Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Are there any mods that produce a warrior lodge for Christians? Now that I've gone pagan it's hard to go back. Something like a chivalric order would be pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure how you do that now. I declared a GHW for Saxony as the Scandi Empire, won with 99% of warscore, then watched it become an independent kingdom. I was never given an option to set beneficiary.

The Crusades mechanic is christian (catholic?) only. Can patriarchs even declare crusades?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

The Crusades mechanic is christian (catholic?) only. Can patriarchs even declare crusades?

No, Orthodoxy doesn't get crusades at all. Neither does Nestorian or Miaphysite.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Gobblecoque posted:

They give your character a permanent +2 bonus to martial, stewardship, or diplomacy, respectively.

Thanks. That's pretty disappointing, I thought it might be something more involved (like a new cultural troop for strategy, etc)

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Captain Mediocre posted:

Are there any mods that produce a warrior lodge for Christians? Now that I've gone pagan it's hard to go back. Something like a chivalric order would be pretty neat.

There was one called just that, The Chivalric Orders, I'm pretty sure. It gives you a martial society similar to the warrior lodge prior to the crusading era, then once the crusades begin it gives you the option to be a lay member of any of the military orders, as well. This gets a little weird and I kind of wish they would culture lock those orders or something so that you don't wind up with your Irish court being entirely Knights of Calatrava or whatever, but it's serviceable enough although I think the warrior lodges do produce slightly better murderers in the long run.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Her husband makes 2.28 gold a month lol.

On an unrelated note, my soon to be designated heir is a little badass. He's probably going to end up being the one who finishes conquering the world.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Wessex and Somerset still have flipped CoAs.

Literally unplayable.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Jedit posted:

I'm not sure how you do that now. I declared a GHW for Saxony as the Scandi Empire, won with 99% of warscore, then watched it become an independent kingdom. I was never given an option to set beneficiary.

For GHWs you can right click on someone and set them as your beneficiary. Or it might be right clicking on yourself and choosing someone, I forget. The option is there but you don’t get the same info screen as the crusades. The only GHW I was in we lost, so I don’t actually know how all of that stuff works out.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Cantorsdust posted:

Get the 3.0.1.1 beta hotfix. You have to opt into it in Steam though.

Thanks, that was seriously driving me nuts.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
My old laptop died, so once I got a new one, finally started my first Holy Fury game. Playing as Barcelona. How does the Reconquista thing work? It seems like they're adventurer style holy wars, the two wars I've witnessed had leaders with no titles aside from the reconquista title leading them. I thought Iberian dukes and kings could wage these wars? Haven't seen any pop ups saying it's a new option on the intrigue screen? Am I just blind?

Is it because I swore fealty to the French king?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 10, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

My old laptop died, so once I got a new one, finally started my first Holy Fury game. Playing as Barcelona. How does the Reconquista thing work? It seems like they're adventurer style holy wars, the two wars I've witnessed had leaders with no titles aside from the reconquista title leading them. I thought Iberian dukes and kings could wage these wars? Haven't seen any pop ups saying it's a new option on the intrigue screen? Am I just blind?

Is it because I swore fealty to the French king?

The adventurer reconquista thing is part of it but landed rulers can do it as well. It's an intrigue option (something along the lines of "plan reconquista", but it might not be available if you aren't independent.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The adventurer reconquista thing is part of it but landed rulers can do it as well. It's an intrigue option (something along the lines of "plan reconquista", but it might not be available if you aren't independent.

It won't be available if you're a vassal to a king because your reconquista war will be for a de jure kingdom. Not sure if you can be a duke vassal to an emperor and get away with it but I don't see why not.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
I see...guess I'll just have to plot for independence earlier than I expected.

Swearing to France as Barcelona is just a no brainer early on. You're basically untouchable and can wage holy wars at will. I've gained 4 counties in 10-15 years.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Captain Mediocre posted:

You can actually get into the pagan warrior societies as a Christian in certain circumstances. You have to be bordering them and be tribal yourself (or have sympathy for pagans?). Not 100% sure but I’ve done it as a Vlach count (though the Tengri bonuses ain’t great, it’s nice to not die in battle anymore.)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I just had a Crusade called on me by the Pope. If I go siege down Rome, will that give me the win? Or do I have to hold the Holy Land until the Crusaders get bored and go home?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vengarr posted:

I just had a Crusade called on me by the Pope. If I go siege down Rome, will that give me the win? Or do I have to hold the Holy Land until the Crusaders get bored and go home?

