Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Big Marines best Marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

Was putting together intercessors this week. Spent like an hour trying to figure out what the heck to do with that right arm.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

10th Lieutenant found.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Big Marines best Marines.

where's the button that deletes your account

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018

ZachAttack posted:

Was putting together intercessors this week. Spent like an hour trying to figure out what the heck to do with that right arm.

Pretty sure that arm has a little grill in the wrist that I assume is a communicator of some sort. So you’d stick it on your sergeant to pose him giving orders. Though they’re supposed to talk over a helmet channel so I guess it’s for chatting with outside forces not worthy of their primaris commlinks? Like some conscripts that they brought along to carry all the command points.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You belong in prison.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Badablack posted:

Pretty sure that arm has a little grill in the wrist that I assume is a communicator of some sort. So you’d stick it on your sergeant to pose him giving orders. Though they’re supposed to talk over a helmet channel so I guess it’s for chatting with outside forces not worthy of their primaris commlinks? Like some conscripts that they brought along to carry all the command points.

Primaris armour has a small supply of jerky stored in a compartment in the arm, Sarge is just going in for a bite

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007
So I just got into Warhammer by the way of my best-friend giving me like 300 bucks worth of miniatures and paint for my birthday. I played Kill Team with him and 2 other friends and I was hooked, but I'm a lovely wage slave and don't have that much expendable cash.

He got me a First Strike kit that's half Death Guard and half Space Marines, a Plague Surgeon, another set of 7 Death Guard Plague Marines and then like another $150 on paints, brushes and the lil citadel handguard to hold my dudes in place while I paint them. I spent another 30 bucks to buy fine clippers, an E-Xacto set, detail files, and even then I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Now I'm at the point where I'm supposed to paint them and I'm loving clueless. My mom is a nationally known folk painter but I never learned poo poo from her. Now she travels for work, up to a year at a time.

I've tried watching the tutorials but they rush through poo poo or assume you have a full pallet of paint. I'm contemplating waiting til my mom gets home to teach me, or are there some painters who show you how to do with what you have?

Speaking of, I basically have the entire spectrum of colors in Delta Ceramcoat, other than metallics. Should I bother with getting the Citadel colors if I don't give a poo poo about exact color replication?

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm a mod here now. I will respond promptly to reports.

Hurt feelings are not sufficient to warrant a probation.

May your tyranny be harsh but fair.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aleth posted:

May your tyranny be harsh but fair.

I feel like the Ordo Hereticus strike a good balance.

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!

DiggityDoink posted:

I've tried watching the tutorials but they rush through poo poo or assume you have a full pallet of paint. I'm contemplating waiting til my mom gets home to teach me, or are there some painters who show you how to do with what you have?

Speaking of, I basically have the entire spectrum of colors in Delta Ceramcoat, other than metallics. Should I bother with getting the Citadel colors if I don't give a poo poo about exact color replication?

Grab a can of primer if you were not gifted one, preferably grey/black, learn what "thin your paints" means and then just dive in painting them however you think looks cool with what you have, you'll learn way more putting brush to model as a beginner than any number of tutorials.

A set of basecoats and a quick ink wash will have your guys looking table ready and you can learn highlighting and other advanced techniques when you've gotten some more confidence as a painter.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

DiggityDoink posted:

So I just got into Warhammer by the way of my best-friend giving me like 300 bucks worth of miniatures and paint for my birthday. I played Kill Team with him and 2 other friends and I was hooked, but I'm a lovely wage slave and don't have that much expendable cash.

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Grab a can of primer if you were not gifted one, preferably grey/black, learn what "thin your paints" means and then just dive in painting them however you think looks cool with what you have, you'll learn way more putting brush to model as a beginner than any number of tutorials.

Spraying primer is absolutely the better choice - assuming that you live somewhere where you can go outside and do it this time of year. If that's not an option for you, hobby stores do have primers that can be painted on. It's not as good, but a much better choice than either going without a primer or waiting 6 months to paint.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

DiggityDoink posted:

General craft acrylics aren't great for use on miniatures. They don't take as well to thinning down to the levels you want for not clogging details or thinning even further for glazes and the like. They are decent for terrain by virtue of being cheap. I do have some I've found that make decent coverage basecoats for red and yellow (using off-white) that usually are troublesome.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

DiggityDoink posted:

The Warhammer TV Channel is great for basic tutorials that are pretty easy to follow. Search for "space marine" or "power armour" and you'll find a bunch of guides for different chapters.

