Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Ahh yes, the character that's a walking CWC reference, yes, him.

e: I'm not sure what cutting point you're trying to prove here but yes the character based on the dude who was banned from gamestop for defacing their product over sonic's blue arms is going to have non-blue-armed sonic art.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Conspiracy theories are basically science fiction slash mythology, they do make great fantasy ideas.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I hate that the thumbnail is small enough my brain immediately went to "someone edited it to be sonic mpreg didn't they?"

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I hate that the thumbnail is small enough my brain immediately went to "someone edited it to be sonic mpreg didn't they?"

I unironically love that my brain is disconnected from the internet enough to not know what "sonic mpreg" was.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Ahh yes, the character that's a walking CWC reference, yes, him.

e: I'm not sure what cutting point you're trying to prove here but yes the character based on the dude who was banned from gamestop for defacing their product over sonic's blue arms is going to have non-blue-armed sonic art.

I am just really curious about his reaction now that the movie also made Sonic's arms blue.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Bedlamdan posted:

I am just really curious about his reaction now that the movie also made Sonic's arms blue.

"Yeah, I saw that Sonic Movie poster, and I instinctively Knew they were botching him up on that."

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 11, 2018

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

"Yeah, I saw that Sonic Movie poster, and I instinctively Knew they were botching him up on that."

Cue the Farms trying to wind him up for the next several months.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Those psychos are on the process of trying to bilk CWC from all their family's money and leave them homeless according to a friend of mine so that'd be an improvement.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Plutonis posted:

Those psychos are on the process of trying to bilk CWC from all their family's money and leave them homeless according to a friend of mine so that'd be an improvement.

Gives them something to do in between trying to dox everybody opposed to ComicsGate, I suppose.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

homullus posted:

I unironically love that my brain is disconnected from the internet enough to not know what "sonic mpreg" was.

Lucky you. I know exactly what he means, and due to the DeviantArt-thread am brokebrained enough to imagine it. Help....:eng99:

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
There has to be something really related to TG Industry to talk about....

Is it true that that Games Workshop partially righted their ship the past couple of years after kicking out the moronic CEO that said they beat Pokemon?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is it true that that Games Workshop partially righted their ship the past couple of years after kicking out the moronic CEO that said they beat Pokemon?

They stepped back from killing Fantasy entirely, and there's been a really well-liked new take on 40k, with new fluff that folks are enjoying.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

They stepped back from killing Fantasy entirely, and there's been a really well-liked new take on 40k, with new fluff that folks are enjoying.

And they seem to try and adapt to overpowered gameplay trends faster (or 'at all' in some cases). While I couldn't speak to how well they're doing it, my friends who game seem mostly pleased with the steps they take and the release of errata.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The thing I've heard is the new CEO seems to understand things like "maybe bundle deals should actually be cheaper than just buying all the pieces individually."

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I do wonder how likely they are to walk back or spin off Age of Sigmar. It seems like people have come around on some of the new factions but all the new names for things are stupid and forgettable.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do wonder how likely they are to walk back or spin off Age of Sigmar. It seems like people have come around on some of the new factions but all the new names for things are stupid and forgettable.

There is a 0% chance, it's a good game that does well in sales.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well, Chaosium is going to be publishing Pendragon and Prince Valiant now. It's not a surprise given that Greg and Stewart passed away recently, but it's nice that it happened smoothly.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I was under the impression that the 2nd edition rules closed out some of the worst nonsense?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, Age of Sigmar isn't going away at all. They've just decided to keep the Fantasy IP active for licensing.

e: and basically I'm fine with that? My main problems with Age of Sigmar revolved around their determination to poo poo on Warhammer Fantasy, which is no longer the case.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mors Rattus posted:

They also simplified the rules for 40K quite a bit, making it easier for new people to play.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

The thing I've heard is the new CEO seems to understand things like "maybe bundle deals should actually be cheaper than just buying all the pieces individually."

For example those Getting Started sets are usually a good deal at least price-wise. Especially the Age of Sigmar stuff. That stuff's so expensive it's silly to not buy them if you at all can.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Haystack posted:

Well, Chaosium is going to be publishing Pendragon and Prince Valiant now. It's not a surprise given that Greg and Stewart passed away recently, but it's nice that it happened smoothly.

Oh yea, I saw that. I wonder if they'll pick up work on Charlemagne, too?

Dawgstar posted:

For example those Getting Started sets are usually a good deal at least price-wise. Especially the Age of Sigmar stuff. That stuff's so expensive it's silly to not buy them if you at all can.

Gosh, who would've thought Magic: the Gathering mignt have gotten the "affordable entry point" thing right this whole time?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Other cool GW stuff:

- Thanks to stuff like Kill Team (a small-scale skirmish spin-off from Warhammer) and Necromunda, they've realised that there's a bunch of people who won't plough lots of money into buying a few large armies, but who could be persuaded to put down a stack on getting a bunch of small really diversified armies, so they're doing product lines like Genestealer Cults and Adeptus Mechanicus and so on which I'd thought would have been consigned to history.

