Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
I don't... is the progress through the worlds supposed to be approaching Airy's boss where the darkness is supposed to be breaking through? Because honestly with every iteration the world gets a little better off in its standing, with more reasonable and less fanatic individuals. I just... this is so weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
It's every world until the one where, ostensibly, Airy wipes out everything.

Clearly she wants to start with the best one first :v:

werbear
Jan 14, 2017

RelentlessImp posted:

I just... this is so weird.

The brighter a light the deeper the shadow.
So since we are getting closer and closer to the ultimate darkness the people must get brighter and brighter.
When Airy's wings still were at 100+ Eternians were slinging poop at each other instead of talking.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I don't remember if this was shown, but apparently if you go back to see Qada after Kamiizumi kills him in the earlier chapters, his ghost is lurking there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

werbear posted:

The brighter a light the deeper the shadow.
So since we are getting closer and closer to the ultimate darkness the people must get brighter and brighter.
When Airy's wings still were at 100+ Eternians were slinging poop at each other instead of talking.
I feel like that was maybe one or two worlds before the party's; back when her wings still read triple-digit numbers, I'm pretty sure everyone had already murdered each other. In fact, there are only 666 worlds; the reason it took Airy so long is that the early ones had already used Crystal-powered nukes to eradicate all sentient life, and you have no idea how long it takes to have a cockroach awaken a Crystal.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Well that’s what they had the Cybernetic Ghost of Vestals Past From the Future for, of course.

DGM_2
Jun 13, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

In fact, there are only 666 worlds;

Was that covered earlier in the LP? I don't remember reading that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DGM_2 posted:

Was that covered earlier in the LP? I don't remember reading that.
No, it's just something I made up for that gag.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Let's Learn Jobs: Conjurer

Conjurer is the final job in Bravely Default. But is it the ultimate job? No, and in a game where variety is key to fun gameplay, that's a good thing. Its role is less powerhouse, more utility. The job is mediocre on its own, instead serving as an excellent supplement to the other jobs and offering some nice quality of life benefits.

Conjurer is a reworked version of the Evoker job from FF3, with their specialty now being using summons to buff stats. Like Summoners, they are unable to use the bulk of their abilities without gaining control of summons first.

Job icon is a spool of thread, representing Yulyana's favorite hobby and the conjurer's ability to weave magic, similar to its use in Loom (ask me about Loom!). The command icon is most likely magic, representing the conjurer's method of summoning.

Conjurer's pluses are deceptive: although they have good aptitude with all weapons, their strength is mediocre; as a primary job, they're best suited to being a magic-user.

Blue are support abilities, red are skill abilities.

Level 1 - Invocation Lvl.1: Invoke Girtablulu to raise caster's physical defense to max (150%) for ten turns.
Level 2 - Steady MP Recover: Gain 30 MP at end of each turn, up to max. (Cost: 1)
Level 3 - Invocation Lvl.2: Invoke Hresvelgr to raise caster's speed and evasion to max (150%) for ten turns.
Level 4 - Critical MP Recover: Gain 200 MP when HP becomes critical. (Cost: 1)
Level 5 - Invocation Lvl.3: Invoke Ziusudra's Sin to raise caster's magic defense to max (150%) for ten turns.
Level 6 - Save Summon MP: Summon magic MP cost reduced 25%. (Cost: 2)
Level 7 - Post-Battle MP: Allows other jobs to equip the Conjurer specialty. (Cost: 2)
Level 8 - Invocation Lvl.4: Invoke Promethean Fire to raise caster's physical attack to max (150%) for ten turns.
Level 9 - Obliterate: Enemies at least 20 levels below party are killed at battle start, awarding full pg, exp, and jp. (Cost: 4)
Level 10 - Invocation Lvl.5: Invoke Deus Ex to raise caster's magic attack to max (150%) for ten turns.
Level 11 - Max Summoning: Summoning costs twice as much MP but deals 150% more damage. (Cost: 3)
Level 12 - MP 30% Up (Cost: 3)
Level 13 - Invocation Lvl.6: Invoke Susano-o to raise caster's critical strike rate by 600% (up to max of 1000%) for ten turns.
Level 14 - Experience Up: Exp earned increases 150%. (Cost: 1)

Conjurer stat buffs only affect the caster but are far more powerful and varied than other methods of buffing. Ten turns ensures minimum time spent recasting, and boosting crit rate alone can make a so-so damage dealer into a nightmare.

For magic-users, the MP recovery supports can allow practically infinite magic use, perfect for extended battles. Experience Up and Obliterate are also a good help when grinding.

