Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Radar isn't used as much as it was. I think part of it was that radar guns were found to increase cancer risk or something. Some states forbid police from using the radar so the radar detector went away.

Lotta weird info here.

Radar is the number one way speeders are picked up, and it's one of the the more difficult to assail in court. I don't think any states forbid police, in total, from using radar guns, but a number of them only permit state police to do so.
LIDAR has the advantage of being more targeted, but this is also a disadvantage for the cops, because they can't just leave the thing turned on and pointed at the highway waiting for it to alert on a speeder like with a radar gun. Radar systems can even be used while the cop is driving. Going after speeders with LIDAR is basically a two-man job, with one cop outside his car getting readings from specific cars, and then a second cop further down the road in his car waiting to pull over the speeders flagged by the first cop. LIDAR detectors do work, because no laser beam is perfectly collimated; they still diverge according to the inverse square law past a given distance. If a cop is using LIDAR, when the beam is on there will frequently be enough beam spread and reflection for a detector downrange to pick up on it. But here again, the fact that the LIDAR beam isn't constantly on and is just being triggered by the cop intermittently means that your detector might not alert on it even if it sees it.

Radar is non-ionizing radiation, it does not cause cancer. Radio frequencies can just flat-out burn you, so spending your time standing in front of radar antennas, but a radar gun is emitting milliwatts at most and isn't giving anyone cancer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is more of an 80s question: I understand that love is like a bomb and you've gotta come and get it on, but what does it mean if you are living like a lover with a radar phone?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Wheat Loaf posted:

This is more of an 80s question: I understand that love is like a bomb and you've gotta come and get it on, but what does it mean if you are living like a lover with a radar phone?

Would you like me to pour some sugar on you?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
It means you’re either lookin like a tramp or a video vamp

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's weird to think that there was ever a time when Def Leppard was the biggest band in the world.

Like, their follow-up to Hysteria (which took them five years, which is fairly typical nowadays but must have seemed like a crazy big gap in the late 80s / early 90s) and by the time it came out I feel like Nevermind must have already dropped, but it was still a number one album. Check out this terrifying CGI video they did for it.

Edit: Man, watching that video, Joe Elliott wanted to be Freddie Mercury so badly, didn't he? :v:

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Dec 10, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's weird to think that there was ever a time when Def Leppard was the biggest band in the world.

Like, their follow-up to Hysteria (which took them five years, which is fairly typical nowadays but must have seemed like a crazy big gap in the late 80s / early 90s) and by the time it came out I feel like Nevermind must have already dropped, but it was still a number one album. Check out this terrifying CGI video they did for it.

Edit: Man, watching that video, Joe Elliott wanted to be Freddie Mercury so badly, didn't he? :v:

Def Leppard was cool and good

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I used to be really into Def Leppard when I was in school and into university. I remember my brother and I went to see them when they were headlining a triple-bill show with Thin Lizzy and Alice Cooper. Thin Lizzy were the loudest thing I've ever heard. Like being punched in the face by a flying cement wall. Not that that's a bad thing, of course.

Alice Cooper was really entertaining, but it was sort of weird that I don't think he spoke to the audience once in the whole performance. Def Leppard were very together but there was one disappointing bit where Phil Collen and Vivian Campbell did this guitar solo trade-off in the middle of a song and Collen just did tremolo picking on the same note while Campbell, I don't remember exactly what the gently caress he was doing but it sure as hell wasn't "Rainbow In the Dark". I mentioned Campbell up thread a wile ago. I don't know if he can't play like he did in Dio any more or if he just chooses not to.

Back when I tried to learn the guitar, I always wanted to be able to play "Photograph". Unfortunately, I never got past the main riff. I just didn't have the ability.

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 00:45 on Dec 11, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

I used to be really into Def Leppard when I was in school and into university. I remember my brother and I went to see them when they were headlining a triple-bill show with Thin Lizzy and Alice Cooper. Thin Lizzy were the loudest thing I've ever heard. Like being punched in the face by a flying cement wall. Not that that's a bad thing, of course.

Alice Cooper was really entertaining, but it was sort of weird that I don't think he spoke to the audience once in the whole performance. Def Leppard were very together but there was one disappointing bit where Phil Collen and Vivian Campbell did this guitar solo trade-off in the middle of a song and Collen just did tremolo picking on the same note while Campbell, I don't remember exactly what the gently caress he was doing but it sure as hell wasn't "Rainbow In the Dark". I mentioned Campbell up thread a wile ago. I don't know if he can't play like he did in Dio any more or if he just chooses not to.

Back when I tried to learn the guitar, I always wanted to be able to play "Photograph". Unfortunately, I never got past the main riff. I just didn't have the ability.

You know what was a really talented band let down by their singer/songwriter? Mr. Big. Like, everybody in the play who played instruments loving owned. Bassist was Billy Sheehan, come the gently caress on.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't tend to like very much shred playing. It's too technical and too precise for me. I can appreciate good lead playing but when it's devoid of taste and tension I don't see the appeal. In any case, Eric Martin had a good voice but he's one of those guys who absolutely wrecked his vocal cords with cocaine when they were living it up at the height of their fame and that, combined with him just getting older, has really done a number on it.

If you want to know a band that was really let down by its singer, look at Ratt. That band had a rhythm section that could actually groove (a rarity in 80s pop-metal bands) and a lead guitarist in Warren DeMartini who could play like Van Halen but knew how to hold himself back and play really tastefully for the songs and it was all wasted because their lead singer must have had a vocal range of less than an octave, which meant all their songs were basically the same.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Shredding is fine but a real issue in a lot of 80's and 90's music was shredding for its own sake. Way too much of it was just LOOK AT ME LOOK AT HOW FAST I CAN PLAY I'M SUCH A GOOD GUITARIST LOL I'M SOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!! I think that's part of why it kind of died off. That and I imagine people got kind of bored with increasingly long, elaborate, and ultimately pointless guitar solos.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love 80s/early 90s pointless guitar solos. :colbert:

fight me irl

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

I love 80s/early 90s pointless guitar solos. :colbert:

fight me irl

I got your back on this one fam

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

I got your back on this one fam

:buddy:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Shredding is fine but a real issue in a lot of 80's and 90's music was shredding for its own sake. Way too much of it was just LOOK AT ME LOOK AT HOW FAST I CAN PLAY I'M SUCH A GOOD GUITARIST LOL I'M SOOOOO GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!

Indeed. You get people who know all these notes and think it means they need to play all of them. They just aren't playing tastefully. I could try to explain why I've never really been into any of the Dream Theater-style prog rock bands, but instead I will concede that it's admittedly much worse when someone takes an extended solo spot and they don't really have the chops to merit it.

There's that live album / video that Poison did in 1991 or so where C.C. DeVille does something like a 10 minute guitar solo and it's not good. It's directionless, structureless, tasteless noodling and he can't pull it off because he was never that great of a player; he was never a Randy Rhoads or a Jake E. Lee. And while I remember, if you listen to the version of "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" on that live album, I'm pretty sure he completely fucks up the big power chord when he joins in on the big chorus.

quote:

I think that's part of why it kind of died off. That and I imagine people got kind of bored with increasingly long, elaborate, and ultimately pointless guitar solos.

Guitar solos were de rigeur in mainstream rock in the 80s and it got to the point where lots of pop songs had some sort of guitar solo in them as well so I can imagine people would get bored of it, but I'm surprised they never came back again and never have. Who's the last "guitar hero" in rock music who broke through? I feel like you probably have to go back to Slash.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Slash owns

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Wheat Loaf posted:

There's that live album / video that Poison did in 1991 or so where C.C. DeVille does something like a 10 minute guitar solo and it's not good. It's directionless, structureless, tasteless noodling and he can't pull it off because he was never that great of a player; he was never a Randy Rhoads or a Jake E. Lee.

A few years back some website/magazine did a poll where that was voted the worst guitar solo in rock history, describing as trying to watch a guy who swears he can totally do Eruption and loving can’t get it right for like ten minutes. It’s loving terrible/hilarious.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Wheat Loaf posted:

Indeed. You get people who know all these notes and think it means they need to play all of them. They just aren't playing tastefully. I could try to explain why I've never really been into any of the Dream Theater-style prog rock bands, but instead I will concede that it's admittedly much worse when someone takes an extended solo spot and they don't really have the chops to merit it.

There's that live album / video that Poison did in 1991 or so where C.C. DeVille does something like a 10 minute guitar solo and it's not good. It's directionless, structureless, tasteless noodling and he can't pull it off because he was never that great of a player; he was never a Randy Rhoads or a Jake E. Lee. And while I remember, if you listen to the version of "Every Rose Has Its Thorn" on that live album, I'm pretty sure he completely fucks up the big power chord when he joins in on the big chorus.

Guitar solos were de rigeur in mainstream rock in the 80s and it got to the point where lots of pop songs had some sort of guitar solo in them as well so I can imagine people would get bored of it, but I'm surprised they never came back again and never have. Who's the last "guitar hero" in rock music who broke through? I feel like you probably have to go back to Slash.

Popular music has mostly gone to easily produced schlock without much technical skill. It's all about selling a particular image rather than any real skill. There are still rock gods who can wield an axe with grace and majesty but they're mostly not in the A-list anymore. Buckethead still exists and is still, you know, Buckethead. But really dudes like him and Hendrix are some of the best guitar players ever for a reason. Hendrix is probably the best ever. Dude knew when to shred and when to not.

One of the things that changed is that the most popular musicians rarely even write their own music anymore let alone actually play instruments. The traditional rock bands just don't seem to be as much of a thing. They still exist but the music industry is focusing more on simpler and louder. Granted that's another thing that's changed; things are so compressed and heavily processed that the nuance you got from traditional axe wielding is just kind of lost.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Randaconda posted:

Slash owns

Hell yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHyl04-ytH8

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Popular music has mostly gone to easily produced schlock without much technical skill. It's all about selling a particular image rather than any real skill. There are still rock gods who can wield an axe with grace and majesty but they're mostly not in the A-list anymore. Buckethead still exists and is still, you know, Buckethead. But really dudes like him and Hendrix are some of the best guitar players ever for a reason. Hendrix is probably the best ever. Dude knew when to shred and when to not.

One of the things that changed is that the most popular musicians rarely even write their own music anymore let alone actually play instruments. The traditional rock bands just don't seem to be as much of a thing. They still exist but the music industry is focusing more on simpler and louder. Granted that's another thing that's changed; things are so compressed and heavily processed that the nuance you got from traditional axe wielding is just kind of lost.

Every geezer ever thinks their music was the greatest and today's music is irredeemable garbage. They're always wrong. HTH.

Also I'd rather listen to every k-pop and Disney Radio song ever before I listened to Buckethead. All the technical skills in the world mean jack poo poo if you can't write a song.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Imagined posted:

Every geezer ever thinks their music was the greatest and today's music is irredeemable garbage. They're always wrong. HTH.

Also I'd rather listen to every k-pop and Disney Radio song ever before I listened to Buckethead. All the technical skills in the world mean jack poo poo if you can't write a song.

...I like Buckethead :(

I knew somebody was going to make that argument but really, science backs me on this one; music has gotten simpler and louder continually for decades. Popular music as a whole has also gotten continually more about the image than the music. Really, I enjoy a pretty wide variety of music from a variety of eras but look at popular music of the day. Contemporary country music is all about being the twangiest person ever while singing about how much you love giant trucks and farms. Pop music has always been manufactured crap meant to appeal to as many people as possible but the formula has been continually refined until we got to what we have now. Granted I've always despised most pop music so my opinion on that one is probably not to be trusted.

Bands coming out now aren't ALL bad. Little Big is pretty great. I've been enjoying Hyper Crush.

Think I'll do some looking now, actually...I'll admit that I've been mostly ignoring new music coming out. I'm listening to Vein right now and I'm enjoying it so far. My favorite stuff has always been heavier, noisier, more abrasive stuff and it seems like there was a lull in that for a while.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
When I try to find new music, I either run into things that are different enough from what I grew up on that they're alienating to me, at least at first. I don't understand the context or the references or even how to evaluate it. Or it's things that sound like things I already like, but I'm old enough to remember the original version of what this band is doing a copy of a copy of a copy of, like Courtney Barnett is good but makes me want to just pull out 'Exile in Guyville'. Parquet Courts are good but I remember Modern Lovers and the Feelies.

In my old age I've also run into this weird thing where even if I really, really, really loving love something new, it doesn't sink in like music used to do when I was 15-25. I don't remember the lyrics or even the names of the songs of anything past about 2004, even though I've really loved a lot of music that's come out since then.

Edit: nothing good could come of listing specific references in that first sentence.

Edit edit: gently caress

Imagined has a new favorite as of 04:29 on Dec 11, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Imagined posted:

When I try to find new music, I either run into things that are different enough from what I grew up on that they're alienating to me, at least at first, Janelle Monae or Grimes, for example. I don't understand the context or the references or even how to evaluate it. Or it's things that sound like things I already like, but I'm old enough to remember the original version of what this band is doing a copy of a copy of a copy of, like Courtney Barnett is good but makes me want to just pull out 'Exile in Guyville'. Parquet Courts are good but I remember Modern Lovers and the Feelies.

In my old age I've also run into this weird thing where even if I really, really, really loving love something new, it doesn't sink in like music used to do when I was 15-25. I don't remember the lyrics or even the names of the songs of anything past about 2004, even though I've really loved a lot of music that's come out since then.

The only name on that list I actually recognized was Grimes. Mostly that seems to be people in genres I've never had much interest in though looking at the list of people Grimes lists as an influence I'm going to have to give her a spin. I saw a lot of bands I like in there. If she's continuing those sounds then sounds like she's somebody I'll like.

And now I'm listening to Harm's Way. Apparently metal has been seeing a bit of a revival lately? Or I've just been too out of the loop and hadn't heard of new stuff coming out. I feel like that when nu metal lost its mainstream popularity metal just kind of crapped out. Great that it's coming back.

edit: Two tracks in and I like Grimes already. Reminds me of Bjork and Bjork is good.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 04:37 on Dec 11, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Imagined posted:

Buckethead's a pretty loving great songwriter. This is what he made as a memorial to his aunt dying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ3_-SbtOL0

He just writes his songs exclusively for guitar, so he expresses himself through guitar instead of singing. I like him because he goes a lot farther than just shredding. He's incredibly fast, but only when he wants to be.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I can't listen to Grimes anymore because she played Elon Musk's skin flute

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The only name on that list I actually recognized was Grimes.

Janelle Monae got some attention for looking really good in a tuxedo. She also incorporated a lot of sci-fi into her older albums, like Metropolis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqmORiHNtN4

Her look in "Tightrope" is more famous, but I think this is a better song.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't listen to Grimes anymore because she played Elon Musk's skin flute

Personally I file that right under "none of my drat business."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was about to say "Well this new band..." then I realized they're all indie bands from the 2000s and that was at least 10 years ago.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fartknocker posted:

A few years back some website/magazine did a poll where that was voted the worst guitar solo in rock history, describing as trying to watch a guy who swears he can totally do Eruption and loving can’t get it right for like ten minutes. It’s loving terrible/hilarious.

Really bad stuff. I know there's people who rate C.C. DeVille as one of the best rock guitarists of the 80s and I have no idea what they're hearing.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Popular music has mostly gone to easily produced schlock without much technical skill. It's all about selling a particular image rather than any real skill.

Jazz musicians said that about rock and roll in the 1950s, and honestly, they were right. Rock music was primitive, ugly and stupid compared with lushly-produced Tin Pan Alley pop songs played by professional musicians. That's why people liked it.

