Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Motronic posted:

Yep, this. Electric heat is a deal killer here. Well, I mean, usually unless you got some crazy good hookups and can score free or cheap datacenter leftover generators and are willing and able to deal with that kind of thing.

So, for example:

This 5 foot long 2000 lb generator that I'll be installing has a Ford 6 cylinder pickup truck motor in it and will only (lol, only) be able to produce about 185 watts of power:

It's a 35kw generator.

You need a 65k. And the cheap ones are like $16-20k not counting the transfer switch, panel and fuel storage. You will burn well over 100 gal per day if things are running full tilt.

Maybe I am confused but how is a six cylinder engine only putting out 185 Watts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think he means 185 amps

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Dec 11, 2018

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Motronic posted:

While LPG is heavier than air, a leaking buried tank is not going to trigger "I accidentally 1000 gallons of heating oil from my rusty UST into the creek". In fact, I'm not aware of any residential level remediation events.

Do LPG tanks need to be buried these days? It’s been 20 years since I lived there but almost every house in Kansas outside the city limits had a big 500 gallon propane tank painted white or silver. They had to be set back from the house of course, but almost everyone had one.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

I think he means 185 amps

Sorry, yes - amps in "single phase" (actually split phase). It outputs slightly more when wired for 3 phase, but that doesn't do me much good for a residential install.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I really regret not getting a heat pump that can be controlled by my tenants nest. They keep it running 24/7 at 71 degrees. While the 8kw solar system certainly helps offset the usage it is really wasteful of them. At least with the nest I could schedule it to not run as high whole they're out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Why don't they have separate utilities that they pay themselves? Or at least a contractual maximum power bill which they have to pay any overages? This is the kind of thing that can cause a huge risk to rental profitability.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
The rentals not so much about profitability as it is offsetting the mortgage. The going rate for a 2 bedroom 2nd floor around here is 1800ish and we charge them 2250 so even with excessive usage we are doing well. Other than the electric usage they're ideal tenants and it's not worth something making a fuss over. Just wish it was tied to the nest.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
If my utilities were static costs, you best believe I'd have my heat set at 70 instead of 65 when I'm home and 60 when I'm asleep/away..

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Sepist posted:

The rentals not so much about profitability as it is offsetting the mortgage. The going rate for a 2 bedroom 2nd floor around here is 1800ish and we charge them 2250 so even with excessive usage we are doing well. Other than the electric usage they're ideal tenants and it's not worth something making a fuss over. Just wish it was tied to the nest.

There's gotta be a way to wire them together, might be worth contacting a hvac company or an electrician. It'd probably just take running more wires to where the Nest is? That's what they had to do when I installed my Nest. Nest even paid for it lol.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
My understanding was that my mini split would need the wifi adapter for any home automation but at the time I cheaped out and bought the unit that isnt compatible with the adapter. If these splits ever die I'll just replace them with a more advanced unit

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sepist posted:

My understanding was that my mini split would need the wifi adapter for any home automation but at the time I cheaped out and bought the unit that isnt compatible with the adapter. If these splits ever die I'll just replace them with a more advanced unit

I lot of mini splits have a "dry contact" adapter box (or it may be part of the unit already) where you can, at it's simplest, wire in a regular thermostat. That may work as is with a nest or it might require a transformer. Depends on the brand.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Bought a slightly older (1992) house that has been very well-maintained and was an absolute steal for the location, price, and amount of space (2865 sqft). few things as we begin some minor updates/renovations:

1. The hot water heater is on the other side of the house, so it takes a while for hot water to get to the master and guest baths. Is a timed recirculating pump an effective solution or is it snake oil? Does it gently caress with the plumbing (the house has copper, not PEX) to have hot water in there more frequently? I'll admit that I know comparatively little about plumbing, so whatevs.

2. The formal dining has some pretty ugly wallpaper. Remove, reprint, and retexture, or just prime and paint over it? My handyman said that if you remove the wallpaper, it might reveal imperfections in the drywall and necessitate more repairs, so it's risky either way.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

IT BURNS posted:

Bought a slightly older (1992) house that has been very well-maintained and was an absolute steal for the location, price, and amount of space (2865 sqft). few things as we begin some minor updates/renovations:

2. The formal dining has some pretty ugly wallpaper. Remove, reprint, and retexture, or just prime and paint over it? My handyman said that if you remove the wallpaper, it might reveal imperfections in the drywall and necessitate more repairs, so it's risky either way.

Put new wallpaper over it! I think the old owners removed some wallpaper to make this home sell easier and painted everything white. When we moved in we put classic wallpaper in the dining room immediately.

Although if you do want boring solid color walls, don’t fret over having to patch up the drywall. Take a good hard look at the drywall finish throughout the house, it’s probably not any worse than what that looks like. Fixing those imperfections is part of a good paint job anyway and you’ve got to expect that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
this is garbage advice

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Potrzebie posted:

Can't wait for the solar panels to go up. Just look at this completely ridiculous economic calculation! It's even inflation adjusted. The reason it is this amazingly good is due to government incentives. It'd be 15 years or so to break even w/o incentives.