This ability would've been much more useful when the game had mandatory random battles.

These outfits are a custom blend of several different traditional folk costumes from northern and eastern Europe. These light and cozy green, white, and red outfits are decorated with pink accents and gold ornaments for an expensive touch. The women have matching headpieces with long strips of cloth ending in tassels, while the men have shawls forming a high collar and similarly ending in tassels.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't remember if this was shown, but apparently if you go back to see Qada after Kamiizumi kills him in the earlier chapters, his ghost is lurking there.

This was in my notes early on but must've gotten buried before we got to the relevant point. Just checked and confirmed/got footage. I'll add it to my list of things to tack onto the LP before it's archived.

His full dialogue:

Phew, that was entirely too close. Any less of a genius would have died! Honestly, what sort of great and noble swordmaster cuts someone down from behind!? Feh! And why do I feel all tingly? I hope I'm not coming down with something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That's morbidly hilarious.

Also, what's up with Loom?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

That job icon still looks like a baby bottle to me. I know it's a loom, but at a quick glance...

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Also, what's up with Loom?

A cult classic point and click fantasy adventure game from the early 90s in which you play Bobbin Threadbare, last member of the Weavers guild. In this world, the Weavers have discovered the ability to weave "subtle patterns of influence into the very fabric of reality", depicted in game by the player 'weaving' via musical notes using a magical distaff to perform spells.

It's a short, strange, but beautiful game. Don't do Expert mode unless you're able to play music by ear.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Greyarc posted:

A cult classic point and click fantasy adventure game from the early 90s in which you play Bobbin Threadbare, last member of the Weavers guild. In this world, the Weavers have discovered the ability to weave "subtle patterns of influence into the very fabric of reality", depicted in game by the player 'weaving' via musical notes using a magical distaff to perform spells.

It's a short, strange, but beautiful game. Don't do Expert mode unless you're able to play music by ear.

My dad used to have Loom, I think. He had a fair number of early-to-mid-90s computer games bitty me got to watch sometimes.

Like Diablo.

(Unfortunately I do not remember if I ever got to watch Loom.)

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
Unfortunately they never made the planned sequel, so there are a few, er, dangling plot threads. Still definitely worth playing, though.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
We won't ever see a result here or even in Bravely Second; but in the online game "Praying Brage" (takes place a few centuries after this), there is an Earth Vestal named "Lilia DeRosso Oblige." So Victor managed to make his NotVampire Clone Baby.

- Throwing this all in spoiler tags as per OP request (crow)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 4, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Andyzero posted:

the online game "Praying Brage"

the who and where was I?

Alxprit fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 4, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's Japanese exclusive, a staple of popular RPG series.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

This is the worst Christmas present.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I honestly think that the light novel/manga side-story format would be better for stuff like this because at least they keep existing in some way or another, unlike online or mobages that get discontinued with no way to play them ever again thus not knowing their full story.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

From what I'm aware, there are exclusive light novels as well. I remember hearing about a story involving the party going to Florem during a festival and DeRosa being there. The weird part is that this is during the world-hopping shenanigans of Chapters 5 onwards, so Ringabel knows he's a sleaze but still wants to learn his 'technique', which he should know is drugs.

Also, DeRosa is apparently popular in Japan or something. :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 4, 2018

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

From what I'm aware, there are exclusive light novels as well. I remember hearing about a story involving the party going to Florem during a festival and DeRosa being there.

Also, DeRosa is apparently popular in Japan or something. :stare:

That... wouldn't surprise me actually, considering what one of the contributing artists stated in an artbook affiliated with the series.

Folt The Bolt fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 4, 2018

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

The question is, who is the main demographic that likes DeRosa? I mean, yeah, he's kinda hot but his plotline is just NO.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Andyzero posted:

Bravely Second

I've been asked by Greyarc to strongly remind everyone to please abide by the OP rules and STOP. loving. TALKING. ABOUT. BRAVELY. SECOND.

Continue to do so at your peril :toughguy:

Thank you.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

There have been several warnings given lately for spoilers, so I expect anyone keeping up with the thread at this point to be pretty aware of what is and isn't a spoiler. To keep things clear, here's a handy list:

Do Not:
-talk about the sequels regarding the story.
-talk about events that have not yet been shown in the LP.
-wink wink nudge nudge at future events if you know what's going to happen.

