Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone got MT3 profile keycaps from Massdrop and can talk about how they feel to type on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Gwaihir posted:

This is really weird to me because Box Whites use a totally different and distinctly much more snappy click mechanism than Blues do to actually generate the sound you hear when pressing the switch.
It's definitely true that you can sorta hover the switch around the action point and actuate it without making the click at all if you don't let it reset all the way back up though.

(I'm currently using box whites on the Massdrop CTRL board and think they sound exceptionally chunking with SA caps on them).

Admittedly it's been a long time since I actually used blues. But when I use box whites I hear two sounds, a nice thunk and then a tinny click, and I'm pretty sure the latter is the sound mechanism and the former is just the cap?

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
There's a click bar that actuates and it shouldn't really sound too different on the downstroke vs upstroke unless you're bottoming out. Really surprised that you prefer the really lovely sounding Cherry blue sleeve-jacket clicks though. Seriously, gently caress those things.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Have the options for anything in Canada gotten better in the past year? Last I remember, unless it was one of the large brands, your options were pretty much Massdrop or bust.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Constellation I posted:

There's a click bar that actuates and it shouldn't really sound too different on the downstroke vs upstroke unless you're bottoming out. Really surprised that you prefer the really lovely sounding Cherry blue sleeve-jacket clicks though. Seriously, gently caress those things.

You misunderstand, I absolutely hate the blue sound. I dislike the box white sound as well, for similar reasons, although you're probably right that it's not as bad.

mewse
May 2, 2006

unpronounceable posted:

Have the options for anything in Canada gotten better in the past year? Last I remember, unless it was one of the large brands, your options were pretty much Massdrop or bust.

Massdrop is awful for us Canadians because they don’t do any of the border paperwork and charge megabux for shipping so you get hosed both ways.

Most of the popular stuff you can order from kbdfans on AliExpress or their own shop and those orders show up without duties owing on them.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Canuck-Errant posted:

Has anyone got MT3 profile keycaps from Massdrop and can talk about how they feel to type on?

I have a set of MT3 /dev/tty Elvish on my Korean not-Topre board because I'm a fuckin' nerd. As a fan of sculpted SA profile, I found that I really like MT3. The profile is slightly lower than SA, and the sculpting seems to fit my typing style better than SA as well. Each key also has a little lip around the top, which feels very interesting in a good way to me. I find they cup my fingertips pleasantly as I type. The lightly pebbled PBT texture feels like velvet against my fingers, too. In short, for me personally they are a great joy to type on.

I think these caps would go best with either clicky or tactile switches.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002
I have a set of /dev/tty as well (non-Elvish) and echo everything said above. In particular, I’ve used them on a Whitefox with Hako Trues and a New Poker II with Cherry MX Blues, and they’re much more pleasant to use on the Blues.

I just ordered a CTRL with no switches/caps, and I’m excited to outfit it with those caps and the Novelkeys click spring switches. (I’m going to do lighter weights for pinky keys and a heavier weight for the space bar, somewhat Realforce-like.)

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Alright, looks like I'm going to go in on the Godspeed set. I just hope I don't get hosed too hard on the customs charges in... June I guess

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Canuck-Errant posted:

June I guess

This being Massdrop, you can probably at best hope that they ship by end of August, with September being a very real possibility

RME
Feb 20, 2012

I’ve only ever ordered one thing off massdrop and it arrived on my doorstep just a few days later. I didn’t learn that this was an anomaly until after and they’re generally extremely slow

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Your Massdrop order was probably for something they already had in stock and ready to ship. This Godspeed MT3 group buy is for something that doesn't even exist yet (outside of some prototypes)

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Canuck-Errant posted:

Alright, looks like I'm going to go in on the Godspeed set. I just hope I don't get hosed too hard on the customs charges in... June I guess

I have a set from the original run of MT3 and they're 100% not my jam. What's your general geographic location? We can probably work something out because they're just sitting in a bag in a box with all my other gear at this point.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Your Massdrop order was probably for something they already had in stock and ready to ship. This Godspeed MT3 group buy is for something that doesn't even exist yet (outside of some prototypes)

Hey Capybara have you tried box royals and hako royal clears? Do they both suck vs the zilents?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

mewse posted:

Hey Capybara have you tried box royals and hako royal clears? Do they both suck vs the zilents?

