Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

BardoTheConsumer posted:

My problem with this is that by this logic Russia or the US should have nuked the other immediately upon discovering the technology to do so. It doesnt make sense to fire a KKV at every random civilization you see just because they could theoretically do the same to you, and for proof of that look no further than the idea that our particular species (mostly) finds that idea repugnant.

We've come really close, and it's only been a few decades with people we could literally pick the phone up and talk to. How's it gonna go down with things we maybe can't even begin to communicate with, who might already have have launched their kill missiles, and all we can tell from where we are is that they could do it. And that situation goes on for millions of years without anyone doing something aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

my dad posted:

1) is false. Sending something across interstellar distances is insanely expensive, and doing so accurately is even harder.

Why would sending something across interstellar distances be insanely expensive? We've already launched objects that will cross interstellar space. A large rock would survive the trip just fine, and we know for a fact that they do it all the time.

quote:

2) I have no idea about. Like, it'd be pretty hard to tell the difference between a random rock, a spaceship, and a KKV, but something sufficiently large coming at you at 0.6c would probably stand out quite a bit.

I don't get what you're saying here. There is no difference between these things. Anything with mass moving at speed is a KKV. The thing coming at us could just be a rock that's not moving all that fast, and we miss those until they're right on top of us all the time. The whole point is that you don't really need something moving at any significant fraction of c to wreck a civilization.

quote:

3) is false, because it is extremely hard to confirm that you actually completely destroyed your targets considering the timespans and distances involved.

You can't confirm it, but if you send a bunch of rocks that you are reasonably sure will hit then you probably don't have to worry too much.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Also nuking the hell out of most of Eurasia would negatively affect us as well because we ya know share a biosphere, the same issue doesn't apply to one-shotting a planet thousands of light years away

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The good news is space rock launches from Over There don't really work as a weapon because the target can see them coming too far away and if they have a similar tech curve to us and are smart enough they'll destroy the rocks, go dark and then quietly go after the source for the next ten thousand years.

The bad news is space rock launches from Over Here in the Oort Cloud or other-solar equivalent do work much faster and spotting a miniature robot probe of the minimum size required to nudge an asteroid is a lot harder than spotting the asteroid.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Literally every single person you walk past could suddenly pull out a knife and stab you to death, and you could do the same to them. What is preventing this from happening? (goon answer: living in a basement and never going out :v: )

Paradoxish posted:

Why would sending something across interstellar distances be insanely expensive? We've already launched objects that will cross interstellar space. A large rock would survive the trip just fine, and we know for a fact that they do it all the time.

I don't get what you're saying here. There is no difference between these things. Anything with mass moving at speed is a KKV. The thing coming at us could just be a rock that's not moving all that fast, and we miss those until they're right on top of us all the time. The whole point is that you don't really need something moving at any significant fraction of c to wreck a civilization.

You can't confirm it, but if you send a bunch of rocks that you are reasonably sure will hit then you probably don't have to worry too much.

To eradicate a civilization, you need to wipe it out before it can establish working space habitats. For this to happen, you need to act reeeeeally fast. Aliens would need to see us, recognize us, and kill us before this. Unless they are literally in our immediatte neighborhood, it would take hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands of years for information about our existence to reach them, and their answer, whatever form it could take, will take AT LEAST that much time to reach us. You could send something going as ridiculously slowly as the Voyager probes, but the timespans involved are utterly insane. You need something going close to C to even have a hope of doing damage.

And it's been less than a century since the first space flight, and we've landed poo poo on Mars.

Besides, the foul xeno may or may not see you as an existential threat, but trying to kill them and failing, which the attempt probably would, guarantees they will see you as an existential threat. Civilizations aren't individuals. There's no "headshot" unless you can blow up their star somehow, and that's where we start talking about space magic.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

VitalSigns posted:

Ok but the point was how plausible various explanations for the Fermi paradox are, so if we start with "well assuming a completely implausible thing that could never exist existed, then there's no problem" well ok but my point is that it's implausible in the first place. There's no way for something to evolve to be a space wolf because the environment they evolved in on any planet would be entirely unlike what they'd need to be space predators.

I don't know who you are disagreeing with? There would never be space wolves.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

my dad posted:

Literally every single person you walk past could suddenly pull out a knife and stab you to death, and you could do the same to them. What is preventing this from happening? (goon answer: living in a basement and never going out :v: )

Like I said, I don't really buy into this theory all that much so I'm not going to go too much farther defending it, but this isn't at all a comparable scenario either. For this to work you'd need a button that could kill anyone that you look at it, but also you know they have the same button. Assuming that this actually leads to peaceful outcomes is a little bit too much like the argument that an armed society leads to a polite society. Eventually people who aren't bloodthirsty monsters are going to start pushing those buttons just because they're scared.

quote:

To eradicate a civilization, you need to wipe it out before it can establish working space habitats. For this to happen, you need to act reeeeeally fast. Aliens would need to see us, recognize us, and kill us before this. Unless they are literally in our immediatte neighborhood, it would take hundreds, thousands, hundreds of thousands of years for information about our existence to reach them, and their answer, whatever form it could take, will take AT LEAST that much time to reach us. You could send something going as ridiculously slowly as the Voyager probes, but the timespans involved are utterly insane. You need something going close to C to even have a hope of doing damage.