År=Year
Viktat Elpris=Weighted electricity price
Produktion solel=...I think you can figure this one out.
Årlig=Annual
Avkastning=Rate of return
Kvar på=Left until break even
kr=SEK

LOL, no. Turns out our trainwreck of a government just voted in a conservative budget that hates solar installations. So our expected incentive is between 0 and 20%, to be payed somewhere between 2019 and the death of the Sun. :homebrew:

On the sort of good side, this still means we'll break even in 13 years. Just not 9 as we expected.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

IT BURNS posted:

1. The hot water heater is on the other side of the house, so it takes a while for hot water to get to the master and guest baths. Is a timed recirculating pump an effective solution or is it snake oil? Does it gently caress with the plumbing (the house has copper, not PEX) to have hot water in there more frequently? I'll admit that I know comparatively little about plumbing, so whatevs.

Just adding a pump doesn't do anything, you also need to install a recirc line for that pump to go on. If you already have a recirc line, then adding a pump is generally fine. If not, you're looking at running a 1/2" pipe from your furthest (or close to furthest) fixture back to your water heater. Also keep in mind that your energy costs are going to go up. First you'll be paying to energize the pump, and you might experience additional heat loss in your pipe, meaning more work for your heater. Are all of your HW pipes insulated? That would be a higher priority than adding a pump.

Having water flowing all the time is really no issue for the pipes.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Finally identified the root cause behind the drain line backing up when I run the washing machine.

Turns out the drain pipes underneath the foundation have a "running trap", which is an old-school trap that builders installed at the end of a main drain line back in the day. And the thing doesn't have enough capacity for my washing machine.

Plumber gave me two choices:

1. Spend $10,132 excavating under the foundation and removing the running trap
2. Avoid running the washing machine in "heavy duty" mode, and run it in "delicates" mode as often as possible

Easy decision. :lol:

Of course, I now have to disclose this if/when I sell the house. :shepicide:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That disclosure makes your house a pain in the rear end to sell, and you will end up giving that money back to the buyer to make the deal.

Do you really want to live with this the entire time you own the home and then pay to fix it for the next owner?

(also, get more quotes)

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
This is a bit of a kludge, but you could build a reservoir tank next to the washer for it to dump the water in, and then have that tank hooked up to the drain. Adjust the output flow of the tank to where it doesn't overwhelm and backup the trap.

I would still get the trap removed long term but that'll let you function for the foreseeable future.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Motronic posted:

That disclosure makes your house a pain in the rear end to sell, and you will end up giving that money back to the buyer to make the deal.

Do you really want to live with this the entire time you own the home and then pay to fix it for the next owner?

(also, get more quotes)

You are right, I would definitely get it fixed before selling the house. It's just not the type of thing that requires urgent fixing, and has only a negligible impact on my quality of life, which is why I'm OK living with it, at least for the time being.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

Finally identified the root cause behind the drain line backing up when I run the washing machine.

Turns out the drain pipes underneath the foundation have a "running trap", which is an old-school trap that builders installed

Of course, I now have to disclose this if/when I sell the house. :shepicide:

I wouldn't disclose an original feature of the house unless required by law (lead, asbestos). Don't lie if asked.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

H110Hawk posted:

I wouldn't disclose an original feature of the house unless required by law (lead, asbestos). Don't lie if asked.

I'm not a lawyer, but I seem to recall you are required by law to disclose any known major maintenance items or other issues the house has.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
And yet no one ever does. :thunk:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not a lawyer, but I seem to recall you are required by law to disclose any known major maintenance items or other issues the house has.

Yes, I believe this is the case.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't think you have to disclose that your old house is not that same as a new house.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I mean, the way the plumber explained it was that it is very much a feature of ALL houses built around that timeframe, and it only became a flaw because I connected a modern washing machine.

I'll definitely talk to my realtor next time I see her and see what she says, though.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Neither am I. Nor am I a home expert. Sounds like people really should get a sewer inspection if they want to know it's current state. To you it works fine.

I would fix it if you want but dollars to donuts the last 3 people to own that house knew the same information, and you should have found it when you bought it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Does it apply to things that aren’t technically broken or a maintenance item? I never hear about lawsuits against the people selling houses with undersized, groundless knob and tube wiring.

I had a sewer inspection done on my house and got the owner to repair the line but it was actually busted.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Fallom posted:

Does it apply to things that aren’t technically broken or a maintenance item? I never hear about lawsuits against the people selling houses with undersized, groundless knob and tube wiring.

I had a sewer inspection done on my house and got the owner to repair the line but it was actually busted.

(Again, I'm no lawyer, so take this with the appropriate boulder of salt) It's not that you're not allowed to sell the house, you just have to tell the prospective buyer "oh BTW there's knob and tube in there". And even then that's only if you know about it, which can be hard to prove.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Crazy idea, how about just being a decent human being and disclosing it because it's the better thing to do?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

couldcareless posted:

Crazy idea, how about just being a decent human being and disclosing it because it's the better thing to do?

