Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of stances and techniques, combined with what I noticed in my last post, I wonder how Minor Clan shugenja apparently sometimes being limited to only two elements (thus far we only have the Mantis shugenja to go off of, but I expect that the Moshi will be similar at least, given, you know, everything about them, and the point of the Minor Clans is usually expertise in a particular area over the more broad competencies of the Great Clans) will affect them in this area. If you see a Minor Clan shugenja, you know what their thing is right away.

Also, re: Martial shugenja, while that is technically possible, shugenja typically don't carry their katanas for a reason: They're priests, not warriors. Also, that is a really, really specific way of getting that competence, that requires your character disagreeing with their clan's concept of bushido, having a "mentor" whose relationship with them led to them learning to fight better, and a particular sort of ancestor (as well as a lot of luck if your GM isn't letting you just pick from those tables, an extra disadvantage instead of an advantage, less glory, and other mechanical stuff). This doesn't exactly seem like a reasonable expectation if you ask me.

This isn't arguing that shugenja don't have a lot of power with invocations and stuff, just that it seems to me like you're taking a very specific path and arguing general points from it. I don't think it's fair to characterize not taking this particular path as "wishing to be less reliable".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
FFG finally posted the World's Championship Final game on their Youtube. If you were into it you, probably could have tracked it down on their Twitch channel.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Roland Jones posted:

Also, re: Martial shugenja, while that is technically possible, shugenja typically don't carry their katanas for a reason: They're priests, not warriors. Also, that is a really, really specific way of getting that competence, that requires your character disagreeing with their clan's concept of bushido, having a "mentor" whose relationship with them led to them learning to fight better, and a particular sort of ancestor (as well as a lot of luck if your GM isn't letting you just pick from those tables, an extra disadvantage instead of an advantage, less glory, and other mechanical stuff). This doesn't exactly seem like a reasonable expectation if you ask me.

This isn't arguing that shugenja don't have a lot of power with invocations and stuff, just that it seems to me like you're taking a very specific path and arguing general points from it. I don't think it's fair to characterize not taking this particular path as "wishing to be less reliable".

You cloud yourself with "supposed to." Convinced that shugenja are "supposed to" lack sword skill, you persuade yourself that certain mechanical branches printed for all characters to use, with no restrictions, are not in fact freely available. This prevents looking at and critiquing the rules as they are. There is nothing "really, really specific" about selecting Option B twice when presented with two A / B choices where the choices are presented to literally every character. That is all that is required to be a shugenja with Martial Arts 2.

As if to head off the idea of one of the openly-presented choices being a secretly disfavored niche choice, the book actively contemplates PCs taking the B options at both Steps. Step 13 spends all its descriptive text going back and forth between "maybe you got a good thing, maybe you got a bad thing; either can shape you" and the very first sentence of Step 7 says "[n]ot every samurai lives and breathes their clan's creed, and individuals often diverge considerably from their clan on specific issues (emphasis added)." Step 7 then suggests a half-dozen samurai who disagree with their clan and adds a paragraph about fleshing out the disagreement for a richer character worldview. Reading this, would it be specific and unreasonable for a Hida to pick up two ranks of Courtesy because he believes one catches more flies with honey than vinegar? He is not "supposed to" do that.

Consider also that, with regard to freshly-created characters, the only way for a bushi to get Martial Arts skill besides these A / B choices available to everyone is his array of +1s from his dojo. An Akodo who does not wish to endure the horrors of "having a disagreement with his Clan" or "a Disadvantage (which as sources of Void Points aren't even strictly bad)" will start the campaign at Martial Arts 1. His Isawa comrade can match that with the bonus from parents in Step 17. There is no branching choice between categories of mechanic to be made at Step 17, so no unwritten ghost of what he is "supposed to" do will restrain the shugenja there. He only selects the skill and whether his parents like or dislike the skill, so he can say "my parents like it" and there you go! Both characters are good little boys following their clan beliefs and happy healthy mentor-ships. Everything is hunky-dory and the shugenja matches the bushi. We see again the silliness of shackling ourselves to preconceptions.

I don't disagree that many shugenja will not in fact have Martial Arts at creation. I don't disagree that many shugenja will lack for Martial Arts skill during their careers. The point being made here is that any shugenja who wishes to compete at Martial Arts skill can do so out of the gate and will end up only a rank behind his bushi cousin, tops. Later-career comparisons* will depend on when the shugenja's school gets Martial Skills in-curriculum and on how many ranks he grabbed during creation. Thus when the bushi and shugenja are both compelled out of their favorite stances and they both fumble around Technique-less, if the shugenja fumbles worse because he lacks Martial Arts, it is mostly because he chose to build his character that way. That is the original point.

*previously unmentioned factor: later-career characters are more likely to have many Techniques of different associated Rings** and so will be harder to catch in a useless stance in the first place

**come to think of it schools that have Kata in-curriculum always have "all Kata" on the table line whereas Invocation, Kiho, and Shuji curricula are elementally-restricted, so bushi will get wider stance options faster, so that's a point in their favor in this discussion about getting caught off-stance. I'll cop to that. That's a good bit of work.

PaybackJack posted:

FFG finally posted the World's Championship Final game on their Youtube. If you were into it you, probably could have tracked it down on their Twitch channel.

Awesome, thanks for the link. Do you believe the Cunning Magistrate was a misplay? Also, what's the Scorpion playerbase opinion on Kyuden Bayushi? City of the Open Hand seems really hard to beat.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

SuperKlaus posted:

Awesome, thanks for the link. Do you believe the Cunning Magistrate was a misplay? Also, what's the Scorpion playerbase opinion on Kyuden Bayushi? City of the Open Hand seems really hard to beat.

Kyuden Bayushi needs some time to settle and also a bit more support. There aren't a lot of ways to dishonor our own guys at the moment, and you'd need to see assassination or enforcers on round one to meet the honor criteria as well. I think it's going to be fairly easy for Crane/Phoenix to play around, basically tells them they can't play For Shame!, but it otherwise easy enough for them to play around. Peasant's Advice, if decks weren't ditching City of Lies in favor of Hidden Moon Dojo it would see more play and be a potentially stronger card for the deck.

It's an interesting card but I think it will take a bit of time for us to figure out how best to use it, while CotOH is just much more straightforward and powerful, which keeps Dishonor strats much more viable and also allows military decks to bid high without worrying too much about their honor.

Regarding Shen's play of the Magistrate; obviously the commentators thought it was bad. I can't say I understood it either but I guess he really wanted it out there. At the end of the day though Shen went for the kill and Erik was saved by the Fan. Shen took a high risk and could have won but he didn't; that's how it goes. I think the bigger misplay was that he could have waited on the Assassinate, then after dropping Kachiko he could have swung with her and negated the Soul with the Illusionist at that point rather than having to use the Illusionist to counter the reaction triggered by the Assassinate and also disguised his goal a little more.

nyxnyxnyx
Jun 24, 2013
Both were mistakes. The Cunning one he realized immediately, the final turn one he realized in retrospect after discussing it with others.

Shen did very well considering he was burning up with a fever and coughing like a dying man the entire Worlds.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

SuperKlaus posted:

You cloud yourself with "supposed to." Convinced that shugenja are "supposed to" lack sword skill, you persuade yourself that certain mechanical branches printed for all characters to use, with no restrictions, are not in fact freely available. This prevents looking at and critiquing the rules as they are. There is nothing "really, really specific" about selecting Option B twice when presented with two A / B choices where the choices are presented to literally every character. That is all that is required to be a shugenja with Martial Arts 2.

As if to head off the idea of one of the openly-presented choices being a secretly disfavored niche choice, the book actively contemplates PCs taking the B options at both Steps. Step 13 spends all its descriptive text going back and forth between "maybe you got a good thing, maybe you got a bad thing; either can shape you" and the very first sentence of Step 7 says "[n]ot every samurai lives and breathes their clan's creed, and individuals often diverge considerably from their clan on specific issues (emphasis added)." Step 7 then suggests a half-dozen samurai who disagree with their clan and adds a paragraph about fleshing out the disagreement for a richer character worldview. Reading this, would it be specific and unreasonable for a Hida to pick up two ranks of Courtesy because he believes one catches more flies with honey than vinegar? He is not "supposed to" do that.

Consider also that, with regard to freshly-created characters, the only way for a bushi to get Martial Arts skill besides these A / B choices available to everyone is his array of +1s from his dojo. An Akodo who does not wish to endure the horrors of "having a disagreement with his Clan" or "a Disadvantage (which as sources of Void Points aren't even strictly bad)" will start the campaign at Martial Arts 1. His Isawa comrade can match that with the bonus from parents in Step 17. There is no branching choice between categories of mechanic to be made at Step 17, so no unwritten ghost of what he is "supposed to" do will restrain the shugenja there. He only selects the skill and whether his parents like or dislike the skill, so he can say "my parents like it" and there you go! Both characters are good little boys following their clan beliefs and happy healthy mentor-ships. Everything is hunky-dory and the shugenja matches the bushi. We see again the silliness of shackling ourselves to preconceptions.

I don't disagree that many shugenja will not in fact have Martial Arts at creation. I don't disagree that many shugenja will lack for Martial Arts skill during their careers. The point being made here is that any shugenja who wishes to compete at Martial Arts skill can do so out of the gate and will end up only a rank behind his bushi cousin, tops. Later-career comparisons* will depend on when the shugenja's school gets Martial Skills in-curriculum and on how many ranks he grabbed during creation. Thus when the bushi and shugenja are both compelled out of their favorite stances and they both fumble around Technique-less, if the shugenja fumbles worse because he lacks Martial Arts, it is mostly because he chose to build his character that way. That is the original point.

*previously unmentioned factor: later-career characters are more likely to have many Techniques of different associated Rings** and so will be harder to catch in a useless stance in the first place

**come to think of it schools that have Kata in-curriculum always have "all Kata" on the table line whereas Invocation, Kiho, and Shuji curricula are elementally-restricted, so bushi will get wider stance options faster, so that's a point in their favor in this discussion about getting caught off-stance. I'll cop to that. That's a good bit of work.

Cunning Magistrate was 100% a misplay, in that he paid a lot of fate to lose a conflict. If he needed it on the field for later, he could have just played it later. Playing it then actually lowered his skill in the conflict, which he ended up losing.

Not a Scorpion, but Kyuuden Bayushi is a powerful stronghold that is too fragile to hold up to top level play in a tournament environment where you have to win marathons of games. Combine that with the fact that Open Hand is solidly the best stronghold in the game, and I don't expect to see KB perform well at tournaments for a long time if ever*.

*Unless they do the smart thing and Restrict city of the open hand

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Arblus, look! IT'S UNICORN!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/11/28/warriors-of-the-wind/

Big focus on the new(-ish) idea of profiting by revealing your opponent's provinces. I've never been a horseboy so I'm mostly looking at Hida Tsuru, who pleases me as a reference to the old days and as a kickass Fight On user. Also, check it everyone - a horse as a Personality. With a 0 POL, not dash. In the near future your Clan could be brought to ruin by a horse with a fan.

There is another new card in the Unicorn book announcement: Utaku Battle Steed. 1 cost +1/+1 attachment, attach to Unicorn only, gives Cavalry and honors the bearer after the bearer wins a MIL conflict. Nice with a Shiotome Encampment, flavor-fittingly.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

New Uni box is pretty interesting. I don't know that "more" is really the direction the need to be going in but having a sizable economic advantage might actually work out if all they're doing is putting more blank bodies out there. Would love to see some defensive style decks out of this box designed to draw out of the game until they simply can field an army so large their opponent can't do anything about it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, thematically it fits the Unicorn to throw large numbers of Moto at a problem until it goes away, given they contain within themselves the Not Mongol Hordes.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PaybackJack posted:

New Uni box is pretty interesting. I don't know that "more" is really the direction the need to be going

Yesterday I hit a crab with a strength 45 attack, and I didn't break their stronghold. Clearly I need to be able to field more cavalry.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

In our Thursday night game I watched a Voltron Niten Master with 7 attachments hold off a Unicorn then counterstrike for the win.

At least with the new SH you could probably afford to run Rout now...

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope
Anybody have a good cheat sheet for the RPG? Starting a campaign on Tuesday and there seems like there are alot of little things to remember.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Hit a bit of news in the LCG this weekend.

Scorpion/Crane/Lion/Crane top 4 at the Madrid Kotei led to Scorpion vs. Lion in the finals and a win for Scorpion...which could be the last for a while because there's new additions and subtractions to the restricted list!

Added
Guest of Honor
Ninten Master
Young Rumormonger
Rebuild
Feast or Famine
A Fate Worse Then Death
Isawa Tadaka
Void Fist

Removed
Iron Mine
Against the waves

I'm curious to see if Iron Mine being removed from the RL puts Crab back up in the rankings.

Nobody seems to agree on why Rumormonger got added so it could just be a combination of interaction with Mark of Shame or Soul Beyond Reproach.

Guest of Honor being added hurts Crane a bit but not a whole lot.

Niten Master and Void Fist both making the list is pretty interesting.

Against the Waves coming off is great though Tadaka going on is brutal.

Of course as a Scorpion I'm sad to see A Fate Worse Than Death go on. I don't think this will actually hurt Scorpion too much. Nor do I think the loss of Rumormonger will either.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Dec 10, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Also, Emerald Empire is shipping (some stores have a street date of the 12th), and they announced a new RPG book and adventure today that deals with the Shadowlands (I think the adventure takes you to Hiruma Castle)

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
What was Young Rumormonger's crime that got him listed? I like the lil' guy. Someone clue me in on the killer combo he was enabling.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
He messed up soul beyond reproach and mark of shame pretty bad because if you redirect the first honour/dishonour you couldn't proc the second.

Apart from that he seems like a weird include, some people think it might be future proofing for cards that haven't been released yet.

Melusine
Sep 5, 2013

Yeah, I can only assume this is intended to be a soft ban on Young Rumormonger, since there's no way any Scorpion will choose it as their Restricted List card over AFWTD or Forged Edict.

Disappointed they didn't take Pathfinder's Blade off the Restricted List, there's no need for both it and Niten Master to be on the list. It makes Void Fist Dragon's no-brainer RL card, rather than giving Dragon players an actual choice of two different potentially good decks (weapons/attachment Dragon and monk Dragon). Hopefully that's something they'll fix next time they do an update.

Had to laugh though that they basically came out and said in the article that Guest of Honor is just on the list so that Crane has a card on it, not for any real balance reasons. That's certainly one way to run a card game.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
I'm looking into running a solo game of L5R (4E or 5E) for someone who's interested in playing a character with an animal companion of some sort. Are there any options for this? Unicorn characters get their steeds and 5E has the Animal Bond passion, but beyond that I haven't managed to turn anything up. I do realise the concept doesn't really fit into the setting, but given the abundance of splatbooks for 4E in particular I might have missed something.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Lion has a beastmaster school, I'm pretty sure.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MMAgCh posted:

I'm looking into running a solo game of L5R (4E or 5E) for someone who's interested in playing a character with an animal companion of some sort. Are there any options for this? Unicorn characters get their steeds and 5E has the Animal Bond passion, but beyond that I haven't managed to turn anything up. I do realise the concept doesn't really fit into the setting, but given the abundance of splatbooks for 4E in particular I might have missed something.

The Kitsune could be pretty good for this, though 5E doesn't have them yet. Unicorn could work well; besides their horses, obviously, after looking on the wiki I learned that apparently the Moto trained war dogs, which the 5E core book also has stats for in the NPC section.(Sort of; they have dog stats, and modifications you can make to those to make large dogs, such as "massive beasts bred for battle", and small dogs.) Animal handling falls under Survival now, along with riding, so the Unicorn tend to be good at it too; every school and three of the families give you points in it. Though anyone could have a smaller dog, whether a hunting dog (another example given in the core book) or just a pet.

Falconry is another option, and apparently the practice of it originated with the Crab, though I think that's one basically any samurai could have regardless of clan.

And for the last example I've found, apparently the Matsu... Trained actual lions (and other big cats) for war? Huh. But normal cats are in the 5E NPC thing too, as are "hunting cats" (i.e. big cats, not necessarily trained cats), so I guess either of those work too.

Admittedly, that's going more into examples that are part of the setting, not actual mechanical examples. For that, well, not sure what 5E has besides ranks in Survival, Animal Bond, and the Unicorn stuff; you'd probably have to go with a more narrative thing here, though that's part of 5E in general. 4E meanwhile seems to have War-Dog Master as an alternate path for some Unicorn schools, but it's a rank 4 replacement, so, not something you can start with, and it's about commanding whole packs apparently anyway. And, yes, Matsu Beastmaster is a school, a full school at that, too, if you want a warcat. Or pride of warcats.

Daphnaie posted:

Had to laugh though that they basically came out and said in the article that Guest of Honor is just on the list so that Crane has a card on it, not for any real balance reasons. That's certainly one way to run a card game.

That's kind of hilarious, really.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 12, 2018

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Daphnaie posted:

Yeah, I can only assume this is intended to be a soft ban on Young Rumormonger, since there's no way any Scorpion will choose it as their Restricted List card over AFWTD or Forged Edict.

Disappointed they didn't take Pathfinder's Blade off the Restricted List, there's no need for both it and Niten Master to be on the list. It makes Void Fist Dragon's no-brainer RL card, rather than giving Dragon players an actual choice of two different potentially good decks (weapons/attachment Dragon and monk Dragon). Hopefully that's something they'll fix next time they do an update.

I think Guest got put on because of Policy Debate and wanting to not make Stay Your Blade a completely dead card. Although the World Champion wasn't running PD, with the new composure mechanic coming out dueling is going become a bit stronger so I think they want to keep those cards alive so shutting Crane out of the strongest duel is to that end.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dick Burglar posted:

Lion has a beastmaster school, I'm pretty sure.

They do. I know it's in 3E but I'm not sure if it's in 4E.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dawgstar posted:

They do. I know it's in 3E but I'm not sure if it's in 4E.

It is, I’ve played one.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Thanks, all! The 4E beastmaster turned out to be in The Great Clans, for the record. :shobon: It's probably as good as it's going to get in terms of letting the character have an animal friend, so it looks like we'll be going with it. Now I only need to figure out things for the character to actually do, as concept-wise the usual social business doesn't really seem to be on the table.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

Thanks, all! The 4E beastmaster turned out to be in The Great Clans, for the record. :shobon: It's probably as good as it's going to get in terms of letting the character have an animal friend, so it looks like we'll be going with it. Now I only need to figure out things for the character to actually do, as concept-wise the usual social business doesn't really seem to be on the table.

The crane falconer path from second city is a more conventional character.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
i'm pretty sure anyone can train a falcon in 4e and also a falcon in 4e is basically a flying katana

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Elfgames posted:

i'm pretty sure anyone can train a falcon in 4e and also a falcon in 4e is basically a flying katana
Seems like an accurate description to me.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Elfgames posted:

Any samurai can, any samurai will, but the Crane get simple attacks with their flying katana.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Late Christmas present from FFG, it's a Lion/Phoenix/Unicorn preview for Children of the Empire

Kiku Matsuri - Strong, but I don't know how many clans would give up Garden for it, but I think there's probably a good argument for Phoenix running it. Crane probably like it more than Fields too.

Glorious Victory - What a god awful card. 3 Fate to honor all your characters after you break a province. Jesus, I really feel for Lion at this point. Even if it cost 1 fate I'd be skeptical. There better be a crazy Lion stronghold that keeps your characters around if they're honored or something because this looks so hilariously bad.

Matsu Tsuko - Very solid. City of Lies is really nice out of Scorpion and since this hits any card not just events you can use it to help offset those expensive Sashimonos or a conflict character. Using it to pay for Glorious Victory? That's bad, don't do that. While the restriction on it is pretty rough, hopefully we'll see some more help towards Lion staying more honorable.

Ikoma Orator - 2 for a possible 2/3 is just really uninspiring and pretty boring. I guess another Courtier is good.

Gift of Amaterasu - Kind of a worse effect than Path of Man which already doesn't see a lot of play. It's a spell but a reaction so no synergy with Kyuden Isawa. Not feeling it. Win more cards really need to have strong effects for me to get excited about them.

Unmatched Expertise - Mostly-meta card that's totally and unnecessarily hampered by being Fire role only. I don't really get that design decision.

Isawa Ujina - Very good. A bit of a middle finger to Crab in that they might have more guys sticking around with no fate thanks to Reprieve/Iron Mine shenanigans, slightly less of one to Unicorn but it's an ability that's going to really change how your opponent plays as well which is something I love in card design. Could backfire but it's a worthwhile gamble.

Utaku Kamoko - Really good. Makes me wish there was more stuff that dishonored your own units so you could really exploit her ability but, yeah I'm very happy with this.

Ide Negotiator - Love it. The ability to bump the dial 1 in either direction is fantastic, and with the new composure mechanic bid manipulation is going to be more useful than ever. But the best part, she's a Courtier, one step closer to seeing my Unicorns really be able to make good use of the Scorpion suite of cards. She turns on Edict and Kamoko loves her some Calling in Favors so this is a super win in my book. She's also going to be great for the next card...

Challenge on the Field - Holy cow this is fantastic. Any conflict, send home military duel where you get a bump for the number of characters you have participating in the battle. Oh and it costs 0 fate. My jaw just hit the floor. This is a loving card right here.

Overall, I am so in love with Unicorn in this preview it really makes up for the community being so dumb and making stupid thematic design decisions on the create-a-card.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Dec 26, 2018

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

PaybackJack posted:

Glorious Victory - What a god awful card. 3 Fate to honor all your characters after you break a province. Jesus, I really feel for Lion at this point. Even if it cost 1 fate I'd be skeptical. There better be a crazy Lion stronghold that keeps your characters around if they're honored or something because this looks so hilariously bad.

Roll it in with Force of the River, go wide, and you can get maybe ten honor off of that card. It might just be the puzzle piece we need for honor victories.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Mystic Mongol posted:

Roll it in with Force of the River, go wide, and you can get maybe ten honor off of that card. It might just be the puzzle piece we need for honor victories.

I'm all for jank strategies but a combo that's shut down by either event cancellation OR attachment removal. Even that is too jank for me to consider.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Elfgames posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivYdq1zFfF8

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

Mechayahiko posted:

Anybody have a good cheat sheet for the RPG? Starting a campaign on Tuesday and there seems like there are alot of little things to remember.

Probably a bit late on this but here's one I found on the FF forums:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/285320-play-crib-sheet/

Mechayahiko
May 27, 2011

Doctor Rope

Strange Cares posted:

Probably a bit late on this but here's one I found on the FF forums:

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/285320-play-crib-sheet/

Thanks. Exactly what we need.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

The Scorpion & Crab Preview is Up!

Midnight Revels - Probably the go to Water province now? Not a forced reaction so you don't need to ever bow your own guys but at the same time once it's flipped you probably won't ever catch someone with it again. Neutral Water provinces are just the worst.

Daring Challenger - Not great. The lack of any sort of political ability is a real pain.

Honed Nodachi - Fairly strong effect but the effective 3 fate cost to get use out of it is pretty detrimental to it. It's just not worth the value unless you're absolutely gettng to knock out an opponent's unit with a few fate on it. There's a lot of ways for your opponent to get around the ability as well. I don't see this beng very good.

Yasuki Procurer - I like this. Although the Scorpion in me is more than happy to see my opponent dishonor their own characters, a flat 2/2/2 sat line is solid and getting to save a fate on a character or attachment is real good.

Shosuro Hametsu - There's definitely some potential here. Stat line is a weak but given the power, I'm kind of ok with that. Particularly if I plan to cheat this guy in at the end of the turn. Currently, there are three potential targets for this, and a 4th on the way that we'll get to in a moment. Stolen Breath is a nice option as a 1x, and while being able to grab Tainted Koku is nice I think that's still quite janky, which leaves Fiery Madness and that's just kind of ok. Tutoring is never bad, so I'm not going to totally write this off, like I said; there's potential.

Kirei-ko - The 4th poison card, maybe the most useful of the bunch. Even at 1 cost, a card that bow someone after they've performed an action on their card coming in the set where almost everyone is getting a character with a duel is super strong. Probably be tough to find a match up where this card wouldn't bow someone.

Loyal Challenger - Good stat line, though fair weak on the ability side as you aren't really going to be winning too many duels against the units you really want to blank. The gaining and losing honor trait is just kind of wonky.

PaybackJack fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 2, 2019

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Looking at running the Beginner Game online but one of my players has a pathological hatred of Discord, so no dice bot. Are there any good alternatives for playing 5e over the internet short of having everyone load up the dice app?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Roll20 has one too.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Emerald Empire is now up on DTRPG, and I'm working through it, but I am really enjoying it. Will have my analyses of the new Schools...maybe tomorrow? Most of 'em are real good!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Imperial Schools

Miya Cartographer: The Cartographer is an Artisan/Courtier, with a decent mix of combat and social focus that leans more to social. They are also pretty good at wilderness survival and exploration, of course. Their social and survival focus is reflected in their basic tech, which is excellent: Well Traveled, which gives them a small array of useful tricks and one big ability. They always know where north is, they can always find a landmark to navigate by, and most importantly, whenever they make a check to remember or gain information about geography, politics or society, they can add their school rank in kept dice set to Opportunity or Success, their choice per die. Their capstone, Emerald Explorer, is somewhat less impressive but still useful in a lot of combat situations - once per scene, they can make an easy Survival check to allow a bunch of allies to ignore negative effects from terrain for the rest of the scene.

Miya Herald: The Herald is a Courtier and is almost purely social, but really good at it. They do learn some fighting skills, but it's distinctly a secondary focus. However, this doesn't matter, because their actual ability is terrifying. Voice of the Emperor allows them once per round, when another character in range 0-4 succeeds at an Attack or Scheme action, to give that character their school rank in stress. Every round. It only gets better and better. Their capstone, Blessings of the Emperor, lets them once per scene make a Command check to target a bunch of characters based on their Glory. For the rest of the scene, those characters have to forfeit honor and glory to attack the Herald (and, with Opportunities, some allies), and even if they do, their TNs go up to do so. The penalties go away if the you attack them or their allies, but even so, that's pretty great.

Otomo Schemer: The Schemer is a Courtier, pretty purely social, with only a smattering of combat skill on their curriculum. Their core ability, Necessary Actions, means they never lose honor or glory for lying or deception for the good of Emperor or Empire, but lose double for lying for personal gain. In both cases, the judgment as to what counts is based on the character's opinions. Further, any time anyone stakes honor or glory to act against the Schemer's desires, the Schemer can force them to have to stake (school rank) additional honor or glory. Their capstone is more distinctly impressive, though this shouldn't be underestimated socially, I think. The capstone is Majesty of the Throne: Once per scehe, they can make a Command check against any number of people within range 0-5, targeting the highest status rank among them. If they succeed, all targets become Dazed and Disoriented.

Next time: The Seppun, monks, maybe the Kitsune and Kolat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Seppun Astrologer: Shugenja/Artisan, mostly invocations but with some shuji on the curriculum, too. Their gimmick is prediction, which is pretty powerful. Their base power is Just As Predicted, which lets them, at the start of the session or during downtime, make a Theology check. They can then take up to their school rank of their kept dice and set them aside. Until the end of the session or the next downtime scene, whichever comes first, whenever anyone makes a check using the same Ring as their Theology check, the Astrologer can replace any of their kept dice with an equal number of reserved dice of the same type. This is extremely potent, if obviously limited in how often you can do it. Their capstone is equally impressive - Foreseen in the Stars, which lets them, once per session, spend a Void Point to declare that they predicted an event in the curret scene would happen, and have prepared for it, retroactively allowing them to declare any preparations that the GM approves, making skill checks retroactively as needed.

Seppun Palace Guard: Bushi. mostly combat focus but good access to social skills via curriculum and some shuji on it. Their basic technique, Speed of Heaven, is not fancy and is very simple but it's effective, in that going first is real good. Whenever they succeed on any initiative check during a skirmish or duel, they add their school rank in successes. Their capstone is equally impressive-yet-simple, if expensive to fuel: The Clouds Part, which lets them, once per round, spend a Void to get their honor rank in bonus successes on any successful Attack or Support check.

Fortunist Monk: Monk. Oddly, Fortunist Monks don't get kiho. This doesn't make a ton of sense to me. They instead have a solid mxi of kata and shuji. That said, they also receive access to Invocations via their technique, Blessing of the Fortunes. You select a Fortune that you are primarily dedicated to, and at chargen and every rank up, you get an invocation appropriate to that Fortune for free. When using those Invocations, you get your school rank in bonus successes. There's a sidebar with the Seven Fortunes and suggested invocations for each, but you can pick a lesser Fortune just as easily and any Invocation the GM lets you have is available. Their capstone, Favor of the Fortunes, allows them to, once per scene, importune for any one invocation without any sacrifices or TN increase, using Meditation instead of the normal skill required for the invocation.

Shinseist Monk: Monk. They get kihos, kata and, via curriculum, a tiny handful of shuji access. They also are generally skillful, because of their technique: Embrace the Void. Whenever they spend Void to use the Seize the Moment rules, they can replace their skill with their school rank. If their skill was already equal or better, or if they had 5 ranks in the skill, they instead get one free kept die with an Opportunity result. Their capstone is nicely impressive - once per scene, they can use any one kiho they don't already know, using Meditation in place of the skill it would normally use. Since kiho are persistent buffs that remain up for, potentially, an entire scene, this basically means that a rank 6 Shinseist Monk has all kihos.

Kitsune Impersonate and Kolat Saboteur once I eat.