Nothing about this scenario really makes sense unless we assume that they're relatively close and civilizations are fairly common, though. You basically have to take that as a given when talking about any Fermi paradox solution that isn't just "the great filter is way behind us and we don't see anyone because civilizations are ridiculously rare." No one is going to be flinging anything at us from halfway across the galaxy. The "solution" is that if any two civilizations are close to each other they either blow each other up or stay really quiet to avoid attracting attention.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Paradoxish posted:

Nothing about this scenario really makes sense unless we assume that they're relatively close and civilizations are fairly common, though. You basically have to take that as a given when talking about any Fermi paradox solution that isn't just "the great filter is way behind us and we don't see anyone because civilizations are ridiculously rare." No one is going to be flinging anything at us from halfway across the galaxy. The "solution" is that if any two civilizations are close to each other they either blow each other up or stay really quiet to avoid attracting attention.

Right, that's kind of why I think it might be nonsense. It seems like human-level intelligence requires a sort of runaway intelligence effect that isnt really evolutionarily viable under most circumstances and isnt Normally selected for, so I posit that the development of the sort of runaway intelligence Humans have is the great filter.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
The evolution of a species that expends literally astronomical amounts of energy to chase after every threat it percieves is insane.

Like, how would they not starve to death chasing after fireflies in their prehistory

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe all of the asteroids that caused extinction events on Earth were launched by aliens trying to prevent intelligent life from emerging on Earth :tinfoil:

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Paradoxish posted:

Like I said, I don't really buy into this theory all that much so I'm not going to go too much farther defending it, but this isn't at all a comparable scenario either. For this to work you'd need a button that could kill anyone that you look at it, but also you know they have the same button. Assuming that this actually leads to peaceful outcomes is a little bit too much like the argument that an armed society leads to a polite society. Eventually people who aren't bloodthirsty monsters are going to start pushing those buttons just because they're scared.

Buttons seem cumbersome, maybe a trigger of some sort? Assuming someone is going to kill you because they can't be sure you won't kill them is loving dumb as hell and I posit that societies that think that wouldn't get very far.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

qkkl posted:

Maybe all of the asteroids that caused extinction events on Earth were launched by aliens trying to prevent intelligent life from emerging on Earth :tinfoil:

What if we come from some blue guy who drank some weird poo poo and dissolved into a waterfall?

Edit: Actually, any press release about UFOs since we found out they are real?

drilldo squirt fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 11, 2018

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

DrSunshine posted:

This is a really excellent, interesting and informative post!! Thanks so much for making this, LtStorm. Everything until now I had read about Silicon biochemistry seemed to indicate it was not likely to be possible because of something involving silicon compounds being more fragile or less flexible than Carbon ones (If I recall correctly?), but coming from an actual chemist, that really is informative and opens up the possibilities for speculation much more widely.

A lot of discussions on silicon biochemistry seem to fixate on what silicon can do compared to carbon under the conditions we like to live under. If you are trying to build molecules using silicon the same way you would build a molecule with carbon, you're almost assuredly going to end up with a fragile, easily broken down molecule. That definitely doesn't mean silicon is fragile, and it doesn't necessarily mean silicon isn't flexible. We're still learning what silicon can do as far as building macromolecules goes.

Bug Squash posted:

Re: Silicon based life

I'm not a chemist, but my understanding is that silicon is only able to form complex bonds at extremely low temperatures, like around 100 Kelvin. The popular idea is lava monsters because of our association of silicon with rock, but in reality any silicon based life would be out in the iceballs of the oort or plutoids, living very slowly.

I assume you mean "complex molecules" rather than "complex bonds"?

I've seen ideas about silicon-based life dwelling at temperatures much colder than we like--in addition to the ideas about it existing at hotter temperatures. Really the thrust of that discussion is that silicon-based life probably wouldn't live under the same conditions as us--under our conditions carbon is clearly winning with silicon relegated to a micronutrient in our bodies. If you make things much hotter or colder you're going to suddenly make different molecules (based on silicon or carbon) possible or impossible. So there are complex silicon molecules that would surely be stable only at low temperatures, but there are also complex silicon molecules made more stable by a highly acidic and hot environment.

We do know of some complex silicon-based macromolecules currently. Silicone, which as I mentioned before, is roughly equal parts silicon and oxygen and is a very heat stable rubber. Silicones, as made for commercial use, are long chains of alternating silicon and oxygen with other groups of atoms sticking off the sides of the chain to control the physical properties of the bulk material rather than making the individual chains particularly complex.

