Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
https://www.cbr.com/batman-atheism-tom-king-response/

That got walked back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

That got sales pitched. 'I didn't read it that way?' Dude you wrote it. You know what you meant to say, you just want more people to buy it. Good on you for selling and all but yeah, no.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Oracle posted:

That got sales pitched. 'I didn't read it that way?' Dude you wrote it. You know what you meant to say, you just want more people to buy it. Good on you for selling and all but yeah, no.

Maybe they're just gonna go even more hardcore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K5PGWZ0DWI

Nobody seemed to give a poo poo about Christ Joker in Batman: Damned, so might as well have fun with it.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

I didn’t read that as him being atheist at all - I read it as him saying what he needed to say to convince the jurors to do what he wanted them to do.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Latest Justice League may be one of my favorite Joker stories ever. He just checkmates the entire Legion of Doom plus a giant chunk of the villain community "just" to let Lex know that he loving "can" and that the Batman Who Laughs is even more dangerously competent. This is what happens when he gets mad and super competent. Don't gently caress with the Joker. It doesn't matter who you are, what your name is, or how many high-tier threats are in your crew. It's also a good mirror to Batman also finding a way to beat the Legion of Doom with no arms and legs, just guts and scary levels of competency.

The Batman Who Laughs is still ridiculous and kinda bad in a super edgy 90s way. But I'll stick with it. Great run so far. But....I'm also not jaded yet on comics.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
The entire universe conspiring itself to make Batman and Joker the bestest at everything is what I've hated about both of them for years.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah the Jokers biggest problem is the only way for people to show him as a threat is for him to be super competent. Instead of unpredictable and arbitrary.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

The entire universe conspiring itself to make Batman and Joker the bestest at everything is what I've hated about both of them for years.

While I do love the issue and Scott Snyder has been great, I have to second this post. I mean, if you think about it, Lex Luthor should actually be the more competent one. He's perfectly sane, a genius, and is the one who more often deals with Cosmic and hirelevel threats. Actually is kind of weird to think that Joker and Batman are so good at dealing with such individuals when you remember that they primarily deal with Mafia level thugs. Like, if you strip away all the Fanboy love for the characters, it doesn't logically make sense that they are so use and so much better than everyone else at dealing it with such high-level threats, especially the Joker who isn't even regularly on a team that deals with such threats.

I'm actually go so far as to say I think this overhype is actually detrimental to the characters. The reason everyone loves these characters, and some Fanboy poo poo on other Heroes, is because they have no powers and that they're normal people. Well, normal people can't pull this poo poo off. Like, it's arguable that they're more overpowered then any other hero just because of how much writers will bend reality to make them the best at everything. And, when you're the best at everything, you do start to get kind of boring. Which is ironic because that's usually why people say Batman is better than Superman, because Superman so powerful that he's boring. But frankly, at this point, I think Batman is way more overpowered than Superman.

Recent events have made Batman a little less bat God, but I've been reading some Grant Morrison books from the 90s and it's in full effect there.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Frankly I don't care if it make Joker too competent, I love any story that clowns on Luthor. He is so great to watch lose.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Why would you even put the Joker on your team unless you wanted someone there to betray you in the eleventh hour?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

TheHan posted:

Why would you even put the Joker on your team unless you wanted someone there to betray you in the eleventh hour?

Look at the final page of Final Crisis. Alexander is murdered by the Joker (and the real Lex Luthor.)

The reason the Joker kills him is specifically because the Secret Society didn't him to be a part of it.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

TheHan posted:

In the Justice League comic Lex says that he sees Joker as the Pinnacle of humanity or something like that. Maybe he bought into that hyper sanity thing that I think Morrison floated around ages ago.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I think one time Luthor says that it's better to invite the Joker than have him find out that you didn't.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think one time Luthor says that it's better to invite the Joker than have him find out that you didn't.

That’s was in Infinite Crisis. You let the Joker play in your Injustice League.

Unrelated, but it’s kind of awesome to have Tom King Batman, Grant Morrison Green Lantern, and Geoff Johns Shazam all on the same day.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Covok posted:

I'm going to take this moment to remind everyone that the judeo Christian islamic God is confirmed to exist in the DC Universe and is referred to as the presence. I was just reading JLA by Grant Morrison so I just read the story where they fought the angels.

