Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I've always wondered where the engines on a TIE fighter are supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

2001 is my favorite sci-fi movie for realistic depiction of space.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wasn't expecting Jedi Under Siege to be on the live servers yet, but it's available now just the servers are not online yet.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Servers were up for a few minutes, but apparently, story and romance choices were just resetting to the default ones for folks. So, they took them down again.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I mean, if you’re out of fuel and thus can’t accelerate, but the guys chasing you have fuel and thus can accelerate, they’re gonna catch you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dmboogie posted:

I mean, if you’re out of fuel and thus can’t accelerate, but the guys chasing you have fuel and thus can accelerate, they’re gonna catch you

Correct, but this is presented as if the ships are flying in an atmosphere. We know this because one of the medical ships in the rebel fleet loses fuel, slows down, and then eventually goes backwards into the First Order fleet. This wouldn't really happen in space, there's nothing to slow down moving objects with MAYBE few very rare occurring exceptions that we are not entirely sure exist or have an explanation for.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

dmboogie posted:

True, but the stakes are different; the chase would be accelerating to the highest survivable speed and maintaining it for as long as possible, which frankly, would still be solid cinema, but absolutely not Star Wars

The expanse is pretty good about that (the book more than the show but special effects are expensive so I give them a pass)

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

okay yeah those are both fair points! it doesn’t help that it’s paced weirdly to let Finn and Rose gently caress off for half the movie

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Correct, but this is presented as if the ships are flying in an atmosphere. We know this because one of the medical ships in the rebel fleet loses fuel, slows down, and then eventually goes backwards into the First Order fleet. This wouldn't really happen in space, there's nothing to slow down moving objects with MAYBE few very rare occurring exceptions that we are not entirely sure exist or have an explanation for.

Does it slow down? Or do the other ships just continue accelerating (Since their engines are still burning) making it LOOK like it's slowed down?

Now please take a seat for my Powerpoint presentation on what 'Superleia' is actually just a Force Pull and is completely in keeping with the Original Trilogy's portrayal of the nature of the Force.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

But if the ships are constantly accelerating, then inevitably the g-force would crush the crew into paste; unless, of course, a space wizard casts a spell to keep them safe, but since this is never explicitly addressed, we cannot assume it to be true

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The bug found this morning must have been pretty severe as the servers are still down 2 hours later. :/

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Now please take a seat for my Powerpoint presentation on what 'Superleia' is actually just a Force Pull and is completely in keeping with the Original Trilogy's portrayal of the nature of the Force.

I mean, I always assumed this was the case. Were people confused by that? :confused:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I said come in! posted:

The bug found this morning must have been pretty severe as the servers are still down 2 hours later. :/

There was an issue with the auto completion of KOTXX that basically ignored your choices if you'd done the content.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

I mean, I always assumed this was the case. Were people confused by that? :confused:

Well confused in that she should have been super dead because she was exposed to the vacuum of space for at least a couple minutes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Well confused in that she should have been super dead because she was exposed to the vacuum of space for at least a couple minutes.

She subconsciously shielded herself with the force.

Probably.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

At least it leaves open a chance for Vader to still be alive, using the Force to fly away from the Death Star as it explodes, protected by the Force in space, listening to the Ewok music from afar via Force Enhancements.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darth Vader had limited remaining use of the force due to his injuries and his armor. You idiot. You absolute moron.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Darth Vader had limited remaining use of the force due to his injuries and his armor. You idiot. You absolute moron.

But the explosion allowed him to absorb the fire to recharge his Force Points

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Also he devoured the force ghost of Palpatine which was the real reason he looked so badly hosed up - he was stoned out of his loving head on Force juice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Medullah posted:

But the explosion allowed him to absorb the fire to recharge his Force Points

But he respecced as a dps for the Luke boss fight and that’s a tank skill

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just realized that The Old Republic is going to be 7 years old on the 20th.

