Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

more than any lift OHP is also the most frustrating.

Back before my elbows turn to jelly I could rep like 170 for 4-5 relatively easy. but if a bird came by and poo poo on the bar and i tried for a single it wouldn't move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
Increasing my OHP has given more strength in my upper body than increasing my bench. It’s a good lift

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

FizFashizzle posted:

Back before my elbows turn to jelly I could rep like 170 for 4-5 relatively easy. but if a bird came by and poo poo on the bar and i tried for a single it wouldn't move.

Lol very accurate with my experience as well

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

barkbell posted:

Increasing my OHP has given more strength in my upper body than increasing my bench. It’s a good lift

Not empty quoting because the OHP is a great lift that people should be doing.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

in the 1930s and 40s OHP was considered "the" lift in the way that bench press is considered today.

at some point people want fat pecs instead of meaty anterior delts i guess

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I used to strict press more than my bodyweight but then I went and got fatter. Maybe in the spring.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I wondered why we had 1.25 plates in our gym until I started maxing OHP.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I wondered why we had 1.25 plates in our gym until I started maxing OHP.

Don’t poo poo on the pr plates

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I ate a Costco hot dog and went for deadlift PR yesterday
Previous max was 370. I hit 390.

Praise Be Unto Costco. Praise be unto the $1.50 All Beef Hot Dog and fountain drink with unlimited refills!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

MA-Horus posted:

Praise Be Unto Costco. Praise be unto the $1.50 All Beef Hot Dog and fountain drink with unlimited refills!

Unless you're outside the USA, the drink specifies ONE refill, but PBUC all the same, friend.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
OHP is the the original lift. Its the "look I can lift heavy poo poo over my head because I can". People have been doing it for millennia. Mainly to impress women. (or dudes if that's your thing)

MA-Horus posted:

Please don't abuse refill privileges. PBUC

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
You just have to be strong enough to OHP your date. If you can pull a Dirty Dancing, you're in.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Chinatown posted:

Please don't abuse refill privileges. PBUC

I would never cause offence against the Blessing that is the refill. For my cup runneth over with Diet Pepsi.

PBUC.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
For reals though, if you shop right, Costco is awesome for meal prep or just eating healthy in general.

I don't even venture into the baked goods area and snack isles. Too much temptation.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

If I didn't live in a tiny apartment and had the fridge/freezer space and car to buy/transport in bulk, Costco would be awesome. I had a BJ's near me in grad school and it was great for cheap bulk cooking.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

FizFashizzle posted:

this is why I never use collars for ohp

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

So turns out this girl meant push press.

Also absolutely believe she’s hit 275.

So much rear end thoooooooooo

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

135 push press is still nothing to sneeze at.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
there's a guy at my work that lifted all through high school football and never stopped the past few years, he benches like 370, squats 500, deadlifts 600+ @210 lbs but his max OHP is 155 because he never trains it. Like he didn't even have a max until I yelled at him to do it. So now we are racing to a bodyweight OHP because it's the only thing I might could challenge him at. Of course, he if takes it seriously he's going to smoke me from just having a way stronger base all around.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My OHP is steadily dropping

My plan is to get to bodyweight OHP by reducing my bodyweight to match what’s on the bar

Tapping forehead gif

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

FizFashizzle posted:

sever

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

:chloe:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh and now that he’s said it’s a push press I absolutely change my answer to she’s doing CrossFit.

They love that poo poo movement.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MarcusSA posted:

Oh and now that he’s said it’s a push press I absolutely change my answer to she’s doing CrossFit.

Better carry over to oly lifting than strict press.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sassassin posted:

Better carry over to oly lifting than strict press.

Eh.

:shrug:

You might have a point but still!

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Yeah push press for oly is a thing

https://www.catalystathletics.com/article/1912/The-Press-for-Weightlifting-How-Useful-Is-It/

If she's not doing Weightlifting and just likes push press vs strict press who cares? It's not as good for hypertrophy I guess but if you just want to throw some weight around why not? I like doing the dynamic start "classic press" because it adds like 15% to my max and is competition-legal if I ever go to a USSF meet

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I do pretty strict press with my lighter warmups and start incorporating a lean back/hips forwards movement as I get to my working sets. I learned this from starting strength and it’s worked for me. I don’t plan on competing ever and just want to be stronger, fitter, better looking and more athletic.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I stand there, bring the bar to my collarbone, push it over my head, and repeat. I dunno, it works for me. If I saw a girl doing that at the gym I'd think it was cool. If I saw a guy doing that at the gym I'd think it was cool, too.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This man has 3 grotesque ball sacks

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dolphin posted:

This man has 3 grotesque ball sacks

My understanding is that prolonged exposure to a bike seat will drive your testicles into your chest

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

barkbell posted:

I do pretty strict press with my lighter warmups and start incorporating a lean back/hips forwards movement as I get to my working sets. I learned this from starting strength and it’s worked for me. I don’t plan on competing ever and just want to be stronger, fitter, better looking and more athletic.

If you want to look better push your head through instead of leaning back and take some of the load off your overworked front delts.

Press is an upper back exercise.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Ab work helps, too. Strong core, strong butt, strong press.

lol if you think I ever work abs...

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

sassassin posted:

If you want to look better push your head through instead of leaning back and take some of the load off your overworked front delts.

Press is an upper back exercise.

I do push my head through. I guess I mean during my warmups I just lean my head back and probably don’t do a perfect straight line up to clear my face. When I get to my work sets I push my hips forward which leans my whole upper body back. I press up and straighten my body out by flexing abs glutes etc. The bar clears my face as I press my face through and shrug at the top. I feel it in my shoulders, chest, arms, traps, abs, whatver else is in the back.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hey yo who ever recommended that termapro thanks!

This thing is legit. Having two probes and real time tracking is great.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

MarcusSA posted:

Nothing wrong with push press but she's lifting a lot of weight while not having any clue what she's doing. That's CrossFit.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Killing Loaf posted:

https://www.catalystathletics.com/article/1912/The-Press-for-Weightlifting-How-Useful-Is-It/

If she's not doing Weightlifting and just likes push press vs strict press who cares? It's not as good for hypertrophy I guess but if you just want to throw some weight around why not? I like doing the dynamic start "classic press" because it adds like 15% to my max and is competition-legal if I ever go to a USSF meet

im turning this girl into a drat oly lifter. she sent me a backsquat video today and its fine. "is 285 a lot lol!"

also she was a gymnast and her shoulders are like rocks.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Killing Loaf posted:

USSF is such ridiculous Starting Strength wanking

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

FizFashizzle posted:

im turning this girl into a drat oly lifter. she sent me a backsquat video today and its fine. "is 285 a lot lol!"

also she was a gymnast and her shoulders are like rocks.

If you’re dating a twink is fine to admit here

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Did doubles of clean+front squat for 70kg today fairly well. I'm getting more confident in maybe hitting a C&J double for 80kg in a couple weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

If you’re dating a twink is fine to admit here

look im not gay or anything I just like getting hosed in the rear end by muscular men ok