Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

I think the slave markets are working too well - the AI is seems to be buying slaves the instant they come up on the market so they're just there for a flash.

Is there any downside to selling slaves? I'm playing a xenophobe run and it's way easier because I can just enslave and instantly sell the pops of the planets I conquer instead of being forced to genocide them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

mormonpartyboat posted:

Piracy protection should also somewhat scale with fleet power rather than just hull size to impart a feel of the empire growing and needing more might to sustain itself. And likewise there should be a heavier emphasis on trade goods rather than minerals and energy in normal systems to make controlling and managing your space feel meatier. And there should be techs that specifically increase trade value from stations similar to and separate from the mining station/research station ones. And patrol routes need a better UI and and and

There's a lot of things that would need to change if they're going to commit to murdering deathballs and replacing them with a distributed fleet idea, I just didn't bother going through all the nits vOv
There's a lot of events that would make more sense generating trade or alloy deposits over there current energy or minerals. The big problem is that more trade deposits (both from events and basic galaxy generation) would negatively impact hivenminds a lot. Could just give hive minds .1 energy, minerals, and food from trade deposits and they strip these so called "valuables" for parts and food.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

TalonDemonKing posted:

What's everyone's map settings?

Medium (600), 12 ai, 4 advanced start, admiral, no scaling. Most everything else default, primitives up a bit.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I read the guide on combat computers in the OP but is there any general rule for ratios of ship types (particularly early-mid game)? I used to follow the old rule of 1 BB-2 CA-2DD-3 Corv but I am not sure if that is actually relevant to modern Stellaris anymore!

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Partly self-promotion, but for those situations mentioned where a planet has good modifiers and few districts, or you can’t fill out a resource planet properly are almost entirely the reason I made this mod. The two buildings add a districts worth of jobs for a not insignificant but not overbearing upkeep cost. Gives you a little bit more flexibility + growth potential.

Mazz posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1588005640

Building mod for anyone who is interested, as said it adds repeatable buildings for minerals/power that adds +2 jobs for 4 upkeep of the opposite material.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
There’s probably no way Ecumenopoleis don’t get nerfed in their current state. They’re simply That Good.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Splicer posted:

There's a lot of events that would make more sense generating trade or alloy deposits over there current energy or minerals. The big problem is that more trade deposits (both from events and basic galaxy generation) would negatively impact hivenminds a lot. Could just give hive minds .1 energy, minerals, and food from trade deposits and they strip these so called "valuables" for parts and food.

Honestly, while I get that gestalt consciousnesses might not have much use for internal trade, they should still be able to generate trade value via external trade. Also non-genocidal gestalt consciousnesses should totally be valid targets for normal megacorps, there's no reason why Zorg Industries couldn't set up a branch office to sell weapons to the Fuzzy Wuzzy Collective Mind.

EDIT: I'm also of the opinion that gestalt consciousnesses should have ethics, or at least an ethic. There is plenty of room for Xenophile Hive Minds, Pacifist Machine Empires, and so on.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 11, 2018

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Magil Zeal posted:

I don't think it's related to pathfinding because not everybody seems to encounter it, but it's basically on any speed at a certain point in the game (reports vary), the game will briefly freeze for a second or two every "tick" or so. Most reports are that the problem becomes worse the later in the game you go.

I was experiencing stuttering using fastest on an 800 star galaxy at start of the game. It progressively got worse until the contingency showed up and then got dramatically worse around 50 years later, to the point where at normal speed the game would hang for one or two seconds every single day.

I used to play 800 star galaxies and get good to acceptable performance all the way through so I'm not sure what's going on.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can't imagine playing 2.2 on anything other than small .25 hab maps. The outliner is so bloated, sectors don't work, so I'm constantly having to scroll through a massive list of planets, fleets, and starbases to notice what's going on. By the time you're up to 12 planets the management of them becomes a serious chore and little things creep up on you like forgetting to turn a single robot factory off an realizing 50 years later that planet now has 20 unemployed robots on it then spending the time to send those out to other planets. Or forgetting you had to turn off a ton of buildings/district jobs in order to force pops to work a certain key building you needed on a conquered planet and now you can't remember which one that was so need to hunt through all your planets population tabs expanding the jobs on each one to see who has their jobs turned off...