Quickly overwhelming the Pope will give you 100% war score. It's why I like to have him with land somewhere, so any crusades against me (or my neighbors) will be quickly resolved.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

While we're on the topic, what makes the Pope decide to call off a crusade? Is it just if his relative strength is too low and he doesn't think he'll win?

I say this because my Hellenic Roman Empire just hit Justinian's borders and the Pope's called off three crusades in a row for Italy. Let's fuckin' throw down, you little dick.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ninjahedgehog posted:

I say this because my Hellenic Roman Empire just hit Justinian's borders and the Pope's called off three crusades in a row for Italy. Let's fuckin' throw down, you little dick.

If the Pope won't come to you, clearly you must come to the Pope.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Two questions.

1. If you declare war on someone with “potential vassal ally troops” do the latter join based on whether they like the target? Also, why is this a ridiculously high number so often?

2. What factors determine whether someone joins a holy war (other than same faith)? Can people of your faith join the offensive side if they’re not allies?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

snoremac posted:

1. If you declare war on someone with “potential vassal ally troops” do the latter join based on whether they like the target? Also, why is this a ridiculously high number so often?

I'm not sure exactly what influences whether vassals will join but I think it's mostly based on how much the vassal likes their liege. The number is super high because those vassals can contribute all of their their own troops (including retinue) rather than the traditional liege levy that's just a percentage of the vassal's levy. An important thing to note is that while vassals can freely decline to join their lord, if they do join then they don't get any opinion penalty from raising their levy for too long.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

If the Pope won't come to you, clearly you must come to the Pope.

Already did, I'm kicking my heels up in Rome (after burning down all of his churches, natch) while his candy-rear end is hiding out in the Pope Dimension

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
My catholic lady queen needs to ditch greedy to have a decent chance at becoming a saint in her unlife, what's a reliable go-to?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gamerofthegame posted:

My catholic lady queen needs to ditch greedy to have a decent chance at becoming a saint in her unlife, what's a reliable go-to?

Joining a Holy Order will purge your sinful traits with time.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
So diseases are just health and stat debuffs without any timers like "you can only live for x years if you have this disease", huh? Because my ruler just lived something like 40 years with cancer, which is kinda ridiculous. (Diagnosed at 21, died at 61)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Lt. Lizard posted:

So diseases are just health and stat debuffs without any timers like "you can only live for x years if you have this disease", huh? Because my ruler just lived something like 40 years with cancer, which is kinda ridiculous. (Diagnosed at 21, died at 61)

I'm not sure early-medieval doctors were any good at working out what was and what wasn't an aggressive form of cancer.
Maybe you just had a benign tumour?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

binge crotching posted:

Quickly overwhelming the Pope will give you 100% war score. It's why I like to have him with land somewhere, so any crusades against me (or my neighbors) will be quickly resolved.

Update: you can now only gain a maximum of 85% war score from Occupation if you’re the defender in a Crusade. Might be a Holy Fury feature? The old “Blitzkrieg on Rome” strategy is much riskier now since it doesn’t automatically win you the war. If the Crusaders take a bite out of your lands while you’re away, you might not even get a white peace.

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Vengarr posted:

Update: you can now only gain a maximum of 85% war score from Occupation if you’re the defender in a Crusade. Might be a Holy Fury feature? The old “Blitzkrieg on Rome” strategy is much riskier now since it doesn’t automatically win you the war. If the Crusaders take a bite out of your lands while you’re away, you might not even get a white peace.

Yes, that time-saver was changed in the Jade Dragon patch.
code:
Defenders against great holy wars (Crusades, Jihads, reformed pagan great holy wars) will now be capped at 85% occupation warscore to
avoid 'Omnes viae Romam ducunt' blitzing.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

is there a mod that actually lets you destroy the pope once and for all

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

How the hell do I get people to join my secret Hellenic cult? Making them sympathetic to pagans is easy, but I can't get them to read the drat book I've left them. I've tried it on friends, my wife, other people who have 100 opinion on me, and have been unsuccessful every time. I thought maybe if they were cynical that might help, but it hasn't made a difference so far. I've even reloaded upon failing so I could try all of the available options, but nothing seems to matter. Is it just a very low chance, even if they have a maxed out opinion of me? I'd try asking children, but it looks like you can only ask them if they're in your court and I don't have any that are old enough yet anyway.

I thought being a secret pagan would be fun, but not if I'm the only one in the club.