Do:
-talk about the stuff that's been shown in the LP.
-theory-crafting for what might possibly happen next, so long as you appear to be genuinely guessing.
-compare Bravely Default to other works, so long as it includes no spoilers and the off-topic conversation doesn't get too extended.
-talk gameplay mostly without restriction, so long as it does not include spoiling story.

I'm going to add this to the OP so there's no confusion.

In the meantime, tonight's post is cancelled and will be posted next week, provided there are no more spoilers in the meantime.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
A week? But we have to light the crystals now! Horrible things will happen if you don't light the crystals. Just a bit further, Greyarc! You can do it!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm assuming the light novel talk might possibly be taboo? As far as what I was mentioning, it was only a side story that took place during the time looping in Bravely Default, which I went back to edit into my post.

I know nothing further about any other light novel stories, though.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm assuming the light novel talk might possibly be taboo? As far as what I was mentioning, it was only a side story that took place during the time looping in Bravely Default, which I went back to edit into my post.

I know nothing further about any other light novel stories, though.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that's fine since it canonically already happened, just off screen.

I realize telling what's a spoiler gets tricky in a multimedia, wonky time franchise like this, but the general gist is to keep the rest of Bravely Default, as well as what happens after, a surprise for those who are coming in fresh. If you find yourself explaining a thing the game(s) hasn't covered but will do eventually, don't do it.

Patter Song posted:

A week? But we have to light the crystals now! Horrible things will happen if you don't light the crystals. Just a bit further, Greyarc! You can do it!

Wait, what's that over there...?

Eternians! I'd better go stop them! *runs off*

Greyarc fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Dec 4, 2018

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Greyarc posted:

Wait, what's that over there...?

Eternians! I'd better go stop them! *runs off*

Hmph. Rude! The fate of humanity...the LP, I mean...is on the line! Clearly, the only way to permanently save it is to light the crystals a fourth time! You have to believe me! Haven't I been there since the beginning...of the thread? Aren't we friends, Greyarc?

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012
The only thing that people should be warned about Bravely Second is that the puns are even worse then Bravely Default.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Wow. In my defense, what I said applied to Praying Brage ONLY. I used the dreaded name, but only to point out I _wasn't_ talking about it.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Yeah, to be fair:

Greyarc posted:

if you find yourself explaining a thing the game(s) hasn't covered but will do eventually, don't do it.

Praying Brage has no impact on the game, save for a Japanese-only promotion that nets you something added to the English version anyways.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I just caught up on this thread and I'm so glad I did before the end. You're doing a great job with the back half of this mess. All I gotta say is that the "Lying Airy"/"Airy Lies" thing on the title screen after the Airy reveal blew my fuckin' mind the first time I saw it. I'm sure other games have done a similar title/HUD/whatever-you-wanna-call-it change after a story reveal, but BD is the first place I can remember seeing it.

Faillen Angel posted:

Praying Brage has no impact on the game, save for a Japanese-only promotion that nets you something added to the English version anyways.

Yeah but it's still technically a sequel, dude. That's a pretty cut and dried violation of spoiler policy.

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

Entry 102 Part 2: Alternis Saves the Day (the Party Also Exists)

Okay, I'm not making another chart, but I'm pretty sure we defeated all the Eternians.

Wait. Khamer and... Einheria, Kamiizumi... Khint and Jackal...

Ha ha, how could we forget. A certain axis of evil is still missing. This quest isn't available until after you chat with Einheria in Eternia City.

But where are they? Where would a plotting rapist/serial murderer, a madman specializing in WMDs, and a yellow-haired sociopathic plutocrat go to hide?

I can take a guess. Back to Central Command and down the staircase to where the party was once held captive, several worlds back.

To the now-abandoned prison, dark, rank, and out of sight.

Ah ha.

Like I said, best for last. :getin:

AAA-CHOO! I completely agree. Who schedules meetings down in a dungeon?

Easy, gentlemen. I thought it fitting. It's where we all started, eh? Besides, you've hardly suffered for hitching yourselves to my wagon fifteen years past.

Chairman Profiteur, you've amassed a fortune selling the Orthodoxy treasures you looted.

We're starting off well, with direct confirmation of the suspicions Braev's army had during their Eternian occupation.

Same here. The notes we saw in Everlast Tower specified Qada was likely stealing forbidden spells from the Orthodoxy's records. At least he didn't get his hands on the Alchemical Life book.

Well, no. I'll not deny that, but--

Then let's not quibble over the venue, hmm? Now, I asked something of you. Let's see it.

What iz zis? Did you not call us here to discuss plans for ze next caper?