I'm still trying to figure out the new growth system and how species ties into it all. I've played with the species growth system numbers but I'm not quite sure what they all do exactly and how they play into the system. For instance, how exactly does immigration work? I'm a 100% human empire with no unemployment and lots of free housing so none of my planets are producing any immigration pressure. I conquered a horribly managed AI planet full of aliens who were short on housing and jobs and suddenly I noticed on most of my human worlds the next pop to grow was one of these aliens. I know it wasn't the self-balancing demographics since I turned that off. In fact I set all the settings to be as close to "realistic" as possible, everyone should be growing in proportion.

Obviously though the immigration pressure from this one alien planet was enough to flip the growth on a bunch of planets, but how exactly is that tracked? Does the game actually remember the exact species of every point of immigration?

Once I had the alien planet's economy properly collectivized and exploitation as an institution was destroyed, the immigration seemed to stop. This feels fine and good. But I really wish you could mouse over a growing pop and see WHY that pop is growing. Show me the math/weights like "human: +5 for same species on planet, blorg: +1 from same species on planet, +2 from immigration pressure"

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I wish the game gave you more information on the actual benefit of commercial and research pacts before you agreed to them, now that they cost influence to maintain and can't simply be spammed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

How are you guys dealing with Consumer goods? No matter who I play as I am having a terrible time keeping up with them?

ZypherIM posted:

Medium (600), 12 ai, 4 advanced start, admiral, no scaling. Most everything else default, primitives up a bit.
Only 12 AI? I do 18 and my galaxy still feels empty sometimes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

How are you guys dealing with Consumer goods? No matter who I play as I am having a terrible time keeping up with them?

Change your trade policy to Consumer Benefits to materialize them out of the ether.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

I can't imagine playing 2.2 on anything other than small .25 hab maps.

My latest game is in a huge galaxy with 2x habitibility :v: It's pretty fun at least until it starts to stutter and lag.

The Bramble posted:

I wish the game gave you more information on the actual benefit of commercial and research pacts before you agreed to them, now that they cost influence to maintain and can't simply be spammed.

I believe it does for commercial pacts now, though I'm unsure how to check on it after you sign it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Stop building unity buildings and frontier clinics as your first buildings on all your new colonies, he said to himself.

Turn off the wartime economy policy and turn on the consumer goods trade policy. Also with the new alloy buff on the beta patch you can afford to drop a second civilian industries on your homeworld.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Only 12 AI? I do 18 and my galaxy still feels empty sometimes.

18 on medium? That is literally the max possible. 12 is around 75% on the slider, it works out fairly well with a medium galaxy as a base. If you're worried about running into dudes early, make sure you have neighbor spawns on, and I think clustered starts should encourage you having multiple nearby AIs.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

If you get the First League event chain, there's a free 25 slot ecumenopolis at the end of that and just god drat did that fix every problem my nascent empire was having.

More realistically, switching Trade Policy to Consumer Benefits helps a lot, as does just accepting the net negative and trading with AI nations or the market to build a solid stockpile every now and again. Build Civilian Industries as needed, build fewer things that eat consumer goods, and keep an eye for a good planet to make into a consumer manufacturing center (like say a sweet size 25 ecumenopolis). Also if you're a fanatic egalitarian Shared Burdens is good. It might not have the same happiness boost as Utopian Abundance or whatever but in exchange everyone only uses .4 consumer goods.

Hopefully Shared Burden gets a buff at some point though, like more bonus happiness or pops demote down the stratum faster.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 11, 2018

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Splicer posted:

Stop building unity buildings and frontier clinics as your first buildings on all your new colonies, he said to himself.