- The new 40K Warhammer Quest is really cool, they've got a Man of Iron in it (rogue AI robot) and everything.

- In general they seem to have their sense of humour back - the Regimental Standard website, for instance, has steered 40K back onto a more obviously satirical tone than it's had for ages.

- Lots more women in prominent roles in the fiction, more women writing for Black Library, in general less of a boys' club.

In general I think they've righted the ship a lot since the old CEO left.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Oh yea, I saw that. I wonder if they'll pick up work on Charlemagne, too?
Paladin Kickstarter had an update today confirming that they will be picking up the Paladin line too, though Nocturnal is still nominally responsible for delivering the Kickstarter rewards. (That said, Chaosium had been giving them assistance with that side of things too.)

If Chaosium can just bring Michael Moorcock around and get the Stormbringer licence back (yeah, I know it's not popular around here but it was a pretty popular line for them) they'd have most of their greatest hits back under one roof.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I guess some actual industry news is GWs half year update. £124m sales, £41m profit. I wonder if many other ttg companies total sales manage to exceed just gw profits.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Asmodee does around $400 million a year last I saw

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

So, fun fact: this is actually untrue now! Those who have been following this have reported that there is no evidence of Disney gearing up for another fight over it at all. If nothing is passed by January, public domain begins its march again.

It is currently theorized that this is because after SOPA/PIPA, no one wants to piss off the public like that again, so Disney's decided to give up on that particular fight and focus more on creating or controlling new IPs.

Also even if Disney loses the copyright on Mickey Mouse, they’ll have the trademark as long as they keep it active, and that’s all they need to make money. After all most of their Princesses are based on characters in the public domain, but that doesn’t stop their Ariel and Belle and Snow White from selling merch. They control those precise likenesses and certain materials relating to the movies and that’s what people care about.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Random Integer posted:

I guess some actual industry news is GWs half year update. £124m sales, £41m profit. I wonder if many other ttg companies total sales manage to exceed just gw profits.

Unless Magic: the Gathering has experienced a significant downturn in recent years they should be beating GW both ways.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also even if Disney loses the copyright on Mickey Mouse, they’ll have the trademark as long as they keep it active, and that’s all they need to make money. After all most of their Princesses are based on characters in the public domain, but that doesn’t stop their Ariel and Belle and Snow White from selling merch. They control those precise likenesses and certain materials relating to the movies and that’s what people care about.

It's not even like Mickey Mouse is one of their major moneymakers anymore since they haven't done anything really notable with him in years besides the occasional half-decent cartoon short on YouTube.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's not even like Mickey Mouse is one of their major moneymakers anymore since they haven't done anything really notable with him in years besides the occasional half-decent cartoon short on YouTube.

Well I mean, that's true, but they still sell a poo poo ton of stuff with him and all the related characters. He's a mascot. So all they really need to control is the branding.

Like if Steamboat Willie went into the public domain, I would be able to write a story with Mickey Mouse in it (ONLY using material from Steamboat Willie as a basis, mind you- couldn't include anything from work that was still under copyright), but since the trademark is still Disney's, I would be very limited in how I could package or promote that story. I would have to make it very clear that this was not a Disney product, or at least do nothing to suggest that it was.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Well I mean, that's true, but they still sell a poo poo ton of stuff with him and all the related characters. He's a mascot. So all they really need to control is the branding.

Like if Steamboat Willie went into the public domain, I would be able to write a story with Mickey Mouse in it (ONLY using material from Steamboat Willie as a basis, mind you- couldn't include anything from work that was still under copyright), but since the trademark is still Disney's, I would be very limited in how I could package or promote that story. I would have to make it very clear that this was not a Disney product, or at least do nothing to suggest that it was.
I imagine Disney's concern was more with their older animated features which were still major moneymakers, and probably still are. It would be a dog's age before anything from The Little Mermaid on was public domain, but if they lose Steamboat Willy and the shorts, then a few years later they lose Snow White, Fantasia, etc.

This would be less of a hit NOW, but back then they would trot that poo poo back into theaters every few years for another rake on the children of America.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Nessus posted:

I imagine Disney's concern was more with their older animated features which were still major moneymakers, and probably still are. It would be a dog's age before anything from The Little Mermaid on was public domain, but if they lose Steamboat Willy and the shorts, then a few years later they lose Snow White, Fantasia, etc.

This would be less of a hit NOW, but back then they would trot that poo poo back into theaters every few years for another rake on the children of America.
One of the big injustices of the absurdly long copyright periods we've been subjected to is that only a very, very few works actually got any real benefit out of it. The vast majority of the earnings of any particular creative work come in the immediate aftermath of its release, and whilst a "long tail" for some products is a thing, a "long tail" which is worth a drat decades after publication is incredibly rare.

