Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Mithra has stockings now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The retail version is a standalone cart, the digital version is part of the Expansion Pass for the base game and threads into it as a menu option iirc.

I THINK there's a standalone digital version now as well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tae posted:

Mithra has stockings now

To clarify, It's a costume item because they did a slight redesign of her costume for the Smash Bros Ultimate spirit. The fanbase just collectively loved it so Monolith Soft put it in the game proper.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Tae posted:

Mithra has stockings now

What!!? How is she going to be able to concentrate???

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, all the sidequesting stuff is way better handled in XBC2 and you even get map indicators of where sidequests are. Heart-to-Hearts also don't require any form of affinity between party members, just go trigger them as you find them.

You're still gonna have to go hunting for stuff in XBX though, but it's generally worth the effort.

Zore posted:

XB2 does, XBX is about the same as 1 in that respect.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Yeah almost none of that is an issue in 2. Every character that matters is in your party, otherwise you get a quest marker for them or a minimap blip. The game is also divided into worlds where each one has a very specific hub area that everything is in, and also the quest menu has pictures to help keep things straight. I never really had an issue with finding someone or something unless it was a secret area

Oh that's neat to hear. I was wondering how the later games went because I only heard the big things about them and my eyes kinda glazed over reading about it in this thread for some reason. So like, the weird looking faces in XBX and the not so great designs for the BLADES in XB2 like that bunny girl. Couldn't tell you anything about them beyond that and you take way too long to get Skells in XBX. :v:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To clarify, It's a costume item because they did a slight redesign of her costume for the Smash Bros Ultimate spirit. The fanbase just collectively loved it so Monolith Soft put it in the game proper.

Aww that's a shame. Sucks that you'd have to give up an equipment slot for it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

All of the blades and BLADEs are my precious children.

Except Bose, he can gently caress off. Maybe Murderess too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RareAcumen posted:

Oh that's neat to hear. I was wondering how the later games went because I only heard the big things about them and my eyes kinda glazed over reading about it in this thread for some reason. So like, the weird looking faces in XBX and the not so great designs for the BLADES in XB2 like that bunny girl. Couldn't tell you anything about them beyond that and you take way too long to get Skells in XBX. :v:

The Blade designs aren't as quite big a deal as you think they are, because all the non-main-character ones (ie; the unique ones pulled out of Core Crystals) were done by guest artists to fill roster slots. Their average screentime outside of being used in combat consists of a sidequest chain apiece with some voiced cutscenes, and one or two heart-to-hearts.

They're also kinda meant to look weird and egregious, (even if most of the guest designs were done with a lot of bare skin) because it's a visual short-hand to recognize Blades on-sight in the setting. Everyone else just has reasonable and practical outfits.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Aww that's a shame. Sucks that you'd have to give up an equipment slot for it.

IIRC it's something like Crit Up +25% (with the next highest being Crit Up +22%) on a blade that benefits from scoring as many crits as possible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

XB2 has some bad blade designs but it also has some insanely good blade designs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

tghat would have been a better design

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Blade designs aren't as quite big a deal as you think they are, because all the non-main-character ones (ie; the unique ones pulled out of Core Crystals) were done by guest artists to fill roster slots. Their average screentime outside of being used in combat consists of a sidequest chain apiece with some voiced cutscenes, and one or two heart-to-hearts.

They're also kinda meant to look weird and egregious, (even if most of the guest designs were done with a lot of bare skin) because it's a visual short-hand to recognize Blades on-sight in the setting. Everyone else just has reasonable and practical outfits.

Endorph posted:

XB2 has some bad blade designs but it also has some insanely good blade designs.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the system is worthless or something. I'm just saying that the only thing I know about the games are if they end up making a bunch of noise about it.- I don't even know what the name of that bunnygirl is- but she's the only one I know about besides Mythra and Pyra and part of that is based on A) fanart and B) some twitter thread however long ago that was like 'I might be nuts but I swear Pyra's tits are getting bigger cutscene to cutscene' or something along those lines.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

2 is infinitely better than one as it actually explains most of its mechanics and it’s not as unnecessarily complicated as 1 was.
Did we play the same game???

Ok, sure, you don't specifically need to understand most of the mechanics 2 neglects to tell you about, but there's also some very important mechanics that, while it does tell you about, it only does so briefly and in a tutorial that cannot be reviewed. You know how many people in its thread were going "wait what's a blade combo? driver combo? combos????" when it came out?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I wish Ursula wasn't the hell-grind to end all RPG hell-grinds

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just get behind her head and keep whacking with the Keyblade

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Amppelix posted:

Did we play the same game???

Ok, sure, you don't specifically need to understand most of the mechanics 2 neglects to tell you about, but there's also some very important mechanics that, while it does tell you about, it only does so briefly and in a tutorial that cannot be reviewed. You know how many people in its thread were going "wait what's a blade combo? driver combo? combos????" when it came out?

That’s way more than 1 does which tells you nothing and hopes you figure it out.

