Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Sonic’s Weirdly Human Thighs was my favourite emo band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Like i just don't get it, even beyond them obviously trying to make him more realistic to fit into the human world.

Sonic has probably one of the absolute best character designs of any video game character. Just use it!!! Sonic has basically two big strengths and that is his character design and the music in his games is almost always amazing. I think his character design alone is what has kept him relevant for so long cause god knows he has had plenty of trash games. Hell I would've settled for a Detective Pikachu style thing where Sonic has the same design and proportions as he's supposed to bust just like more realistic fur. His design also lends itself very well to being a fun character to watch from an animation standpoint.

Why

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Calling it now.

Sonic has two eyes.

Riots ensue.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best Sonic cartoon was Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. That's what I saw when I was little and I didn't see SatAM Sonic until I was older, and when I finally did I didn't get why this one was the one people on the Internet had been holding up as the best one for the past decade or so.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Macaluso posted:

Like i just don't get it, even beyond them obviously trying to make him more realistic to fit into the human world.

Sonic has probably one of the absolute best character designs of any video game character. Just use it!!! Sonic has basically two big strengths and that is his character design and the music in his games is almost always amazing. I think his character design alone is what has kept him relevant for so long cause god knows he has had plenty of trash games. Hell I would've settled for a Detective Pikachu style thing where Sonic has the same design and proportions as he's supposed to bust just like more realistic fur. His design also lends itself very well to being a fun character to watch from an animation standpoint.

Why

his silhouette looks like a very muscular human with dwarfism in a furry costume which mostly relies on makeup and hair attachments now

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Also his arms are the wrong color.

I know that's the least of this design's problems, but it's usually an omen for other, more major things going south. (...Though Sonic Boom has some decent comedic writing.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

That silhouette is awful

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh my god I needed that laugh. Holy poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ready for Man-Sonic and the Grinch to gently caress

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I've seen that sonic before, in my darkest nightmares

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Calling it now.

Sonic has two eyes.

Riots ensue.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I didn't consider how weird it was, but this entire time I was expecting them to just use the same model they use for the game, only prettified and with a more vinyl collectable doll texture to him.

But it's not nearly as weird as that.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Like, loving hell. Just have a lightning strike a TV set in a kid's living room during like a weird storm on some special day where like the planets are aligned or some poo poo while they're watching and a cartoon Sonic the Hedgehog comes out of the TV!!!! With his regular cartoon Sonic proportions!!!!!!! This isn't difficult!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Uh, so there was no official sonic the hedgehog movie, so I made it. Well, them. /r/sonicmovie and /r/sonicthehedgehogmovie. Why not?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's funny how you can always tell by these previews if they can't get the basics of the design- one of the few things about Sonic that still just works- right, then it's clearly setting off alarm bells for what else they're going to do wrong.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's funny how you can always tell by these previews if they can't get the basics of the design- one of the few things about Sonic that still just works- right, then it's clearly setting off alarm bells for what else they're going to do wrong.

Hot take upon reading your post: It's more like that people really internalized, knowingly or not, that Sega design document regarding Sonic.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

They said it was just a video game, but I knew better...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Why

Yeah, I remember SMG talking about the brilliance of Sonic's design in the Star Wars thread. A sexless rounded body stimulating a prepubescent child's imagination by constantly shoving chilli dogs into its mouth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
He's basically just a blue spiky Felix The Cat.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Phylodox posted:

Calling it now.

Sonic has two eyes.

Riots ensue.

quote:

Apparently Sonic's eye(s) will also be changed to fit the demands of our mundane world. He's often depicted with one goggle-like giganto-eye, but the filmmakers didn't think that would fly in a live-action film. 
"I don’t think Sega was entirely happy with the eye decision, but these sorts of things you go, 'It’s going to look weird if we don’t do this.' But everything is a discussion, and that’s kind of the goal, which is to only change what’s necessary and stay true to the rest of it," Miller said. "He’s not going to feel like a Pixar character would because I don’t think that’s the right aesthetic to make it feel like part of our world." 

Also "A whole new speed of hero"? It took me awhile to figure out the play on words i assume they are going for (speed substituting for breed?).

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Every game where Sonic talks is bad.

Every game where any character who is not Sonic or Eggman talks is terrible.

This is gonna be worse than any of them.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Is Tails in this one?

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

The Silver Snail posted:

Is Tails in this one?

https://twitter.com/OsakanDestroyer/status/1072269277380538373

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Looking forward to the Ken Penders litigation against this movie.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

ConfusedUs posted:

Every game where Sonic talks is bad.

Every game where any character who is not Sonic or Eggman talks is terrible.

This is gonna be worse than any of them.

wrong, sonic adventure 2 battle is literally the best video game ever created.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
Can't wait for the live action Tails Gets Trolled movie adaptation!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Shadow Hog posted:

Also his arms are the wrong color.

I know that's the least of this design's problems, but it's usually an omen for other, more major things going south. (...Though Sonic Boom has some decent comedic writing.)

https://youtu.be/j6mzBjFtcBc
The Sonic Boom cartoon was the best thing to happen to this stupid dumb property

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I know Ben Schwartz is only doing the voice of Sonic but I would like to imagine that he's actually in the movie, dressed in running shorts and a big Sonic head.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

They could always get whatever that tech was that Andy Serkis used for Mowgli.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hometown Slime Queen posted:

Can't wait for the live action Tails Gets Trolled movie adaptation!

Wreck-It-Ralph 3: Tails Gets Trolled

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Corrosion posted:

They could always get whatever that tech was that Andy Serkis used for Mowgli.

I wanted that movie to be good, but it most certainly is not good.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Pick posted:

I wanted that movie to be good, but it most certainly is not good.

Yeah, I saw it last weekend and I feel like I at least dodged a bullet when my roommates decided we'd just wait until it hit Netflix. That moment where Mowgli gifts the tusk back and several other moments were really funny for the gravitas they didn't have.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
New Sonic looks like a really toned person's Sonic cosplay.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Oh thank loving god, I was afraid my movie depicting a talking blue hedgehog would have unrealistic speeds shown but I'm glad these visionaries are in control.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Next time someone complains about how detective Pikachu looks, show them this and remind them that instead of accepting that it's a cartoon and making it a whimsical noir adventure they could have done this poo poo that tried to take a cartoon hedgehog and sell it to people without imagination.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

I've got the phrase "more realistic, grosser Sonic" caught in my head and I just had this eerie realization:

I think I found our man.

Amorphous Abode fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 11, 2018

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/LixesPrototype/status/1072282124965855234

It's obviously too late to change the character design barring some mass executive panic but what could've been...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/NinEverything/status/1072672974640214018

Can someone make a version of that gif where Danny Devito shakes his head no but at like 10x speed