If you want a silicon-based macromolecule that isn't in the form of a long chain, you can look to silsesquioxanes. Silsesquioxanes are cages of silicon and oxygen that can be built in different sizes and levels of completion as well as being able to polymerize and, most importantly, can have other molecules attached to them at multiple places on the cage. Silicone and silsesquioxanes more or less represent the most well studied macromolecules based on silicon right now. There is a plethora of other polymers out there that use silicon, but they tend to be much simpler networks of silicon and oxygen atoms bonded together with few to now modifications with other atoms or molecules.

Science hasn't yet built any silicon-based macromolecules as complex as the proteins in our bodies, but then again, it hasn't managed to build any carbon-based macromolecules that complex either. Not without hijacking the cellular machinery of microbes to do so, at least. The only way to find out for sure how complex silicon-based macromolecules can get is to continue doing research!

VitalSigns posted:

Well I'm glad someone out there didn't drop out of chemistry as soon as it got hard, unlike me (great post!)

I'm curious what point you consider to be when it got hard!

How Disgusting
Feb 21, 2018

LtStorm posted:

A lot of discussions on silicon biochemistry seem to fixate on what silicon can do compared to carbon under the conditions we like to live under. If you are trying to build molecules using silicon the same way you would build a molecule with carbon, you're almost assuredly going to end up with a fragile, easily broken down molecule. That definitely doesn't mean silicon is fragile, and it doesn't necessarily mean silicon isn't flexible. We're still learning what silicon can do as far as building macromolecules goes.

I assume you mean "complex molecules" rather than "complex bonds"?

I've seen ideas about silicon-based life dwelling at temperatures much colder than we like--in addition to the ideas about it existing at hotter temperatures. Really the thrust of that discussion is that silicon-based life probably wouldn't live under the same conditions as us--under our conditions carbon is clearly winning with silicon relegated to a micronutrient in our bodies. If you make things much hotter or colder you're going to suddenly make different molecules (based on silicon or carbon) possible or impossible. So there are complex silicon molecules that would surely be stable only at low temperatures, but there are also complex silicon molecules made more stable by a highly acidic and hot environment.

We do know of some complex silicon-based macromolecules currently. Silicone, which as I mentioned before, is roughly equal parts silicon and oxygen and is a very heat stable rubber. Silicones, as made for commercial use, are long chains of alternating silicon and oxygen with other groups of atoms sticking off the sides of the chain to control the physical properties of the bulk material rather than making the individual chains particularly complex.

If you want a silicon-based macromolecule that isn't in the form of a long chain, you can look to silsesquioxanes. Silsesquioxanes are cages of silicon and oxygen that can be built in different sizes and levels of completion as well as being able to polymerize and, most importantly, can have other molecules attached to them at multiple places on the cage. Silicone and silsesquioxanes more or less represent the most well studied macromolecules based on silicon right now. There is a plethora of other polymers out there that use silicon, but they tend to be much simpler networks of silicon and oxygen atoms bonded together with few to now modifications with other atoms or molecules.

Science hasn't yet built any silicon-based macromolecules as complex as the proteins in our bodies, but then again, it hasn't managed to build any carbon-based macromolecules that complex either. Not without hijacking the cellular machinery of microbes to do so, at least. The only way to find out for sure how complex silicon-based macromolecules can get is to continue doing research!

I'm curious what point you consider to be when it got hard!

I'm interested in super-rubber for high-performance hydraulics and engines. Would also lead to a lot of materials for making lightweight spacesuits. Let these guys have all the funding they want.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
On the same note, with respect to the recent discovery that the Earth's crust is actually teeming with organisms, I wonder if it could be possible that there might be silicon-based life living deep within the Earth's mantle, or in a place like the surface of Venus?

quote:

The Earth is far more alive than previously thought, according to “deep life” studies that reveal a rich ecosystem beneath our feet that is almost twice the size of all the world’s oceans.

Despite extreme heat, no light, minuscule nutrition and intense pressure, scientists estimate this subterranean biosphere is teeming with between 15bn and 23bn tonnes of micro-organisms, hundreds of times the combined weight of every human on the planet.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

my dad posted:

Besides, the foul xeno may or may not see you as an existential threat, but trying to kill them and failing, which the attempt probably would, guarantees they will see you as an existential threat. Civilizations aren't individuals. There's no "headshot" unless you can blow up their star somehow, and that's where we start talking about space magic.

This is an interesting thought and makes me think of that one SCP where we accidentally genocide an alien species by accidental contamination with microbes. We then try and help and accidentally sterilize the whole species because we don't completely understand their biology. This then causes them to try to exterminate humanity with a variety of different mechanisms.

Maybe the reason no one talks to each other is because everyone's afraid of visitors coming and giving everyone Space AIDS? Even if that's not the case, I think things could very quickly go south when it comes to inter-species relations because of how alien we will be to each other. We struggle today with inter-cultural dialog and understanding, it's going to be much more difficult communicating with an entity/group where we have nothing in common.

