Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

we've been in the gently caress stage for like a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Yeah, the most accurate climate change image is ThisIsFine.jpg

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
gently caress should be the red, and yellow should just be silence.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZYNADOHhVY
A parable for our time.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Strap yo'selves in for a gooder, friendos.

Pliocene and Eocene provide best analogs for near-future climates

quote:

The expected departure of future climates from those experienced in human history challenges efforts to adapt. Possible analogs to climates from deep in Earth’s geological past have been suggested but not formally assessed. We compare climates of the coming decades with climates drawn from six geological and historical periods spanning the past 50 My. Our study suggests that climates like those of the Pliocene will prevail as soon as 2030 CE and persist under climate stabilization scenarios. Unmitigated scenarios of greenhouse gas emissions produce climates like those of the Eocene, which suggests that we are effectively rewinding the climate clock by approximately 50 My, reversing a multimillion year cooling trend in less than two centuries.

quote:

Our study suggests that climates like those of the Pliocene will prevail as soon as 2030 CE and persist under climate stabilization scenarios.

quote:

will prevail as soon as 2030 CE and persist under climate stabilization scenarios.

quote:

persist under climate stabilization scenarios.
:eyepop:

quote:

Hence, RCP4.5 is roughly equivalent to stabilizing at Pliocene-like climates, while unmitigated emission trajectories, such as RCP8.5, are similar to reversing millions of years of long-term cooling on the scale of a few human generations. Both the emergence of geologically novel climates and the rapid reversion to Eocene-like climates may be outside the range of evolutionary adaptive capacity.

We hosed, my dear sweet goons.

Rime fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 11, 2018

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

I remember this video.

The dragon is suppose to represent death and we need to "cure" that so no one ever dies.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

OhFunny posted:

I remember this video.

The dragon is suppose to represent death and we need to "cure" that so no one ever dies.

Oh, the lesswrong.com crew. Death is avoidable and thinking otherwise makes you "deathist." They think AI is the biggest existential threat to humanity. Haha, suckers. Our clathrate gun will crush your puny Paperclip Maximizer.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Rime posted:

Pliocene to eocene in one generation is just astonishing lmao.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've been thinking about this

you figure the rainforests in the yukon/sibera lattitudes were only able to get there because they had a few thousand years to move over hundreds of generations (tree generations)

they're just not going to be able to move anywhere near quick enough this time

part of an attempt to save as much biodiversity as possible will need to be creating some kind of corridor or just out and out re-planting/transplanting every type of plant and animal life we can as far north as possible as quickly as possible

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

StabbinHobo posted:

you figure the rainforests in the yukon/sibera lattitudes were only able to get there because they had a few thousand years to move over hundreds of generations (tree generations)

part of an attempt to save as much biodiversity as possible will need to be creating some kind of corridor or just out and out re-planting/transplanting every type of plant and animal life we can as far north as possible as quickly as possible

I was thinking about this the other day except animal tissue cultures, eggs, and sperm. If we can't save some biodiversity we might be able to resurrect them.

I know the science isnt quite there yet...but I feel we might be able atone for our sins. It is a silly notion, but what weighs most heavy on my heart is all the life that will be snuffed out because of our hubris. We made our beds, the animals and plants did not ask for this...

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

Pliocene to eocene in one generation is just astonishing lmao.

:lol: gently caress trying to pay off my student loans what's the point :kingsley:

Morbus
May 18, 2004

lmao "geologically novel climates". It is astounding how big of a fuckup can be encapsulated in just three words

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

friendbot2000 posted:

I was thinking about this the other day except animal tissue cultures, eggs, and sperm. If we can't save some biodiversity we might be able to resurrect them.

I know the science isnt quite there yet...but I feel we might be able atone for our sins. It is a silly notion, but what weighs most heavy on my heart is all the life that will be snuffed out because of our hubris. We made our beds, the animals and plants did not ask for this...

They had their chance to strangle us in the crib but they chose to spend their evolutionary time evolving claws and spiked torpedo dicks and long floppy noses. I will not weep for creatures that had millions of years to surpass us and instead squandered it! Means tested survival of the fittest!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

StabbinHobo posted:

cut up 1sqmi blocks of land and transport them north 2 degrees every ten years obviously.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

That's huh... I don't know what you were going for posting this.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

That's huh... I don't know what you were going for posting this.

