Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Also, it really depends on your prescription.

If you have a standard prescription, you can go with basically anybody.

If it's a high strength prescription or otherwise odd - they're getting better, but I know in my own experience I've been told "Yeah, it'll be a few days, we attempted to make the lens and it shattered in the process." (I have an absurdly strong prescription and always have, have to see a specialized low-vision optometrist and everything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Prices in stores are obviously inflated but the online stuff is sketchy

https://www.spindeleye.com/blog/2016/01/issues-associated-with-buying-glasses-online/

A study published by the medical journal Optometry: Journal of the American Optometric Association found that more than one in five pairs of eyeglasses purchased online was incorrect when delivered. Around 28% of these eyeglasses had at least one lens that contained the wrong prescription. Many online retailers don’t have an eye doctor on staff who will verify prescriptions before eyeglasses are sent out to customers. This means you’re paying money for a product that doesn’t even solve your vision problems, and in fact, might make them worse.

The same study determined that almost half of the prescription eyeglasses purchased online failed key safety standards. Around 22% of eyeglasses failed the Food and Drug Administration’s regulation regarding impact resistance, meaning they could easily crack or shatter. This means that while you may save some money by purchasing eyeglasses from an online retailer, you might be purchasing a product that is unsafe and can cause harm to you or whoever will be wearing the eyeglasses. It’s much safer to visit a reputable eye doctor for your eye care needs and to guarantee your health and safety.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
gently caress Luxottica.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Glasses are sold by a monopoly.

Luxottica has the most amazing grift going. Their more expensive sunglass options are nice though.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

https://www.spindeleye.com/blog/2016/01/issues-associated-with-buying-glasses-online/

A study published by the medical journal Optometry: Journal of the American Optometric Association found that more than one in five pairs of eyeglasses purchased online was incorrect when delivered. Around 28% of these eyeglasses had at least one lens that contained the wrong prescription. Many online retailers don’t have an eye doctor on staff who will verify prescriptions before eyeglasses are sent out to customers. This means you’re paying money for a product that doesn’t even solve your vision problems, and in fact, might make them worse.

The same study determined that almost half of the prescription eyeglasses purchased online failed key safety standards. Around 22% of eyeglasses failed the Food and Drug Administration’s regulation regarding impact resistance, meaning they could easily crack or shatter. This means that while you may save some money by purchasing eyeglasses from an online retailer, you might be purchasing a product that is unsafe and can cause harm to you or whoever will be wearing the eyeglasses. It’s much safer to visit a reputable eye doctor for your eye care needs and to guarantee your health and safety.

But if you put your glasses on and your vision is worse won't you immediately notice that and return them?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

But if you put your glasses on and your vision is worse won't you immediately notice that and return them?

Not necessarily. You can have it be closer to correct but not all the way there or differently wrong (wrong focal point but right strength, etc etc). It's not a single-factor correction. On top of that, a lot of people go for a very long time without glasses or incorrect prescriptions, so when they put on a new pair they go "whoa" and assume this is how they're supposed to be seeing, rather than that their glasses are "differently wrong."

Also, good luck returning most of those online glasses.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I have really good health insurance but the optical portion is dogshit because no one takes it. No one, that is, except Costco. I went to Costco and for under $100 I got an eye exam and two pairs of new glasses. The selection is super limited but it's fast and cheap as gently caress.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Glasses rackets led me to get Lasik out of spite.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I've been ordering online for like over 10 years (Optical4Less, Zennioptical, and EyeBuyDirect) and have never had a prescription be wrong. I generally go into Costco for an eye exam once a year and they check out my eyesight with my glasses and stuff and it's basically never changed. I can also tell if it looks like theres any difference in my vision at all if I put on a new pair or start getting headaches. I mean yeah don't order from some super no-name shady place. I would also not be trusting of a study furnished by an industry with a vested interest in the status quo.

also yeah gently caress luxotica.

If you have to do retail, do costco eye center

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇
Is not the issue that glasses have major fashion focus and major need for fitting? It is hard to think of other medical equipment besides the glasses that has both requirements, and they are both major way to upsell and constrain price-shopping. Where I live, prescription glasses prices can often be over €200 if paid all by consumer at the physical stores, even though one can receive very generic ugly kinds for minimal costs around €30. It is also not uncommon that a person might still have to pay €100 or so for their frame and lenses even after health coverage.

There are laws that aim to make it so most people will not have to pay at all for a standard range of frames and colors anymore from 2020, but anyone who wants the stylish kinds will still be paying of it.

