Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

apatheticman posted:

They would if they had someone leading them who isn't the human manifestation of a wet blanket.

Sounds like a job for Dough Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

apatheticman posted:

They would if they had someone leading them who isn't the human manifestation of a wet blanket.

Um, you are aware that 2006 through 2015 happened, correct?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

apatheticman posted:

Sheer isn’t going to get them there on his own merits. However in Canada we only vote against parties, so all it takes is a Liberal cabinet minister to decide to waste a couple million on something dumb and it is Right Honour PM Sheer to you.

I personally am not going to bet against Liberal corruption and wouldn’t recommend you do it either.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Canada's "Steady hand on the tiller" years, good times.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Canada's "Steady hand on the tiller" years, good times.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Someone make a joke about Nickelback and Stephen Harper getting rid of pennies

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

He's somehow even blander than Harper.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Somehow all the Liberal candidates were even worse.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/nine-arrested-one-charged-as-tempers-flare-at-parliament-hill-demonstration/amp

Lovely to see that cops will defend white supremacists here at Parliament Hill just like they do down in the states.

Great angle on that photo too, made it look like a well-attended demonstration instead of the ball pit at dashcon.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I mean, Harper would've been out on his rear end after one short minority government if the Liberal insiders hadn't decided that he was preferable as PM to the person literally chosen by their own base.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Y'all keep posting reasons why it literally does not matter if the Cons are helmed by "the human manifestation of a wet blanket"

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Over the last 30 years or so the Liberals won elections in one of two ways:

1. Right wing vote split (Manning/Chretien era)
2. They run a high-charisma candidate AND the NDP doesn't. (Trudeau/Mulcair era)

They lost elections generally:

1. After they've been in power too long and get too greedy at the trough. (Martin)
2. They run a low-charisma candidate AND the NDP doesn't. (Iggy/Layton)

Most of this holds true in Ontario provincial politics as well.

So, I think Liberals are set for another win. I actually think Jagmeet is fine as a candidate, but he would need Obama levels of charisma to win any amount of votes. Boomer Canada is not going to turn out for a brown-skinned left of centre candidate. Bernier will siphon off a few right wing votes, and the liberals will sneak up the middle. Justin has charisma, and his team is pretty canny--all they really need to do is not gently caress up.

The most pragmatic thing a leftist can do is try to make the Liberals fear losing votes to the NDP and hope they pivot left and drop a few crumbs.

This has been my depressing election take.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Hmm... campaign to the left... govern from the right...

By god, you might be on to something there

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Seldom Posts posted:

The most pragmatic thing a leftist can do is try to make the Liberals fear losing votes to the NDP and hope they pivot left and drop a few crumbs.

As long as people believe this, the country will continue to go right indefinitely. Either at a brisk pace under the Conservatives or at a moderate one under the Liberals. If whatever passes for the left in Canada can't manage anything better than the pointless centrist trash that make up the NDP now, then this country deserves the loss of universal healthcare that's coming in the next couple decades.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

So how do you win over someone who intends to vote for a short-sighted, bigoted ignoramus without also calling that person a short-sighted, bigoted ignoramus?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

So how do you win over someone who intends to vote for a short-sighted, bigoted ignoramus without also calling that person a short-sighted, bigoted ignoramus?

One thing that might help is figuring out why they're voting for the idiot and then trying to convince them someone else will achieve that goal better than the idiot.

I've also read that when doing the convincing part, it's easier to get people to question their own beliefs if you ask "how" questions instead of "why" questions. Like "how exactly will abolishing income tax raise the state's income?" rather than "why are you such a complete loving moron?" Force them to explain their beliefs in greater depth than a soundbite or talking point and sometimes people who believe things they've never actually thought about will realize their beliefs make no sense.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

zapplez posted:

When Justin was elected I thought for sure it would be atleast two terms of libs in federal power, but I am 100% certain that the CPC wins the next fed election.