Mgant
Nov 26, 2005

Best in the West
I hope some of you show up and check out the content. I saw Dullah on the other day but he ignored me : (

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'll be on for sure! I am looking forward to the server coming back up.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Ainsley McTree posted:

There’s a lot of stuff in Star Wars that doesn’t make sense science wise because it is a children’s movie about evil space wizards

THAT SAID, the whole conceit of “when we run out of fuel the empire will catch us” is dumb because there’s no gravity in space and once you build up to your desired speed you can drift forever
What bothered me more than the physics of it was the fact that the concept seemed to be invented entirely to enable the aforementioned interminable chase sequence. The whole affair just struck me as unnecessarily artificial and forced. BUT WHATEVER I'll probably czech out the new patch and stuff because I haven't played any TOR in a while.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Mgant posted:

I hope some of you show up and check out the content. I saw Dullah on the other day but he ignored me : (

Sorry, "playing" for me is usually log on, check GTN sales, log off. I'll play though the new content for sure, probably not till next week though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Servers are back up, restart Steam.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Finished the Ossus story on the Republic side, and I actually liked it quite a bit more than any recent content. They did really well with the supporting characters this time out.

Tau is probably the first time the game's presented the archetypal "warrior" Jedi as anyone more than a corruptible jackass, and I enjoyed the ethical conflicts the writers saddled her with. The General character was also a fun addition.

(character reveal spoiler)Relegating nu-Malgus to a non-speaking appearance was a bit weird and lame, though.

Also, is Nantoon the first time SWTOR has referenced something exclusively from the new canon?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Cythereal posted:

Personally, I've always wondered where the engines on a TIE fighter are supposed to be.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

But if the ships are constantly accelerating, then inevitably the g-force would crush the crew into paste; unless, of course, a space wizard casts a spell to keep them safe, but since this is never explicitly addressed, we cannot assume it to be true

I mean, if acceleration remains within a certain band of human tolerance, wouldn't this not matter until you started approaching velocities of a significant percentage of c? I'm an economist not a physicist, but as I recall these effects are entirely related to acceleration, and if you're accelerating at 9.8m/s^2 you should feel no difference from earth save "down" being toward the thrust vector. Not that any of that matters because Star Wars ships have some kind of artificial gravity wizardry that seems to render any kind of physics of space flight null for the people riding them.

We've already given this far more thought than any writer of Star Wars ever has.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
:science: You can likely survive a few minutes in a vacuum. Admittedly no one has specifically tested prolonged vacuum exposure on humans, for some reason, or on space wizards, but NASA did do extensive testing on chimpanzees and dogs. The chimpanzees could usually still be revived after 3 to 3.5 minutes of vacuum exposure, but not much longer. They'd pass out in seconds from lack of oxygen, some membranes in the lungs, mouth and such would partially rupture and their skin would be turned into essentially one big hickey, but the only non-repairable part of that is lack of oxygen and a brain can manage without for couple of minutes. The best that a human managed was 30 seconds when some technician had a suit rupture in a vacuum chamber, and the most significant damage he suffered was losing his sense of taste for a couple of days due to his tongue being damaged as his saliva boiled.

Star Wars is full of magical laser wizards and its space flight mechanics have run on loving Aristotelian physics since film 1. Someone surviving space for a while is hardly its worst crime.

This said, I would've appreciated it if the Last Jedi more hadn't added a bunch of exposition on the exact specifics of how it doesn't understand how space, time and scale works.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just so tired of all these Star Wars

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a door, nerds. Just say door.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I do appreciate that we’re not talking about the carpet bombers

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Y'all are endlessly re-litigating TLJ when there's CONTENT to be discussing

:haw:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

This is the sort of content I want to see more of in TOR.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This is the sort of content I want to see more of in TOR.

loving :same:

Let me romance M1-4X you cowards.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Sorry, M1-4X's heart belongs to THE REPUBLIC :911:. There is no room for any other.

e: if you want you can both love THE REPUBLIC :911: together

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cross-Section posted:

The "D" in Dashade stands for dick.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Holy poo poo that is hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Immersion broken, khem Val is a monster who was trapped in a cave, and cannot possibly smell good