Here's the relevant excerpt, it makes for a good little short story.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1322

quote:

08.1952 Anomaly discovered.

09.1952 Foundation obtains custody over SCP-1322. Containment chamber constructed (see Document 1322.v.SRD3006 for plans and technical specifications).

10.1952 Metallic cylinder emerges through anomaly. Cylinder is retrieved and subjected to quarantine and sterilization. Following clearance, cylinder is examined and found to be hollow, with screw cap. Cylinder contains triangular sheets of paper-like substance, upon which glyphs are inscribed. Artifact referred to Linguistics Unit.

11.1952 Experimentation with SCP-1322 progresses, including introduction of various (string-tethered) objects through anomaly. Samples taken of atmosphere in SCP-1322-A space; found to resemble Earth atmosphere but with a higher concentration of argon.

12.1952 Several additional cylinders, containing documents, emerge through SCP-1322 and, after quarantine, are subjected to analysis.

07.1953 Linguistics and mathematics personnel report breakthrough in analysis of documents obtained from SCP-1322-A. Message on glyphs interpreted as representations of geometric principles and texts apparently composed with a deliberate purpose of establishing cordial contact with the discoverers of the message. Linguistics Unit composes reply message using same writing system, prints same on paper, places paper in a metal cylinder of Foundation manufacture but resembling those used by SCP-1322-A culture and inserts cylinder into anomaly.

09.1953 Light activated on "far side" of anomaly. Close observation of anomaly indicates that "far side" of anomaly is located in what appears to be an artificially-constructed containment chamber, broadly similar to that constructed by Foundation for containment of anomaly.

10.1953 Approx. start date of extensive communication with SCP-1322-A civilization. Communication initially consists of reciprocal delivery of text messages on paper, first in glyphic system in which initial messages were composed (which is determined to be a simplified form of the standard written language of the SCP-1322-A civilization), and subsequently in a mutually-developed blend of said glyphic system and English. Communication accelerated when SCP-1322-A civilization proposes the construction of a telegraphic system involving a specially-shielded cable traversing the anomaly, with reciprocal equipment for the encoding and decoding of communications on both ends.

11.1953 Communications with SCP-1322-A civilization indicates that the civilization is composed of Homo sapiens (or a species not meaningfully different therefrom). Organization with whom communication has been established is a scientific institute associated with the polity comprising the geographic area surrounding the SCP-1322-A-side location of the anomaly (approximately analogous to a nation-state). Details of political organization and technologies of the SCP-1322-A civilization are disclosed. SCP-1322-A civilization has attained an advanced degree of technological and engineering sophistication, particularly in the fields of mathematics and high-energy physics in which that civilization's achievements surpass those of Earth (viz. the creation of the anomaly as an unintended consequence of an experiment to investigate the properties of quantum foam), but with less sophistication in biological science. SCP-1322-A civilization expresses strong interest in sharing samples of music, visual arts, literature (particularly metered poetry in various languages, with a particular interest in Indic and Sinic cultures) and mathematics, but no interest in medicine or religion. Reciprocal deliveries of data from SCP-1322-A civilization are archived and undergo analysis.

01.1962 SCP-1322-A civilization provides detailed log of astronomical observations and suggests that Foundation reciprocate. Analysis of provided data by Foundation's researchers suggests strong probability that there is no position within our observable universe that can correlate to the provided data. Foundation personnel assemble data file for delivery to SCP-1322-A; data is altered at direction of Site-122 administrator citing security concerns. Within 9 hours following delivery of data file, SCP-1322-A civilization identifies the false information and suggests that Foundation personnel proceed with more candor in the interest of mutual scientific and cultural development. Suggestion forwarded to O-5 for consideration.

11.1972 Telegraphic cable through SCP-1322 temporarily disconnected and withdrawn into containment chamber for routine maintenance. Following maintenance, SCP-1322-A cable end is re-inserted into SCP-1322 where SCP-1322-A personnel re-connect it to equipment on their side.

12.1972 Communication received from SCP-1322-A, indicating that a temporary degradation in the customary response time to signals from Foundation would be experienced due to personnel shortages on SCP-1322-A side. In response to a query, message sent by SCP-1322-A side indicating that the organization having custody of their side of SCP-1322 is experiencing a higher-than-normal incidence of personnel illness resulting in absenteeism.

01.1973 Message sent by SCP-1322-A side reporting that its personnel situation is back to normal, but that illness is becoming widespread in the geographic area of the SCP-1322-A facility.

03.1973 Message sent by SCP-1322-A side indicating that local government is imposing quarantine measures in an effort to arrest spread of what is evidently a viral outbreak on their side. In response to a Foundation offer to render assistance, SCP-1322-A civilization delivers data package containing pathology data.

04.1973 After appropriate quarantine measures are taken at Site-122, Foundation requests that SCP-1322-A civilization deliver a sample of the virus. Sample is delivered through SCP-1322 in appropriately shielded ampule, which is then secured and analyzed subject to Class V Contagious Disease Protocol (see document ref 033234098). Upon analysis, virus found to be a harmless flu variant. Foundation researchers send analysis data to SCP-1322-A, together with suggestions on synthesizing a vaccine and administering inoculation protocols.