I considered it, sure. Security was lax at Orthodoxy headquarters, though. Nowadays, Eternian Central Command is iron tight.

Braev may not be the wisest ruler, but he's still better than the Orthodoxy.

...It's a low bar.

Braev: competent enough to put a lock on the door of the treasury, not competent enough to keep these three out of positions of authority despite persistent rumors of them being terrible from the start.

Bah, zat pigheaded templar! ...Well? What is it we're here to see, zen?

A new weapon that will deliver the duchy into our hands.

Oh?

Yes, the one that the good Dr. Qada has been working quite hard on. Explain to the chairman how your little toy works.

With pleasure! Now, this is an exceedingly simple explanation for you laymen, mind.

We've never seen these three interact together before, but they snipe at each other just as much as you'd expect. Too much ego for one prison cell to handle.

A pazo...what is it, you say? It has quite ze ominous ring to it.

A pathogen, created by the union of the common cold with venom extracted from a hell viper.

And the vaccine? I trust it's made, if you aim to use this stuff as a weapon.

Unfortunately, they still get along well enough to screw over everybody else.

Excellent. I'll have that prophylactic now. My men will need it before we loose your creation on the duchy. Meanwhile, you two will start work on crafting large quantities of the cure outside Eternia.

Ha ha! Say no more. Zen we sell it at a lovely premium through ze black market, yes?

Foolproof. There's no way this plan could ever go horrifically wrong for everyone involved.

Then, the chairman returns with a miraculous--and completely free--cure. You'll be Eternia's savior.

Me? Ze duchy's savior? Yes, I like zis plan! Heh hah hah!

And you, doctor, would have your choice. The hero responsible for the wonder cure, or--

Or the mad genius who created history's most diabolic weapon? Mm heh heh. How is a fellow to decide?

Provided this disease somehow manages to stay within their control, let's take bets on how long it'd be before these fellows decided to screw over their partners-in-crime.

Luckily, our intrepid team of peacemakers has just arrived.

Is zat not ze templar's daughter? Why has she come here?

What if she heard us? Measures would have to be taken.

And who would find her, here in an abandoned dungeon, deep underground? ...You're welcome.

Alright. Time to muzzle ze little pup!

Unfortunately, the party has a less than graceful entrance.

So much for cooly confronting these three about their plan.

Despite what you might think, DeRosa heals his companions. Other than that, they're a disorganized mess.

We're hunting down criminals plotting against the Duchy and just happen to run into the three worst people the party's met. Take a guess, Tiz.

Considering the place and present company, I'd say they were up to no good.

I agree. Ten-to-one they're plotting one dark deed or another.

Let's teach them a well-deserved lesson!

While this is satisfying after chapters of buildup...

No, please!

It's a shame the party didn't actually overhear the evil plan.

...But they do at least lock the door as they leave.

Still, knowing these guys, this is risky. If they pick or melt the lock, they're as good as free.

But just when all seems quiet, someone else approaches the cell...

I follow reports of a disturbance, and what do I find but three wanted men, tidily behind bars.

Wanted...?

Red Mage Fiore DeRosa, commander of the Bloodrose Legion, Third Division, Eternian Forces...

The Orthodoxy's Florem office filed charges, and many within your own ranks are backing them up.

Of all the improvements in this world, Einheria's may have had the most far-reaching effects.

Hopefully due to Einheria's interference this world didn't have the jail cell filled with drugged women.

...Ha ha ha. It's a real page-turner, eh?

Imbecile! You left written evidence of your crime!?

Erutus Profiteur, Chairman of Khamer & Profiteur Merchantry, Second Legion, Eternian Forces...

Your charges come from Prime Minister Dominus Harena of Ancheim. Quite the list, that. The investigation of your offices should be underway as we speak.

Good thing Profiteur keeps no written records of anything, definitely not letters detailing a water price-fixing scheme.

This begs the question of why Kamiizumi didn't do this earlier. Maybe he, like Einheria, stopped letting regret stand in the way of fixing things.

...and the manufacture of weapons of mass destruction.

You three have ignored the grand marshal's orders and hatched your own schemes long enough.

No, wait! Chairman Profiteur blackmailed me! I owe him a small fortune, and he--

This level of self-serving, short-sighted greed seems almost unreal.

I haven't seen such a cartoonish group of villains infighting like this since the last time I looked at the national headlines.

Why you--! Zis is slander most foul! I'll not even dignify zem with a response!

Alternis, my friend, could we not overlook zese minor transgressions? Come now, name your price!

You three can entertain one another here until the grand marshal passes sentence. Don't expect leniency.

