Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Fellis posted:

I will never publish the Wu-Tang wargame

when's the kickstarter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

The End posted:

I am really curious to play Pax Renaissance, as it's a co-design between him and his brother, and apparently is just as effective as Porforiana in illustrating the carnage that results from all the sorts of behaviours he admires.

Renaissance is wild. The rulebook has a bunch of stuff about how it was really good that bankers were controlling the era from the shadows because it liberated the people and pushed the world out of the dark ages, and then 90% of the games end in Medieval (a bunch of kings conquer their neighbors) or East-West Schism (one religion goes on a holy war and wins) victories.

The enlightened victory that results from forming republics looks manageable on the surface, but can be easily crushed if any of your neighbors have strong kingdoms. The "globalization" victory (which I assume Eklund thinks of as a positive but is clearly colonialism) requires a super specific set of cards to come up in the deck.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I played and enjoyed 18Lilliput. No, it's not 18xx but it's lighter because there's no real stock shenanigans. At the same time, it could easily be at least as mean, since you have to use actions in the game to buy/sell stock and buy trains. In the two player, only one buy/sell action and one purchase train action is available. You can really put the screws on by taking an important action in front of the other player, or take advantage of going twice in a row to make board moves that can't be countered. Each player does get a two 'copy action' cards but there's nine rounds in a two player game so those may go fast. I'm very curious to see how it and Tokyo Metro play with four, both are competitive train games, just like I like 'em :)

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

The End posted:

I am really curious to play Pax Renaissance, as it's a co-design between him and his brother, and apparently is just as effective as Porforiana in illustrating the carnage that results from all the sorts of behaviours he admires.

Matt is Phil's adult son. He's was also involved in the design of Pax Porfiriana, is the sole(?) designer of Pax Transhumanity, and by all accounts less batshit objectivist than his dad.

He's a Tucson local. Don't know him super personally, he never plays at the local stores. But he playtested Meltwater once or twice, and he's got a nifty project in the works called Stationfall that I'd really like to try one of these days.

Mayveena posted:

Thoughts on the proposed Root balance changes?

Best if you read the short list of changes as they include images.

They seem really good, and directly address the problem areas with each faction.

The Marquis has always had trouble because she's very linear and arithmetic in her development, compared to the varying degrees of exponential development for her rivals. So if she gets put behind, she has a lot of trouble catching back up. The more efficient hospitals will make it a lot easier to hang in the midgame, at least on the board control vector.

Meanwhile, the Woodlands were just too bursty. Even with moderate development, Woodlands can threaten a victory rush from around 20 points just on the strength of Organizing out their 3 and 4 point sympathy. A little pumping of the brakes here should keep them more in line with the others.

We've already been playing with the Vagabond changes, and let me tell you, they are worlds better. Punching the vagabond used to feel like a total Sisyphean task, because you were often handing her hostility points and a "free" refresh in the process. Suppressing her is still a chore that no one particularly *wants* to do, but at least it doesn't feel like trying to sweep the porch in a dust storm.

I've never had the chance to play with the Lizards (I don't have the expansion grumble grumble), so I can only judge them on hearsay. But the new Hated Outcast rules should mean that the other factions will need to at least *intentionally* pull the rug out from under the lizards's plans, rather than it just happening incidentally.

Surprised no changes were announced for the Riverfolk, though. I've only played with them one time, but they're scary!

Of course, Leder Games still refuses to announce the most important update: A single box that can hold the next expansion (which will have a whole separate board) together with the base game!

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Does anyone have recommendations for a coop board game with a very small box? Going to be traveling a lot, and want to play. So far I have burgle bros and the one deck dungeon series, and I've liked both.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

foutre posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a coop board game with a very small box? Going to be traveling a lot, and want to play. So far I have burgle bros and the one deck dungeon series, and I've liked both.

Hanabi.

Codenames Duet (for 2p) can fit in a tiny box.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

foutre posted:

The Mind.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sprawlopolis

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:
Thanks for the reccs yall, those seem great. I didn't realize wallet games were such a big thing, going to have to investigate.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Hanabi.

Codenames Duet (for 2p) can fit in a tiny box.

Realized I forgot to list those, but I have and really like both, spot on recommendations.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I do not get the love for Hanabi. I know theres like a pretty serious meta to it, but it didn't seem worth that much investment.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Gejimayu posted:

I do not get the love for Hanabi. I know theres like a pretty serious meta to it, but it didn't seem worth that much investment.

