Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Our entire test lab got ransomwared and pulled off the corporate network and has no connection. Lol. Our selenium grid for automated testing liver there but luckily we have a cloud one also .... that just fell over from heavy load. :wellpiss: looks like all those automated promotions are on fire now. I’m really excited for this RCA as I’m not even sure how this impacts other business units we have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Livers falling over from heavy load during automated testing is maybe the most on-point thing ever posted in this thread.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Kashuno posted:

One time to fix a problem with our dev/test SAP system I took it off the domain assuming it had the same local admin login as our other systems. It didn’t and it wasn’t documented anywhere. That was fun

i've had that happen, but took it off the domain to unfuck the trust relation.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I recall production servers that would just randomly disassociate with the domain at a previous gig. I never figured out if it was the sysadmin loving up or the fact that we had servers ranging from Windows Server 2003 up to 2012.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I recall production servers that would just randomly disassociate with the domain at a previous gig. I never figured out if it was the sysadmin loving up or the fact that we had servers ranging from Windows Server 2003 up to 2012.

Windows doesn't just randomly do that so you 100% had an underlying problem, likely human-caused in my experience haha

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oh like a VMWare setup that would randomly set static IPs to DHCP???

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vargatron posted:

I've had this happen with vmware tools updates sometimes when it re-initializes the interface. Most of my stuff is DHCP anyways though so it doesn't matter.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

We had this issue turned out a DC was hosed up..somehow.

We just turned the DC off and never fixed it!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vargatron posted:

I've worked with VMware half my career and never seen that, weird. Either way there you go, underlying problem, it's not Windows!

Also, use DHCP :mrgw:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Y'all are assuming some kind of competency with the sysadmin team that just didn't exist!!!

Somebody decided that DHCP was just too much work to manage. Christ I even took some MCSA training at that job and I had this overwhelming feeling of doom when I learned how hosed poo poo was.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Vargatron posted:

Y'all are assuming some kind of competency with the sysadmin team that just didn't exist!!!

Somebody decided that DHCP was just too much work to manage. Christ I even took some MCSA training at that job and I had this overwhelming feeling of doom when I learned how hosed poo poo was.

So much opportunity you mean.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Anyone continually amazed that no matter how many consultants you throw at a F500 company they won't listen until Gartner says so in some random report.

I've had a few client with had dozen of tenants (contoso.onmicrosoft.com) that's the source the majority of their problems with separate business units spinning them up on the demand because they don't want to wait for IT.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
God I hate Gartner. My manager unironically says to refer to those stupid reports when looking for new software/hardware.

and as I was trying this reply SPEAK OF THE DEVIL

However I will happily take their $25 Visa gift cards for a bullshit review.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Kashuno posted:

https://twitter.com/cfiessinger/status/1072166154561454080

lol Teams is now only beaten by Skype for companies as chat apps go

LOL, this cannot be true, they're lumping in all of the SfB and older clients or the survey is fundamentally flawed.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AlternateAccount posted:

LOL, this cannot be true, they're lumping in all of the SfB and older clients

SfB is reported seperately so that's not it.

quote:

or the survey is fundamentally flawed.

It's a Spiceworks survey, so the demographic is Spiceworks users that have the free time to respond to survey requests.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Given that teams is included with O365 that already have millions of seats sold I believe it.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

Given that teams is included with O365 that already have millions of seats sold I believe it.

Only if they're talking about license. Of people that actually use it, I can't believe it's more than Slack.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
'x users logged into Teams at least once'

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Considering this is a survey and not a Microsoft report, it is "people who self identify as Teams users"

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've worked with VMware half my career and never seen that, weird. Either way there you go, underlying problem, it's not Windows!

Also, use DHCP :mrgw:
It was a VMware tools update that made windows think it was a new NIC. I remember that week, total shitstorm on the internet. We wrote a powershell script that would do something to fix it, can't remember what now.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

adorai posted:

It was a VMware tools update that made windows think it was a new NIC. I remember that week, total shitstorm on the internet. We wrote a powershell script that would do something to fix it, can't remember what now.

Yeah, the vmware tools installer did an 'update' by first uninstalling the old tools, then installing the new ones. This removed and re-added the nic, so it came in as unconfigured. I was lucky enough to catch it with our test setup, and held off on production until an updated tools package was released in a few months.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm new to VMware as of last week. Also use static addressing of servers because reasons. I'm guessing that kind of bug would not change the auto-assigned mac address?