Do not also neglect that glasses sellers around the world are eager to sell you coatings on lenses that are not strictly neccesary, and where they are free to make quite much profit.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Thank god there's no way that study had any inherent bias.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

pseudanonymous posted:

Thank god there's no way that study had any inherent bias.

That’s what I was thinking as well. I want to know what the tolerance is on prescription strength - are the glasses .001% off, and that’s how they’re getting the 28% number, or are the prescriptions seriously hosed up? The cynic in me guesses the former.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Looks like textbook FUD.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

pls i need eye doctor to tell me this glasses hosed and im blind

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
The funny thing about Costco's eyeglass racket is that, while they don't run the optometrist's office that they host in house, they clearly force them to have all patients acknowledge two things:

1) Costco and it's optometrist will not adjust or provide service for eyeglasses purchased online

2) the optometrist will NOT provide information such as pupal distance (or whatever it is you need to send to Warby Parker to get their lenses made).

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

JnnyThndrs posted:

That’s what I was thinking as well. I want to know what the tolerance is on prescription strength - are the glasses .001% off, and that’s how they’re getting the 28% number, or are the prescriptions seriously hosed up? The cynic in me guesses the former.

If you wanna read the study it is here

There are a couple problems with the study methodology overall (biggest one I see is that the researchers are the participants) but the biggest takeaway is in the discussion which is that the error rate is similar for internet orders and in-house. Looking into the ANSI standard they cite, it does look like they may have used too tight of tolerances. The other issue is they don't say which vendors they used and they do zero follow up with any of their issues with the vendors. They also order fewer than 20 per vendor so the sample size is poo poo, which they make up for by using 10 vendors. They also don't bin or distinguish between vendors at all (not even with placeholders, they lump them by RX type). So ya, it's complete poo poo trying to scare people to go in person.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

The funny thing about Costco's eyeglass racket is that, while they don't run the optometrist's office that they host in house, they clearly force them to have all patients acknowledge two things:

1) Costco and it's optometrist will not adjust or provide service for eyeglasses purchased online

2) the optometrist will NOT provide information such as pupal distance (or whatever it is you need to send to Warby Parker to get their lenses made).

The person behind the glasses counter gave me the pupal distance, so it's not a company wide mandate.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

uhh yeah my dude ive had my PD measured by Costco optometrist no problem. maybve it varies by store/optometrist, either that or its a new policy because that definitly wasn't the case a couple years ago

its really easy to measure though if you have someone helping. ask your s/o, parents, neighbor, whatever

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Raldikuk posted:

If you wanna read the study it is here

There are a couple problems with the study methodology overall (biggest one I see is that the researchers are the participants) but the biggest takeaway is in the discussion which is that the error rate is similar for internet orders and in-house. Looking into the ANSI standard they cite, it does look like they may have used too tight of tolerances. The other issue is they don't say which vendors they used and they do zero follow up with any of their issues with the vendors. They also order fewer than 20 per vendor so the sample size is poo poo, which they make up for by using 10 vendors. They also don't bin or distinguish between vendors at all (not even with placeholders, they lump them by RX type). So ya, it's complete poo poo trying to scare people to go in person.

That's a good breakdown and extremely typical for any sort of medical-ly "journal". now Optometry is one of the better ones compared to "Advanced Medicine and Optemtry Science Technology & Science" turbo rags that are all just pay2publish to get their soundbite in the media to as a "reputable" sounding paper to people who don't know better in order to further whatever issue they're pushing, but its all a loving inbred joke and you can pretty much publish whatever you want as long as you pay up and/or have the connections.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Xaris posted:

uhh yeah my dude ive had my PD measured by Costco optometrist no problem. maybve it varies by store/optometrist, either that or its a new policy because that definitly wasn't the case a couple years ago

its really easy to measure though if you have someone helping. ask your s/o, parents, neighbor, whatever

Yeah it might not be company wide but I figure their flagship store probably follows whatever the newest policies are?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Costco doesn't employ optometrists. Costco sells frames+lenses+contacts, and rents office space to an optometrist that does exams. That optometrist may or may not tell you a PD number, depending on if they're a dick and your state's law.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I literally had to sign a form saying I understand they won't give me that information before they would see me for an exam.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

I'm pretty sure it's a state law thing as to if they have to provide it or not. Same deal with contact prescriptions.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sundae posted:

Not necessarily. You can have it be closer to correct but not all the way there or differently wrong (wrong focal point but right strength, etc etc). It's not a single-factor correction. On top of that, a lot of people go for a very long time without glasses or incorrect prescriptions, so when they put on a new pair they go "whoa" and assume this is how they're supposed to be seeing, rather than that their glasses are "differently wrong."

Also, good luck returning most of those online glasses.