06.1973 SCP-1322-A reports at least 8 million worldwide casualties attributable to virus (approximately 0.091% of their global population), and that Foundation-developed vaccine has been distributed and administered on widespread basis.

08.1973 SCP-1322-A reports that spread of virus appears to have been arrested and that the number of new incidents of illness from the virus is dramatically decreasing.

10.1973 SCP-1322-A reports worldwide inoculation against the virus.

12.1973 In the course of normal communications, SCP-1322-A reports an unexpected decrease in new pregnancies.

05.1974 SCP-1322-A reports a dramatic drop in birth rate.

08.1974 SCP-1322-A reports that its analysis indicates that decreases in fertility appear to be a side effect of the Foundation-provided vaccine.

01.1975 SCP-1322-A reports widespread social disorder attributable to fertility issues and corresponding stresses on family life. In response to Foundation offer of assistance, message received stating “NO THANK YOU. YOU HAVE DONE ENOUGH”

05.1975 Change in management structure of SCP-1322-A organization with custody of their side of SCP-1322. Communications received from their side are frequently belligerent and accusatory in tone.

07.1975 SCP-1322-A organization unilaterally discontinues communications dealing with scientific and cultural exchange.

09.1975 SCP-1322-A organization reports massive, ongoing worldwide upheaval attributable to drop in fertility. Message received indicating fewer than 1,000 live births reported globally in the past 72 days.

10.1975 Last communication received from SCP-1322-A. Communication consisted of text reading “YOU KILLED US. YOU DID THIS TO US. IN YOUR CARELESSNESS AND YOUR ARROGANCE YOU HAVE DESTROYED OUR POSTERITY. BUT WE SHALL AVENGE. WE OF THE LAST GENERATION PLEDGE AND VOW THIS. WE WILL FIND A WAY."

12.1976 Monitors in SCP-1322 containment chamber indicate that various pathogens have been introduced into the containment chamber from the SCP-1322-A side but have been isolated and destroyed.

01.1977 High-energy particle beam fired through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side, damaging Site-122 containment chamber. Damage is promptly repaired.

03.1984 High-energy beam of coherent radiant energy fired through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side, immediately followed by the insertion of various pathogens through SCP-1322. Damage from beam repaired and pathogens isolated and destroyed.

08.1984 Directed energy weapon fired through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side, immediately followed by the insertion of various pathogens through SCP-1322. Damage from weapon repaired and pathogens isolated and destroyed.

04.1991 Beam weapon fired through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side, immediately followed by the insertion of various pathogens through SCP-1322. Damage from beam repaired and pathogens isolated and destroyed.

06.1991 At direction of Site-122 administrator, Foundation fills containment chamber of SCP-1322 with quick-setting hardened ceramic.

07.1991 Ceramic dissolved by means of unknown solvent introduced through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side.

09.1992 High-energy particle beam fired through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side, immediately followed by the insertion of nanobots through SCP-1322. Damage from beam repaired and nanobots isolated and destroyed.

10.1992 Large numbers of nanobots inserted through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side over a long and continuous period. Damage to containment chamber from nanobots repaired, and nanobots destroyed.

01.1994 Iron rod, at least 8 kg in mass, fired through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side at velocity estimated at 200 km/sec., immediately followed by the insertion of nanobots through SCP-1322. Damage from rod repaired and nanobots isolated and destroyed.

12.1994 Beam of coherent radiant energy fired through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side for over 108 continuous days. Total energy of beam over that period estimated at over 1033 eV. Site-122 extensively damaged, but pathogens and nanobots introduced through SCP-1322 after cessation of particle beam are successfully contained.

03.1995 Device inserted into chamber through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side. Device is activated and, over a 40-minute period, heats the atmosphere within the containment chamber into a superheated plasma, which damages containment chamber. Plasma successfully vented from chamber, and containment protocol altered so as to require chamber atmospheric pressure to be maintained at near-vacuum.

02.1998 Miniaturized two-stage thermonuclear weapon of incompletely-understood design introduced through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side and detonated. Site-122 extensively damaged, but pathogens and nanobots introduced through SCP-1322 after detonation are successfully contained.

07.2006 Corrosive fluid pumped into containment chamber through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side under extremely high pressure. Pressurization of fluid continues after chamber is filled, resulting in damage to containment chamber. Pathogens and nanobots introduced through SCP-1322 after removal of fluid are successfully destroyed and facility repaired.

04.2007 At direction of Site-122 Administrator, remotely-operated miniaturized probe placed in containment chamber and commanded to approach SCP-1322. When probe came within 3 meters of SCP-1322, a series of iron rods, each at least 8 kg in mass, were fired through SCP-1322 at high velocities comparable to that experienced in 01.1994 incident. Rods destroyed probe and caused extensive damage to Site-122, which was promptly repaired.