I like the issue where Zauriel is getting tossed out of a convent after having an argument with the Mother Superior and at one point they have the exchange:

"But it's true, I swear!"
"Angels do not swear!"
"What? Who says?"
"It is written!"
"But where is it written?"
"..."
<slams door>

And then he explains (to J'onn?) that he was explaining that humans shouldn't assign a human gender to God because God is beyond human comprehension.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Covok posted:

I'm actually go so far as to say I think this overhype is actually detrimental to the characters. The reason everyone loves these characters, and some Fanboy poo poo on other Heroes, is because they have no powers and that they're normal people. Well, normal people can't pull this poo poo off. Like, it's arguable that they're more overpowered then any other hero just because of how much writers will bend reality to make them the best at everything. And, when you're the best at everything, you do start to get kind of boring. Which is ironic because that's usually why people say Batman is better than Superman, because Superman so powerful that he's boring. But frankly, at this point, I think Batman is way more overpowered than Superman.

Recent events have made Batman a little less bat God, but I've been reading some Grant Morrison books from the 90s and it's in full effect there.
One of my parlor games with pals who liked comics for a while was to survey all the really specific idiosyncratic factors that had to happen for Batman to come about as Batman vs. Superman.

Superman only requires a few steps, they are just fantastical ones. But it's fiction, right? So he's sent to Earth, he has super-powers, but he's not fundamentally more moral or good than Mr. Rogers or Norman Borlaug; he just has the power of Super-Powers instead of crop breeding or public television. So you really only need to have two issues: a guy with super-powers can exist, and that person can be a good person.

Batman needs like twelve things to cut his way; leaving aside any advanced ninja assassin training or whatever, he has to be exposed to a particular trauma, fracture in a particular way from that trauma, have the fortitude to train himself up as Batman and have all the resources to let himself do it, and also not have any critical flaws or "realistic" issues along the way. This only becomes slightly easier if you would consider a benchwarming super-detective or a guy in Iron Man-style armor to "count" as Batman.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Martian Manhunger tho

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

^burtle posted:

Martian Manhunger tho

This is the name of J'onn's branded canned sloppy joe mix

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
The way I see it is that Batman's (and Joker's) power isn't that he's a human powered by technical gadgets, skill, and genius. His power is that he's The Best in the universe at what he does. With all the privileges, rights, and bullshit that comes with it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Dishwasher posted:

The way I see it is that Batman's (and Joker's) power isn't that he's a human powered by technical gadgets, skill, and genius. His power is that he's The Best in the universe at what he does. With all the privileges, rights, and bullshit that comes with it.
Well, Infinite Crisis basically happened because of Batman's personal issues, and I thought it kind of sucked, so for that reason I think there's a limit on how far you should take Batman's "The Best, But Also Sad Orphan" power suite.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, Infinite Crisis basically happened because of Batman's personal issues, and I thought it kind of sucked, so for that reason I think there's a limit on how far you should take Batman's "The Best, But Also Sad Orphan" power suite.
I know I'm a broken record but I kind of love how the narrative of that is "Look Batman, you've got to learn to let love into your heart and trust people! Don't let a few little hiccups like

-Your JLA teammates holding you down and brainwashing you so you'd forget they're lobotomizing supervillains
-Your best friend from childhood re-entering your life only to have created an elaborate ruse to murder and replace you, implicating several of your friends in the conspiracy
-Dick Grayson publicly renouncing you and working with Deathstroke
-Jason Todd coming back from the dead and is out to get you
-Tim Drake's dad died because one of your friends was a blabbermouth and his crazy ex-wife hired someone to murder Tim Drake's dad so that she could get laid
-Stephanie Brown stole some of your plans and ignited a deadly gang war behind your back.
-Everyone blame you for the gang war, so a lot of your friends have abandoned you and you're considered an enemy of the GCPD now!
-Oh also the closest thing you have to a mother deliberately let Stephanie die to teach you a lesson.
-Superman being mind controlled into trying to kill you at least three times in the span of a year, sometimes mind controlled by someone you thought was a friend.
-Essentially every single person you know has betrayed you one or more times in the last few months, everyone except trusty Alfred
- ... who was kidnapped by Hush and replaced with Clayface for months

But hey, you're being PARANOID, Batman! Sure, there's this weird "Superboy" around but you've got to trust him! What could possibly go wrong with Superboy Prime and Alexander Luthor? LEARN. TO. LOVE."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've no doubt that you remember it a lot better than I do. I just remember the Identity Crisis brainwashing being the impetus for Batman to create OMAC.

Hm, a post-apoc Elseworld where Batman accidentally created Skynet would be pretty cool.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Halloween Jack posted:

I've no doubt that you remember it a lot better than I do. I just remember the Identity Crisis brainwashing being the impetus for Batman to create OMAC.

Hm, a post-apoc Elseworld where Batman accidentally created Skynet would be pretty cool.