Use a credit card, bingo bango bongo

For what it's worth my prescription is pretty weak and zennioptical never seems to get it wrong. I say seems because my vision is better than 20/20 if I have my glasses on and worse without them, but I guess hypothetically someone could do an even better job at correcting my vision. But I seriously doubt that the average glasses shop is really going to give me better results on average, in my own experience I've had 2 pairs from walk-in shops that were seriously hosed up whereas all of my zenni pairs have been fine

nepetaMisekiryoiki posted:

Is not the issue that glasses have major fashion focus and major need for fitting? It is hard to think of other medical equipment besides the glasses that has both requirements, and they are both major way to upsell and constrain price-shopping. Where I live, prescription glasses prices can often be over €200 if paid all by consumer at the physical stores, even though one can receive very generic ugly kinds for minimal costs around €30. It is also not uncommon that a person might still have to pay €100 or so for their frame and lenses even after health coverage.

There are laws that aim to make it so most people will not have to pay at all for a standard range of frames and colors anymore from 2020, but anyone who wants the stylish kinds will still be paying of it.

Do not also neglect that glasses sellers around the world are eager to sell you coatings on lenses that are not strictly neccesary, and where they are free to make quite much profit.

Unless you have a majorly asymmetric face then "fitting" is too strong a term for what most people do when they get new frames; most frames fit a pretty wide range of face sizes and people walking in to get "fitted" are usually just being told "look on these shelves for glasses that fit your face" rather than getting some frames they like resized or something. For the online shops if you know your actual PD then you can use that to find frames that fit you, take an existing pair of glasses and figure out what what the PD likely is for those, or the online stores offer guidance for how to measure your PD accurately enough for you to pick out a set of frames that will probably fit

At Zenni I always get a pair of normal glasses for like $20 and then a blinged out pair of polarized+reflective sunglasses so I can look pimp in my 1995 sedan with the windows rolled down and I pull up next to young ladies to say "sup" and tell them a dad joke before driving off with my rad shades

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My eyes are supremely hosed up. The only place our poo poo insurance covered was walmart vision center and they cocked it up so bad that after waiting two weeks for my glasses to come in, I couldn't see out of them.

So i got a refund, went and paid a better optometrist, and ordered my glasses off of zenni, it was about 80 bucks (instead of 300+ elsewhere) and they have been perfect. Also got here in about a week and a day.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

but look those online glasses don't withstand our rigorous tests *smashes your glasses with a hammer* see they're all broken now, shoulda gone to lenscrafters

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I paid $18 including shipping for my first pair from zenni and they lasted about 8 months before the screw came out and I decided to get a new better looking pair rather than find my tiny screwdriver and try to fix it. A $300 Lenscrafters pair would have to last 10 years to be of equal value.

Buying in person seems to be for suckers to me.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Prescription lenses aren't really made in any sort of handcrafted way where you'd even expect a local place taking their time to do a better job.

The prescription gets fed into an equation on a computer and it spits out "Use this lens blank, grind this curvature into the back". The blank goes into CNC tools that grind and polish it. As long as no one enters the wrong information, the output quality is going to depend on the tools being high quality and well maintained, so a multimillion dollar factory line is likely to be better than a cheaper machine in a local place that doesn't have dedicated people taking care of it.

The other part is cutting and mounting the lenses in the frames, but I'd still probably trust expensive purpose-built and tweaked equipment over a person doing it by hand with frames that they'll only work with a few times per month/year.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 6, 2018

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Foxfire_ posted:

Prescription lenses aren't really made in any sort of handcrafted way where you'd even expect a local place taking their time to do a better job.

The prescription gets fed into an equation on a computer and it spits out "Use this lens blank, grind this curvature into the back". The blank goes into CNC tools that grind and polish it. As long as no one enters the wrong information, the output quality is going to depend on the tools being high quality and well maintained, so a multimillion dollar factory line is likely to be better than a cheaper machine in a local place that doesn't have dedicated people taking care of it.

The other part is cutting and mounting the lenses in the frames, but I'd still probably trust expensive purpose-built and tweaked equipment over a person doing it by hand with frames that they'll only work with a few times per month/year.

When I worked in an opticians we didn't do any of that grinding stuff, if you had a +1.75/+0.25 prescription in one eye we'd literally just open up a packet with a +1.75/+0.25 lens, align the cyl at the correct angle and then cut the lens to the frame shape. I worked for a chain but even the independent opticians used a similar system and just ordered the lenses from a company. I'm not sure how much on-site CNCing even happens anywhere any more (though it might be different in the US).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

jit bull transpile posted:

Yeah, for example in my case I'm 6'4 and a woman's 15 in shoes so so there's only 2 sites on the internet where I can reasonably find stuff and they have 10% restocking fees and shipping takes a couple weeks. Or I can go to the mall and hope to get lucky on a few things fitting right and being long enough.

