Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It's fine to complain but re-iterating the same complaint over and over again is more tiring to read than it probably is to post

And I'm not seriously saying someone who doesn't like the episode should force themselves to watch it, but I am highlighting that there's a slight absurdity to obsessively commenting on something you simultaneously refuse to engage with

Here's a good scene from a fun episode

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJfHc6TL8p0

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

If you skip an episode, okay that's great, but why bring it up if you're avoiding it? You should only talk about it if you're going to watch it :o:

It's like if I noticeably kept mentioning how much I hate the Greek episode apropos of nothing. Nobody's making me watch it (thank God), more importantly, nobody's making me talk about it (but I do relish the chance to dish on it! That is a BAD episode and nothing more to say about it!!!)

And it's not like that's the only episode where Frasier's a TOTAL creep. What about S05E01 where he takes a sleeping selfie of the woman he's seeing without her knowledge or permission? Mention that one once in a while instead of mentioning four plus times the same episode you refuse to watch

if you dont like a post that's great by why bring it up????

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Stop owning me goddamnit

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who was worse? Kate or Ronee. I can't decide.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Kate, the weirdo station manager? I didn't know if it was the actor's decisions or if she had some problem, but I always felt like she was twitching and acting really unnaturally a lot of the time. Kind of spastic. And her voice is weird. But I thought it was funny when they were in that elevator together and it just kept getting sexier and sexier.

So she's my vote for worse.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Wasn't she somebody's girlfriend?

It's any of Daphne's relatives, followed closely by Daphne.

She's easily the least funny regular.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL you’ve made twice as many posts about how tired my complaints are than I have, to defend dated sexism from a 90’s sitcom.

Also I definitely take pictures of my sleeping girlfriend all the time.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bluedeanie posted:

I respectfully think youre allowed to talk about things that are bad in things you otherwise enjoy. I dont think it is bad when people complained that Niles and Daphne devolved almost immediately into the sitcom standard nagging-wife-and-incompetent-husband, and I also don't think it's bad that some posters dont like to watch an episode where all the men become inexplicable sex perverts and its the punchline of a joke that they dont respect a lady's desire for privacy. if you disagree, well...... i'm listening

How is anyone a sex pervert in that episode?

Frasier commits a social faux pas by going into Daphne's room looking for his book, then through a series of unfortunate coincidences keeps making the situation worse and worse as he tries to make it better. Also all his attempts to take a principled, modern stand against his traditional father fall flat and end up creating more trouble, such as his insistence that it was ok to go into Daphne's room because she goes in his room, or that it is unhealthy to use gifts to buy forgiveness.

It's the same basic formula as most Frasier episodes. The only pervert part is probably the joke where Niles briefly thinks that Frasier has made advances on Daphne by going to her room like some sort of 18th century novel

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

How is anyone a sex pervert in that episode?

Frasier commits a social faux pas by going into Daphne's room looking for his book, then through a series of unfortunate coincidences keeps making the situation worse and worse as he tries to make it better. Also all his attempts to take a principled, modern stand against his traditional father fall flat and end up creating more trouble, such as his insistence that it was ok to go into Daphne's room because she goes in his room, or that it is unhealthy to use gifts to buy forgiveness.

It's the same basic formula as most Frasier episodes. The only pervert part is probably the joke where Niles briefly thinks that Frasier has made advances on Daphne by going to her room like some sort of 18th century novel

This.

The whole point of the episode is that he's managed to get himself into an unacceptable situation through his own arrogance, pomposity, boneheadness or just through a series of unlikely coincidences.