This was a bizarrely accurate question. I have tried both BOX Royals and Hako Royal Clears, and for me personally I prefer Zilents a lot. The BOX Royals had too strong a load up before the bump, so it felt like punching through a brick wall only to plunge into a steel plate.

The Hako Royal Clears, on the other hand, had too much pressure after the bump for me. After a comparatively pleasant bump, it felt like the switches gave my fingers a retaliatory uppercut each time I typed on them.

Zilents have a nice bump and soft landing, plus they aren't loud as poo poo. They're the best switch I've typed on. As always, typing preferences are very personal, so your experience will likely differ from mine.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
This is a ridiculous question for the sake of a gimmick, but hear me out. What's the most loud, annoying, pingy, modern clicky switch you can think of? I've got a friend that wants to annoy the piss out of one of our mutual friends, and I've got a spare hotswap keyboard that I could just drop switches in for the sake of this comedy. Thusfar, the worst I've found is the Kailh BOX Heavy Pale Blue. I mean, I'd love to grab an old IBM 5251 or one of the other solenoid models, but I feel like $30 or so is the most I can justify on just being an rear end in a top hat to one of my friends.

Edit: Cherry-style stems, please. I could grab Matias switches, but I don't have any ALPS caps handy, so they're off the list.

G-Prime fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 10, 2018

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

G-Prime posted:

This is a ridiculous question for the sake of a gimmick, but hear me out. What's the most loud, annoying, pingy, modern clicky switch you can think of? I've got a friend that wants to annoy the piss out of one of our mutual friends, and I've got a spare hotswap keyboard that I could just drop switches in for the sake of this comedy. Thusfar, the worst I've found is the Kailh BOX Heavy Pale Blue. I mean, I'd love to grab an old IBM 5251 or one of the other solenoid models, but I feel like $30 or so is the most I can justify on just being an rear end in a top hat to one of my friends.

Kailh box navies are pretty loud but I’ve never heard pale blues so idk if they’re louder.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
Oh dang, Navy and Jade are both significantly louder than Pale Blue, now that I'm finding a video. A little less pingy, but that extra volume might make more than enough of a difference.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The true answer is beam springs.

mewse
May 2, 2006

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

This was a bizarrely accurate question. I have tried both BOX Royals and Hako Royal Clears, and for me personally I prefer Zilents a lot. The BOX Royals had too strong a load up before the bump, so it felt like punching through a brick wall only to plunge into a steel plate.

The Hako Royal Clears, on the other hand, had too much pressure after the bump for me. After a comparatively pleasant bump, it felt like the switches gave my fingers a retaliatory uppercut each time I typed on them.

Zilents have a nice bump and soft landing, plus they aren't loud as poo poo. They're the best switch I've typed on. As always, typing preferences are very personal, so your experience will likely differ from mine.

It's so weird noone comes close to zealios :/

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The true answer is beam springs.

I agree with you, and if my price range for a joke were high enough for that, I would hands down do that.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

mewse posted:

It's so weird noone comes close to zealios :/

Yep, I've pretty much tried every tactile (MX switches, anyways) switch out there and keep going back to 67g Zealios. They don't seem that special at first in that you'd think they're just Gateron Browns with a really nice weight and bump. But then you try other switches and just keep coming back to it. My only gripe with them is that Zeal is a greedy piece of poo poo with his pricing.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Constellation I posted:

My only gripe with them is that Zeal is a greedy piece of poo poo with his pricing.

I'm a little salty he launched his v2 switches on Massdrop, and then the day after that group buy ended started his own group buy on his website at a lower price. Those who participated in the latter group buy got their Zealios already, too.

Not even a hint of remorse or guilt from anything I've seen him post, either. Oh well

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Slurps Mad Rips posted:

I have a set from the original run of MT3 and they're 100% not my jam. What's your general geographic location? We can probably work something out because they're just sitting in a bag in a box with all my other gear at this point.