11.2008 Gas of unknown composition introduced into chamber through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side under pressure. Following introduction, additional substance introduced through SCP-1322 resulting in extremely rapid phase-change of gas into solid with greater intermolecular separation than gas, which exerts pressure on chamber sides resulting in extensive damage. Solid then rapidly evaporates, following which pathogens and nanobots are introduced. Pathogens and nanobots destroyed and facility repaired.

06.20██ Several miniaturized thermonuclear weapons introduced through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side and detonated, followed by several high-energy particle beams being fired through SCP-1322 from the SCP-1322-A side at various angles. Site-122 extensively damaged, but pathogens and nanobots introduced through SCP-1322 after cessation of particle beams are successfully contained.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I think space tigers is bit of a lolzy outcome,in reality what we may actually have an agressive confrontation with is a drone swarm with the controllers long dead. A never ending SEARCH AND DESTROY message. Rrally depenss on how many though, if the factoties arr automated and the resource acquisition became automatic asqell you must wonder how long a dead civilization could keep pumping deathdrones out

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

LeoMarr posted:

if the factoties arr automated and the resource acquisition became automatic asqell you must wonder how long a dead civilization could keep pumping deathdrones out

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

axeil posted:

This is an interesting thought and makes me think of that one SCP where we accidentally genocide an alien species by accidental contamination with microbes. We then try and help and accidentally sterilize the whole species because we don't completely understand their biology. This then causes them to try to exterminate humanity with a variety of different mechanisms.

Maybe the reason no one talks to each other is because everyone's afraid of visitors coming and giving everyone Space AIDS? Even if that's not the case, I think things could very quickly go south when it comes to inter-species relations because of how alien we will be to each other. We struggle today with inter-cultural dialog and understanding, it's going to be much more difficult communicating with an entity/group where we have nothing in common.

Here's the relevant excerpt, it makes for a good little short story.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-1322

I dont think this works? Our bacteria and viruses evolved to infect us, specifically, in the same way as we evolved to need a particular set of fats and proteins. Alien life could maybe outcompete native life, but the idea that an earth virus would have the apparatus necessary to infect an alien species seems... far fetched. Bacteria are more likely, but even they evolved a certain way, with certain sugars as their primary food, which an alien body likely wouldnt contain.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
seems like year one on the enterprise everyone would be totally immune to everyone else's bacteria but by like year 100 million of the great space empire bacteria would be bound to evolve that can digest things that are common to many life forms. Like hans and chewbacca wouldn't ever evolve to be able to mate, but like, it seems like eventually the mange rotting chewie's hair would figure out to digest hans as well. a million years later at least.

And at some point if it could infect new species would depend on how different life really is. if animals on every planet often evolve hair and there is only like 3 chemistries animals commonly use to do it universe wide then bacteria that generically infect 1,2 or 3 or have various strains with various successes at all three are gonna evolve EVENTUALLY.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

BardoTheConsumer posted:

I dont think this works? Our bacteria and viruses evolved to infect us, specifically, in the same way as we evolved to need a particular set of fats and proteins. Alien life could maybe outcompete native life, but the idea that an earth virus would have the apparatus necessary to infect an alien species seems... far fetched. Bacteria are more likely, but even they evolved a certain way, with certain sugars as their primary food, which an alien body likely wouldnt contain.

Oh hm, I didn't think of that.

There are some cross-species diseases (rabies) on Earth but they're not very common compared to the cold/flu.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

axeil posted:

There are some cross-species diseases (rabies) on Earth but they're not very common compared to the cold/flu.

flus are cross species, swine flu/bird flu naming isn't just being fanciful, they really are flues swines and birds have.

but humans and birds share like 80% of our DNA, an alien that shared 0% would be such a larger jump.

There is a small number of fungus and bacteria that will infect plants and animals, and that is about as distant as anyone knows of.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
On the other hand something like this will grow on a plant, infect an invertebrate and show up to grow in wounds or in the goop in your lungs just fine, but will also just eat a ball of tar and oil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudomonas_aeruginosa

Stuff like this isn't really like a virus where it's using precise cellular keys that need to match up exactly. if aliens had any parts that were damp at all this would probably show up and start growing and not even care if the alien did or didn't have earth biology. And the alien may or may not have an immune system that could deal with an alien bacteria setting up a film on it's entire lungs happily ignoring the alien and just treating it as some free water to hang out in.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Something I don't think people have mentioned yet itt:

Chirality. It's highly likely that, even if alien whatevers have the same chemical composition as human/Earth whatevers, the chirality will be different.

That's the difference between poison and yummy, in food.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Spacewolf posted:

Chirality. It's highly likely that, even if alien whatevers have the same chemical composition as human/Earth whatevers, the chirality will be different.