Once you've got a meta going it isn't very interesting anymore. I only really play it if there's at least one person at the table who hasn't played before.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Without a meta it seems too random though. Too much guessing. Shrug.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Gejimayu posted:

figuring out a good move is still challenging with the meta and a cool puzzle. you gotta memorize a lot of clues and negative clues though.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Fellis posted:

I will never publish the Wu-Tang wargame

Beyond the 36th Parallel is real!

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Last call for the 1862 pbf. I've got a three-hander lined up but the more the merrier I say.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Dec 12, 2018

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

golden bubble posted:

Your preferences sound like a description of the judging guidelines for the Spiel des Jahres. Are you secretly a Bavarian?

Well, I never thought about that before, but you've got me thinking that I might be, now! :D haha

Anyway, I've gone through everyone's suggestions and I like what I see! Although after going through them all, I'm mostly interested in Century Spice Road and Azul, though - those two might be big hits with the family.
Which of the CSR games is generally considered the best introduction to the series, if I may ask? I looked up the original, which seems very good! Although it's hard to say, since I have a feeling that the 'tile' aspect of Azul may help make it be slightly more popular with the others.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

My parents loved Azul so much they bought a copy for themselves so they could play 1v1 when I wasn't visiting, which knowing my folks is really saying something.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Which of the CSR games is generally considered the best introduction to the series, if I may ask?

I'd get Golem Edition. The art/theme is unthreatening, has little gems, and generally gives it a little more flavor than the spice cubes.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Azul is a+ and is quite teachable for families, and I can honestly say I will never tire of playing it, though the new version of Azul is also really good.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Christmas came early :cool:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

T-Bone posted:

:aaaaa:

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

T-Bone posted:

Excellent

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

jmzero posted:

I'd get Golem Edition. The art/theme is unthreatening, has little gems, and generally gives it a little more flavor than the spice cubes.

Alright then, thanks! I'll have a squiz after work, so I can take a more thorough look at it

Max posted:

Azul is a+ and is quite teachable for families, and I can honestly say I will never tire of playing it, though the new version of Azul is also really good.

Oh, I just looked it up then - do you mean the reprinted version? Or have they released a sequel, or something? I couldn't seem to find anything, when I googled it just then.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, I just looked it up then - do you mean the reprinted version? Or have they released a sequel, or something? I couldn't seem to find anything, when I googled it just then.

Azul: Stained Glass of Sintra is the recently released sequel.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Papes posted:

Excellent

I'm pretty psyched because they're both theoretically playable without taking up an entire day ala 46 and most of my other 18xxs are huge affairs (30, 44, 54, 2039). CZ seems like it might be playable in a reasonable evening actually.

OE, 17, and China look amazing but I think I'll get a lot of play out of 49/89 if 46 is any indicator (over 20 plays in the past year!).

e: Although I guess 30 can be short if bad things happen, too. They didn't in our first game amazingly enough.

:stare:

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 12, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

T-Bone posted:

I'm pretty psyched because they're both theoretically playable without taking up an entire day ala 46 and most of my other 18xxs are huge affairs (30, 44, 54, 2039). CZ seems like it might be playable in a reasonable evening actually.

OE, 17, and China look amazing but I think I'll get a lot of play out of 49/89 if 46 is any indicator (over 20 plays in the past year!).

e: Although I guess 30 can be short if bad things happen, too. They didn't in our first game amazingly enough.

:stare:

Oh hey where’d you get that nice box and map of C2C? I have the original version with the plain white box and basic map outline.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dogcop made something important

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh hey where’d you get that nice box and map of C2C? I have the original version with the plain white box and basic map outline.

I don't have it, I was just trying to think of other huge 18xxs and holy poo poo

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Can someone describe what 18xx games actually are? From what I've seen, my best guess is "Ticket To Ride designed by an old-school cardboard chit wargamer"

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Honestly I didn’t much like C2C. OE is a lot more enjoyable. I have pics of both in the old ones 18XX thread

PMush Perfect posted:

Can someone describe what 18xx games actually are? From what I've seen, my best guess is "Ticket To Ride designed by an old-school cardboard chit wargamer"
They are route building and stock games where ownership of a company can change hands and the treasury of a company and player-owner cash are separate. Track is shared by all companies so you have to use station tokens to prevent other people from using your track. The route building is more interesting than TTR since it’s much more freeform.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hans? Are we the robber barons?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

PMush Perfect posted:

They are games with a basic stock market and a map. TTR is more or less a Rummy variant and has nothing to do with 18xx besides the set collection part. In 18xx you want to collect as many shares of the powerful companies as possible given the ownership constraints.

