Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
"How dare you almost die? I'll kill you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Even as enamored with the game as I was when I first played it, I really hated this part. It's just... so dumb. :doh:

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

I'm glad the thread already mentioned the lead writer guy responsible for these scenes has been humanely destroyed taken off the series so hopefully this is the last of it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This doesn't really work, but:

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I've wondered if this part was always just a bad joke, or if they changed their minds about killing Ryuji later in development but the cutscene was already animated. Much like the earlier cutscenes where they were all in their uniforms so they had to come up with some nonsensical reasons for the characters to be wearing them.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
This fakeout sort of works...in the context of an LP like, say, this one. If you're playing the game, not so much, because there's no break in between Ryuji's supposed death and the reveal. It just comes off as incredibly pointless.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am no longer dead!

megane
Jun 20, 2008

maybe, like... maybe Ryuji is dead for real and, you know, the rest of the game is like, a hallucination or something, man :350:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I just hope the replacement isn't the guy who pushed his pro-Imperialism in the Raidou Kuzunoha and SMT IV games

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

megane posted:

maybe, like... maybe Ryuji is dead for real and, you know, the rest of the game is like, a hallucination or something, man :350:

This is actually Joker's cognative Ryuji.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm curious if the Persona 5 anime ended yet. I want to see how Shadow Shido looked.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm curious if the Persona 5 anime ended yet. I want to see how Shadow Shido looked.

lol about that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Okay, this apparently never came up somehow, so for all of you who didn't watch it (I didn't watch it either, for the record), here is how the Persona 5 anime ends: Akechi shoots Ren Maaku in the head, then walks out of the interrogation room. Roll credits.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm not really sure how to react to that news.

I remember hearing that the Persona 5 animation felt like a cash grab as opposed to the Persona 4 animation that felt like they wanted to do an adaptation, but jeez.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Arist posted:

Okay, this apparently never came up somehow, so for all of you who didn't watch it (I didn't watch it either, for the record), here is how the Persona 5 anime ends: Akechi shoots Ren Maaku in the head, then walks out of the interrogation room. Roll credits.

Obviously the true ending of the game. :akechi:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

The Doomhammer posted:

I've wondered if this part was always just a bad joke, or if they changed their minds about killing Ryuji later in development but the cutscene was already animated. Much like the earlier cutscenes where they were all in their uniforms so they had to come up with some nonsensical reasons for the characters to be wearing them.

Or Maaku taking off his glasses to go out, just for the lols.

I wouldn’t be surprised, it seems like every animated cutscene in this game has been shoehorned in from a different story.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
*Holds my P5 merch close*

This game is good, this game is good, this game is good, this game is good, this game is good, this game is good, this game is good...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

this scene makes me mad

Just say that you're happy that your friend isn't dead, you assholes!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Junpei posted:

This game is good, this game is good, this game is good, this game is good, this game is good, this game is good, this game is good...

I mean, it _is_ a good game. But it's also incredibly easy to see its cracks when you're not immersed in it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Sure, you could be happy he's alive.

Or you could finish the job the explosion started. :black101:

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Junpei posted:

It's good but it makes me happy that other people are seeing the cracks in it that I was seeing. Game needs some serious editing. The updated style and graphics are almost worth it, but P4 is better I think.

gmq posted:

I mean, it _is_ a good game. But it's also incredibly easy to see its cracks when you're not immersed in it.

Great minds etc.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 11, 2018

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

RareAcumen posted:

No kidding, I was kind of hoping for a fakeout where they all group hugged him, which seems like the more logical response to seeing someone alive like that.The aggravation you handle with sobbing death threats if he ever puts them through that again. Too bad, I kind of liked Ryuji using his track skills to save the day but that ending really undercuts things. Ah well, it IS good enough to be worth playing or these things wouldn’t annoy so.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm not really sure how to react to that news.

I remember hearing that the Persona 5 animation felt like a cash grab as opposed to the Persona 4 animation that felt like they wanted to do an adaptation, but jeez.

Nah, there's apparently an OVA in the works to finish off the story.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MadDogMike posted:

No kidding, I was kind of hoping for a fakeout where they all group hugged him, which seems like the more logical response to seeing someone alive like that.The aggravation you handle with sobbing death threats if he ever puts them through that again. Too bad, I kind of liked Ryuji using his track skills to save the day but that ending really undercuts things. Ah well, it IS good enough to be worth playing or these things wouldn’t annoy so.

Persona 5 is not the first form of media to do this but I still will continue to dislike it whenever it comes up.

