Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Merry Christmas from Hook & Ladder 8!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

I listened to an interview with Paul Feig recently, and he said something that was very telling. He said he was 'slavish' to test audiences. So he basically has no artistic vision at all. It's just throwing a bunch of poo poo at the screen and seeing what a tired test audience laughs at.

I was disappointed by Feig's Ghostbusters (didn't hate it, but certainly never need to see it again), and I'm one of the only people I know who saw The Heat and didn't laugh once.

But this year, Feig directed A Simple Favor, and it's one of my favorite movies of 2018. A top five movie for sure. It's an awesome, twisty, sexy neo-noir that's also drat funny, with the always adorable Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively actually doing some acting. It probably helps that Feig adapted it from a novel, but I can't rave about the movie enough.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I was disappointed by Feig's Ghostbusters (didn't hate it, but certainly never need to see it again), and I'm one of the only people I know who saw The Heat and didn't laugh once.

But this year, Feig directed A Simple Favor, and it's one of my favorite movies of 2018. A top five movie for sure. It's an awesome, twisty, sexy neo-noir that's also drat funny, with the always adorable Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively actually doing some acting. It probably helps that Feig adapted it from a novel, but I can't rave about the movie enough.

He promoted that on the podcast I listened to and yeah I need to check that out. It's frustrating because he is a funny guy. He's got some good stories. He's worked and collaborated with lots of talented people. He's directed some of the best episodes of the Office. My favorite TV show is Freaks and Geeks.

Maybe he just needs to do projects that are actually interesting and not just let his buddies film hours and hours of improv cut down to 90 minutes. I"m not sure how to explain. It's like he needs something or someone to point him in the right direction instead of wandering aimlessly in improv hell.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Why didn't they set Ghostbusters 2016 in Boston? They could have done cool stuff with colonial era ghosts and given it an original spin instead of making a lukewarm remake of the original. That was my biggest issue, if you're going to do a remake it has to be at least as good as the original, otherwise just do something new with the same base ideas.

I can't say anything that hasn't already been said about the original Ghostbusters. A relative of mine used to tell everyone about how he was in NYC working one day and somehow wondered into the set when they were filming outside of library and he allegedly walked in front of the camera and ruined a take and got yelled at. Who knows if it's true, it might be.

I actually have a lot of affection for Ghostbusters 2. It replayed on HBO and broadcast channels all the time when I was 10-12 years old and I never got the criticisms. As an adult I can see the faults and I get why it turned out how it did with all of the behind the scenes drama but I still enjoy it enough. They control the freaking Statue of Liberty with an NES advantage controller, come on!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why didn't they set Ghostbusters 2016 in Boston? They could have done cool stuff with colonial era ghosts and given it an original spin instead of making a lukewarm remake of the original. That was my biggest issue, if you're going to do a remake it has to be at least as good as the original, otherwise just do something new with the same base ideas.

Large parts of it were filmed in Boston anyway, so it makes more sense.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I still want a Ghostbusters XCOM set in New Orleans :colbert:

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Ghostbusters 2 is perfectly fine, it might actually be just as funny as the first one. It lacks the magic obvs but if you love the first one I can't see how you'd not at least like the sequel. I've worked with better, but not many

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ghostbusters 2 works when you're a kid because it's pretty much still everything that appealed to kids about the first one, minus the stuff that makes the original a classic. You come for the special effects and Dan Ackroyd's mugging, but you stay for the writing and the character interactions. The sequel delivers on those first two things but phones it in when it comes to the other two.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I still want a Ghostbusters XCOM set in New Orleans :colbert:

Working on it!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I really need to watch some long plays of the Ghostbusters game, apparently it's real good and essentially is what Ghostbuster 3 would have been if it was made in the early 90s?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I appreciate Ghostbusters 2 for how fuckin weird it is, even compared to the first film. It’s very pure-strain Akroyd, like Nothing But Trouble.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
He said the Titanic just arrived!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I really need to watch some long plays of the Ghostbusters game, apparently it's real good and essentially is what Ghostbuster 3 would have been if it was made in the early 90s?

