Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

god drat america

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Feed the People: Fixed an issue in which completing the Feed the People Event Quest granted Canned Meat Stew to all players on the server, rather than only the quest’s participants.

I honestly thought this was a cool feature that allowed players to actually feed the people in the server. Of course not.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Fixed a bug where fun occurred.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
They fixed the flickering lighting in the distance and added widescreen support.

Nitpick all you want, ya haters. This was a hell of a patch.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

mormonpartyboat posted:

how's the price increase a user interface fix?

Yeah, it’s weird how they increased the prices by 15 percent four different times and put each increase into a different section of the patch notes.

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

They fixed the flickering lighting in the distance and added widescreen support.

Yup, still looks like a game from a decade ago alright.

I’m willing to bet cash money that the trees in TES6 will still have flat textures extending off the trunks instead of actual leaves and branches.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Lol at saying a patch that directly tries to squeeze more money from you is good

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Nitpicking. Lol

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

corn in the bible posted:

Lol at saying a patch that directly tries to squeeze more money from you is good

people still falling for this? isn't this the second time

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol because u see teh Atoms are necessary to play the bideo jame

Ariong posted:

I’m willing to bet cash money that the trees in TES6 will still have flat textures extending off the trunks instead of actual leaves and branches.

I don't really care about that. If I want to see actual leaves and branches I go outside, also I turned down the graphics settings because I have a mediocre PC... That's mostly Low and Medium settings

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Also, it's weird to be so boastful about a patch that a) fixes a bug that should never have made it to release and b) adds a feature that should have been in since release.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The 15% increase meme will never get old for me.

corn in the bible posted:

Sorry but all you get are Hbomberguys endless rants that could be done in a sixth if the time

Pfft, if anything, they could afford to be longer. Have you ever seen a Mauler video? Have you ever seen his 11 hour response video to HBomberguy's Dark Souls 2 video??

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 11, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Penpal posted:

It's just so believable.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ariong posted:

Also, it's weird to be so boastful about a patch that a) fixes a bug that should never have made it to release and b) adds a feature that should have been in since release.

in 2018 they don't need to manufacture little plastic cartridges to distribute games on chips anymore so they can release them earlier and people who aren't anal retentive nutbags can enjoy them. There is even a whole thing called early access games where developers keep adding content and fixing bugs for many years after "release" Just because Bethsoft didn't use Steam marketing lingo verbatim doesn't mean they aren't seeing the massive trend in gaming that has been going on for years. thank you for listening to my ted talk

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 11, 2018

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Penpal posted:

3rd

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
Got to experience my first nuke drop yesterday. That was pretty sweet.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

It's just so believable.

See, the problem with it is that it would actually create a coherent theme of "Get fleeced, idiots." and they already checked that off their list.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

in 2018 they don't need to manufacture little plastic cartridges to distribute games on chips anymore so they can release them earlier and people who aren't anal retentive nutbags can enjoy them. There is even a whole thing called early access games where developers keep adding content and fixing bugs for many years after "release" Just because Bethsoft didn't use Steam marketing lingo verbatim doesn't mean they aren't seeing the massive trend in gaming that has been going on for years. thank you for listening to my ted talk

No, I think it's more they get people to pay them money to test their product instead of paying a team of QA people.

Money.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Disengenuous horseshit.

revwinnebago
Oct 4, 2017

Except this post is completely true and relevant.

We live in a world where you can release a game that doesn't even let players access it on day one, and people will still defend you since "I'm sure this will be fixed in a future patch".

Every day.

Further from God.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm not saying that a developer can't sell an unfinished game and then finish it later. Obviously they can, and it's a perfectly okay thing to do when done correctly. This wasn't. Here are two objective truths about fallout 76:

1. It was advertised as a finished game and priced at $60, the going rate for a finished triple A game. This is undeniable.
2. It was released in an unfinished state. This is the crux of your argument for why the game is acceptable, so don't try to argue against this now.

Both of these things are true, which means the game was a bait-and-switch. A scam. If you can think of a good, genuine refutation for this, I'd love to hear it. So far the only argument I've heard from you is "I like it, so it's a great product."

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mormonpartyboat posted:

how's the price increase a user interface fix?

Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice shame on you.

Fool me three times... I wont get fooled again

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ariong posted:

I'm not saying that a developer can't sell an unfinished game and then finish it later. Obviously they can, and it's a perfectly okay thing to do when done correctly. This wasn't. Here are two objective truths about fallout 76:

1. It was advertised as a finished game and priced at $60, the going rate for a finished triple A game. This is undeniable.
2. It was released in an unfinished state. This is the crux of your argument for why the game is acceptable, so don't try to argue against this now.

Both of these things are true, which means the game was a bait-and-switch. A scam. If you can think of a good, genuine refutation for this, I'd love to hear it. So far the only argument I've heard from you is "I like it, so it's a great product."

1. I threw 50 dollars cash on the barrel-head for a beta...
2. Show me a contemporary game without post-release patches.

I just didn't have pants-on-head expectations.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lmao theyre using this game to fix all their engine problems to use for the next elderscrolls

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
*smashing a stimpak into my canvas bag*

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

It's just so believable.

yeah, you're right. first time I believed it for a hot minute, too

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Lol.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

1. I threw 50 dollars cash on the barrel-head for a beta...

Okay, so let me get this straight. In your mind, any game that gets patched after release is a game that was released in an unfinished state? Is that your argument?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 11, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm being sarcastically hyperbolic to mock your entire argument about "releasing an unfinished game" being bait-and-switch. If you didn't know what you were getting into with Fallout 76, pull your head out of your rear end.