If it's increasingly the case that Disney and other big companies aren't getting the benefit they used to out of the long tail, I can see sensible copyright reform happening soon. The long periods involved stem from copyright laws largely originating in the 18th Century, when the intention was that an author's works should provide an income not just for them but also for their dependents (hence "70 years after death" being the duration in the UK). Now that we don't expect half the population to be utterly dependent on a male relative or husband's income to survive that's much less of a concern.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Maxwell Lord posted:

This is the secret sauce of why Disney fought for it before and why they aren't now. Disney still makes a lot of money off merchandise, but it used to be a bigger share of their bottom line.

Since that point though, merchandise has become less critical - not that they won't fight to protect their turf but it's not life or death the way it used to be. Additionally changes in distribution patterns makes it harder to fight knockoffs anyways. The official distributors don't require an additional legal stick over and above trademark. Hell the threat of losing business with Disney (and Star Wars, and Marvel, and...) would be enough on its own. And after that, the distribution channels are just some guy online. They'll never chase all of them down and if they tried the bad PR would hurt more than lost sales. And like Maxwell Lord said, the Disney characters that derive from public domain still move merch anyways.

This isn't the sole reason - what Warthur and others have said is true as well - but the changes around merchandise remove one of the bigger motives for Disney to press the issue.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Yeah, never underestimate how much power Disney has by owning most of Americas beloved cartoon characters. Back when the Comics Code restricted what people could publish in comics, Disney said "gently caress that, we will do what we want. We dare you not to carry Disney books"

Being able to cut off the tap of Marvel merchandise today is just as big a threat, if not bigger.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not, mind, that Disney comics ever violated the Code except maybe the Carl Banks duck stuff.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mors Rattus posted:

Not, mind, that Disney comics ever violated the Code except maybe the Carl Banks duck stuff.

Oh certainly they didn't. But they had enough leverage to ignore something that could have doomed the rest of the industry.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

IIRC some of Disney's oldest copyrights are arguably more important than Steamboat Willie, because of how Mickey evolved over the decades. Stuff like Winnie the Pooh: AA Milne wrote those stories in the 1920s, and the character is essentially unchanged since then, so when Pooh enters the public domain, it'll be more or less open season for Pooh-related merch, new stories, etc. that consumers will recognize as the same character.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

IIRC some of Disney's oldest copyrights are arguably more important than Steamboat Willie, because of how Mickey evolved over the decades. Stuff like Winnie the Pooh: AA Milne wrote those stories in the 1920s, and the character is essentially unchanged since then, so when Pooh enters the public domain, it'll be more or less open season for Pooh-related merch, new stories, etc. that consumers will recognize as the same character.

Not sure it'll matter. Disney's Pooh looks unique and even if the original becomes PD I'm fairly sure that a) other people still can't copy the Disney-look Pooh and b) As far as new Pooh content, people will tend to seek the Disney version because everything else will look like Amusing Silly Bear even if the creator can write "Winnie the Pooh" on it.

Same with Robin Hood. Nobody can make a disney-looking talking animals Robin Hood, or sell a fox Robin plushie or whatever, and it's not like any of the other cartoons or live action films caused problems for that movie or irs merchandise.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

AlphaDog posted:

Not sure it'll matter. Disney's Pooh looks unique and even if the original becomes PD I'm fairly sure that a) other people still can't copy the Disney-look Pooh and b) As far as new Pooh content, people will tend to seek the Disney version because everything else will look like Amusing Silly Bear even if the creator can write "Winnie the Pooh" on it.

Same with Robin Hood. Nobody can make a disney-looking talking animals Robin Hood, or sell a fox Robin plushie or whatever, and it's not like any of the other cartoons or live action films caused problems for that movie or irs merchandise.

Yeah, Disney's Pooh looks absolutely nothing like Milne's Pooh, who is very much based on a teddy bear design never really used any more. I think Piglet is the only one that actually resembles the Milne version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Warthur posted:

Other cool GW stuff:

- Thanks to stuff like Kill Team (a small-scale skirmish spin-off from Warhammer) and Necromunda, they've realised that there's a bunch of people who won't plough lots of money into buying a few large armies, but who could be persuaded to put down a stack on getting a bunch of small really diversified armies, so they're doing product lines like Genestealer Cults and Adeptus Mechanicus and so on which I'd thought would have been consigned to history.

- The new 40K Warhammer Quest is really cool, they've got a Man of Iron in it (rogue AI robot) and everything.

- In general they seem to have their sense of humour back - the Regimental Standard website, for instance, has steered 40K back onto a more obviously satirical tone than it's had for ages.

- Lots more women in prominent roles in the fiction, more women writing for Black Library, in general less of a boys' club.

In general I think they've righted the ship a lot since the old CEO left.

Don't forget beta rules out now and a full new line of models in the next year or so for Sisters of Battle.