At some point something is alien enough they aren't even a lifeform to any bacteria, they are just an environment. Like our eyes are all full of bacteria. we have a complex biome of bacteria living on the surface of our eyes fighting an unending biological war with our immune system. But you can also just get river amoebas in your eyes and have them go crazy and ruin your eyes. They don't really "know" they are infecting an eye, and don't really have any biochemistry that is reliant on anything eye related, they just kinda show up and go 'oh cool, this is a weird river" and reproduce just fine in the water of your eye till the waste products they make blind you.

That seems like how an alien infection would work. You are a complex biological reaction that is probably unique in all the universe, but you are also just a place with stuff in it. If there was some alien ET amoebas and they wanted to live in my eye are eat plastic out of my blood or convert the trace silica in my bones and set up little ecosystems in my juice where my immune system barely has any clue how to cope with this stuff and the other bacteria offer no competition they probably could.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

axeil posted:

On the other hand the ones i can think of are really really nasty when they jump species.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Spacewolf posted:

Ooh, chirality! Let's talk about chirality! Aliens that by some chance use identical building blocks to us, but with opposite chirality, is an interesting thought. The poison thing was more or less made up by Bioware for Mass Effect, though.

Chirality means handedness in a molecule; two molecules with chiral centers have identical arrangements of atoms but are mirror images of each other, much as your hands are mirror images of each other. We call these mirrored molecules enantiomers of one another, with the two forms, because of how they are studied, being called left-handed (L) and right-handed (D). Life as we know it uses L-amino acids as its basic building blocks and D-sugars as its fundamental source of energy. "Homochirality" is the name used for the fact all life we know uses the same enantiomers. The origin of homochirality is an outstanding question in science. We don't even know what mechanism gave us the homochirality we use, whether it was something that happened in space or on Earth, or if it happened before or after life arose.

General consensus is that biochemistry benefits from sticking to one enantiomer or the other--which one doesn't matter, just that we're primarily made of one. The argument for this is that proteins in our bodies being composed all of the same enantiomer makes them more stable and able to interact consistently. Another argument is that our bodies run better because enzymes that catalyze reactions in our body generally work better with one enantiomer over the other.

We do know that D-amino acids and L-sugars won't kill you--our bodies generally can't metabolize them but they aren't really toxic to us. If you ate a diet only containing D-amino acids and L-sugars you might reach the toxicity levels necessary for some of them to kill you but you'd probably die of malnutrition first. We also know if you were eating food identical to what you're used to, but made entirely of D-amino acids and L-sugars, it'd probably taste wrong. Our senses of taste and smell can distinguish between enantiomers of amino acids and sugars; the mirror forms don't necessarily taste bad, but will taste different including having no flavor at all to us. For example, the artificial sweetener Aspartame is just D-phenylalanine, the mirror form of the essential amino acid L-phenylalanine we find in our bodies.

Your body can convert some D-amino acids to their L-forms, but we aren't evolved to do so to the point it would save you and on that note the only thing keeping you primarily made out of L-amino acids is your body's active maintenance of itself. Once an organism dies there's plenty of natural, if slow, reactions that will convert L-amino acids to D-amino acids and vice versa--eventually there will be an equilibrium where there are equal amounts of each. This happens so consistently it can be used to find out how long an organism has been dead, in fact.

Thinking about it, if D-amino acids and L-sugars were highly toxic to us there would be a strong evolutionary pressure on organisms needing defensive mechanisms to produce them as toxins or poisons. It's not the ability to produce opposite enantiomers that's the problem there--our bodies can and do produce D-amino acids. You can find D-amino acids all through the biochemical reactions in our bodies and in other organisms. Some bacteria even build their cell walls out of D-amino acids to protect themselves from enzymes that would otherwise effectively destroy those cell walls.

Just from the basic perspective of evolution, after billion of years of trial and error it seems like a perilous problem that the opposite enantiomer of one of your basic building blocks would be notably toxic to you as you can't really avoid them even if your own enantiomer is more common. Enantiomers aren't permanently fixed things; they can and do undergo chemical reactions that swap them to their opposite form.

Now, what can be either beneficial or highly toxic to you based on its enantiomer are other compounds. The famous example is thalidomide, of which one enantiomer is a useful drug while the other enantiomer is usually biologically inert but also causes horrific birth defects if taken by someone while they're pregnant. It's not enough to purify thalidomide before using it as a drug because it will swap between its two enantiomers in the body which also means we are't 100% that it's true one version is safe while the other is dangerous, or even if the same enantiomer isn't in fact both the drug and the poison both while the other is just inert.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Or humans die of ethanol poisoning all the time, but horse livers manufacture so much alcohol dehydrogenase that not only is it impossible for them to drink enough alcohol to kill them it may not be possible for them to even get drunk because their liver breaks it down so fast it can't accumulate in the bloodstream.

I didn’t know this and also this is perhaps my favorite thing I’ve learned on SA. Also I’m glad they can’t get drunk they’re already really dumb.

These were both great posts VitalSigns. Also great thread, it’s like a dilettantes buffet in here.

The sheer numbers involved in this topic are beyond my ability to really grasp. Like I can do so logically but my brain just goes “nah, gently caress it, let’s use the word big and call it a day.”