If you're a bunch of robots, you should build robot factories first on all your planets instead of network nodes. :downs:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

TGLT posted:

or pops demote down the stratum faster.

utopian abundance should also totally get this, if it doesn't already.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The weighting for techs that exploit rare resources (motes, gasses, crystals) seems to not be particularly well thought out. I keep getting the techs for the buildings that require the resources long before I find those resources, and then when I do find them, the techs for actually mining them never show up.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Truga posted:

There is a perk in the harmony tree that cuts the time to move down the stratum by 50% as well.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

The weighting for techs that exploit rare resources (motes, gasses, crystals) seems to not be particularly well thought out. I keep getting the techs for the buildings that require the resources long before I find those resources, and then when I do find them, the techs for actually mining them never show up.

That's not entirely out of the realm of realism.

Year 2100: "we figured out that this theoretical material would be super nice for industrial purposes"
2150: "we figured out how to synthesize small quantities of that theoretical material!"
2250: "hey, we can kinda mass-produce those weird crystals now"
2300: "oh hey turns out that if a nickel-iron asteroid passes too close to the event horizon of a black hole but gets ejected instead of consumed, the intense gravitational physics causes those weird crystals to form. We know this because we found some!"

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

it sucks rear end frankly, i had a gas and a crystal system under my thumb in the first 20 years and i did not get the tech to show up until over 20 years past it. I dont know but perhaps they should be marked techs when you find them similar to living metal?

Zurai posted:

That's not entirely out of the realm of realism.

Year 2100: "we figured out that this theoretical material would be super nice for industrial purposes"
2150: "we figured out how to synthesize small quantities of that theoretical material!"
2250: "hey, we can kinda mass-produce those weird crystals now"
2300: "oh hey turns out that if a nickel-iron asteroid passes too close to the event horizon of a black hole but gets ejected instead of consumed, the intense gravitational physics causes those weird crystals to form. We know this because we found some!"

living metal is researchable when you find it, treat it like that

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Sloober posted:

it sucks rear end frankly, i had a gas and a crystal system under my thumb in the first 20 years and i did not get the tech to show up until over 20 years past it. I dont know but perhaps they should be marked techs when you find them similar to living metal?

living metal is researchable when you find it, treat it like that

Totally fair, I was mostly being flippant.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Mazz posted:

Partly self-promotion, but for those situations mentioned where a planet has good modifiers and few districts, or you can’t fill out a resource planet properly are almost entirely the reason I made this mod. The two buildings add a districts worth of jobs for a not insignificant but not overbearing upkeep cost. Gives you a little bit more flexibility + growth potential.
thanks for this

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure the 2nd tier forges/fabricators can show up in your first round of techs, which just seems wrong. You probably shouldn't see those until you've at least discovered the relevant resource, or a trade enclave.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
"Betcha we could make a cool new alloy factory if we had this entirely theoretical exotic material."

"Wow! Is it more efficient?"

"God, no. It just fits more people inside the building."

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Man sometimes I *really* like finding a FE by me. My positioning this game has 4 directions that keep going, so having a FE clog one up is a godsend.

Galaxy gen talk: forgot to mention I play 2-arm spirals.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Truga posted:

Absolutely. It's a bit weird that people are as reluctant to accept jobs at a "lower stratum" as they are in say a stratified economy. Utopian Abundance/Shared Burdens should have something like a 25% or 50% bonus to demotion, since materially and politically you're not losing anything, and the Shared Burden civic should be another 25% or 50% due to a philosophical commitment to absolute egalitarianism.

ZypherIM posted:

There is a perk in the harmony tree that cuts the time to move down the stratum by 50% as well.

It's nice, but it can still take a while for pops to demote. Got a few unemployed leaders that take like a year or some poo poo on my planets. Or well, the one ecumenopolis I ship all unemployed people off to at this point.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Clarste posted:

"Betcha we could make a cool new alloy factory if we had this entirely theoretical material."

"Wow! Is it more efficient?"