Seconding TM's advice: It's real easy to get overwhelmed by tutorials and possibilities without ever putting your brush to a mini. Nothing beats experience. Just jump in, gently caress around, get a feel for it and accept that your first few goes aren't gonna be the greatest. You can't ruin the minis. If you're that unhappy you can always strip and start over, but I really recommend seeing it through.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Maneck posted:

Spraying primer is absolutely the better choice - assuming that you live somewhere where you can go outside and do it this time of year. If that's not an option for you, hobby stores do have primers that can be painted on. It's not as good, but a much better choice than either going without a primer or waiting 6 months to paint.

For whatever it's worth, I primed my Foul Blightspawn the other night when it was low-40s and flurries were coming down, and he came out fine. Went outside, sprayed, brought him back inside, no issues.

Also yeah, you need maybe half the paint a tutorial shows you to be table ready. I painted my Plague Marines with:

Death Guard Green Spray (primer and base in one step! Highly recommend going this route it makes life absurdly easy)
Leadbelcher
Balthasar Gold
Rakarth Flesh
Matt Black
Screamer Pink
Agrax Earthshade

Like I said, table ready and they've actually gotten compliments from other players. Buy this and see if there's a paint kit for whatever faction you picked and you're good to go.

EDIT: Also you can really go to town with the earthshade on Death Guard, they're supposed to be gross and dingy.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 11, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you must, use a can that's at room temperature, did it quickly on a mini also at room temperature, and then immediately bring it back inside to a well ventilated area to dry.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
I primed my teeny tiny Cerastus knights at the weekend, and tripped over my stupid self walking back into the house. The box lid I was holding tipped, sending a couple of the still-tacky knights hurtling into a corner to be covered in cobwebs and cat hair.

Always shave your models being painting, guys.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
I live in north Dakota. I spray primed last week at about 10 above. I've primed in -10, 25 and snowing, and 90+ with 80% humidity.

Bring your model back inside if the weather is really cold or humid but otherwise go nuts.

Maybe if it's some super special model I'd wait for good conditions but if its roughriders 11-15 gently caress it

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DiggityDoink posted:

He got me a First Strike kit that's half Death Guard and half Space Marines, a Plague Surgeon, another set of 7 Death Guard Plague Marines and then like another $150 on paints, brushes and the lil citadel handguard to hold my dudes in place while I paint them. I spent another 30 bucks to buy fine clippers, an E-Xacto set, detail files, and even then I'm wondering what I'm missing.

Now I'm at the point where I'm supposed to paint them and I'm loving clueless. My mom is a nationally known folk painter but I never learned poo poo from her. Now she travels for work, up to a year at a time.

Watch Duncan's videos on the warhammer tv channel.

Badically, its not as hard as it seams.

Pick like 2-4 colors total to start with as your palette.

Base coat / prime the model with a rattlecan. This is important. Do not skip. Spray guarantees a thin even coating and you need a good base coat to get started.

Then use your brush to add layers of color. Work inside out, first with the most common color. WATER DOWN YOUR PAINTS. Do not paint from the paint pots or your model will be ugly and you'll feel bad and blame your lack of skill, but watering down paint is easy. Use a palette and mix with some water. Paint two thin coats of watered down paint. Let it dry. Repeat for other colors.

Now you have a model painted with different colors in distinct areas and its not so thick that you can't see any detail. But its kinda plain. Could stop here, buuuut:

Last step, get some nuln oil (or another wash color) and do a wash on the model. Let the wash run over the cracks, its really runny. Don't pool it up too much though, brush an even coat.

Once the wash dries, the model will have dynamic shading, even though you have no art skills! Its basically cheating.

Do all that and you'll be amazed what you're capable of doing with zero art talent.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
Anyone know what the Alpha Legion alpha-omega icon on the Forgeworld Transfer Sheet is supposed to represent? I've not seen that icon used for AL before.

Or is it just Alpharius/Omegon heraldry?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

DiggityDoink posted:

Pick a test model to be your first victim. Hold your brush like a pencil; I usually draw the brush along at a diagonal. Watch how brushstrokes go on in some tutorial vids like Duncan's on Warhammer TV. My first models were trash-garbage but I did OK thereafter. The important thing is to relax and have fun!

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Only downside of the Warhammer TV videos is they're frequently limited to 'basecoat, cover with color shade, touch up, add highlights' which, to be fair, isn't bad for starting out to get to tabletop standard but gets kind of repetitive to learn from. Some of their longer videos where they cover painting a whole model go into a few other techniques.

Privateer Press's P3 Presents covers a bit more ground. And there's Vince's Hobby Cheating once you get the basics down.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Anyone know what the Alpha Legion alpha-omega icon on the Forgeworld Transfer Sheet is supposed to represent? I've not seen that icon used for AL before.

Or is it just Alpharius/Omegon heraldry?

The Alpha Omega symbol was mostly a pre-Heresy thing then post heresy they started using the Hydra or occasionally the chained Alpha Omega. Alpha Legion being Alpha Legion, all of those still get used inconsistently.

It represents they are the final (Omega) Legion but named as the first (Alpha)

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 11, 2018

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Alpha Legion being Alpha Legion, all of those still get used inconsistently.

Actually this is less of an Alpha Legion issue and more a "GW writers and artists and designers" problem.

I've found tons of markings/heraldry/whatever stuff wildly inconsistent.

Ask me about the Palatine Aquila.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Tell me about the Palatine Aquila

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
Break down the Aquila for me :allears:

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Corrode posted:

Tell me about the Palatine Aquila

Ghazk posted:

Break down the Aquila for me :allears:

THE STORY SO FAR...

Apparently the Palatine Aquila is a distinct symbol from the 'regular' Aquila. It is also distinct from the Legion badge that is inspired BY the palatine aquila.

To date there is no official art or description of what ACTUALLY makes the palatine aquila different from the regular one. By all accounts, it's a double headed eagle with two wings. There is 6-7 different versions of it spread across emperor's children legionary models with no real consistency. Couple this with the 'regular' aquila also being slightly different in some cases with artistic license. The palatine aquila usually has talons added, but then the regular aquila during heresy era also has talons sometimes.

The only thing extremely clear in the lore is that the emperor specifically granted ONLY emperor's children to bear the palatine aquila on the chest of power armor.

To this end, I have declared all heresy era aquilas are palatine aquilas as they are indistinguishable, and thus all heresy era aquilas on chests that are not on emperor's children models are ILLEGAL.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

:psyduck:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Woo I entered the spikey bits uses your models without permission club. At least I got attributed I guess?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Can you file a takedown on them? gently caress spikey bits imo.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

So I bought a finecast nurgle daemon prince, how bad could it be I said, I can fill a gap or two I said. Wrong, dipshit. The two halves of the torso are so out of alignment and leave absurd gaps, the misalignment means the left arm simply doesnt even come close to fitting. I found this out after cleaning every part up ready for building.

Finecast...is bad?!

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Woo I entered the spikey bits uses your models without permission club. At least I got attributed I guess?

Tell them to take it down, and if they don't file a dmca takedown. gently caress spikey bits.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

which model?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Zuul the Cat posted:

which model?

This guy

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

That is an amazing paint job

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Wizard posted:

That is an amazing paint job

Thanks. I asked Rob to take it down and he seemed amenable to that, so we're probably good.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I have engaged in some horse-trading with a guy at my FLGS for some Mark IV space marine bits. Which means, between those, a box of devastators and various duplicate space Marine Heroes (the ever-ubiquitous Brother Titus has been helpful), I can make a fair few options for my Devastator squads. I should beable to make marines with every weapon option in the box, (so, two of eveything), with some extra heavy bolters and a lot of missile launchers.

I'm wonder if people have recommendation for how to best utilise these. Are squads of all-Heavy Bolter or Missile Launchers viable? I'm planning to use them as part of a Celestial Lions detachment, (so they'd be using the Imperial Fists chapter Tactic), or potentially having some as Raptors in an allied detachment to be infilitrating with Lias Issodon (who'd have the Raven Guard tactic). Or a mix between the two.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I have engaged in some horse-trading with a guy at my FLGS for some Mark IV space marine bits. Which means, between those, a box of devastators and various duplicate space Marine Heroes (the ever-ubiquitous Brother Titus has been helpful), I can make a fair few options for my Devastator squads. I should beable to make marines with every weapon option in the box, (so, two of eveything), with some extra heavy bolters and a lot of missile launchers.

I'm wonder if people have recommendation for how to best utilise these. Are squads of all-Heavy Bolter or Missile Launchers viable? I'm planning to use them as part of a Celestial Lions detachment, (so they'd be using the Imperial Fists chapter Tactic), or potentially having some as Raptors in an allied detachment to be infilitrating with Lias Issodon (who'd have the Raven Guard tactic). Or a mix between the two.

MKIV marines?

Which legion are you doing? Your best bet is really to just switch to 30k right now.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

I've been enjoying 5 man squads with a plain sgt, 2 Heavy Bolters, a missile launcher, a lascannon, and an armorium cherub. The missile launcher is there to take advantage of flack missiles, the heavy boltera are just decent for their price and can use hellfire rounds, and the lascannon takes pot shots at armor. Split fire this edition let's you mix and match a bit more than previously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
how many beaky boy helmets do space marine sprues have on em?