100-250B stars in our galaxy. 200B - 2T galaxies in the universe. So that’s how many planets? Nah gently caress it. Going with big.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 12, 2018

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

I didn’t know this and also this is perhaps my favorite thing I’ve learned on SA. Also I’m glad they can’t get drunk they’re already really dumb.

It's kinda funny that the one thing that can't kill a horse is alcohol.

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"

Alhazred posted:

It's kinda funny that the one thing that can't kill a horse is alcohol.

Upsetting though because it mean BoJack Horseman isn’t realistic :(

LtStorm posted:

Fascinating quote about stuff I knew nothing about

Thanks for this! Really interesting!

Mr. Grumpybones fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 12, 2018

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
re: Chirality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyTqgnKD3sw

SpaceTime must be reading the thread.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Spacewolf posted:

Wasn't that a minor story point in the Mass Effect games?

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

squirrelzipper posted:

These were both great posts VitalSigns. Also great thread, it’s like a dilettantes buffet in here.

The sheer numbers involved in this topic are beyond my ability to really grasp. Like I can do so logically but my brain just goes “nah, gently caress it, let’s use the word big and call it a day.”

100-250B stars in our galaxy. 200B - 2T galaxies in the universe. So that’s how many planets? Nah gently caress it. Going with big.

And yet they're all nothing compared to Graham's Number.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham%27s_number

They had to invent new forms of mathematical notation just to write it out. It is so large a standard decimal representation of it would not fit in the universe.

When you finally start wrapping your mind around it and realize that Graham's Number / Infinity still rounds to 0 you get to realize just how big infinity is.

Wait But Why also did a good write-up on it, back before the author went off the deep end on Musk worship.

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/11/1000000-grahams-number.html

Scientific American also has a good write-up on it.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/roots-of-unity/grahame28099s-number-is-too-big-for-me-to-tell-you-how-big-it-is/

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
This thread could probably do with a second wind so it's probably not aliens... but please god be aliens.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

khwarezm posted:

This thread could probably do with a second wind so it's probably not aliens... but please god be aliens.

I really hope it's not Aliens!! Otherwise the Great Filter might be ahead -- See: https://nickbostrom.com/extraterrestrial.pdf

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

I really hope it's not Aliens!! Otherwise the Great Filter might be ahead -- See: https://nickbostrom.com/extraterrestrial.pdf

I don't think that's right. That argument is for non-technologically advanced life. The phenomenon in question, fast radio bursts, is from other galaxies. If life forms are generating them, pretty sure that means they are more technologically advanced than us. And we're able to hear them as soon as we turn an ear to the sky. That would mean high tech life is common! (It's probably not aliens)

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Epitope posted:

I don't think that's right. That argument is for non-technologically advanced life. The phenomenon in question, fast radio bursts, is from other galaxies. If life forms are generating them, pretty sure that means they are more technologically advanced than us. And we're able to hear them as soon as we turn an ear to the sky. That would mean high tech life is common! (It's probably not aliens)
You twist the logic any way you like. You can argue "We should have heard someone by now, so by on our current tech levels the Great Filter is behind us, because it was in front of us, there'd be a lot of assholes polluting space with radio waves" or you can argue "We've been looking in the wrong spots/ways, finding civilizations with new techniques just validates that assumption and there is no great filter". The Drake equation has enough variables that anyone can just pick their favorite and say everyone else is very badly estimating it. (Though of course in this specific instance, it'd be really bizarre to see people messaging passing between galaxies)

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

twodot posted:

You twist the logic any way you like. You can argue "We should have heard someone by now, so by on our current tech levels the Great Filter is behind us, because it was in front of us, there'd be a lot of assholes polluting space with radio waves" or you can argue "We've been looking in the wrong spots/ways, finding civilizations with new techniques just validates that assumption and there is no great filter". The Drake equation has enough variables that anyone can just pick their favorite and say everyone else is very badly estimating it. (Though of course in this specific instance, it'd be really bizarre to see people messaging passing between galaxies)

You're talking about with one data point (which is all we have). If we get a second data point, it eliminates a lot of those possibilities. Mr Sun says all additional evidence of life is discouraging with regard to how much further our tech can evolve. Not true! Evidence of more advanced tech would be encouraging. And they're not suggesting coms:

quote:

Rather than being designed for communication, they would more likely be used to propel giant spaceships powered by light sails which bounce light, or in this case radio beams, off a huge reflective sheet to provide thrust, the scientists said.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Epitope posted:

You're talking about with one data point (which is all we have). If we get a second data point, it eliminates a lot of those possibilities.
Name a single possibility that is eliminated by a sample size of 2.
edit:
Just to head off the argument, the response is "the thing you think is common is actually much rarer than you think".
edit2:
I suppose Divine Command Theory would make it very weird to find a second civilization, but I'm guessing that's not your approach.

twodot fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Jan 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

communism cannot and will not work