Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Sophism posted:

There's a pretty strong academic backing nowadays that point to Nero being historically misrepresented for political reasons, and the anecdote that Nero played fiddle while Rome burned specifically is pretty much ruled out completely.

Another example that features in FGO is Marie Antoinette's "Let them eat cake!" which was actually a quote that predated her and was attributed to Marie posthumously, most likely once again to frame her in a negative light.

Sure, but that's trying to have your cake and eat it, too, no pun intended. You can't say that Columbus is the way he is because that's how he's remembered, but Drake isn't how she actually was because she wasn't remembered that way, and then also say Nero wasn't /actually/ a bad person in real life so it doesn't count.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The truth is they just do what they think is cool and don't actually care about consistency.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Ibram Gaunt posted:

The truth is they just do what they think is cool and don't actually care about consistency.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
IN GODDESS TIME

She was so thirsty for DA GEMS she temporarily reverted to Rin. It turns out F/GO is the dark timeline of Barkley 2 where Barkley serves Square-Enix Goya.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Where the hell are the Three Musketeers? Serious question because they seem like they should be here somewhere.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

RanKizama posted:

Where the hell are the Three Musketeers? Serious question because they seem like they should be here somewhere.

On a CE

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Isn't that just the three Cu's being silly though?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I was wrong, they were in side materials. It was a pseudoservant-ified track and field trio.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vengarr posted:

Just :lol: at Oppenheimer not being a Pseudo-Servant incarnation of Shiva.

That's a different Servant though. ;)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Blade Runner posted:

The reason there's so much Ishtar hate is because Fate is just an inevitably Gil-centric series and she's an utterly, irredeemably bad person in the EoG so that kinda colors perceptions of her

This page illustrates pretty neatly why I don't think that's a particularly good argument. If we perceive FGO characters through the lenses of their original histories and mythologies, something between half and three-quarter of FGO characters suddenly become complete assholes, so why make exception for Ishtar?

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The difference between Columbus and Drake is that Columbus apologia still exists IRL—there's still a day named after the guy, for gently caress's sake. Nobody thinks Francis Drake was a good guy, at least where I live, so for them to be portrayed as such in fiction isn't a big deal.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
So were the Central and South America deities brought to Earth by ORT? Or by Altera? Or just some random rear end meteor that happened to have divine stuff on it?

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

J.A.B.C. posted:

Also, the implication that Rider Nero would be The Whore of Babylon, one of the portents for the end of the world making her want to be the best class, Saber.
So you're saying that if Nero joined Quetz's wrestling league she'd come out to an Avenged Sevenfold song? :v:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Actual servants we as a society need:
A "normal" Heracles
saber cucuhlain bazzette pseudo servant
Santa medea wearing something scandalous

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Stairmaster posted:

Actual servants we as a society need:
A "normal" Heracles
saber cucuhlain bazzette pseudo servant
Santa medea wearing something scandalous

Bazett would likely be a Lugh (Or Manann.) pseudo-servant if anything, just because of Fragarach.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

they're probably saving Regular!Heracles for a Greek singularity later

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Lt. Lizard posted:

This page illustrates pretty neatly why I don't think that's a particularly good argument. If we perceive FGO characters through the lenses of their original histories and mythologies, something between half and three-quarter of FGO characters suddenly become complete assholes, so why make exception for Ishtar?

Again, because there's a really big focus on Gil and Enkidu. If there were a really big focus on Boudicca's story and she were as important to the franchise as Artoria, I really doubt we'd have as sympathetic a portrayal of Nero as we do.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I am reminded of the fact that Azura drew up a young version of Heracles once, and I'd think it'd be awesome if he showed up in FGO.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

twunkules

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Rorahusky posted:

I am reminded of the fact that Azura drew up a young version of Heracles once, and I'd think it'd be awesome if he showed up in FGO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa0lMzaljTk

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxHlS3ndpY4

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Rorahusky posted:

You can't fool me, that's just Diarmuid.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I really appreciate that they redid all of the Story Support's lines solely for the final battle of Babylonia. Too bad they still don't have in-battle subtitles.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There is some conflicting info going around in the discord regarding the gameplay for the next singularity; I'm not sure I need to spoil this but just to be safe: are ALL pillar raids available immediately, or does it go one-by-one with one opening up after the previous dies?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
on the topic of servants that would never make it into the game, cyrano

CYRANO DE BERGERAC

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I mentioned it once way back, but, I'm surprised that Morgan from Arthurian legend isn't a Servant.
I mean, wasn't she Merlin's rival in terms of Magecraft? And she's obviously a key figure in the Lore.
Seems like she should be a shoe-in for Caster class.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
She was shown in Apocrypha anime and is the mythical Caster class Saber-face. There is a Camelot Lost-belt planned if I recall correctly, so there is pretty good chance she will be there.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

the_steve posted:

I mentioned it once way back, but, I'm surprised that Morgan from Arthurian legend isn't a Servant.
I mean, wasn't she Merlin's rival in terms of Magecraft? And she's obviously a key figure in the Lore.

She’s a Saberface, so it’s only a matter of time, and one of the future Lostbelts is Camelot. That would probably be one of the best times to add her

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

Lt. Lizard posted:

and is the mythical Caster class Saber-face.

I thought that was Proto Merlin?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Caster-class saberface isn't mythical, we already have a Caster Nero. It's a Caster Seiba that is mythical, and it can only be Master Arturia.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

The Caster-class saberface isn't mythical, we already have a Caster Nero. It's a Caster Seiba that is mythical, and it can only be Master Arturia.

I don't accept Caster Nero as Caster Saber-face. She is just swimsuit variation of Nero who is already Saber-face in different class. That's just cheating. :colbert:

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Lt. Lizard posted:

I don't accept Caster Nero as Caster Saber-face. She is just swimsuit variation of Nero who is already Saber-face in different class. That's just cheating. :colbert:

Technically that rule would also exclude the majority of Saberfaces that we already have

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
We are missing a Caster Artoria, not a Caster Saberface. Proto Merlin is the closest thing we're gonna get since she's actually voiced by Kawasumi and the Proto versions are supposed to be parallels to the mainline Artoria and Merlin.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

the_steve posted:

Aside from what everyone has already said about a Camelot lostbelt: I'd bet actual money that until FGO became the runaway star child of the nasuvetse, Nasu had plans for some kind of sequel to FSN with Morgan as a major character, because her extremely conspicuous absence in literally every Fate work is the kind of thing that only happens when the person in charge specifically orders people not to do a thing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

give me dagonet or give me death

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

There is some conflicting info going around in the discord regarding the gameplay for the next singularity; I'm not sure I need to spoil this but just to be safe: are ALL pillar raids available immediately, or does it go one-by-one with one opening up after the previous dies?

someone please

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Aside from what everyone has already said about a Camelot lostbelt: I'd bet actual money that until FGO became the runaway star child of the nasuvetse, Nasu had plans for some kind of sequel to FSN with Morgan as a major character, because her extremely conspicuous absence in literally every Fate work is the kind of thing that only happens when the person in charge specifically orders people not to do a thing.
There is a weird amount of detail given to her in garden of avalon even though she's never onscreen.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

dogsicle posted:

someone please

I remember them being simultaneous

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Exia posted:

Technically that rule would also exclude the majority of Saberfaces that we already have

Look, you can be either a class variation of original Saber, or Saber look-alike. But being class variation of Saber look-alike is simply too much. Rider Mordred also doesn't count as Rider Saber-face, but Artoria Alter Rider does. Also MHX is both class variation of original Saber and Saber look-alike and thus is supreme Saber-face.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Gologle posted:

So were the Central and South America deities brought to Earth by ORT? Or by Altera? Or just some random rear end meteor that happened to have divine stuff on it?

There are pretty strong implications that they were specifically brought there by the Chicxulub impact, as in the one that probably wiped out the dinosaurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
...I do not know why you would try to understand Quetz. That strength is absolutely bonkers.:stare: