Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

You absolutely need a human operator. The guidance systems make the operator's life at lot easier but if you let the thing go on its own you're gonna end up with a four or five (or six) digit repair bill in 20 minutes at best. Even nice flat fields are not flat and obstruction free and most places are not nice and flat.

Yeah but he said "But since that'll all be farmed by 12 dudes and 500 robots in ten years, gently caress em."

So yeah just like other parts of industrial automation, there will still be people involved, but it'll be like 3 automation engineers, some horticulturists, and a couple of mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
I think that's wildly optimistic. At best you’ll have a handful of machines being closely monitored by one operator. In like fifty years.

It’s like the people who say truckers are all gonna be out of business in 10 years because of self driving trucks. Yeah sure I'll believe it when I see it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Sand pits were always fun in any piece of equipment. Making me feel loving old for growing up on '60s cabless 3010/4010s dragging a chisel plow left over from the paleolithic. What's left of the family farm can be pulled with a JD 7720 harvester. And the grain markets being completely hosed doesn't help that, especially the beans.

gently caress grain farming.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Sand pits were always fun in any piece of equipment. Making me feel loving old for growing up on '60s cabless 3010/4010s dragging a chisel plow left over from the paleolithic. What's left of the family farm can be pulled with a JD 7720 harvester. And the grain markets being completely hosed doesn't help that, especially the beans.

gently caress grain farming.

The only thing worse is Rice farming. loving rice.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

my kinda ape posted:

We can't even make self driving cars that don't run into anything, if you think we're anywhere close to fully automated farm equipment then lmao

Not to mention that it'd cost 4x what *anyone* farming could afford.

I mean a combine already costs a cool half mil just by itself, I’m pretty sure you could convince most farmers that for a 50% increase and the ability to run longer operating hours and they can fire a few operators the cost would be worth it.

The entire self driving car thing isn’t much of an argument. Combines move slower, can be geofenced into a known area and largely won’t be moving faster than a brisk trot. To say the challenges between getting the two techs is radically different is probably an understatement. I doubt combines are going to have to worry about other combines brake checking them just to be cocksuckers unless some farmer fires up the battlebot protocol in an attempt to light a shitload of money on fire at rate unseen outside of the DoD.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rhymenoserous posted:

I mean a combine already costs a cool half mil just by itself, I’m pretty sure you could convince most farmers that for a 50% increase and the ability to run longer operating hours and they can fire a few operators the cost would be worth it.

The entire self driving car thing isn’t much of an argument. Combines move slower, can be geofenced into a known area and largely won’t be moving faster than a brisk trot. To say the challenges between getting the two techs is radically different is probably an understatement. I doubt combines are going to have to worry about other combines brake checking them just to be cocksuckers unless some farmer fires up the battlebot protocol in an attempt to light a shitload of money on fire at rate unseen outside of the DoD.

Footloose reboot opening scene gonna be weird.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, harvesters are slow enough that you could outfit them with GNSS and lidar so they could pinpoint their location literally down to the centimeter

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

not caring here posted:

Yeah, harvesters are slow enough that you could outfit them with GNSS and lidar so they could pinpoint their location literally down to the centimeter

Yeah this was a thing close to 20 years ago.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/ocasio2018/status/1072678976823418881?s=21 :bisonyes:

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

not caring here posted:

They're already accurate to within 2" or something. My point is that not having someone to watch the half million dollar machine flop around on rough ground ingesting everything in front of it is financially insane.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

my kinda ape posted:

We can't even make self driving cars that don't run into anything, if you think we're anywhere close to fully automated farm equipment then lmao
I don't get why it's still an accepted "truth" in some parts of the internet that automated vehicles are impossible. The one non-driver fatality was basically murder caused by Uber shitbirds turning off safety features and a test driver who utterly failed at his one job. Once you drop gross negligence from the equation, the strides that have been made in the last five years are astronomical and are going to get better. Won't see full autonomy on urban streets in the next 20 years, but highway and suburban/rural roads are probably achievable. I'm not saying this to cheerlead autonomous vehicles, either, as they pose substantial policy challenges that threaten to override the push to empower non-car modes of transportation.

Farm equipment has to be even easier. Map your plot; define your zones; generate some waypoints; hit go. None of the biggest challenges that self-driving cars face are present and a lot of the tech is already in place. Average farmers are already buying hi-tech equipment that removes a significant portion of the work they did 20-30 years ago. Sure, it's pricey as gently caress, but plenty of farmers seem to see the utility in it. And as of this year they can even gently caress around with the internals of the software without threat of legal action against them from the manufacturer.

Edit: But sure, I guess it all depends on what constitutes "fully automated" for you.

Edit 2: CRUSTY MINGE's post below suggests I might be incorrect about expanded right for users to fiddle with the internals.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 12, 2018

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

my kinda ape posted:

They're already accurate to within 2" or something. My point is that not having someone to watch the half million dollar machine flop around on rough ground ingesting everything in front of it is financially insane.

so is investing in bitcoin yet it still happens

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Let's not forget how the farm equipment and implement industry recently pushed to make it so you have to have services done by their techs or risk loving up your poo poo. Service intervals can force hard shutdowns that farmers have to pay out the rear end to fix. And congress protected them with a law all of 3 months ago.

https://www.wired.com/story/john-deere-farmers-right-to-repair/

Is it any goddamn wonder my uncles' newest tractor is an early 80s 4430? There's a 90s chevy pickup for a work truck, and grain trailers from around 2000, but nothing newer. A distant cousin offloaded his two expensive rear end harvesters from a decade ago a little over a year back. Bought a half dozen 80s 8820s, mostly for parts, but ran three of them this year, apparently. He's got around 3000 acres to play with, so he's not playing with super small farm money like my uncle and the less than 600 acres left the family leases. All but the 5 acre homestead land is gone, from around 500 acres owned when I was a kid (peaked in the late 90s with around 1200 acres between leased/owned). Other side of the family farms too, but are uptight catholic cunts that I hope lose every last square inch of land out of familial spite.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

my kinda ape posted:

So? It'll all be subsidized by the gov't anyway.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This is what I remember from Paris- reading posts suggesting, and then seeing, that GIGN will kill you ten times over before they're done with you.

Waroduce posted:

My favorite part if this is the guy w the shield strafing in front of the entire u it crossing all their firing lanes

I wondered about this, too. They send one guy with a shield in and then let the next 30 in line unload clips into the store.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

flynn asking for a year of probation and 200 community service hours

i didn't know he was from rhode island

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

My favorite part if this is the guy w the shield strafing in front of the entire u it crossing all their firing lanes

Typical loving montagne main :rolleyes:

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

flynn asking for a year of probation and 200 community service hours

i didn't know he was from rhode island

He also went to URI and spoke to my ROTC detachment once. Seemed like your normal run of the mill noble back then.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

He also went to URI and spoke to my ROTC detachment once. Seemed like your normal run of the mill noble back then.
He's a racist with tons of contempt for civil society. He started thinking that the Russians had the right idea, then he started taking their money, and now he's a loving traitor.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Casimir Radon posted:

He's a racist with tons of contempt for civil society. He started thinking that the Russians had the right idea, then he started taking their money, and now he's a loving traitor.

Oh I don't disagree at all, gently caress him and his large adult son.

I'm just saying when he came to my school, there wasn't much notable about him aside from the fact he was a 2 star and he had graduated from the same ROTC detachment. He gave the same boring platitudes you'd expect from any other general trying to motivate some cadets.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

seeing trump and schumer today reminded me of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfkhS1R8A2Q

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This is quite a long article but it's a really good write up of Brexit with the Germans just scratching their heads and going 'vot?'

http://m.spiegel.de/international/europe/the-mistakes-that-led-to-brexit-a-1240126.html

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Waroduce posted:

That dude had a bomb-rear end Darth Vader Helmet tho

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUJtxn1V7N4

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Such tiny doors, it'll only take us a few loader buckets full of dirt to cover each one!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Y2K, 9/11, 2008 housing crash, and then he lumps in the Kavanaugh hearing for being "disturbing". Not that they weren't but I think we'd disagree on why that was.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Handsome Ralph posted:

I'm at URI. He doesn't really come up. Small world.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
What's the end game for that anyway? Yeah, you might survive whatever hypothetical apocalypse, but if it's the end of the world it's not going to matter anyway. Full scale nuclear war has a tail measured in decades not months. Super virus? Those won't help at all. Meteor? Embrace the flames of destruction.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Hell, more than that, you're in a giant community stocked with supplies. Guess who is getting raided first?

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Oh, yeah, that too. And all the people with a ton of guns. They're all going to be the first to get got.

There was that article some guy wrote after he got paid to consult a handful of extraordinarily rich people on how to survive after the end of the world, and one of their questions was how to ensure that their private security forces don't just merc them and take all their stuff. The real answer is that there isn't, and they're screwed.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bucket of dirt in front of the exit, plug up the ventilation system from the outside, they're not as safe as they think they are. The whole bunker survival thing just rounds them up in one spot for whoever wants to kill them after they all scurry underground.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

orange juche posted:

Bucket of dirt in front of the exit, plug up the ventilation system from the outside, they're not as safe as they think they are. The whole bunker survival thing just rounds them up in one spot for whoever wants to kill them after they all scurry underground.

Please don't give away our plans.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

A Bad Poster posted:

Oh, yeah, that too. And all the people with a ton of guns. They're all going to be the first to get got.

There was that article some guy wrote after he got paid to consult a handful of extraordinarily rich people on how to survive after the end of the world, and one of their questions was how to ensure that their private security forces don't just merc them and take all their stuff. The real answer is that there isn't, and they're screwed.

That article was a hoot from start to finish. For those who haven't read it:

The writer is a professor at one of the City University of New York campuses, and is fairly well respected in the field of tech culture. When he agreed to speak, he thought he'd be fielding questions about the utility of recent tech advances. It def didn't go the way he expected.

Bonus points for the absolute sociopathy of the wealthy. He suggested that, to keep security forces loyal after the end, rich people could try being nice to their guards now. :lol: Nah, let's just fit them with torture collars and zap them like disobedient dogs.

quote:

This single question occupied us for the rest of the hour. They knew armed guards would be required to protect their compounds from the angry mobs. But how would they pay the guards once money was worthless? What would stop the guards from choosing their own leader? The billionaires considered using special combination locks on the food supply that only they knew. Or making guards wear disciplinary collars of some kind in return for their survival. Or maybe building robots to serve as guards and workers - if that technology could be developed in time.
When the hedge funders asked me the best way to maintain authority over their security forces after “the event,” I suggested that their best bet would be to treat those people really well, right now. They should be engaging with their security staffs as if they were members of their own family. And the more they can expand this ethos of inclusivity to the rest of their business practices, supply chain management, sustainability efforts, and wealth distribution, the less chance there will be of an “event” in the first place. All this technological wizardry could be applied toward less romantic but entirely more collective interests right now.

They were amused by my optimism, but they didn’t really buy it.

https://medium.com/s/futurehuman/survival-of-the-richest-9ef6cddd0cc1

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Bad Poster posted:

"Here, put this exploding collar on your neck"

e: oh, beaten

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh hey look what der Ostländers forgot to shred

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-46525543

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A dresden doll.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Fun times in the UK today

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/sta...ingawful.com%2F

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's kinda cool how the treat your security as family thing seems to sorta edge towards a feudalism-ish thing. Why not marry your kid to the kid of the head security guy while you're at it and whoops you're there.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

aphid_licker posted:

It's kinda cool how the treat your security as family thing seems to sorta edge towards a feudalism-ish thing. Why not marry your kid to the kid of the head security guy while you're at it and whoops you're there.

I always knew CK2 was both the past and the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

aphid_licker posted:

What's really funny is as lousy as my social graces are I'd still be way better at fostering a sense of community than these pieces of poo poo.