Also I never doubted that Ryuji was fine for a second. I'm supposed to believe a ship blowing up will kill him, after all the poo poo they've been fighting over the last 5 months?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

It's stuff like this that reminds me of how much I've come to dislike these sadistic comedy shticks. It seems to be common in anime style media to have a character that everyone takes a huge dump on even when they really don't deserve it. I have no idea who thinks these kinds of moments are funny, but they leave the worst taste in my mouth, to the point I tend to drop anything that relies on this type of "humour".

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Arist posted:

It's as if...and...and hear me out here...the people behind P5:A...didn't play the game all the way through. Like, that has to be one of the two reasons that ending exists. The other is "lol we're gonna make a part two into an OVA that covers the last parts of the game lol momeymoneymoneymoney!"

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
It's pretty much the latter and I was under the impression that everyone who was aware of the game's plot thought it was going to go that way for that reason.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

LJN92 posted:

It's stuff like this that reminds me of how much I've come to dislike these sadistic comedy shticks. It seems to be common in anime style media to have a character that everyone takes a huge dump on even when they really don't deserve it. I have no idea who thinks these kinds of moments are funny, but they leave the worst taste in my mouth, to the point I tend to drop anything that relies on this type of "humour".

It really doesn't help what was just 'funny' in the previous games is just really loving inappropriate for p5's themes and tones - and they didn't just stop at slapping Ryuji, they apparently knocked him completely senseless.

Like a reflexive slap is bad, but would've been less bad if it was followed up by an apology and a group hug.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

The anime ends with Ryuji speaking up with a "Yeah right!" Because of course that wasn't the real ending. (They just couldn't spoil the real one so close to the game's release. Also, moneymoneymoney)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh, hey, P5 my dude... you forgot the thing where girls like hug Ryuji and THEN say 'if you ever die again we'll kill you' or something and... uh... no? That's what you're going with? Aw.

No, this game is really good. My favorite of the year, but... yeah. :smith:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

LJN92 posted:

See also: The "joke" of female characters not being able to cook well, because isn't it so wacky that a girl might not be a good cook?!?

I'm really glad P5 dropped that after it was a minor point in P3 and a recurring "gag" in P4.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, hey, P5 my dude... you forgot the thing where girls like hug Ryuji and THEN say 'if you ever die again we'll kill you' or something and... uh... no? That's what you're going with? Aw.

No, this game is really good. My favorite of the year, but... yeah. :smith:

ryuji gets dope slapped and then smothered by hugs while begging someone to tell him what he did right, or wrong

looks to joker but he and morgana are clearly drinking it in

begs yusuke for aid, he's just framing the shot

futaba's apathetically clinging to his leg because she doesn't want to feel left out

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Haifisch posted:

See also: The "joke" of female characters not being able to cook well, because isn't it so wacky that a girl might not be a good cook?!?

I'm really glad P5 dropped that after it was a minor point in P3 and a recurring "gag" in P4.

Funnily enough I'm playing through P4 Golden and OH BOY it's the camping trip! Also the fat girl likes it! Ha ha! I lied, it's not funny. I forget if there's any of the girls who can cook. Maybe Naoto? I don't know if she gets the chance.

Oxxidation posted:

ryuji gets dope slapped and then smothered by hugs while begging someone to tell him what he did right, or wrong

looks to joker but he and morgana are clearly drinking it in

begs yusuke for aid, he's just framing the shot

futaba's apathetically clinging to his leg because she doesn't want to feel left out

Genuinely what I was expecting. I'm just saying, I'm pretty sure Yukari would have hugged Junpei. And then slapped, but the hug would have come first.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Y'all also gotta recognize that it's not just money for the P5A

That part is pretty well tied to the cut-off they issued reviewers and streamers and whatnot. It's very possible that they wouldn't greenlight the anime happening without a stop like that, and then only bothering to finish the story if they sold well.

Edit:
Wherever this avatar came from, thanks, you're a saint and I'm very thankful.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think Naoto is a decent cook.

From what I understand, Rise isn't bad either. She just uses more spice than most people like.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think Naoto is a decent cook.

From what I understand, Rise isn't bad either. She just uses more spice than most people like.

yeah, I recall the omelette contest the only problem is Rise's is too spicy for most people, while Chie's is awful and Yukiko's somehow manage to be devoid of flavor.

You only 'win' if you stick with a simple omurice.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

so which fake-out death was more pointless:

this one, or Goofy in Kingdom Hearts 2?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Well both took them real seriously, but I was more willing to take Goofy's seriously. But that's just me.

Here, I was disappointed that no one had more faith in him being alright.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Robindaybird posted:

I just hope the replacement isn't the guy who pushed his pro-Imperialism in the Raidou Kuzunoha and SMT IV games

Go on...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

AweStriker posted:

Goofy's 'death' at least led to a neat sequence.

Ryuji's comes after his 'contribute to the team' moment and is at his expense.