The CPC is in an absolute freefall right now and people within the party are already questioning if Scheer should last beyond next year

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DariusLikewise posted:

The CPC is in an absolute freefall right now and people within the party are already questioning if Scheer should last beyond next year

And still with scheer they are polling much higher than the libs

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Another thing that helps is that to create emotional distance between the idea or action you are critisizing and the person. Now if you have a really close connection with the person you are trying to reach, you can have a heart to heart and maybe they will change their view a bit. If you are not long term close friends but have some connection, then you need to make it easy on their ego. Even if they say racist things about immigrants or other bad thoughts, you should not call them a racist or I imply that because they hold a bad belief it is a reflection of their character. It has to be as easier for them to drop the idea as it is to reject the idea. That being said it is still not going to work all that often and the biggest battle is generally moving someone from a social and media landscape where bad ideas are reinforced.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

zapplez posted:

And still with scheer they are polling much higher than the libs

:thunk:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I feel like I have more confidence in a witch doctor gazing at entrails than polling firms when it comes to election predictions.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Polling Firms = Fine, within margin of error
Poll Analysts = Morons who think they know it all after passing entry level stats

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don't like to make predictions about basically anything but a CPC win would involve an almost unprecedented seat swing for a single-term government. CPC needs to pick up 73 seats from either the Liberal's 181, NDP's 41 or Bloc's 10, in an election where you have to figure the Liberals can siphon off a lot of NDP ridings. That is one heck of a tough row to hoe when the CPC is already sitting on all their "safe" ridings, their leader is relatively new and unknown, the LPC isn't particularly unpopular (as far as these things go in Canada), and the economy is doing "well". Also right now the Quebec government is probably at least semi-friendly to the LPC, and it's not clear that Doug Ford helps the CPC or hurts them, maybe a bit of both. Anything can happen I guess but it seems like the safe bet right now would be another LPC majority.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

leftist heap posted:

I don't like to make predictions about basically anything but a CPC win would involve an almost unprecedented seat swing for a single-term government. CPC needs to pick up 73 seats from either the Liberal's 181, NDP's 41 or Bloc's 10, in an election where you have to figure the Liberals can siphon off a lot of NDP ridings. That is one heck of a tough row to hoe when the CPC is already sitting on all their "safe" ridings, their leader is relatively new and unknown, the LPC isn't particularly unpopular (as far as these things go in Canada), and the economy is doing "well". Also right now the Quebec government is probably at least semi-friendly to the LPC, and it's not clear that Doug Ford helps the CPC or hurts them, maybe a bit of both. Anything can happen I guess but it seems like the safe bet right now would be another LPC majority.

I would also add that from a National Vote Share point of view the last CPC majority came from when the Liberals collapse and hit a 18% vote share, unless there is a drastic shift that's not happening again.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Is Forum paid for by the cons? It must have been the one I saw recently that had them in a big lead.

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 10, 2018

Yellow Ant
Feb 28, 2016
Don't give money to white nationalists. They don't need it, or deserve it. Give that money to a charity or local cause. Offer rides to people who may not get out to vote and use that money for gas and coffee. Buy your friends and family subscriptions to the Toronto Star to get them to look at another news source. Buy social media ads to remind people of voting dates or something I don't know. There are so many better ways to spend $400.

People barely know who Scheer is and the CPC is polling poorly. Don't give either Bernier or Scheer a boost.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zapplez posted:

Is Forum paid for the cons? It must have been the one I saw recently that had them in a big lead.

Forum pretty consistently shows higher Conservative popularity for municipal, provincial, and federal polls than anyone else.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Canada's version of the gilets jaunes got co-opted by Sons of Odin, La Meute and other organized racists in about 5 seconds flat. Early members of the "Yellow Vests Canada" facebook page were begging people to stop being racist and yelling about white genocide on their page to no avail. A ready-made, authentic, grassroots anti-carbon tax movement with cross-party appeal instantly neutered by the far right lol

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 10, 2018

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Forum exists solely to provide an authoritative source of a fake number in print. They always report +5-10% bias for the conservatives but lay people don’t know this. So when there’s an effective tie in the polling or liberals are leading then postmedia can just report the Forum number and mislead all its dumbass readers.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

THC posted:

Canada's version of the gilets jaunes got co-opted by Sons of Odin, La Meute and other organized racists in about 5 seconds flat. Early members of the "Yellow Vests Canada" facebook page were begging people to stop being racist and yelling about white genocide on their page to no avail. A ready-made, authentic, grassroots anti-carbon tax movement with cross-party appeal instantly neutered by the far right lol

Holy poo poo that page is a gold mine of insanity.

I lol'd at the one person being like "RT wants to interview me" and they're all like, "do it!!!"

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

We need a Canada Solidaire party

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Man, I sat through four hours of First Nations cultural sensitivity training today and it was pretty eye opening how different things are back east.

Namely that this would never happen back west and people in BC are pretty comfortably insulated from what we did and continue to do to 'em. The nations are better off in BC, sometimes, but has that come at a cultural cost between us?

The Albertans in the room were the most visibly dismissive of it all.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Haha cultural cost between us? Could you expand upon what you mean by that?

