Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is Game of the Year?
This poll is closed.
Celeste 33 7.10%
Spider-man 10 2.15%
Red Dead Redemption 2 32 6.88%
Super Smash Brothers Ultimate 32 6.88%
Monster Hunter World 63 13.55%
God of War 26 5.59%
Into the Breach 7 1.51%
Hitman 2 17 3.66%
Dragon Ball Fighterz 4 0.86%
Blazblue Cross Tag Battle 0 0%
Tetris Effect 2 0.43%
Graveyard Keep 3 0.65%
Octopath Traveler 6 1.29%
Assassin's Creed Odyssey 12 2.58%
Bloodstained Curse of the Moon 5 1.08%
Something not listed multiplatform 18 3.87%
Something not listed by Nintendo 1 0.22%
Something not listed by Sony 2 0.43%
Something not listed by Microsoft 1 0.22%
Something not listed on PC 15 3.23%
Something not listed that's indie 15 3.23%
Something that came out late last year 2 0.43%
Something that didn't come out this year but you played this year 23 4.95%
Something that doesn't fit other categories but you want anyways 4 0.86%
Bowsette 132 28.39%
Total: 465 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Let us not kid ourselves by thinking pewdiepie isn't still hugely relevant. In 2 weeks he gained 5 million subscribers, the population of entire countries. People shouldn't talk about him because god drat he doesn't need any more loving press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

al-azad posted:

Breath of the Wild is open world and Between Worlds is arguable once you reach a certain point but the other Zeldas are built around gating your progress until you acquire a certain item and that's the big "this isn't open world" qualifier for me. Some open world games will gate you through the narrative but the Zelda series has different flavors of doors blocking you whether it's a literal key or a fence only a horse can jump over for some reason.

Those are narrative gates as well.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

al-azad posted:

Let us not kid ourselves by thinking pewdiepie isn't still hugely relevant. In 2 weeks he gained 5 million subscribers, the population of entire countries. People shouldn't talk about him because god drat he doesn't need any more loving press.

Like I mentioned, literally in the past 24 hours he made the news again by recommending his viewers to this guy

al-azad
May 28, 2009

chumbler posted:

Those are narrative gates as well.

Clarification: in every open world game I've played you're never actually forbidden from accessing a place without cheating/glitching it's just either impossible to complete because you'll be underpowered or in the case of Rockstar games they'll just make everyone shoot at you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Black August posted:

oh boy a misogynist racist piece of talking pigshit

What

What'd he do that was racist

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

he’s a high profile white game streamer, throw a dart and i’ll tell you where it lands

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

al-azad posted:

Clarification: in every open world game I've played you're never actually forbidden from accessing a place without cheating/glitching it's just either impossible to complete because you'll be underpowered or in the case of Rockstar games they'll just make everyone shoot at you.

GTA used to lock parts of the city, same for Infamous and probably some others, especially in urban settings since bridges are a handy way to do it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

What

What'd he do that was racist
are you asking about drake or ninja

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FirstAidKite posted:

Something king's field does better than any souls game by far is its version of trap chests where instead of just having a mimic chest, they'll have skeleton chests.

Nothing quite like opening a chest and just seeing a skeleton rise up out of it to slash you dead

The mimic chests in Nioh are even better because a freaky little Yokai pops out and knocks you on your rear end and you have to communicate with it by using gestures

edit: Also Nioh has Wall Mimics

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

homeless snail posted:

are you asking about drake or ninja

Ninja, because I assumed that's who he was talking about

Though idk about much of anything about either person short of real simple poo poo like "Ninja streams games" and "Drake's a musician" so idk what bad poo poo they've done

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

he’s a high profile white game streamer, throw a dart and i’ll tell you where it lands

here, it lands here https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/3/29/17176408/ninja-fortnite-n-word-stream-logic-apology

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Black August posted:

oh boy a misogynist racist piece of talking pigshit, who will be phased out in two years when he stops being the Cool New Thing and starts to lose revenue because he has no other plans or skills, has made an already-mainstream hobby cool!

*looks over at the horde of mouth-leaking Nazis who loudly identify as Gamers*

Drake has been popular for way more than 2 years dude

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

haven't we all had a heated gaming moment

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/bobby/status/962169824163061761?s=21

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Lmao "saying the n word as part of a rap song" is a classic excuse but saying it when it's not actually one of the words in the song is pushing it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I whacked my controller on the floor out of annoyance yesterday then felt bad about it for the rest of the day I guess

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Lmao woooow

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is sea of thieves fun?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel pretty confident in say all gamer celebrities are pure trash. Like it's not even a generalization at this point.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Is sea of thieves fun?

Not even remotely.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Jay Rust posted:

Is sea of thieves fun?

i dunno if they changed it but you could hold out your lantern and strobe it on and off in people's face so yeah

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sea of Thieves has very pretty water, and I can see its appeal as a very light sailing simulator, but as I recall it had zero content and likely isn't very fun alone. It also seems like the kind of game that is very boring unless something is going wrong like accidentally running aground.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

I said come in! posted:

I feel pretty confident in say all gamer celebrities are pure trash. Like it's not even a generalization at this point.
Sonic Fox though.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

FirstAidKite posted:

Ok but enough about King's Field, what about Ashen?

I like the videos where he eats old food

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

Is sea of thieves fun?
if you have a group, for about an hour, maybe two. its the perfect game pass game lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like the Japanese fighting game guys but it's possible that they're also terrible just in a language that I don't understand

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

all i know is that the comments on niconico is way more readable than youtube comments, and mostly has fewer slurs

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ww

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

every few months I go check out the avgn vids on niconico, because someone over there translates all of his stuff into japanese and writes surprisingly good subtitles. there are a lot of 4channers over there commenting in english and broken japanese, but japanese people love him lmao. and also apparently they love the american original game boy box art art

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I said come in! posted:

How dare you speak ill of Jeff Gerstmann

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Zaphod42 posted:

Two years? I'd be surprised if he's still popular in 6 months.

Haven't heard about pewdiepie or logan paul in months, thank jeebus.

Uh I mean, PewDiePie still has 75 million subscribers, he just hasn't said the N word recently. Logan Paul has 18 million subcribers, and is still uploading videos, the most recent one at 1.4 million views.

Saying the N word and showing an actual corpse from someone who hung themselves hasn't really mattered

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Is sea of thieves fun?
You have to be down with the idea of hanging out on the high seas and doing super repetitive quests to make numbers go up. If you can find competent crewmates that are actually willing to pull their weight it can be pretty great, although a sizeable part of the entertainment is likely to be from making other people on the server as miserable as possible by stealing and/or sinking their stuff before they do the same to you, and if you're not able to be the alpha predator you may get fed up pretty fast with getting sunk at every turn. Some wonderful stories can emerge from interacting with other crews though.

Don't expect much in terms of quests though, the high level stuff is the same basic handful of missions as the low level stuff, and endgame missions are a more tedious version of all that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Every day, tens of thousands of young people who watch YouTubers are explicitly recommended to start following Alt-Right/Redpill/Qanon channels by the streamers themselves.

For an additional few hundred thousand YouTube algorithms help the process along by autoplaying those channels

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Every day, tens of thousands of young people who watch YouTubers are explicitly recommended to start following Alt-Right/Redpill/Qanon channels by the streamers themselves.

Wait, what?…

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
do you think all these nerds rallying around pewdiepie would be as upset about the threat to his throne if it were from a white company

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Looper posted:

do you think all these nerds rallying around pewdiepie would be as upset about the threat to his throne if it were from a white company
they definitely wouldn't care if it was the marvel channel

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm surprised Drake cares about gaming, it's way older than 15.

Nobody else appreciated this joke, but I did.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

FirstAidKite posted:

He's the guy who was all "I can't play video games with other women, it'd feel like I'm cheating on my wife" or something like that yeah?

He's the guy who was all "n****r" because he racist

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

101 posted:

Wait, what?…

I just posted about it upthread, PewDiePie recommended his viewers follow a dude for his anime videos and it turns out they are full of anti-semitic conspiracy theories and making fun of Heather Heyer, the dude's subscribers spiked 15,000+ in one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

FirstAidKite posted:

"Ninja streams games"

That's all you need to know to understand he is racist