Sent you a PM; as the name implies, I'm (still) in Canada.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I've been looking for a gaming keyboard that is much less loud than my rgb razer mechanical blue but also equally as easy to clean (because the switches are "raised" on a flat plane with no lowered area for the keys, there's literally no place for gunk or dust to get trapped). I was looking for a chiclet-styled kb with silence and easy-clean in mind.

My roommate mentioned she had an old keyboard in her closet from her ~gamer days~, and it turns out its a razer deathstalker, which is essentially everything i wanted on paper. Unfortunately it's...just not a great keyboard. Lots of flex. The plastic not-removable wrist rest creaks when you use it. Some of the keys wont register unless you're pressing on the dead center of them. Some of the function keys like Ctrl & Alt are kinda screwy too unless you tap them from directly above. But at least all the positives are there? It's almost quieter than my generic rubber dome I use at work, and piss-easy to clean with a lysol wipe.

If you guys have suggestions for an alternative to the razer deathstalker, i'd be really happy to hear them! Doesn't really have to be a gaming keyboard either, I just want something that feels quality. The Logitech K360 I used to have also fit this bill, but quality was pretty poor.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

I've been looking for a gaming keyboard that is much less loud than my rgb razer mechanical blue [...] I was looking for a chiclet-styled kb with silence and easy-clean in mind.

Maybe the Roccat Vulcan 120 Aimo?

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

buglord posted:

I've been looking for a gaming keyboard that is much less loud than my rgb razer mechanical blue but also equally as easy to clean (because the switches are "raised" on a flat plane with no lowered area for the keys, there's literally no place for gunk or dust to get trapped). I was looking for a chiclet-styled kb with silence and easy-clean in mind.

Might also check out the new Corsair K70 low profile board too.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Gaming-Keyboards/RGB-Mechanical-Gaming-Keyboards/K70-RGB-MK-2-Low-Profile/p/CH-9109017-NA

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Dang the Roccat and the Corsair are close. Wish they were a bit more understated. Looks incredibly hard to avoid the RGB craze in anything computer related nowadays. I guess I could shut them off. How are Cherry Reds compared to browns with sound? The browns I had in my DAS were a fair deal louder than the OEM membranes I was used to, but that's because I cant break out of my bottoming out habit. Are O-Rings generally useful?

e: oh my K-70 comes in silver :o

buglord fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 10, 2018

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

Grimey Drawer
The Roccat is a dark brushed aluminum, if that makes it any more difficult to choose :v: And a little bit of backlighting definitely can keep a keyboard understated; I'm partial to a slight amber glow just to make it easier to see the keys when I'm in my cave.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

mewse posted:

Massdrop is awful for us Canadians because they don’t do any of the border paperwork and charge megabux for shipping so you get hosed both ways.

Most of the popular stuff you can order from kbdfans on AliExpress or their own shop and those orders show up without duties owing on them.

That sucks, but not unexpected. They don't have anything I want. I'd like a TKL with Cherry Clears or similar, but I guess I'll just have to wait until someone can smuggle a CODE or something across the border for me.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005

mewse posted:

unpronounceable posted:

That sucks, but not unexpected. They don't have anything I want. I'd like a TKL with Cherry Clears or similar, but I guess I'll just have to wait until someone can smuggle a CODE or something across the border for me.

Eh, I wouldn't really say it's awful. Far from it, really. It's just how things are supposed to cost when coming over from the US. Massdrop shipping for keyboard stuff is about $15 USD. Not the best, but not the worst thing in the world. Also not sure what it means for not doing the border paperwork. (unless you mean faking the declared value like China does which you will rarely find from any US-based retailer)

They always ship with USPS or DHL Global Mail, which Canada Post handles when it crosses the border. This means, it's the least of all evil duties/GST wise, because what you're charged is: GST/HST on the declared value + $10 Canada Post fee. There's no duties on electronics/keyboard poo poo (unlike clothing), so nothing extra other the fees previously mentioned. If you've ever had anything shipped by UPS Ground, FedEx and some DHL options, you'll see insane brokerage fees instead of the $10 that Canada Post charges.