I had the opposite experience: I only buy shoes online because at my size the stores never stock the ones I want.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Foxfire_ posted:

Sure, but if you have weird eyes like mine they can't use standard lenses (as Reveilled says, that's the fast and cheap thing), but have to grind them specifically for that specification. And that poo poo gets rather expensive, since any production of unitsize = 1 instead of unitsize=10,000 usually is, regardless if some dude handcrafts them or a machine makes them.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Decius posted:

Sure, but if you have weird eyes like mine they can't use standard lenses (as Reveilled says, that's the fast and cheap thing), but have to grind them specifically for that specification. And that poo poo gets rather expensive, since any production of unitsize = 1 instead of unitsize=10,000 usually is, regardless if some dude handcrafts them or a machine makes them.

I remember we had a guy in once who had the most insanely high prescription I’d ever seen. Plastic just straight up did not have sufficient refractive power to take his prescription. We had to order him lenses made of actual glass direct from Zeiss in Germany. I imagine they were still machine ground but those lenses started at £900 retail and only got pricier from there, and that’s before you price in frames. He got them free because he was an NHS patient, but gently caress me, if he ever dropped them...

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

HootTheOwl posted:

I had the opposite experience: I only buy shoes online because at my size the stores never stock the ones I want.

what size feet are you? I buy my shoes online (sometimes at REI with the 20% off coupon or to try em) just because my size is often out of stock or not carried, but thats just because I have really wide feet (9.5-10 2E). also if stores ever have any sale on them, they're often gone quickly so I can get some pretty good sales online for them at least

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Xaris posted:

what size feet are you? I buy my shoes online (sometimes at REI with the 20% off coupon or to try em) just because my size is often out of stock or not carried, but thats just because I have really wide feet (9.5-10 2E). also if stores ever have any sale on them, they're often gone quickly so I can get some pretty good sales online for them at least

14. If I wanted generic mall shoes it's about 50/50 they'll be in store, but I'm a picky sneakerhead so most of the time I'm buying at launch, off eBay, or at Oddball.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

HootTheOwl posted:

14. If I wanted generic mall shoes it's about 50/50 they'll be in store, but I'm a picky sneakerhead so most of the time I'm buying at launch, off eBay, or at Oddball.

I guess I'm lucky I'm a size smaller. It just makes finding the right size in stores a slight inconvenience instead of a complete pain in the rear end.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Depending on brand and style, I am anywhere from an 11e to 13e and buying shoes in perosn sucks and basically impossible to get right in one go online.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It can be pretty awful when a glasses rx is wrong, and it's not by any means limited to online stores, unfortunately.

I went about 6mo wearing glasses that should've had 26 diopters of prism correction (to correct crossed eyes & bad double vision), when in reality they had somewhere around 0 diopters of correction!

Online stores (and Costco too) don't generally do prism lenses over 5-8 diopters/lens, and these were from the optician attached to my then optholmologist's office, took almost a month to get made, and were loving expensive to boot.

But, because of the error, I spent 6mo thinking my brain was broken and that I had incorrectable double vision or horror fusionis or something. Working and driving got really, really stressful.

Eventually I gave up and saw a new optholmologist, he politely let me know my glasses were VERY VERY WRONG, and it turned out my rx was more like 45 diopters. he did eye surgery stuff and now I have no double vision and can wear normal glasses! hooray!

QuarkJets posted:

I thought my eyes were just "adjusting" for the first couple months, as dumb as that sounds to me now

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Dec 12, 2018

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Gnossiennes posted:

It can be pretty awful when a glasses rx is wrong, and it's not by any means limited to online stores, unfortunately.

I went about 6mo wearing glasses that should've had 26 diopters of prism correction (to correct crossed eyes & bad double vision), when in reality they had somewhere around 0 diopters of correction!

Online stores (and Costco too) don't generally do prism lenses over 5-8 diopters/lens, and these were from the optician attached to my then optholmologist's office, took almost a month to get made, and were loving expensive to boot.

But, because of the error, I spent 6mo thinking my brain was broken and that I had incorrectable double vision or horror fusionis or something. Working and driving got really, really stressful.

Eventually I gave up and saw a new optholmologist, he politely let me know my glasses were VERY VERY WRONG, and it turned out my rx was more like 45 diopters. he did eye surgery stuff and now I have no double vision and can wear normal glasses! hooray!

