Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Okay, Ne0lation is insta-axe material compared to Chainsaw Man. It's basically anime Mr. Robot minus any real intrigue or authenticity.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also I kinda forgot how the work life of a mangaka, even a famous one basically still reads like someone living in a dumpster.

Like, go back and read months worth of the mangaka comments and see how many are them being like, "Man, this pre-packaged 90% preservative food I got from 7-11/gas station/the dumpster behind my studio is great!"

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Fabricated posted:

Also I kinda forgot how the work life of a mangaka, even a famous one basically still reads like someone living in a dumpster.

Like, go back and read months worth of the mangaka comments and see how many are them being like, "Man, this pre-packaged 90% preservative food I got from 7-11/gas station/the dumpster behind my studio is great!"

Japanese convenience stores are a far cry from 7/11 (although the latter seems to be trying to go that direction)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay Chainsawman you've got my attention. I want to see where this relationship is going.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Tarezax posted:

Japanese convenience stores are a far cry from 7/11 (although the latter seems to be trying to go that direction)

Japanese 7/11s are pretty nice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Ne0lation is extremely my poo poo.

And it's not trying to be Mr. Robot. It's trying to be a series about the super hacking character in the dumb CBS procedurals.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

so it's Bloody Monday season 4

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Japanese conbinis are amazing, I came back to Korean convenience stores and the quality disparity made me sad.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

dogsicle posted:

so it's Bloody Monday season 4

Holy gently caress I forgot all about that series that should have ended with the first story arc lol

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bloody monday was beautiful and ridiculous. it just wasn't, you know, good.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Chainsaw Man continues to hold my interest, though I kinda miss the eyepatch from the first chapter. I'm glad the girl is a bit unhinged herself.

Ne0, though, ain't doing it for me. The main character's whole persona kinda bugs me, and it's hard to drum up interest in the stakes when magical hacking solves everything. If VIZ hadn't just scrapped the magazine I might've read a few more chapters in between flipping to something else, but as is I doubt I'll remember to give it another chance.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
"No you see, I hacked your cellphone to overheat the battery causing it to explode."
This is either going to be so incredibly dumb and over the top that it loops back and becomes incredibly. Or it gets axed within 2 months.

Probably the latter.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm not sure which series you're talking about but that describes both of them.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Chainsaw Man won't be able to get by just on gore, but it has more going for it. Ne0;lation doesn't rise to even the level of Bloody Monday since Bloody Monday was beyond over-the-top where this is kinda boring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When does jk start in shounen jump?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Jose posted:

I don't know, I wonder if they'll start on the current chapter or from chapter 1?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if they don't start at 1 then it's kinda useless for free members, so they'll prob start at the beginning

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
can't take them long to catch up at the current scan rate

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Another interesting ch w/Blue Excorist and now I wish there was a spinoff manga featuring Shiro and the other former teachers. We're missing out on a lot of potential back story.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

What the hell, why does the desktop version of the Shounen Jump reader still require flash in the year 2018?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Nagatoro's rear end in a top hat friends trolling her while she tries to troll the main dude is the best part of that series.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Darth TNT posted:

I think I'm getting a whiplash from we can't study
Also Ogata fans Rejoice!

seemed like the story was going to just move past the confession from Uruka, but now it seems like it may have hit a nerve on Nariyuki.

I dunno, this guy is textbook dense.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

I dunno, this guy is textbook dense.

He's just a good boy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

IShallRiseAgain posted:

What the hell, why does the desktop version of the Shounen Jump reader still require flash in the year 2018?
I think up until a few months ago, Crunchyroll was also using a flash player.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Do Japanese people actually think people kiss each other on the cheek all the time in America (isn't that where Uruka is going?)?

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Do Japanese people actually think people kiss each other on the cheek all the time in America (isn't that where Uruka is going?)?

Probably the same reason they think Americans hug each other all the time.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Ytlaya posted:

I thought it was Australia.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Wark Say posted:

I think up until a few months ago, Crunchyroll was also using a flash player.

Well. Crunchyroll is a garbage site to the point that I can't actually give them money. Its a bug that it has had for years, and I'm not the only one to experience it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Ytlaya posted:

IIRC they usually say that "foreigners" do it, not specifically Americans. If I had to speculate on where this all came from, it sounds like something from late 19th/early 20th century travelogues ("I went to Europe and the roundeyes there greeted people with a kiss") that somehow got stuck in the public consciousness.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

IIRC they usually say that "foreigners" do it, not specifically Americans. If I had to speculate on where this all came from, it sounds like something from late 19th/early 20th century travelogues ("I went to Europe and the roundeyes there greeted people with a kiss") that somehow got stuck in the public consciousness.

I think usually portrayals of that sort of thing in Japanese media are associated specifically with Italians, but there are definitely some sillier series where such public displays of affection are attributed to "foreigners" generally. Often the Italian/foreign character gives a "greeting" kiss as an obvious pretext for a romantic kiss. My favorite take on this trope is Baise from Hunter x Hunter (which isn't set in our world), who offers to kiss Kurapica when she first meets him because "that's how we great people in the city," as a pretext for using her Nen ability, which lets her mind-control people she kisses.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

It's just a trope. I don't think they actually think that, but anime high school students think that whenever it's plot-convenient.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New 5toubun. Still have no idea what the hell is going on, but I think Miku is going full yandere here.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Ibblebibble posted:

New 5toubun. Still have no idea what the hell is going on, but I think Miku is going full yandere here.

:smith: I foresee a breakdown incoming from Miku.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Miku is gonna flat-out murder one of the other girls, and the genre of this manga is going to change. Actually, aren't they at a kind of ideal location for a horror/murder thriller story?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jose posted:

What's jk

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Jujutsu Kaisen.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is that the one about th kid who ate a finger and got demon powers

Did that end up being good

I forgot it even existed

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Is that the one about th kid who ate a finger and got demon powers

Did that end up being good

I forgot it even existed
Yep, and yes, surprisingly.

I find the main cast of kids to have bland designs but it's pretty drat good! There's a kinda nen-style combat system, and the relatively dark/edgy elements of the story and characters are actually done with purpose, rather than as a means to titillate the audience.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I really enjoyed both JK and Act-Age when they were Jump Starts so I'm excited to be able to read them all with the new Shonen Jump without having to rely on inconsistent scans since I tend to forget they've updated or what happened since the last chapter with the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jk is solid but the art's pretty rough and there are times where I feel like I missed a page somewhere. I like the premise and it has potential