I could've sworn there was a Batman Beyond tie-in with Brother Eye where this happened. I don't remember it's name though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Edge & Christian posted:

I know I'm a broken record but I kind of love how the narrative of that is "Look Batman, you've got to learn to let love into your heart and trust people! Don't let a few little hiccups like

-Your JLA teammates holding you down and brainwashing you so you'd forget they're lobotomizing supervillains
-Your best friend from childhood re-entering your life only to have created an elaborate ruse to murder and replace you, implicating several of your friends in the conspiracy
-Dick Grayson publicly renouncing you and working with Deathstroke
-Jason Todd coming back from the dead and is out to get you
-Tim Drake's dad died because one of your friends was a blabbermouth and his crazy ex-wife hired someone to murder Tim Drake's dad so that she could get laid
-Stephanie Brown stole some of your plans and ignited a deadly gang war behind your back.
-Everyone blame you for the gang war, so a lot of your friends have abandoned you and you're considered an enemy of the GCPD now!
-Oh also the closest thing you have to a mother deliberately let Stephanie die to teach you a lesson.
-Superman being mind controlled into trying to kill you at least three times in the span of a year, sometimes mind controlled by someone you thought was a friend.
-Essentially every single person you know has betrayed you one or more times in the last few months, everyone except trusty Alfred
- ... who was kidnapped by Hush and replaced with Clayface for months

But hey, you're being PARANOID, Batman! Sure, there's this weird "Superboy" around but you've got to trust him! What could possibly go wrong with Superboy Prime and Alexander Luthor? LEARN. TO. LOVE."

Alfred is the only person who has never betrayed Bruce.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

good day for a bris posted:

I could've sworn there was a Batman Beyond tie-in with Brother Eye where this happened. I don't remember it's name though.

Isn't this just Future's End?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Covok posted:

We're all trying to forget that happened

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Covok posted:

In one story in Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader he turns out to have been the Joker all along.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Covok posted:

I haven't read it, but it occurs to me that they already did an Apokolips-infused Skynet scenario in Morrison's JLA anyway.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Covok posted:

That's the one!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Covok posted:

I don't want to have to think about the Outsider today but here we are.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is Future's End the one where Batman is eventually just chilling in Metatron's chair?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

MetaBat is one of the high points of Justice League: Darkseid War.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Covok posted:

Right, and in the ~2 year publication period prior to Infinite Crisis, a period in which Batman was betrayed/felt betrayed by Superman, Wonder Woman, Hal Jordan, the entire Justice League, Dick Grayson, Jason Todd, Tim Drake, Stephanie Brown, Leslie Tompkins, Jim Gordon, the GCPD, Sasha Bordeaux, the United States Government (as run by Lex Luthor), Catwoman, Harold, Tommy Elliott, Maxwell Lord, Barbara Gordon, and probably several other people I am forgetting:

Alfred spent like six months tied up by Hush who was gaslighting Batman trying to convince him that he (Hush) was Thomas Wayne back from the dead and out to destroy his son, while Clayface pretended to be a vengeful traitor Alfred.

The problem with Batman for the past 20-30 years (up to and including the current runs) is that one of the stories everyone wants to tell is "Batman you've got to stop being so paranoid!" while simultaneously giving him the most motivation of maybe any character outside of Number 6 to be paranoid.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Alfred has never betrayed Batman but I think it was around/after the Officer Down event where Alfred quit.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Space Fish posted:

MetaBat is one of the high points of Justice League: Darkseid War.

Cool, is there anything vital to read first for context. I'm usually pretty good about just going with the flow, but I've read very, very little New 52 stuff before rebirth.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The lasting legacy of Future's End is a single ongoing that occasioanlly forgets the whole thing ever happened.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Cool, is there anything vital to read first for context. I'm usually pretty good about just going with the flow, but I've read very, very little New 52 stuff before rebirth.

Give a glance at Crisis on Infinite Earths to get to know the Anti-Monitor, and maybe check out the first Geoff Johns Justice League arc for them meeting Darkseid for the first time.
I think there was stuff with Superwoman and Ultraman, but I wouldn't advise anyone read Forever Evil, though JL was quite good between there and Darkseid War with Lex on the team and such.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~

Teenage Fansub posted:

Give a glance at Crisis on Infinite Earths to get to know the Anti-Monitor, and maybe check out the first Geoff Johns Justice League arc for them meeting Darkseid for the first time.
I think there was stuff with Superwoman and Ultraman, but I wouldn't advise anyone read Forever Evil, though JL was quite good between there and Darkseid War with Lex on the team and such.

My favorite part of Forever Evil will always be the page of Ultraman huffing Kryptonite and declaring "I'M THE STRONGEST AGAIN." It's just so... goofy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Argue posted:

In one story in Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader he turns out to have been the Joker all along.

Also, I think I actually remember that Alfred died in the pre-crisis universe and then became an evil monster before being saved. So I don't know if that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001