When AliExpress, KBDFans, Chinese e-tailers do it, they declare your keyboard as being under $20, so you don't end up paying anything at all. But you know, it's actually false declaration and shady, but whatever. Sometimes if they ship via FedEx, you'll get a $10 processing fee in an envelope in the mail weeks after.

Basically, just buy from Massdrop if there's something on there that you want and not available from China for cheaper.

Of course we got NAFTA 2.0 now which was supposed to make this better for Canadians by upping the $20 limit to $150 before you get charged GST/HST, but there's some bullshit about it being only applicable for "express shipments", which might mean you'd get hosed by UPS, FedEx, DHL brokerage fees regardless.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Constellation I posted:

Also not sure what it means for not doing the border paperwork.

Like ebay's global shipping program where you pay taxes/duties up front so you aren't paying ransom when the item shows up

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
ALRIGHT, SCREW IT.

Looks like im already getting back into the swing of things ordering a real goons keyboard. What are good options for MX Clears, with switches that aren't "nested" in the keyboard that allow for easy cleaning? Bonus points if its on Amazon. Don't care about backlighting. Would like keycaps that don't show dirt easily. Quietness is key. I'll consider 80%, but no smaller because I need number and function keys as separate keys.

e: crap the 96 key keyboards look amazing. I basically want a keyboard with minimal frame. a lot of these keyboards im finding look nice, but have huge bezels/frames. how does this rabbit hole key going lower

buglord fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 13, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

buglord posted:

ALRIGHT, SCREW IT.

Looks like im already getting back into the swing of things ordering a real goons keyboard. What are good options for MX Clears, with switches that aren't "nested" in the keyboard that allow for easy cleaning? Bonus points if its on Amazon. Don't care about backlighting. Would like keycaps that don't show dirt easily. Quietness is key. I'll consider 80%, but no smaller because I need number and function keys as separate keys.

e: crap the 96 key keyboards look amazing. I basically want a keyboard with minimal frame. a lot of these keyboards im finding look nice, but have huge bezels/frames. how does this rabbit hole key going lower

Pre-built MX clear boards are relatively rare. Since you don't care about backlighting, everyone seems to love their CODE keyboards with mx clears. For minimal bezel and floating caps I'd recommend the GMMK fullsize and populate it with clears yourself - it's got obnoxious RGB that you could just turn off.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars

buglord posted:

ALRIGHT, SCREW IT.

The Vortex Race 3 is pretty well liked by people who have it, comes with clears, has a separate function row and no bezels.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a little keyswitch tester coming in the mail today, so I'll get to try out the clears and others. Are there other switches similar to mx clears, but less rare? Or non-cherry?

mewse
May 2, 2006

buglord posted:

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have a little keyswitch tester coming in the mail today, so I'll get to try out the clears and others. Are there other switches similar to mx clears, but less rare? Or non-cherry?

People love clears because of the large tactile bump, it's kinda become the holy grail of the mech kb community. There are mods like "ergo clears" where they swap the springs for lighter ones and lube the sliders. Zealios might be the best tactile switches but they're stupid expensive and Gateron isn't allowed to provide those sliders to anyone else.

The most recent attempts at holy grail tactiles were kailh box royals.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

The saber 68 is a smaller keyboard that uses MOD switches and the MOD-H are comparable to mx clear. It's a good re-programmable board, but it has the skirt instead of floating keys. I couldn't give up navigation keys, but the 60% layout with an extra column doesn't sacrifice much. Programmable layout is my biggest feature ask cause I hate caps lock, and can't live without a print screen key.

I just switched from it to a floating keys ten keyless and the new floating key is as dirty after a month as the saber was after 6 months, but it's mostly pet hair that just blows out pretty easy.

https://www.originativeco.com/products/saber-68

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

buglord posted:

ALRIGHT, SCREW IT.

These have "sunken" switches as you describe them, but I love my WASD V2 with clears.
Lmfao this is so dumb. Like rather than just looking at the notifications directly in front of me on my screen – which provide actual information about the notification – I'm going to look down to see if one of the keys on my keyboard is lit up which I'll have to figure out what that corresponds to, because...reasons?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

buglord posted:

ALRIGHT, SCREW IT.

I have this, it has minimal backlighting but I love it:

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3510