Which is, as you say, the premise of about 70% of the show.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And still has the message that he could have avoided all the trouble by respecting Daphne's boundaries, actually communicating with her (and waiting for a few minutes to do both of those) and generally treating her more like an equal would make them get along so much better. Kind of the joke with Frasier and Niles being snobs is that they're used to strict social roles in a world where they very often don't apply anymore.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
It’s almost as if dramatic irony is a humorous plot device and there is more opportunity for comedy when characters are not paragons of virtue

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Please elucidate what irony is transpiring

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Shut up Mrs. Tingle, nobody likes you.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

Please elucidate what irony is transpiring

All right all right, fine. Okay, so get this:

He’s in there

But he’s not supposed to be :ssh:

And Daphne is understandably upset (and in no way is it played that Frasier is in the right), but due to his poor choices and crazy circumstances he keeps going back. And boy I tell you she was not happy about that! Eventually Frasier, the main character, is forced to make a grand gesture to keep Daphne in the household which could have been avoided had he been consistent about minding his own business. Derp! You might say what ended up happening was the opposite of what they all wanted to happen, which creates drama between the characters due to the irony of the situation :downs:

How is this a hill to die on?

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Man I hate this fuckin episode so much I can’t stop posting about it ALSO someone needs to explain it to me since having skipped it I have no idea what actually happens in it :shrug:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Bust Rodd posted:

to defend dated sexism from a 90’s sitcom.

I’m just seeing this now- gently caress you. You know that’s not what’s happening.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Dramatic irony is when you the audience know something the characters don't.

This is English 101 people. Or is that :thejoke:

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Yeah like when Frasiers in there and we know it and daphne doesn’t

But there’s definitely a whole treatise to be written about his underlying intent of being there in the first place

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I feel like that episode was one of their only attempts to really explore the relationship between Daphne and Frasier and the whole kind of weird dynamic of her living in his apartment. They didn't really bother exploring it after that, I guess because her relationship with Niles was much more interesting and relatable. Mostly she was just another person who showed up in the living room to do hijinx.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who was worse? Kate or Ronee. I can't decide.

Probably about equal, but the writing as a whole was more inspired during the Kate era.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Sir Lemming posted:

I feel like that episode was one of their only attempts to really explore the relationship between Daphne and Frasier and the whole kind of weird dynamic of her living in his apartment. They didn't really bother exploring it after that, I guess because her relationship with Niles was much more interesting and relatable. Mostly she was just another person who showed up in the living room to do hijinx.

They had the episode where she was banging the plumber in her room and it weirded Frasier out

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
And Donny stays over in S6 so he’s clearly over whatever neurosis he had about her having Gentleman Callers

Can we say Frasier is redeemed, or is this a stupid catholic type thing where we drat him forever for one thing he did one time despite making a complete turnaround on it. One things for sure, I’m not gonna watch the episode to find out!!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
It's way worse how he makes her do laundry in the basement for years so he can have a closet for his hats. She's a health professional!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I still can't figure out why a physical therapist is cleaning, cooking, and doing laundry.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

I still can't figure out why a physical therapist is cleaning, cooking, and doing laundry.

Because they didn't want her to be a maid because even in the 90's a creepy brother obsessing about a servant was weird.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Brawnfire posted:

If Frasier was as hacky and lovely as Friends, they would have replaced her with a helper monkey in season 4.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Brawnfire posted:

She was a shite therapist: Martin's limp never improved.

It was always a bit shaky as to how she managed to get a Green Card anyway:

https://www.immi-usa.com/eb2-for-physical-therapist/

quote:

The exceptional ability criteria can be a trickier subject. The USCIS requires you to present at least three of the following:

Evidence of a specialized degree or certificate in your field.
Letters that demonstrate that you have at least 10 years of experience in your field.
Any necessary licenses required to perform your occupation.
Proof that you are compensated a large salary for your work.
A membership in a professional organization or association
Documented recognition for your achievements in your field from esteemed peers and contemporaries.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If Frasier was as hacky and lovely as Friends, they would have replaced her with a helper monkey in season 4.

A monkey and a dog?? What is this, Doctor Doolittle??

That monkey would go on to become more successful than David Schwimmer (though that statement qualifies itself)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

spog posted:

She was a shite therapist: Martin's limp never improved.