Yeah, this is why (unless, like me, you need a specialized eye doc (I need a low vision doc) and there aren't many around (there are only 6 docs in all of NJ that deal in low-vision cases like mine, for example)) I always tell people, as someone very experienced with vision stuff and eye doctors - second opinions are cool and good, especially if you have any concerns about the rx the doc wrote. Eventually, I've learned to recognize what a "normal" rx for me is (it takes time, tho) and go "whoa, wait a sec, why the big difference between old script and new script" when there's a big deviation from that. Sometimes it's for good reason...and sometimes the docs do make mistakes, especially if you're going to a doc that has to jam in the patients for, say, insurance reasons.

Moral of the story: You are responsible for educating yourself on wtf your eyes are doing. Most people, this won't be difficult (people who have more severe conditions should seriously consider "how much is my doc educating me about wtf is going on" as part of figuring out "is this doc good", imo), but get a sense of how "normal progression" for your eye conditions works, and be insistent on asking questions if anything seems to least bit off.

(Will post my glasses rx, at least the relevant numbers, to thread when eye exam is done, hopefully tomorrow (if I get a new rx, I might not) - we already know I can't get mine online, it's from at least visionworks or another retail place, but it should hopefully illustrate to everyone "this is what an absurdly strong prescription looks like".)

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Spacewolf posted:

Yeah, this is why (unless, like me, you need a specialized eye doc (I need a low vision doc) and there aren't many around (there are only 6 docs in all of NJ that deal in low-vision cases like mine, for example)) I always tell people, as someone very experienced with vision stuff and eye doctors - second opinions are cool and good, especially if you have any concerns about the rx the doc wrote. Eventually, I've learned to recognize what a "normal" rx for me is (it takes time, tho) and go "whoa, wait a sec, why the big difference between old script and new script" when there's a big deviation from that. Sometimes it's for good reason...and sometimes the docs do make mistakes, especially if you're going to a doc that has to jam in the patients for, say, insurance reasons.

Moral of the story: You are responsible for educating yourself on wtf your eyes are doing. Most people, this won't be difficult (people who have more severe conditions should seriously consider "how much is my doc educating me about wtf is going on" as part of figuring out "is this doc good", imo), but get a sense of how "normal progression" for your eye conditions works, and be insistent on asking questions if anything seems to least bit off.

(Will post my glasses rx, at least the relevant numbers, to thread when eye exam is done, hopefully tomorrow (if I get a new rx, I might not) - we already know I can't get mine online, it's from at least visionworks or another retail place, but it should hopefully illustrate to everyone "this is what an absurdly strong prescription looks like".)

But that's the thing, I wasn't unfamiliar with what my eyes were doing overall :confused: I've worn glasses since I was 7 and am pretty dang myopic, and crossed eyes are a really common thing in my family. I had patch correction as a kid, but unfortunately it didn't last. So I mean, I knew perfectly well why I was getting double vision, but I didn't know necessarily the specifics of it because overall the medical system loving sucks at educating patients

Separate issue, but it took years of telling optometrists that I was getting double vision before I got any prism correction, and even then, it was maybe 6diopters of correction. That's not a ton, but for a while an increase would make my brain so registering the left eye and double vision would stop. The issue there, imo, is that despite my eyes having a pretty substantial inward turn (again, before surgery, I needed about 45 diopters of correction), they didn't look ridiculously crossed, so optometrists were assuming it was stress/tiredness related. That's why I eventually went to an ophthalmologist instead.

So why was it hard to know my Rx was wrong, and more importantly, that the glasses themselves were made wrong? there were a few reasons, but the main two -- a) they looked like prism glasses, weirdly refractive lenses, super thick, etc. b) when I first got prisms years ago, it took time to adjust. it made the natural curvilinear perspective change a bit, and it took a lil bit for my brain to be ok with that. So switching back to basically zero correction was another change, and I didn't connect that change with being a lack of correction.

The other reasons: I thought it was stress related. I'd had (non-eye) surgery a few days after getting those glasses, and had several weeks of recovery after that that I was a bit more concerned about. Also my city was on fire, and that was it's own thing. I thought stress was making my eyes lovely, because I was told that in the past!

But you're right on looking for people who specialize. I'm forever grateful to the ophthalmologist I saw after that, which was a diff one who specializes in strabismus correction. My rx never should've been corrected with ground-in lenses, even at 26 diopters -- it should've been fresnel press-on prisms, even though that had it's own issues. I know that now, but I didn't back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Gnossiennes posted:

But that's the thing, I wasn't unfamiliar with what my eyes were doing overall :confused:

I figured you weren't. Most people, though, are usually really unfamiliar with what their eyes are doing and why, and that was aimed at everybody else (using your story as a springboard).