If you look at provinces like Manitoba and think that cultural exchange was beneficial to both parties, enough to consider the lack of cultural exchange to be a cost to have not happen to such a large degree in BC, that's just a little odd.

I understand that it isn't really your intention to say that, and you're probably thinking out loud. But contact between colonizers and indigenous people in Canada has been incredibly destructive to indigenous people, I don't think any knowledge or friendship gained from cultural exchange outweighs that fact.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Rime posted:

Man, I sat through four hours of First Nations cultural sensitivity training today and it was pretty eye opening how different things are back east.

Namely that this would never happen back west and people in BC are pretty comfortably insulated from what we did and continue to do to 'em. The nations are better off in BC, sometimes, but has that come at a cultural cost between us?

I'm curious, what do they cover in one of those?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I'm curious, what do they cover in one of those?

Big old history of how we hosed up the First Nations starting in 1700's, discussion of stereotypes, coverage of cultural things specific to the local tribe, it was a lot of ground to cover.

Toalpaz posted:

Haha cultural cost between us? Could you expand upon what you mean by that?

If you look at provinces like Manitoba and think that cultural exchange was beneficial to both parties, enough to consider the lack of cultural exchange to be a cost to have not happen to such a large degree in BC, that's just a little odd.

I understand that it isn't really your intention to say that, and you're probably thinking out loud. But contact between colonizers and indigenous people in Canada has been incredibly destructive to indigenous people, I don't think any knowledge or friendship gained from cultural exchange outweighs that fact.

We'll, I'm saying that out here you have the same level of destruction but they're also still segregated on reserves so that destruction is ver Visibly continuing. In BC, at least on the coast where I am thinking out loud about, the reserve land is so wildly uninhabitable by modern lifestyles that they've largely migrated to towns instead and as a result massively lost touch with their own cultures.

I've never heard someone speak a coast dialect nearly as fluently as the dude today spoke Anishinabwaein, for example, and my aunt is full blood. Mmmm, oolichan grease.

So what I'm trying to say is that we have fancy Salish highway signs in BC and make a big thing about Unceeded lands before every event, and the reserves aren't as visibly hosed up, but the level of cultural damage and hence ability to share that culture with us is way way worse out here. And that's a drat shame. Especially since Vancouver hipsters pretend otherwise.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Prepare for more outrage articles again

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada/2018/12/10/1_4212189.html

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

I'll do you one better.

Omar Khadr to ask for Canadian passport to travel, permission to speak to sister

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rime posted:

But First Nations sensitivity training actually is a thing in BC too... though it tends to be limited to organizations who either will be dealing with FN in significant numbers (ie, government/certain non-profits) or those who have a lot of FN employees (ie, projects on band land that have priority hiring). This latter reason may apply to your current project, too?

It's also rear end-covering damage control, places where someone has kicked up a fuss about perceived racism, valid or not...

For whatever reason (employer choice), most of the women in my family have been through it multiple times over the years although the guys haven't.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

quote:

changes to his bail conditions which were imposed while he appeals war crime convictions by a U.S. military commission

Convictions that should never have been entered here. Vary them all you want.

Zaynab Khadr is probably a terrorist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Rime posted:

Big old history of how we hosed up the First Nations starting in 1700's, discussion of stereotypes, coverage of cultural things specific to the local tribe, it was a lot of ground to cover.

We'll, I'm saying that out here you have the same level of destruction but they're also still segregated on reserves so that destruction is ver Visibly continuing. In BC, at least on the coast where I am thinking out loud about, the reserve land is so wildly uninhabitable by modern lifestyles that they've largely migrated to towns instead and as a result massively lost touch with their own cultures.

I've never heard someone speak a coast dialect nearly as fluently as the dude today spoke Anishinabwaein, for example, and my aunt is full blood. Mmmm, oolichan grease.

So what I'm trying to say is that we have fancy Salish highway signs in BC and make a big thing about Unceeded lands before every event, and the reserves aren't as visibly hosed up, but the level of cultural damage and hence ability to share that culture with us is way way worse out here. And that's a drat shame. Especially since Vancouver hipsters pretend otherwise.

It depends on the reserve. There's quite a bit of difference between the Musquem reserves in the west end and the Shuswap in the interior.

I'm not sure your examples support your point. Increasingly constant renaming of places and acknowledging of land title isn't really a sign of culture loss, kinda the opposite. Even mere preservation is pretty much a gain after the past few centuries. It's not like us settlers begin to use original place-names out of nowhere, these are the results of years of agitation/negotiation by Indigenous groups.