's about 50,000 gold worth of furniture plans right there.

I redid a lot of my Argonian party cave since I last posted it. In particular, there's a totally new shop/crafting area making use of some of the new Murkmire furniture plans.

"Your eyes are as lovely as muddy puddles, found deep within... ehhhhh, forget it."

This outfit I made for my new magplar is my favorite one I've ever done.

:unsmigghh:

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 9, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rollersnake posted:

Time for another screenshot dump. First off, cosmetic stuff from the new crown crate set, which I'd been saving up my gems for.

This is elite end game content.

lags
Jan 3, 2004

Any chance of an invite? Brand new player @lags1974

Thanks!

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Iverron posted:

OTOH I just started ESO and did Summerset first and had a pretty easy go of things?

I mean sure you come across some quests in Alinor that want you to kill World Bosses and stuff but they aren’t critical quests and any experience with MMOs should tell you when something like that isn’t soloable.

I usually just idled for 10-15m at most until a group of high levels wandered through and started fighting the boss, but I could’ve easily just ignored the quest until later because there’s not really any story to it and it just rewards the daily cache things.

there are quest chains that lead you to places not easily reachable if you abandon them, there's also a good chance no one is around to help you kill that boss, and there is also no mention that you will face such a boss in the quests leading up to it. I'm not talking about world bosses, I was talking about K'tora for example.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgBTxHwYqNg

This is what happens when you leave your recording software on for 12 hours and realize it when you're attending a GvG event.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Scyantific posted:

So, apparently zos done hosed up and has had guild roster functions working outside of being in the guild roster menu, which in turn causes performance issues.

If you want an outsourced (read: console troopers discovered this fix) fix, go to your guild rosters and search for either your name or some random name that you know will NOT be in the guild rosters, this will blank out the roster and stop it from constantly pulling player data to increase performance.

So does this apply to everyone and every guild?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rollersnake posted:

Nice to see more egg-brethren! I grabbed some stuff, too.

And I finally got Black Market Mogul! :suicide:

Iverron
May 13, 2012

mike12345 posted:

there are quest chains that lead you to places not easily reachable if you abandon them, there's also a good chance no one is around to help you kill that boss, and there is also no mention that you will face such a boss in the quests leading up to it. I'm not talking about world bosses, I was talking about K'tora for example.

I'm NA PC but I haven't had any issues coming across a random group of people to tag along with. That said I'm OCD about builds and what not and found some recommendations on reddit of a very Siphon heavy magblade build that lets me pretty much solo anything reasonable, including the Public Dungeons.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I bought the loving Snowglobe home because it was way cheaper than I thought it was gonna be.

I don't even plan on using it for anything, but I still did.

Hachiman
Jun 17, 2018

Can I have a guild invite please @pfcn? Thanks!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Also looking for a guild invite, character is Onara Pieru or @crispymartyr.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is there any way to easily like, report a player through chat? The other day someone was spewing some really heinous poo poo in zone about his underage hentai collection but I was several beers deep at that point and just logged the gently caress off rather than trying to menu-surf my way to player reports. Hopefully a game master saw it.

Aramek posted:

I bought the loving Snowglobe home because it was way cheaper than I thought it was gonna be.

I don't even plan on using it for anything, but I still did.

That house looks awesome and I want to not want it as much as I do.

Ofecks posted:

Inventory space is already a problem. It has the same system as DCSS where weight isn't a thing but you're just limited to slots. I can definitely see the value in buying a subscription for the craft bag. I don't think I'll be playing past the free trial, but this is definitely a cool game and I will come back to it eventually. Very different than the other two MMOs I've played (WoW and Neverwinter), as far as character advancement and several other aspects. Until then I'll have to train myself not to pick up everything that isn't nailed down (because Elder Scrolls).

If you want to craft basically at all you really need a subscription. I'm limiting myself to a single crafting skill until I can really justify splurging on Plus and even then it's painful, especially with the way that materials seem to be leveled in the world.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Is there any way to easily like, report a player through chat? The other day someone was spewing some really heinous poo poo in zone about his underage hentai collection but I was several beers deep at that point and just logged the gently caress off rather than trying to menu-surf my way to player reports. Hopefully a game master saw it.

That house looks awesome and I want to not want it as much as I do.

If you want to craft basically at all you really need a subscription. I'm limiting myself to a single crafting skill until I can really justify splurging on Plus and even then it's painful, especially with the way that materials seem to be leveled in the world.

Right-click their name in the chat box, hit "report"

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Hopefully a game master saw it.

A what?

Hachiman
Jun 17, 2018

GM, game master, game manager, game moderator.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bboe1FRs2nI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Hachiman posted:

GM, game master, game manager, game moderator.

No such animal, unless you mean the tier 1 customer support people who answer emails.