I have no idea if that "PYF 2000s thread" equivalent to this one is still going but there's a very late 2000s thing I have no idea if it still happens: people on YouTube going on some pop star's music video and going "I'M ONLY 13 AND BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH REAL ROCK STARS LIKE FRED DURST".

Wheat Loaf has a new favorite as of 09:26 on Dec 11, 2018

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

When I try to find new music, I either run into things that are different enough from what I grew up on that they're alienating to me, at least at first. I don't understand the context or the references or even how to evaluate it. Or it's things that sound like things I already like, but I'm old enough to remember the original version of what this band is doing a copy of a copy of a copy of, like Courtney Barnett is good but makes me want to just pull out 'Exile in Guyville'. Parquet Courts are good but I remember Modern Lovers and the Feelies.

Edit: nothing good could come of listing specific references in that first sentence.

Edit edit: gently caress

Janelle Monae is indeed a treasure and one of the few modern artists that I actually bother to keep up on. St Vincent is another. They are doing something quite special.

Totally know what you mean about "sinking in"; there's a lot of great music being made out there that I've listened to but it doesn't consume my life like it used to. I'll listen to something, say "cool", and move on.

I think also like you said, once you start hearing bands that were influenced by other bands that were themselves influenced by something else, you might as well go back to those originals. Take someone like Bruno Mars; dude is mega talented, and a genuine star, but he's also essentially just channeling Michael Jackson, Prince, and James Brown. So given the choice, I'll just go listen to The Payback or 1999.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A paragraph that has been written in every decade since the sixties.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

EvilGenius posted:

A paragraph that has been written in every decade since the sixties.

Probably earlier. I have little doubt that when the first jazz records were made in the late 1910s, people said they were all showmanship and lacked the technical accomplishment of John Philip Sousa marches. :v:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBmkCoiHC2c

I like the song, but the video is 90s as hell

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

80s/90s guitar solos eventually evolved into poo poo like Dragonforce, which is provably the dorkiest music ever created.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Slash is going back 30 years though and its super hard to nail down "mainstream" anyway as rock has almost always been 2nd to easy listening garbage/RnB/whatever you classify modern stuff as since forever.

I still believe Jerry Cantrell is waaay up there in the best solo guitar players in the last few decades. The man absolutely knows how to make a guitar sound amazing.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably earlier. I have little doubt that when the first jazz records were made in the late 1910s, people said they were all showmanship and lacked the technical accomplishment of John Philip Sousa marches. :v:

Yes, except with a lot more racism.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nutsngum posted:

Slash is going back 30 years though and its super hard to nail down "mainstream" anyway as rock has almost always been 2nd to easy listening garbage/RnB/whatever you classify modern stuff as since forever.

I still believe Jerry Cantrell is waaay up there in the best solo guitar players in the last few decades. The man absolutely knows how to make a guitar sound amazing.

Alice in Chains was one of my favorite bands ever. :smithcloud:

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He gets so much out of super simple riffs

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Groke posted:

Yes, except with a lot more racism.

Not immediately, because the first jazz records were recorded by a white trumpet player called Nick LaRocca who insisted that he had invented it and later wrote an autobiography which if you had no other sources to go on would lead you to believe there were no black people in New Orleans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Laterite posted:

Janelle Monae is indeed a treasure and one of the few modern artists that I actually bother to keep up on. St Vincent is another. They are doing something quite special.

Totally know what you mean about "sinking in"; there's a lot of great music being made out there that I've listened to but it doesn't consume my life like it used to. I'll listen to something, say "cool", and move on.

I think also like you said, once you start hearing bands that were influenced by other bands that were themselves influenced by something else, you might as well go back to those originals. Take someone like Bruno Mars; dude is mega talented, and a genuine star, but he's also essentially just channeling Michael Jackson, Prince, and James Brown. So given the choice, I'll just go listen to The Payback or 1999.

Bruno Mars I think goes beyond "influenced by" and straight into "copying". "Locked Out of Heaven" sounds so close to a Police song that you could be forgiven for mistaking it for a cover of one you hadn't heard before.