Fixing that is on the to do list, but then so is 'move servers off of public address space'

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

CloFan posted:

I'm new to VMware as of last week. Also use static addressing of servers because reasons. I'm guessing that kind of bug would not change the auto-assigned mac address?

Fixing that is on the to do list, but then so is 'move servers off of public address space'

I just put them in a shame cube until the server is retired or it actually becomes necessary to change them.

I have so much poo poo on public IP ranges that just kind of exist in their own little ACL'd off hell zone. Nothing is ever added to these places but they exist. Converting from static to DHCP is super easy though and you should do that with everything new at the very least.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CloFan posted:

No, the MAC address is set in the config file the hypervisor uses, and the operating system can't change it.

Static or dynamic configuration for servers really depends on what you expect them to do and how they are created. It's not wrong to staticly assign them, it's just the tooling for dynamic configuration is so much better these days that it's kind of foolish not to use it, even if your assignments are reserved. Most services, both client and server, are also much better about accepting changes in IP address as long as DNS is up to date, which greatly narrows the justification for static assignments.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every time I hear about letting dhcp handle servers I die a little inside because I think about the number of manufacturing things we need to have static IPs for

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

And old-rear end HVAC systems that don't even give you the option!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

EoRaptor posted:

No, the MAC address is set in the config file the hypervisor uses, and the operating system can't change it.

Sure it can. That’s how I get free WiFi at airports

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

And friggin' cameras and Ubiquiti's factory resetting to static, what a pain the rear end

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

jaegerx posted:

Sure it can. That’s how I get free WiFi at airports
What horrible airports are making you pay for WiFi?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Aunt Beth posted:

What horrible airports are making you pay for WiFi?

Have you been to Raleigh? Nashville? These lovely small airports suck balls. I waited 20 minutes for cold pizza at Oklahoma City.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Today I am at a horse farm trying to get a Mac to recognize a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. There is a jack russel terrier sitting in my lap, so that makes it okay I guess.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vargatron posted:

Today I am at a horse farm trying to get a Mac to recognize a bluetooth keyboard and mouse. There is a jack russel terrier sitting in my lap, so that makes it okay I guess.

Who the gently caress is that important?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Oh it's just a part of my regular job. I work at a university with a big agricultural program. It's not that big of a priority since the computer hasn't worked for a month, but it's a slow week and it helps to do favors for the external sites (I get free peaches when I go to the peach farm).

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Defenestrategy posted:

How is anyone supposed to get a job these days without knowing someone or having a ridiculous amount of certs and exp?
It's not always the case and listings can be very deceiving; my current job had a surprisingly long laundry list of knowledge/experience requirements which looked exciting to shoot for, passed their tests and interview then lo and behold I've got the job.
I moved from being an underpaid hands-on small business generalist over to an overpaid corporate office bitch, requirements aren't everything as I literally spend most days doing sitting on my rear end doing absolutely gently caress all.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't think I've ever gotten a job where I met the "requirements" of the job posting

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

It’s a cliche at this point, but if you nail every single bullet point in a job description you’re probably going to be over qualified and bored to death within 6 months. Jobs that will stretch you are good.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I've also heard the requirements are just a way for HR to dumpster resumes without looking to hard at them. Is that true?

edit: Thinking about it, there's no reason to not apply to stuff, it's up to HR to filter all the chaff not me.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 12, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I definitely haven't even been close to meeting the listed requirements for my jobs.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Kashuno posted:

Every time I hear about letting dhcp handle servers I die a little inside because I think about the number of manufacturing things we need to have static IPs for

Pretty much all modern manufacturing equipment can take DHCP these days and Cisco/Rockwell industrial switches do port persistent DHCP. Plant guys love it because whatever they plug into that port always gets the same IP without having to gently caress with it and I never get a phone call because the electrician/controls tech doesn't set a subnet mask correctly on a replacement PLC card.

If you are talking about servers manufacturing things point to, just set a reservation.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Pretty much all modern manufacturing equipment can take DHCP these days and Cisco/Rockwell industrial switches do port persistent DHCP. Plant guys love it because whatever they plug into that port always gets the same IP without having to gently caress with it and I never get a phone call because the electrician/controls tech doesn't set a subnet mask correctly on a replacement PLC card.

If you are talking about servers manufacturing things point to, just set a reservation.

Yeah I should try this. The techs from these companies come out and scream about how to not use DHCP and only statics but a reservation may just solve that issue for me.