What I remember of the game was that it was fun in bursts, but overall kind of repetitive. The story also didn't do much for me, rehashing Gozer again. It has the same problem as the other two follow-ups to the original movie - it very much feels like "Well, I guess we need to make another one!"

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

He said the Titanic just arrived!

Command me lord!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Liberal Idiot posted:

What I remember of the game was that it was fun in bursts, but overall kind of repetitive. The story also didn't do much for me, rehashing Gozer again. It has the same problem as the other two follow-ups to the original movie - it very much feels like "Well, I guess we need to make another one!"

It's quite fun, with a decent script, but you can tell where the seams are. Like, the museum curator character voiced by Alyssa Milano was meant to be Dana Barrett, but Sigourney Weaver declined to be in the game (something she apparently now regrets). It goes over the first movie beats, going after Slimer at the Sedgewick, fighting Stay-Puft, and then shines more as it starts doing its own thing.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

The game was especially fun on the Wii where you would use the remote to sling ghosts around. It does get a bit repetitive, and the end game is tedious but the story is fun and the VA work is solid having gotten the crew together for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Ghostbusters game was pretty drat impressive graphically at the time too. Very nice particle effects and lots of attention to detail in with way everything looked and moved.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

That was PR fluff. It was billed as what Aykroyd considered Ghostbusters 3, but he and Ramis had very little involvement in writing the story and script. Three Terminal Reality writers put together everything, and then gave it to Ramis & Aykroyd to touch it up; by Ramis' own admission, "they couldn't have paid us enough to make it a really funny script."

The GB3 Aykroyd has been trying to get made since the '90s is Hellbent, in which Hell begins encroaching upon Earth, and the Ghostbusters wind up battling Satan, depicted as a Trump analogue named Luke Sifler. (Get it? Lucifer? HAHAHAHAHA oh gently caress off, Danny, just go sell your crystal skull vodka.)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The recent IDW comics were kinda fun. The crossovers with the TMNT worked better than you'd think they ever should. And they also had a crossover with The Real Ghostbusters. (since the comics take place specifically as a continuation of the movies, though they also reference the events of the games iirc)

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The game was really crying out to be open world,. Driving around New York in the Ecto1 bustin ghosts would rule.
Not to mention the in game currency was earned with the same photography mechanic as Beyond Good and Evil, but not being open world meant you could only take pictures of the ghosts when they were attacking you.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bitterandtwisted posted:

The game was really crying out to be open world,. Driving around New York in the Ecto1 bustin ghosts would rule.
Not to mention the in game currency was earned with the same photography mechanic as Beyond Good and Evil, but not being open world meant you could only take pictures of the ghosts when they were attacking you.

Considering I haven't played it since it came out, I seem to remember liking it being on a rail because it felt like you were wading into a disaster.

There alreday was an open world Ghostbusters game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isSEnYkq9u8

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghostbusters_(1984_video_game)

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

bitterandtwisted posted:

It's a crime that they never let you drive Ecto-1 in the game :mad:

What makes it worse is that there's a mission around 2/3rds of the way in where they really let you think you're about to get to drive it. One of the Ghostbusters says "why don't we let the rookie drive?" and then a second later another one goes "naaaah".

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's a crime that they never let you drive Ecto-1 in the game :mad:

What makes it worse is that there's a mission around 2/3rds of the way in where they really let you think you're about to get to drive it. One of the Ghostbusters says "why don't we let the rookie drive?" and then a second later another one goes "naaaah".

Given the turbulent development history of The Video Game, it's a miracle that it ever actually came out.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Timby posted:

Given the turbulent development history of The Video Game, it's a miracle that it ever actually came out.

didn't they lose their deal with activision so they scrambled to find a new publisher in Atari?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrJacobs posted:

didn't they lose their deal with activision so they scrambled to find a new publisher in Atari?

Yeah, when Vivendi merged and Activision Blizzard was created, they cut most of the projects in development at Vivendi. Additionally, the Infernal Engine was held together with toothpicks and prayers, and was a beast to get working on the PS3. The game's script was rewritten from the ground-up at least three times. And no one knew whether or Bill Murray would actually show up to record his lines, as he kept missing his scheduled sessions, so Aykroyd and Hudson wound up recording a bunch of his dialogue in case he backed out. (Murray eventually showed up for about a day's worth of recording.)