Alternis locks them in the cell, hopefully emptying their pockets before he leaves.

And that's it. The evil Eternian plot has been stopped, thanks to the party (kind of, accidently) and Alternis.

From here, we don't need to waste much time. The earth crystal is awakened.

But I wanted to ask you something, Airy.

What, Tiz? The ritual was completed without a hitch, so...

Yes, I know. But I was wondering... How many crystals must we awaken? How many times must we enter the Holy Pillar? And how many worlds must we cross into? It seems never-ending.

I've already lost count, to be honest.

Oh, um, well--

The last crystal we awakened was the fifteenth.

We've entered the Holy Pillar three times now.

Since we first met...

...this marks the fourth world we have crossed into.

Oh... You people sure have good memories.

It's simply a matter of counting.

And believing that next time will be the one to end it all!

Yes. And Airy, I trust next time will be the one!

...Oh, yes, yes! Of course!

Right, one more. Sure.

...Before we head on to our undoubtedly glorious ending, let's stop by Grandship once again.

Praline's back to working at the pub.

Her fanbase is even larger and more rabid than last time.

Uh... Let's just go.

The party returns to Eisenberg for last crystal, stopping by Hartschild first to renew their supplies.

Yep, came to relieve Zatz.

Or...are you really here for Eisenberg's famous sausages and ham...

...all washed down with a hearty black beer?

Bah ha ha! You got me there!

You obviously know what's good, Ringabel. Care to join me?

Unfortunately, I've some business with Eleanor.

You don't say?

Yes, well you see, we picked up a heap of buckwheat seeds while we were in Florem. Figured buckwheat would be a perfect crop for the barren soil here. And it would help the food situation, too.

Ringabel, I'm so grateful you're so concerned for this land.

I'm blessed with wonderful friends!

If you need to thank someone, it should be Edea.

Edea?

She overheard the proprietress talking to herself.

What did she say?

Apparently she was mumbling something about taking Eisenberg's famous sausages... And wrapping it in a crepe made from Florem buckwheat to make a delicious galette saucisse.

Edea couldn't stop thinking about it after that, and invested in a heap of buckwheat seeds. She realized that buckwheat loses its flavor quickly, so she decided it would have to be grown locally.

Oh ho! She's got an amazing mind, that one!

That she does. But what do you expect from the only daughter of the duchy's grand marshal?

Several years from now, I'll wager Eisenberg will have one more famous dish to add to the list.

You're still here? Hurry up and deliver those seeds to Eleanor!

Yes, ma'am. ...Oh, and Datz?

Whatever you do, don't mention to her that it would've been easier to ship sausages to Florem.

Ah, heh heh... Thanks for the tip...

Ringabel's often surpassing Edea in maturity now. Edea's learned a lot, but still has her father's potent combo of singular focus/drive and lack of sense.

They head to the fire crystal afterwards, awakening it without incident.

That marks the sixteenth since we first began.

And once again, the Holy Pillar must have appeared in the south sea.

The fourth Holy Pillar...

Yes, and I hope this will be the last one! Right, Airy?

Yes...of course.

This time will be the one!

...I hope you're right.

Now, the only thing left is to deal with that problem once we get it back.

Once we get back? To Grandship?

What, is she in need of repair again?

Yes, there's that, but Datz and Zatz are handling the repairs. And I couldn't be happier with their work so far.

Then what problem are you talking about?

The proprietress...

You know, how to get her down to the hold when we enter the Holy Pillar.

Ah! That is a problem. A very difficult one, too.

I remember the fuss she made the last time.

Datz ended up having to pick her up and carry her down there. And just the other day, Datz and Zatz were debating something. I'm not sure what, but I'd wager it was about the proprietress.

I wonder what the plan is. Ooh, I can't wait to find out!

Ha ha, well then, I suppose the proprietress is in good hands.

That leaves us to head on into the Holy Pillar!

What are we waiting for?

[img]https://lpix.org/2703269/agnes_happy.png[img][/img] Let us go!

The party's trying their best to keep their spirits up.

But realistically speaking, how long can we keep going?

How many times do we have to do this? How many times do I have to do this?

Where are Datz and Zatz?

I had them take refuge in the hold.

Okay, everyone, don't forget to watch over me! This is going to work this time, you'll see!

Yes...of course.

The conversation is a shorter version of last chapter's.

At this point, what new is there to say?

Let's keep watch.

What!?

We should watch over Airy.

...Right.

The party can only watch, wait, and hope this pays off...