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

How the hell do I get people to join my secret Hellenic cult? Making them sympathetic to pagans is easy, but I can't get them to read the drat book I've left them. I've tried it on friends, my wife, other people who have 100 opinion on me, and have been unsuccessful every time. I thought maybe if they were cynical that might help, but it hasn't made a difference so far. I've even reloaded upon failing so I could try all of the available options, but nothing seems to matter. Is it just a very low chance, even if they have a maxed out opinion of me? I'd try asking children, but it looks like you can only ask them if they're in your court and I don't have any that are old enough yet anyway.

I thought being a secret pagan would be fun, but not if I'm the only one in the club.

I'm pretty sure it's a low chance, but it's affected by their traits and rank is well - like, IIRC it's easier to convert untitled and inquisitive folks than uncurious dukes.

Make sure you're tutoring children whenever possible, too. Even if you can't convert a duke, converting his son and then killing the old man is just as good.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Just got a Crusade called for Croatia, which is already unusual, and I was wondering how a Muslim ruler had ended up there.

But they didn't.

Croatia is under Jewish control.

Because of course it is.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

Cancer is rather amusingly one of the game's most benign diseases since the only side effect is -20% fertility. If you can offset the -3 health (which is pretty easy: hunting focus alone can get you to +3 since it can get you the hunting dog and brawny) then it's no big deal.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

This would actually be significantly more work than you'd think, because a lot of the game's events are rooted on the Pope. They did that because it was safe to assume that he would always exist in some form (even if Catholicism is overtaken by a heresy and wiped off the map, the Pope still exists as an unlanded character and will continue to generate successors when he dies). Completely destroying the title would break a lot of the game.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

Probably not-- a lot of events, like the Mongol invasions, use events that are keyed off the holder of k_papacy with the assumption that he'll always exist. Deleting him tends to break the game in some really weird ways

edit: haha drat, what he said ^^^

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Stairmaster posted:

I know that HIP transfers all of the pope’s event importance to some offmap NPC

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This would actually be significantly more work than you'd think, because a lot of the game's events are rooted on the Pope. They did that because it was safe to assume that he would always exist in some form (even if Catholicism is overtaken by a heresy and wiped off the map, the Pope still exists as an unlanded character and will continue to generate successors when he dies). Completely destroying the title would break a lot of the game.

It's doable to create a mod that will change that, but such a pain in the rear end to update so many events/decisions. In one of the recent patches Stellaris created a dedicated event country, I'm assuming at some point (probably ck3) we'll get that to replace the Pope.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lt. Lizard posted:

Cancer doesn't automatically kill you in a matter of months. Some cancers do it more slowly and there are always those weird outlier people who survive for decades with poo poo that would kill most other people within a year. I don't think the numbers are actually posted anywhere but your health attribute is really just your chance to die at any random time. Your health gets worse with age and with diseases but if your health is good enough and the rolls go your way you can survive absurd amounts of times even if you want to die.

In the real world sometimes even terminal cancers just randomly go into remission or quit growing and all the doctors do is go :shrug: "no idea what the gently caress but I guess the cancer decided you get to live a while longer."

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

It's very weird. I was having the same experience, and I found that the listed AI weights to accept or reject my offer did not seem to match up to the in-game behaviors - I'd get mostly rejections when theoretically I should have been seeing 90 or 95% chance of success. Wasn't able to figure out why, either.

edit: Uh, strike that, I think I may have just figured it out. It looks like the character to be persuaded gets a minor little decision that echoes the major one to themselves - so when the major one checks FROM's traits, they're looking at themself instead of at you. Which would make basically none of the stats you have or choices you make matter.

Of course, fixing that is probably going to make secret cults somewhat nastier to deal with when you're not in one.

Has secret cult induction really been broken this whole time...?

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 11, 2018

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Cancer doesn't automatically kill you in a matter of months. Some cancers do it more slowly and there are always those weird outlier people who survive for decades with poo poo that would kill most other people within a year. I don't think the numbers are actually posted anywhere but your health attribute is really just your chance to die at any random time. Your health gets worse with age and with diseases but if your health is good enough and the rolls go your way you can survive absurd amounts of times even if you want to die.

In the real world sometimes even terminal cancers just randomly go into remission or quit growing and all the doctors do is go :shrug: "no idea what the gently caress but I guess the cancer decided you get to live a while longer."

Hell, there's a small proportion of people with ALS who go on to live another 30-40 years after the disease kicks in, e.g. Stephen Hawking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's a new LP out:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876396

The LP follows a Slavic pagan dynasty in the Balkans, and features thread vote participation, so check this out if you want to help lead the Vlastimirovic family to greatness!