Honestly I never really figured out what the gently caress i was doing in 1 where at least I understood the basic mechanics of 2.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

1 is the game which has a million pages of tutorials, some optional even, just waiting for you to read them. Did you read them?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

corn in the bible posted:

lmao jesus christ put some loving pants on plachta

have some shame
... does she have like, an entire rear end cheek hanging out? what the hell

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

RareAcumen posted:

Couldn't tell you anything about them beyond that and you take way too long to get Skells in XBX. :v:

People who complained about this also tended to ruin their own enjoyment of the game by grinding exploration requirements so they could get them ASAP, making the whole world feel smaller and combat duller

like the robots are really cool and all but it's very complicated to make spaces to accommodate really different senses of scale and the combat is annoyingly just functional when they clearly put a lot of work into the on-foot battle system

it is one of my favorite games ever but I'm not a mech fan so it didn't bother me doing most of it without them

they definitely ended up being more of a customizable airship/vehicle with some fuckoff cannons than cool space battlers which is what I guess people wanted

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

So people were wondering why Hom isn't voiced, but it seems to be voiced in certain scenes for me, like this one for instance:

Is it maybe only voiced if you choose the male option?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

People who complained about this also tended to ruin their own enjoyment of the game by grinding exploration requirements so they could get them ASAP, making the whole world feel smaller and combat duller

like the robots are really cool and all but it's very complicated to make spaces to accommodate really different senses of scale and the combat is annoyingly just functional when they clearly put a lot of work into the on-foot battle system

it is one of my favorite games ever but I'm not a mech fan so it didn't bother me doing most of it without them

they definitely ended up being more of a customizable airship/vehicle with some fuckoff cannons than cool space battlers which is what I guess people wanted

I mean it's not really about being mech fans or 'I guess what people wanted,' its that they were all over the marketing material and 'cool mech combat' was the big selling point it felt like

if they'd focused more on the ground combat in promotional material and made it clearer the skrells were just a side thing it probably would have been better received

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

my fondest memory of the skells is just using them to step on human-sized soldiers like 30 levels above me to gain a bunch of levels in one shot.

especially that one base where i could get one guy stuck in the awning of the building so that he would just continually take damage without being able to do anything

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
The game completely fell apart for me once Skells got introduced. The level curve got smashed completely and it felt like a bunch of nonsense from then on. There should have been a separate levelling system for Skell combat because as is it just completely obviates the actually fun combat system by replacing it with a way simpler and more effective one.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://gematsu.com/2018/12/atelier-lulua-adds-sterk-two-new-characters

Sterk in Lulua

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
sterk has to be like about as old as gio was in meruru at this point right

also yay they got rie kugimiya in the game

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The PSN sale that just went up has a bunch of RPGs

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

I mean it's not really about being mech fans or 'I guess what people wanted,' its that they were all over the marketing material and 'cool mech combat' was the big selling point it felt like

if they'd focused more on the ground combat in promotional material and made it clearer the skrells were just a side thing it probably would have been better received

Yeah, I remember them being all over the promotional material and trailers and stuff so I wouldn't expect the combat with them to be serviceable at best.

From the way Yakiniku Teishoku described it, I guess the best you could hope for is being able to call, hop in and out, or direct them at enemies like they're Titanfall robots or something. So then you could use them to try and pin down a giant monster of some kind and then you hop out and wail on it on foot with the much better combat systems.

Phantasium posted:

my fondest memory of the skells is just using them to step on human-sized soldiers like 30 levels above me to gain a bunch of levels in one shot.

especially that one base where i could get one guy stuck in the awning of the building so that he would just continually take damage without being able to do anything

Ha, that rules! I love being able to find ways to punch above my weight class like that.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
im glad that come L&S they just have everyone else dunk on liane for being weird and obsessive about firis

especially when firis herself gets some good knocks in

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Firis is better than I remember, now that I understand what it's actually trying to do

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rorona also has Astrid being constantly weird and creepy towards her so I'm not really surprised Liane came out of the same writing studio

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I always laugh when people say that Skells are the end-all of XBX combat, because this outs them as having never entered THE TRUE POSTGAME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCskEmIbEAs

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

this color choice is still very inconsiderate

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I always laugh when people say that Skells are the end-all of XBX combat, because this outs them as having never entered THE TRUE POSTGAME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCskEmIbEAs

Unfortunately overdrive is probably the most poorly explained mechanic I can think of ever seeing.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Overdrive is kind of a hot mess, yeah. I kinda like the Dagger/Sniper approach because you just sleep poo poo forever and also Flayonette has the best animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaHQd7feXVM

Also the Ares 90 was a mistake, Verus Cain and Mastema White Reaper were so much better and cooler.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

man i'd forgotten that XBX explained almost nothing and required you to go online and read the manual to understand how to play the game :lol:

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Yeah Overdrive is maybe the most poorly explained core combat mechanic in the history of videogames. On the flipside I kind of love how much there is to learn about the games and how they work. Set locations for crafting recipes were really cool because all the ultimate weapons were REALLY hidden so discovering one was huge. I also remember when someone found a really good weapon as a drop from a high-level enemy, so I went and killed it and got the exact same weapon. Up until that point, most people though weapon and armor drops were essentially random, but from there we were able to piece together that each enemy had a drop table based on their archetype, and that you could find particular enemies that were very weak in comparison to their level who you could kill for what were essentially lategame weapons and blow the game wide open.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Despite all of it's flaws I love XCX to death. I just wish the endgame grind for parts consisted of more than just doing boss time trials for hours. It competely killed my drive to keep going

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

uh, what the gently caress is overdrive.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lol i saw something like that happen in skell but i didn't even know that was a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Phantasium posted:

uh, what the gently caress is overdrive.

Spend 3000TP to, for a time, greatly reduce cooldown times (and enable triple cooldown). Using certain colour arts in combination or in certain order can activate other effects like Appendage Damage up, Gain TP or extend Overdrive.

You can also reactive Overdrive if you get 3000TP again, so with the right augments and item traits you can keep Overdrive going for a long time.

Skell Overdrive is a bit different, but mostly it removes fuel costs, enables a special effect that changes depending on your Skell and can be extended if Cockpit Time procs.