Siljmonster posted:

lmao theyre using this game to fix all their engine problems to use for the next elderscrolls

Totally, and I'm looking forward to multiplayer TES on this scale too. I loving hate MMOs and MMO culture, but these hybrid MMO lites are scratching an itch without being WTS LFG spamfests full of a bunch of tryhard progamer wannabes and Chinese gold farmers.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 11, 2018

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

telltale's the walking dead: the final season

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Powershift posted:

Buy poo poo in the atomic shop

Nothing you can buy in the Atom shop actually impacts anything but cosmetics, though? If you could buy ammo or resource packs the nerfs would make sense (and be scummy as gently caress) but this don't track

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
:lol: a patch is completely different from an unfinished game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Totally, and I'm looking forward to multiplayer TES on this scale too. I loving hate MMOs and MMO culture, but these hybrid MMO lites are scratching an itch without being WTS LFG spamfests full of a bunch of tryhard progamer wannabes and Chinese gold farmers.

Absolutely not. Game patches are a good tool to use when a bug which needs to be fixed is discovered post-release. Having this tool does not make it okay to knowingly include these bugs in your product.

Also, I'm a little confused. Before you were saying that plenty of games are released in early access, so it's okay that this one was too. Now you're saying that just because this game is having features patched in doesn't mean it was released in an unfinished state. Do you believe that this game was released in an unfinished state or not?

quote:

I'm being sarcastically hyperbolic to mock your entire argument about "releasing an unfinished game" being bait-and-switch. If you didn't know what you were getting into with Fallout 76, pull your head out of your rear end.

So, how exactly is it unreasonable to expect a game to not randomly disconnect you from the servers, causing you to lose progress? Or spawning invisible enemies you can't kill? If that's acceptable, what isn't acceptable? Furthermore, why should I have expected those things? This is a full-price game from a publisher which has released functional multiplayer games before. They even specifically said that they had pulled developers from all over the company to make it, presumably including developers from Zenimax, creators of TESO. I don't think it's foolish to expect it to at least be playable.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 11, 2018

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
its free quality assurance

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I mean, I guess expecting a Fallout title released by Bethesda to not be a complete piece of poo poo is a "pants on head" expectation.

Zirak
Oct 17, 2018

Tei posted:

Space has been underused everywhere in all pop culture creations. Maybe only Star Trek has done something interesting for it, and only because the writters where forced to made up poo poo every week and they themselves where bored to repeat tropes, so they where forced to invent new ones.

Pop culture have draw a straight line and explore everything in that line, but beyond that line theres a gigantic universe of ideas to explore in this setting.

A idiot writter could accidentally find himself lost in the setting and have something more interesting to say than your average space movie.

Yeah, that's true - I feel that argument can be used for a lot of settings and for entertainment in general where there's very little appetite to take risks to explore new themes and ideas. Bethesda seems to embody it quite nicely with Fallout, though. It didn't really hit me until now that Fallout 3 recycled a lot of content from the first two games as I had never played them before I played Fallout 3.

Capilarean posted:

Not many mods for those AFAIK, but yeah, vanilla is the way to go. Maybe for FO2 you might consider using the mod that alters the Temple of trials starting area, since that is just dire, but you can power through.

Thanks! I'll just jump in un-modded, then. :D

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Ariong posted:

So, how exactly is it unreasonable to expect a game to not randomly disconnect you from the servers, causing you to lose progress? ..... I don't think it's foolish to expect it to at least be playable.

I'm pretty sure they'll just say again that it's a Fallout game and you should know what you're getting, essentially. fallout is synonymous with "incomplete". Alpha 76

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ariong posted:

Absolutely not. Game patches are a good tool to use when a bug which needs to be fixed is discovered post-release. Having this tool does not make it okay to knowingly include these bugs in your product.

Also, I'm a little confused. Before you were saying that plenty of games are released in early access, so it's okay that this one was too. Now you're saying that just because this game is having features patched in doesn't mean it was released in an unfinished state. Do you believe that this game was released in an unfinished state or not?

I'm saying you are confusing marketing lingo with reality.

Ariong posted:

So, how exactly is it unreasonable to expect a game to not randomly disconnect you from the servers, causing you to lose progress? Or spawning invisible enemies you can't kill? If that's acceptable, what isn't acceptable? Furthermore, why should I have expected those things? This is a full-price game from a publisher which has released functional multiplayer games before. They even specifically said that they had pulled developers from all over the company to make it, presumably including developers from Zenimax, creators of TESO. I don't think it's foolish to expect it to at least be playable.

You edited your post. I haven't had those issues. From my perspective, apart from a few graphical and duplication glitches, this has been a playable, functional, and fun game. Do you understand why I don't give a poo poo about forum posts complaining about bugs that I never experience firsthand?

edit: ↓↓↓ Also I love it when the metagaming theorycrafters get hosed by "bugs" like that. Enough salt to feed all of Caeser's legions for an eternity. ↓↓↓

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 11, 2018

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Apparently if you have the carnivore or herbivore mutations you cant receive mutations from the Enclave serums. Like, you can buy them and then take it, but you wont actually receive the mutation, you'll just receive the diminished negative effects.

Those mutations cost 4k caps each lol.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

i flunked out posted:

Apparently if you have the carnivore or herbivore mutations you cant receive mutations from the Enclave serums. Like, you can buy them and then take it, but you wont actually receive the mutation, you'll just receive the diminished negative effects.

Those mutations cost 4k caps each lol.

It sounds like that was fixed in this patch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I feel like this game needs to patch out power armor. The game feels like it'd be unplayable if they did, but power armor totally making the armor system obsolete by like level 25 seems not a good plan. It's not even like weight makes it a good idea to have a set of armor and a set of power armor to switch situationally, everything is so heavy just using power armor in every situation and not bringing armor is the right choice in every single situation the second you get even a power armor frame and like, one part