"if we use dark matter we can create a building that can hold TEN WHOLE PEOPLE instead of our blase FIVE"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Clarste posted:

Yeah this is a really weird thing for me too. Technological advancement should be all about making labor more efficient, so that you can have more people doing other things like researching or producing culture. Instead it's kind of the exact opposite?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I guess that's another "are you talking about real life or the game?" post for me.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

By the way, I don't think the game EVER tells you this for anything except Terraforming Gasses and Living Metal Construction, but when you get your first income of each of the rare materials, new edicts open up in the edicts menu which use them. I didn't know about this until I opened up the menu to run the Living Metal megastructure build time edict and realized there were like 25 edicts I didn't know existed.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah this is a really weird thing for me too. Technological advancement should be all about making labor more efficient, so that you can have more people doing other things like researching or producing culture. Instead it's kind of the exact opposite?

"My dudes what if we put a research lab on top of this research lab? We could fit twice as many of us!" "I dunno." "We could vape twice as much." "Aww hell yeah."

Zurai posted:

By the way, I don't think the game EVER tells you this for anything except Terraforming Gasses and Living Metal Construction, but when you get your first income of each of the rare materials, new edicts open up in the edicts menu which use them. I didn't know about this until I opened up the menu to run the Living Metal megastructure build time edict and realized there were like 25 edicts I didn't know existed.

Oh yeah, there's a shitload of really nice edicts that make you do the wars better. It can be a great way to make up for a small disparity in fleet strength.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

There’s probably no way Ecumenopoleis don’t get nerfed in their current state. They’re simply That Good.

eh - I see them like other megaprojects. I mean, if you have an empire that can build a Dyson Sphere or Science Nexus you've won already anyway. Why not have fun?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Zurai posted:

Yeah there's a 50% reduction in terraforming time edict in there that I didn't notice until I'd already terraformed like 8 or 9 planets :doh:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Oh hey the bunketbot scraping rewards are updated. Instead of 100 minerals, its 100 alloys.. and 50 motes and 50 crystals. I think this is the first time I'm ever not going to take the research option off it.

Also, hive mind bonus: no penalty to growth on a colony. :getin:
+25% hive mind, +25% from spawning pool, +33% from food policy, +10% exploration perk, +10% first green tech, +10% drone campaign.
I actually passed on +10% from racial traits, took +20% amenities instead. Getting a nice boost to production from high stability from high amenities.

Suggestion for alloy costs: reduce science and construction ship costs to 50 or 75 at least.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Lum_ posted:

eh - I see them like other megaprojects. I mean, if you have an empire that can build a Dyson Sphere or Science Nexus you've won already anyway. Why not have fun?

they're not, ecus are ridiculously easy to make. the primary resource is time, considering a) how long it takes to fill a planet with city districts, and b) the 3600 days for conversion to ecu itself, since they use minerals and not alloys, and it's easy to buy a poo poo ton of minerals or have the capacity to produce them yourself

e.

also almost all the old strategic bonuses have been moved over to edicts on motes/crystals/gasses

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Fister Roboto posted:

That's because the only weighting for the rare resource exploitation techs is negative weight to stop them showing up if you haven't encountered them. There is no positive weighting for them at all.

And yeah, Ecumenopoli costing minerals is insane when everything remotely like it costs alloys in huge amounts.

Fister Roboto posted:

Technology does make labor more efficient, that's what all the +x% output techs are. Which exist for everything from physical labor, to space mining to research.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 11, 2018

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

TalonDemonKing posted:

What's everyone's map settings?

Small, default in most areas, captain, no scaling. I'm still a coward and slightly lost to a point. I haven't quite touched a Normal Empire as yet since the initial playthrough messing around, nor have I touched Megacorps at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Make Ecumenopolises take like 50k minerals. Now at least you have to devote a bunch of building/starbase slots to storing the minerals to pave the entire planet. And with the beta branch's 2:1 mineral:alloy production ratio that puts it in the realm of other megastructures for cost.