Somebody asked why there’s a genre of them in the death thread:

Chill la Chill posted:

It's the amount of design space that's allowed with the blend of stocks and networks the genre provides. The original games were mere skeletons that later designs latched onto. You can have very stock heavy games about market manipulation so it covers all sorts of economics, bonds, dividends schemes and "operational" games that are more area control and focus on building the map. Often the latter will have more limited tracks. The basic layout of the games allow for dynamic movements in stock price (which usually dictates turn order) and you can dump bad companies onto other players and have them pay out of pocket for trains or go bankrupt. So there's lots of levers to pull and sliders to move within the genre and still have unique games that people flock to.

Of course, there's economic games that just do pure sandbox economic games better like Container, or games purely about route-building and logistics that don't even have trains like the great zimbabwe and Neuland. But it's the huge design space in the genre that's created a lot of fans. Sadly, because they don't look so nice and don't have the sales numbers that your typical midweight euro has, you'll never get the art assets and production quality of a "normal board game", but there are artists who do their own spin on things and make them look much nicer. Like this 1849:

It's been having a bit of a resurgence of interest lately. Sometimes you look up on BGG for these "new" games that look fresh and exciting compared to "yet another euro/ameritrash" and you find out these classics are well over 20 years old by this point. 1849 up there, redrawn just a couple years ago but came out in 1998.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Synthbuttrange posted:

:eyepop:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

PMush Perfect posted:

So you have this game where you lay tiles to make train routes, and train routes will score based on the number and value of cities they connect.

Except the railroads aren't the players themselves. Instead, players can invest in the various railroads, buying up shares. The player who has the most shares in a railroad gets to take that railroad's turn for it, but everyone with some shares will get money from the railroad doing well (asterisk), and might be able to take control later.

...orrrr you'll buy some shares in a railroad company, only for the president to raid the company treasury, divest her holdings, and leave you holding onto a deadly money sink of a company. Whoops!

That's basically every 18XX in a nutshell.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Synthbuttrange posted:

Yeah this is basically it. I have very mixed feelings about the genre, but I'd definitely recommend playing 1889 a couple of times to anyone with a mild interest in heavy games. Rules complexity wise, it's much more straight forward than a random Lacerda game.

If you don't like 1889, you won't like the genre.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The most baffling thing about 18xx is that in era with POD services you either have to make your own or find one of the six hand made copies over the past several decades. I honestly see the genre dying as the old guard does because the preservation efforts are about in line with 80s video games. Like Game Crafter or some other service should just have an option to print generic hexes because most of the games use the same iconography and the Keepers of the Map like clearclaw make the die sizes publicly known since they'll pitch a fit if they're off by a gnat's dick.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm not sure there's any cause to say they're dying, they've never been popular. Reasons to be cheerful are GMT dipping their toe in, and Lonny's two successful kickstarters ('Lil' was ks right?). Both of those are more visible to general boardgamers than the 18xx weather report, bringing new people in. As for an archive, even if All Aboard Games collapses, rulebooks are available on third party sites and board18 has the assets and sheets needed.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
It's more alive than when DTG/AAG/GSG didn't exist for certain.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

al-azad posted:

The most baffling thing about 18xx is that in era with POD services you either have to make your own or find one of the six hand made copies over the past several decades. I honestly see the genre dying as the old guard does because the preservation efforts are about in line with 80s video games. Like Game Crafter or some other service should just have an option to print generic hexes because most of the games use the same iconography and the Keepers of the Map like clearclaw make the die sizes publicly known since they'll pitch a fit if they're off by a gnat's dick.

All Aboard Games has a lot of 18xx's for sale, they aren't hand made anymore. GMT has released 1846 and will release 1862, both at affordable price points and decent graphics. There's another company that sells 18xx games whose name escapes me but it's fairly easy to buy a good 18xx if that's what you are looking for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Five years ago there was basically only DTG for games and that's when I submitted an order on their website that still hasn't been fulfilled. Nowadays there's GMT and other companies/KSes that show there's a niche market for the game. It's far from dying it and it's actually picking up steam.