Hrmm sounds expensive.

Doesn’t everyone get the sewer scoped when they do inspection anyway?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

StormDrain posted:

Doesn’t everyone get the sewer scoped when they do inspection anyway?

Everyone in this thread is advised to; but absolutely not, no, most people do not do that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah that's not part of a standard inspection and I would have loved to now that I know we have old a poo poo clay pipes that love roots.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Hey, since we're talking about disclosures...

So we bought our house almost 3 years ago. There's a neighborhood drainage ditch on the adjacent property (which is owned by the HOA). The previous owners said that this was an "easement" on the disclosure form. However, since it's not actually on our property, that's not really true... here's the exact question on the form:

the disclosure form posted:

Is the property subject to any utility or other easements, shared driveways, party walls or encroachments from or on adjacent property?

And their answer:

the sellers posted:

[Yes] Property is adjacent to neighborhood easement.

So here's the issue: we found out recently that the drainage ditch is classified by the city as an "intermittent stream," which means that we can't do much of anything within a 50' buffer zone of the bank... and about 30' of that buffer zone is on our property. So fences are OK, but within that boundary we can't install retaining walls/hardscaping, irrigation/sprinklers, and we technically we can't remove any plants without replacing them. I got a "wink wink nudge nudge we don't enforce it unless people complain" from a city representative... but that's not really comforting.

Anyhow, my question is: based on the question from the disclosure form, is this something that would need to be disclosed? This is the only question on the form that comes remotely close to this subject.

Follow-up: if we thought the previous owners may have known and not disclosed, how do we find out? The only way I can see would be denied/marked up permits from the city or HOA. Would we be able to get a history of permits from the city/HOA just by asking? Or would we need actual legal action like a subpoena to get that stuff? I'm not sure either party would keep denied permits.

I know the real answer is "talk to a lawyer," but I'm just looking for general information right now. I mostly want to make sure that we don't need to remember this when we sell, but also this basically prohibits us from doing some improvements that we were planning, and MIGHT impact some other improvements. It's not that big of a deal, but if I can find evidence that they knew and didn't tell us I'll be kinda pissed...

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I think you would have a tough argument to say that disclosure is required.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

gvibes posted:

I think you would have a tough argument to say that disclosure is required.

That was my thought as well, but I didn't know if there was some sort of legal background or definition of any of those terms that might include a stream buffer zone.

Of course even if it's required, we'd have to prove that the PO knew about it, which would be nearly impossible. I, however, have an e-mail trail with the city... so it'd be easy to prove that I knew about it.

I think the biggest thing that bugs me is that the buffer zone encompasses almost half our deck. The deck is original and in poo poo shape... we plan on replacing it with a screened in porch. The city representative we talked to said that HE would approve a permit for a screened in porch if he was assigned to review it, but it could easily get rejected depending on who reviewed the application... so it's a crap shoot basically.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 17, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

wrong thread

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 20, 2018

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Employer gave us all $0 paychecks because they haven't been doing our taxes right
Colorado

When I got to work yesterday I was surprised by a $0 paycheck. Apparently our taxes haven't been done right since 2015. They were just audited. Here's the note that was attached https://imgur.com/a/yNjT4jm and my lovely paycheck https://imgur.com/a/f1Ra4jc . This only affected the servers. This is only my part time job, so I'm out about $100. Some of the servers though had worked over time and had $500+ checks that were zeroed. We were given no notice, and were informed that the people who had worked the most hours this year would miss another check. Is this legal? Can we do anything about this?

Edited: add location Edited to add: We give our manager a sheet after each shift showing exactly how much in tips we made. They do the claiming for us. I talked to one of the owners, she was unaware that claiming 8% of sales was wrong and that she's been doing that for 30 years. It looks like this whole thing isn't illegal, just really lovely timing and poorly executed

Merry Christmas!

Wrong thread, but that sucks

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

QuarkJets posted:

Employer gave us all $0 paychecks because they haven't been doing our taxes right
Colorado

When I got to work yesterday I was surprised by a $0 paycheck. Apparently our taxes haven't been done right since 2015. They were just audited. Here's the note that was attached https://imgur.com/a/yNjT4jm and my lovely paycheck https://imgur.com/a/f1Ra4jc . This only affected the servers. This is only my part time job, so I'm out about $100. Some of the servers though had worked over time and had $500+ checks that were zeroed. We were given no notice, and were informed that the people who had worked the most hours this year would miss another check. Is this legal? Can we do anything about this?

Edited: add location Edited to add: We give our manager a sheet after each shift showing exactly how much in tips we made. They do the claiming for us. I talked to one of the owners, she was unaware that claiming 8% of sales was wrong and that she's been doing that for 30 years. It looks like this whole thing isn't illegal, just really lovely timing and poorly executed

Merry Christmas!

Why did you repost this from reddit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Jealous Cow posted:

Why did you repost this from reddit?

Good question sir, surely we will need to greatest detective of all time to figure this mystery out