It was always a bit shaky as to how she managed to get a Green Card anyway:

https://www.immi-usa.com/eb2-for-physical-therapist/

I think she'd have 3 of those things pretty easily.

She'd be licensed. She's definitely a member of a professional organization since she's part of a firm. I'm assuming she would have her degree in the field.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Man I hate this fuckin episode so much I can’t stop posting about it ALSO someone needs to explain it to me since having skipped it I have no idea what actually happens in it :shrug:

havin' a normal one in the frasier thread

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

A monkey and a dog?? What is this, Doctor Doolittle??

That monkey would go on to become more successful than David Schwimmer (though that statement qualifies itself)

Yeah but that monkey is loving dead and Ross is still creeping

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I actually think Katie is still alive, or at least is according to her IMDB

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Helper monkeys seem like one of those things that was always basically just a pretence for an exotic pet.

Also, fingerblast etc.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Helper monkeys seem like one of those things that was always basically just a pretence for an exotic pet.

Sort of like how having a "home healthcare worker" was a pretence for having a wacky maid character.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Sort of like how having a "home healthcare worker" was a pretence for having a wacky maid character.

Pretty much, yeah.

That said, given the pilot does mention that Martin was trapped on the bathroom floor for hours because he fell and couldn't get up, Daphne's deal being basically an able-bodied person to look after Martin and keep his health up made sense. You do see her putting him through exercises every now and again throughout the series. I figured she does the other stuff mostly for something to do, since Martin does a reasonable job taking care of himself otherwise.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Martin would not be in a position to haul laundry up and down the building and Frasier probably just piggybacks on daphne to do his laundry as well

And probably added a financial incentive and another task and another incentive til there’s no discernible difference between her and a live-in housekeeper

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

"I'm not your bloody maid, Dr Crane!"

"Oh yes, I know, and I understand what a terrible imposition this is, but please understand I would never ask this of you if I had any other option."

"It's just I went to school for yeahs to get me professional certification, and I don't much appreciate being treated like a washwoman!"

"And of course I recognize that Daphne... Tell you what, what if I were to give you a bit of a bonus? It's the holidays after all, I can afford to be a bit less... Spendthrift."

"Well, I..."

"I'll even take you out for a dinner at Le Cigare Volant, my treat."

"I suppose it is a bit silly to be all up in arms about a little laundry--"

"Splendid! Now, I warn you I was at a particularly long showing of Der Ring des Nibelungen the other night, and--well you know, those seats--"

"...skidmarks, Dr. Crane?"

"Ah... Well... you're the expert."

Brawnfire fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 12, 2018

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Brawnfire posted:

"I'm not your bloody maid, Mistah Crane!"

"Oh yes, I know, and I understand what a terrible imposition this is, but please understand I would never ask this of you if I had any other option."

"It's just I went to school for yeahs to get me professional certification, and I don't much appreciate being treated like a washwoman!"

"And of course I recognize that Daphne... Tell you what, what if I were to give you a bit of a bonus? It's the holidays after all, I can afford to be a bit less... Spendthrift."

"Well, I..."

"I'll even take you out for a dinner at Le Cigare Volant, my treat."

"I suppose it is a bit silly to be all up in arms about a little laundry--"

"Splendid! Now, I warn you I was at a particularly long showing of Der Ring des Nibelungen the other night, and--well you know, those seats--"

"...skidmarks, Mr. Crane?"

"Ah... Well... you're the expert."

Either you hosed up by claiming Martin would willingly go to the opera and talk exactly like Frasier or you hosed up by having Daphne call Frasier "Mr" Crane so which is it you fool

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Calaveron posted:

Either you hosed up by claiming Martin would willingly go to the opera and talk exactly like Frasier or you hosed up by having Daphne call Frasier "Mr" Crane so which is it you fool

The latter, you cur!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't very well discuss it with Dr. Crane. He's so close to Dr. Crane. If I told him, he might tell Dr. Crane and then Dr. Crane might feel embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

FRASIER CRANE'S HUMONGOUS rear end CONTEST!