Well, the ending isn't quite applicable, but the parallels between the dragon being the oil/gas/greenhouse gasses/climate change and then the king's advisors saying "this is how it always has been" or "this is fine" was pretty apt. The child speaking up in favor of killing the dragon when no one else would, sparking a torrent of support. Then you have the parallel of the sheer amount of joint work that the entire kingdom had to go through to defeat the dragon, though, in the end, so many had died in the dragons gluttony. It almost perfectly describes what we are facing today. Almost.

I think art is honestly going to help climate change conversion a lot. We have already won those who will listen to reason and science, the only way for everyone else is through different mediums like art, music, and storytelling. Propaganda can be a force for good and I think it is time we start weaponizing it to try to convert as many as we can to the reality of the work that needs to be done. We need to start forming groups, where people can talk about this stuff too. Once it dawns on you how bad things are...the natural reaction is to just shut down because it feels too big and is just...soul-crushing. That is one of the reasons I wanted this thread to have a lighter tone of hope and action because we can't let despair take us. Fear and despair is a paralytic, we need courage more than anything in the next ten years. In light of this, I am adding a section in the OP for any good, provocative art that you come across that can be used to win people to the cause.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 11, 2018

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I'm fairly sure I've reached that threshold where all one does is read as much about how humans are trying to mitigate climate change on this thread, the cspam one, twitter, reddit, youtube, some science dissemination portals and fora then feel really lovely and dark. I'm fairly sure I'm now just like many others in this and previous iteration of this thread so gonna take a bit of a break from all this. heck, its 1:30am and i have work tomorrow and here i am reading about extinction rebellion on the guardian.co.uk again. every time i chance across that infograph chart of how quickly we need to drop emissions NOW i stare at it feeling super "ah well" about all this.

friendbot2000 posted:

I am adding a section in the OP for any good, provocative art that you come across that can be used to win people to the cause.
even just the last panel would be rad. some may recall, this was popular on the net like ten years ago so goons will get a lil nostalgia kick.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Dec 11, 2018

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

I'm fairly sure I've reached that threshold where all one does is read as much about how humans are trying to mitigate climate change on this thread, the cspam one, twitter, reddit, youtube, some science dissemination portals and fora then feel really lovely and dark. I'm fairly sure I'm now just like many others in this and previous iteration of this thread so gonna take a bit of a break from all this. heck, its 1:30am and i have work tomorrow and here i am reading about extinction rebellion on the guardian.co.uk again. every time i chance across that infograph chart of how quickly we need to drop emissions NOW i stare at it feeling super "ah well" about all this.

even just the last panel would be rad. some may recall, this was popular on the net like ten years ago so goons will get a lil nostalgia kick.

Perfectly normal reaction my dude. It helps to talk about it with people because keeping that heavy poo poo inside is a paralytic. Talking about these feelings helps move you through the stages of grief, because...let's be real, you go through a grief process with climate change. Also, thank you for that comic! That last panel is quite powerful!

I was wondering something today. 2 Day Shipping/next day often involves companies to ship via air travel yeah? Is Ground shipping more or less of a carbon cost in comparison to short-haul shipping? Now before ya'll start yelling that one individual not ordering packages long distance accomplishes nothing, I was thinking about getting the Climate Group I am starting in the DC Area to work on small achievable lifestyle changes and messaging initiatives. So I am just spitballing here and seeing what sticks.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

friendbot2000 posted:

Well, the ending isn't quite applicable, but the parallels between the dragon being the oil/gas/greenhouse gasses/climate change and then the king's advisors saying "this is how it always has been" or "this is fine" was pretty apt. The child speaking up in favor of killing the dragon when no one else would, sparking a torrent of support. Then you have the parallel of the sheer amount of joint work that the entire kingdom had to go through to defeat the dragon, though, in the end, so many had died in the dragons gluttony. It almost perfectly describes what we are facing today. Almost.

The reason it doesn't work is because the whole thing is based off an article written by a crazy endless growth cornucopian, hence the solution to the problem being SCIENCE, the error of the people was not SCIENCE-ing harder and earlier, and the moral at the end is that all future problems will likewise be solved through SCIENCE. Also the problem is so simple a child can understand it, and it all comes down to how it makes us feel bad, therefore we needn't even worry about what comes after, just go for it using SCIENCE, and the correct way to use SCIENCE is to continue living just the way we do but giving scientists more money.

What this poo poo actually encapsulates really well is the hopeful 90s outlook that all human problems are solvable through continued growth and technological progress, and all we need is to apply ourselves a little. It's certainly a well done animation, but just dropping this here without further context is akin to going into a historical films thread and cluelessly promoting Birth of a Nation as a cool and good Civil War piece.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Conspiratiorist posted:

The reason it doesn't work is because the whole thing is based off an article written by a crazy endless growth cornucopian, hence the solution to the problem being SCIENCE, the error of the people was not SCIENCE-ing harder and earlier, and the moral at the end is that all future problems will likewise be solved through SCIENCE. Also the problem is so simple a child can understand it, and it all comes down to how it makes us feel bad, therefore we needn't even worry about what comes after, just go for it using SCIENCE, and the correct way to use SCIENCE is to continue living just the way we do but giving scientists more money.

What this poo poo actually encapsulates really well is the hopeful 90s outlook that all human problems are solvable through continued growth and technological progress, and all we need is to apply ourselves a little. It's certainly a well done animation, but just dropping this here without further context is akin to going into a historical films thread and cluelessly promoting Birth of a Nation as a cool and good Civil War piece.

Good point. I could have added a bit more instead of dropping it in the thread, but I was lazy.

friendbot2000 fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 11, 2018

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
God, I wish climate change was as huge, terrifying, and imposing to the naked eye as an all-consuming dragon. Enough people would actually feel a sense of urgency then.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

Kunabomber posted:

God, I wish climate change was as huge, terrifying, and imposing to the naked eye as an all-consuming dragon. Enough people would actually feel a sense of urgency then.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
yeah but it's not happening in my country/state/county/city/neighborhood/block

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
At least that McDonalds survived.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Pretty sure that smoldering wreckage is the mcdonalds based on the road layout.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Like off-hand comments like "I noticed there's no fireflies around our neighborhood anymore." freak me the gently caress out, and last time I drove down Florida I didn't need to scrape off a sheet of bug guts off my windshield. If I start making hay about that kind of stuff I'll probably be considered to be going crazy over nothing.

I have noticed that conservatives here in Texas are not trying to shout down GHG and global warming talk so there's some positive direction, which gives me a bit of hope. The recent hot as hell summers probably contributed to that, and a lot of people here still have their roots in farming so they are acutely aware of the climate and weather.

I feel that as a society humanity can turn on a dime to face this threat but it remains to be seen if it will be in time to mitigate the most horrible effects because goddamn we love procrastinating.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Rime posted:

I have nothing to add in regards to this report, besides the following:

Dylan Thomas posted:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

EDIT: And that corny speech from Independence Day

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 11, 2018

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Kunabomber posted:

Like off-hand comments like "I noticed there's no fireflies around our neighborhood anymore." freak me the gently caress out, and last time I drove down Florida I didn't need to scrape off a sheet of bug guts off my windshield. If I start making hay about that kind of stuff I'll probably be considered to be going crazy over nothing.

I have noticed that conservatives here in Texas are not trying to shout down GHG and global warming talk so there's some positive direction, which gives me a bit of hope. The recent hot as hell summers probably contributed to that, and a lot of people here still have their roots in farming so they are acutely aware of the climate and weather.

I feel that as a society humanity can turn on a dime to face this threat but it remains to be seen if it will be in time to mitigate the most horrible effects because goddamn we love procrastinating.

Pointing out the lack of bugs is actually surprisingly effective on older folks that distinctly remember and hated all those loving bugs. It freaks them out really bad because it's a clear and tangible result that cannot be denied. The issue with the deniers in the US isn't that they don't see the changes, they do since they have sensation (probably), but that they've been trained/are predisposed to discount the notion that humans can have such a grand impact on the planet. In my experience, the emotional anchor comes from the idea that only God can end/significantly alter the planet as a whole and its arrogant to state that humans can alter creation to that degree. They'll have lots of obfuscating arguments that don't explicitly say that, but that's what it comes down to. Pointing out the story of the Tower of Babel has worked on the more literal Christians I've convinced, though.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Admiral Ray posted:

Pointing out the lack of bugs is actually surprisingly effective on older folks that distinctly remember and hated all those loving bugs. It freaks them out really bad because it's a clear and tangible result that cannot be denied. The issue with the deniers in the US isn't that they don't see the changes, they do since they have sensation (probably), but that they've been trained/are predisposed to discount the notion that humans can have such a grand impact on the planet. In my experience, the emotional anchor comes from the idea that only God can end/significantly alter the planet as a whole and its arrogant to state that humans can alter creation to that degree. They'll have lots of obfuscating arguments that don't explicitly say that, but that's what it comes down to. Pointing out the story of the Tower of Babel has worked on the more literal Christians I've convinced, though.

How do you use the Tower of Babel? I am aware of the generalities of the story, but I am curious as to how you use that to change minds?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
If I'm remembering right, mankind was getting close to making themselves equals to God. So God struck them down and made them speak different languages so they couldn't collaborate anymore.

Well now we are collaborating again, all 7 billion of us.

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 11, 2018

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

friendbot2000 posted:

How do you use the Tower of Babel? I am aware of the generalities of the story, but I am curious as to how you use that to change minds?

For those who don't know the story:

quote:

Genesis 11:1-9 New International Version (NIV)
The Tower of Babel
11 Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. 2 As people moved eastward,[a] they found a plain in Shinar[b] and settled there.

3 They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. 4 Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.”

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

8 So the Lord scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. 9 That is why it was called Babel[c]—because there the Lord confused the language of the whole world. From there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

The passage I use is:

quote:

5 But the Lord came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. 6 The Lord said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. 7 Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.”

Why would God scatter us if we are incapable of great things? Denying our capability to alter the planet seems to deny God's judgement that we were too dangerous to let be if we were united. God scattered us and confused us, but we now have overcome that confusion and work with unified purpose, and in doing so will accomplish great and terrible things.

A passage that can be used to drive this home is:

quote:

Genesis 1:26-30 New International Version (NIV)
26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

28 God blessed them and said to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky and over every living creature that moves on the ground.”

29 Then God said, “I give you every seed-bearing plant on the face of the whole earth and every tree that has fruit with seed in it. They will be yours for food.

30 And to all the beasts of the earth and all the birds in the sky and all the creatures that move along the ground—everything that has the breath of life in it—I give every green plant for food.” And it was so.

God explicitly gave us dominion over the Earth, to rule it and care for it and subdue it. Denying our responsibility here is denying our charge of stewardship of the planet and explicit denial of God. It also contains a
command for vegetarianism in it.

I'm an atheist, but I was raised as a weird mix between Evangelical, Baptist, and Seventh Day Adventist so I have a lot of exposure to arguing about these sorts of things with American Christians. Taking the question of good environmental stewardship out of the "political" and into the realm of clear cut divine commands makes people less defensive about it in my experience.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't get the point

if you convince them that global warming is god scattering our capitalist tower... then they just think its good

fits perfectly into them country folks being ok while the city dwellers in their glass and steel towers will feel gods wrath

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

StabbinHobo posted:

i don't get the point

if you convince them that global warming is god scattering our capitalist tower... then they just think its good

fits perfectly into them country folks being ok while the city dwellers in their glass and steel towers will feel gods wrath

I'm not saying this is a cure all, but I've had success with this angle. Realistically you only really run into this issue in the US since we're the only ones in the loving world that has a national party that explicitly denies global warming.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Conspiratiorist posted:

:yeah:

It's a tangent, but for those interested there was a decent mock thread focusing on those types of A holes-
The Less Wrong Mock Thread: The Big Yudkowsky
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627012

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Epitope posted:

:yeah:

It's a tangent, but for those interested there was a decent mock thread focusing on those types of A holes-
The Less Wrong Mock Thread: The Big Yudkowsky
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627012

Ah poo poo. I didn't realize it was from those loving goobers. I tend to stay away from those parts of the internet. Well, now I feel like a dummy...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

God explicitly gave us dominion over the Earth, to rule it and care for it and subdue it. Denying our responsibility here is denying our charge of stewardship of the planet and explicit denial of God. It also contains a
command for vegetarianism in it.

I'm an atheist, but I was raised as a weird mix between Evangelical, Baptist, and Seventh Day Adventist so I have a lot of exposure to arguing about these sorts of things with American Christians. Taking the question of good environmental stewardship out of the "political" and into the realm of clear cut divine commands makes people less defensive about it in my experience.

LMAO if you thing Evangelicals actually give a poo poo what the Bible says, these are the same people that regularly quote about gays and then ignore the same passages about shellfish and mixed materials.

Quoting the Bible at these people is going to get us nowhere.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

LMAO if you thing Evangelicals actually give a poo poo what the Bible says, these are the same people that regularly quote about gays and then ignore the same passages about shellfish and mixed materials.

Quoting the Bible at these people is going to get us nowhere.

We're already heading to hell but I still think it's fun to bring more people into the death cult of climate change awareness.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

We're already heading to hell but I still think it's fun to bring more people into the death cult of climate change awareness.

"Awareness" being the key word. Evangelicals don't have that capability.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The death cult is loving business as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

"Awareness" being the key word. Evangelicals don't have that capability.

Alright if you say so.