Next: The Eternians get to the point.

--

Event Viewer
Main Scenario:
Another Holy Pillar
Let's Keep Watch

Sub-Scenario:
Three Conspirators
Paying the Piper

Party Chat:
Next Time
Galette Saucisse
The Fourth Time

D's Journal: Profiteur, Merchant of Death posted:

In the fourth world, Chairman Profiteur, the red mage DeRosa, and the salve-maker Qada plotted to overthrow the duchy in the dungeon at Central Command. DeRosa would spread a pathogen crafted by Qada across the duchy and kill key figures, while Profiteur would emerge as a hero by distributing the vaccine for free. We bested them and locked them away, ending their scheme.

D's Journal: Fiore the Red Mage posted:

In the fourth world, DeRosa, Profiteur, and Qada were hatching a plot in the dungeon beneath Central Command. DeRosa intended to overthrow the duchy through cunning use of a pathogen developed by Qada. We gave them a thrashing and locked them away, leaving the scoundrels' fate in the duchy's hands.

D's Journal: Qada the Salve-Maker posted:

In the fourth world, we found Qada plotting to overthrow the duchy with DeRosa and Profiteur in the dungeon beneath Central Command. While he mulled over whether to go down in history as a villain who created the pathogen that threw the duchy into chaos, or the hero that developed the miracle cure, we crushed their evil aspirations and locked them away.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Much has been said about how the game drags on too long here, and I do agree, but I feel like a very easy fix to the script would be if they didn't spell out the Airy secret so soon, or if they had somebody more dubious or untrustworthy reveal her secret so it would be called into question. Like, instead of having the kindly sage basically spell things out for you in world 3, let the truth come from the vampire you hardly know, or from Braev, who shows some weird judgment in regard to the crystals and keeps a bunch of psychos on his payroll, so the characters (and maybe even the player) will doubt the truth. Maybe have Ringabel start getting suspicious of Airy but don't have give him straight up flashback scenes showing her being evil. I mean, no matter what, the whole thing of having an ending before the true ending means that the characters are gonna have to act dumb while the player knows the truth, but making things a little more ambiguous would make the story much better.

And, of course, you know, if they cut the world changes down to like 3.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How long does this world actually take to play through if you're reasonably well-prepared?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The party deciding "I don't know what you all are up to, but gently caress you three in particular" is the best and definitely understandable. :allears:

The Alternis follow-up is just icing on the cake.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

How long does this world actually take to play through if you're reasonably well-prepared?

Under 2 hours if you just light the dang crystals already! If you wait around and fight all the Eternians, it might take five hours or more. Who has time for that! You just need to light the crystals and go into the Pillar of Light. Didn't you say you'd keep going, until the very end?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

TwoPair posted:

Much has been said about how the game drags on too long here, and I do agree, but I feel like a very easy fix to the script would be if they didn't spell out the Airy secret so soon, or if they had somebody more dubious or untrustworthy reveal her secret so it would be called into question. Like, instead of having the kindly sage basically spell things out for you in world 3, let the truth come from the vampire you hardly know, or from Braev, who shows some weird judgment in regard to the crystals and keeps a bunch of psychos on his payroll, so the characters (and maybe even the player) will doubt the truth. Maybe have Ringabel start getting suspicious of Airy but don't have give him straight up flashback scenes showing her being evil. I mean, no matter what, the whole thing of having an ending before the true ending means that the characters are gonna have to act dumb while the player knows the truth, but making things a little more ambiguous would make the story much better.

And, of course, you know, if they cut the world changes down to like 3.

"yeah uh... you need to do it four times. Once for each crystal. that makes sense right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think the biggest factor of disappointment isn't so much the length, but the repetitiveness of the plot. Chapter 7 alleviated some problems by doing things a bit differently, but there's still the issue of:

- "Airy, it didn't work." "Oh, I'm sorry. I don't know what could have gone wrong. Well, go awaken the crystals again, haha."
- Fight all four crystal bosses again.
- If you decide to deal with the Eternians, they're dealt with in a fatal or non-fatal way.
- Go into the Holy Pillar.
- You go to another world, which may as well be a soft reboot of your progress.

All of that time you spent solving the problem with the Eternians? Means nothing now. All of those Crystal Bosses you just killed? Do it over!

The thing that bothers me about this is that I can't tell how I feel about Airy as a villain. The only reason the characters are going along with her plot isn't because she's a master manipulator. It's because... uh...

Do we even have a reason why they're letting this happen? I guess they read the script and know that the other ending route is a dead end somehow.