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Didn't Murray also have some bizarre request asking that all four Ghostbusters appear equally, not realizing that isn't how video games work?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Almost Blue posted:

Didn't Murray also have some bizarre request asking that all four Ghostbusters appear equally, not realizing that isn't how video games work?

He requested that Winston get equal screen time because Ernie Hudson has typically got the shaft in the past, which is surprisingly decent of him.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

He requested that Winston get equal screen time because Ernie Hudson has typically got the shaft in the past, which is surprisingly decent of him.

Allegedly a lot of Winston's lines in the original movie were only there because Murray insisted he be given something to say. Hudson has said that his character was trimmed down significantly between drafts because Columbia wanted more Murray in the picture, so maybe that was Murray's way of trying to make it up to him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As a kid Winston was my favorite because of that scene from Ghostbusters 2 where Ray and Egon are in the dark room and the fire starts. Winston is such a boss in that scene.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Liberal Idiot posted:

Allegedly a lot of Winston's lines in the original movie were only there because Murray insisted he be given something to say. Hudson has said that his character was trimmed down significantly between drafts because Columbia wanted more Murray in the picture, so maybe that was Murray's way of trying to make it up to him.

I can see that, and probably recognizing that the only reason Ernie was losing lines is because he wasn’t Eddie Murphy helped, like “why is this guy getting punished for Eddie saying no”

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The court room scene in GB 2 Winston is there before the trial starts, and then he just disappears for the rest of it.

Winston was a cool dude and should have gotten more time in the sequel.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
As a kid Venkman was my favorite because I liked Bill Murray. As an adult Winston is my favorite

"Ah, if there's a steady paycheck in it, I'll believe anything you say."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

deoju posted:

The court room scene in GB 2 Winston is there before the trial starts, and then he just disappears for the rest of it.

Him at the beginning is awesome. "I've got to get my own lawyer." But yeah, he should have shown up when the trying to take down the ghost brothers.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Davros1 posted:

Him at the beginning is awesome. "I've got to get my own lawyer."

... that line is from the first movie, when they're all in jail.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Winston does get one of the funniest scenes in GB2 when they’re playing with the echo in the train tunnel.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Liberal Idiot posted:

There's a ton of Walter Peck stuff in the game that is completely pointless. He's supposed to be supervising the Ghostbusters for the city, which is what you call a "comedy premise", but they just ignore him the entire game with no consequences.

deoju posted:

Winston's the worst part of 2 because he is in no way the same character from the first film. In the first one he's got this blue collar, down to earth attitude with a very slight tough guy edge. He's the guy who points out just how insane the others sound, and he's the audience POV character for when all the apocalyptic stuff starts being explained because he, like us, has a layman's view of it. He isn't a passionate ghost geek like Egon or Ray, but he doesn't have Venkman's detachment either. He's there because it's his job, but he actually cares about it in a practical sense. He's also a fun contrast to the others because he's not a nerd.

In part 2 he's just really happy to be a Ghostbuster and that's his entire personality. He comes across like a big dork and not at all like the same guy from the first film.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 17, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Davros1 posted:

But yeah, he should have shown up when the trying to take down the ghost brothers.

It's a real bummer that he's not there. I can get why they might have wanted a segment of the movie with just Murray, Aykroyd and Raimis. But Hudson should have been in this scene too. I refuse to believe Winston would have hightailed it over some chumps like the Scolari bros.

It's now officially my head cannon that he is doing something heroic offscreen. Like CPR on some little old lady that had a heart attack.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

:eng101: The scene was filmed with Winston leading people out to safety (because there's only 3 proton packs) but other than a very brief glimpse of him doing that in the background of the scene, it was edited out.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Lurdiak posted:

:eng101: The scene was filmed with Winston leading people out to safety (because there's only 3 proton packs) but other than a very brief glimpse of him doing that in the background of the scene, it was edited out.

It sounds like they cut so much from GB 2, I keep hearing about new stuff. I don't think I've seen that deleted scenes before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That's because the deleted scenes have never been released, there are no special features of any kind on any release of the movie, not even commentary.

I know there was gonna be way more Ghostbuster Louis Tulley vs Slimer.