Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
I vote for number 1

Someone make a poll

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Let's get a few more theme ideas from folks, then make the poll. I'm planning on starting the contest on January 2nd so nobody's too busy with holiday things to participate. So we have some time to keep brainstorming.

twoday
May 4, 2005

$5 meal - best meal you can make for $5, post the receipt

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

twoday posted:

$5 meal - best meal you can make for $5, post the receipt

Make it the local price of a Big Mac, for terminal media poisoning purposes.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
YAKISOBA-PAN AND KARAAGE (or, since both of these are inaccurate glosses anyway, "noodle buns and fried chicken")

Yakisoba-pan is a cheap, filling street food school-cafeteria staple. Originally developed at the now-closed Nozawa-ya bakery in Arakawa City, Tokyo when a customer asked for specialty A, the fried noodles, to go in specialty B, a grinder roll, its cheap ingredients, easy preparation, and shelf-stableness combine with its carbs-piled-on-carbs energy boost to make it narrative shorthand that the kid in a short-sleeved shirt or a plaid dress who's pulling it out of their backpack just got done with varsity practice or an interminable club meeting.

However, it's also doubly misnamed: yakisoba, "fried buckwheat noodles", does not actually contain buckwheat noodles. Instead, a wheat and egg noodle finished with an alkaline wash, known as "Chinese noodles" but not particularly Chinese, is used.

The proletarian character of the dish, and its terminal cuisine confusion even though we can point at the exact street address where it was invented, surely qualify it for this thread.

INGREDIENTS serving 6 (lightly adapted from ramuneᐝiRo's recipe for ingredient availability)

1 bundle dried non-instant ramen noodles - $1
6 hot dog or 3 grinder rolls - 50 cents
*3tbsp chuno sauce - 50 cents
*1tbsp oyster sauce - 10 cents
*1/2 chicken bouillon cube - 5 cents
Mayo
Aonori (or fine-chopped parsley in a pinch)
Red pickled ginger (not pink) - maybe 5 cents worth each? but an upfront of like $15

PREPARATION
1) Mix starred ingredients together in a bowl, and set aside.

2) Boil noodles in unsalted water 4 minues.

Drain, rinsing with cold water.

Chill in refrigerator.

Clean your loving fridge, you slob.
3) Slice rolls if necessary, and spread with butter or margarine.

4) Heat an oiled skillet over medium heat. Add noodles and stir-fry for 1 minute.

5) Pour sauce over noodles while continuing to stirfry until absorbed but still moist. You're going for lo mein texture here.

6) Transfer noodles into rolls.
7) Garnish with mayo, aonori, and ginger.

Karaage (literally, 'Chinese-fried') is, continuing the theme, at this point far removed from the standard Chinese preparation of fried foods. However, it does still share the step of breading in starch immediately before the fry. While the process can be applied to any number of veggies or proteins, when its name is used alone, it invariably refers to deliciously savory and tender fried chicken pieces, easily found within a couple minutes' walk of any station. It's some of the best fried chicken you'll probably ever have, and it can be made with ten minutes of active prep and a wok.

INGREDIENTS serving 4

1-2 chicken thighs, skinned and deboned then chopped into bite-size pieces (approx. 350g) - $1
*3tbsp soy sauce - 15 cents
*3tbsp rice wine - 10 cents
*1 egg - 15 cents
*1 clove garlic, grated - 5 cents
*1tbsp minced onion - 5 cents
*1tbsp ginger, grated - 5 cents
*1tbsp Asian radish, cleaned and grated - 5 cents
Cabbage - 12oz, 30 cents
Potato starch - buy it immediately after Passover for 25 cents a can, negligable
Pastry flour - 10 cents

PREPARATION
1) Combine starred ingredients,

then add with chicken to a resealable bag, making sure the chicken is evenly covered. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
2) Fill a wok or Dutch oven with oil and heat to 160°/325°.
3) Drain excess marinade from bag, then add 1/2 to 1tbsp each pastry flour and potato starch per 100g chicken to the bag, kneading to ensure an even mix. Realize you forgot to drain. Rescue it by doubling the volumes of each.

3b) You can also dredge manually and avoid that problem at all while getting a gorgeous craggy batter, but :effort:
4) Pull chicken pieces from the bag and drop into oil, frying until a light brown.
5) Remove from oil and let drain. Heat oil to 190°/375°and return chicken to oil until a hearty brown.

6) Traditionally, serve over finely-shredded cabbage (a wide Y-peeler along a freshly cut face of it is great for this!) with lemon juice and tartar sauce. Realistically, dump whatever sauce you want on, they're better and cheaper tendies without the stigma.

Total cost: 40¢ + 50¢ = filling-rear end meal with carbs, protein, and token veg for 90 cents a plate. Spend the leftover on an apple or something.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Mandoric posted:

Make it the local price of a Big Mac, for terminal media poisoning purposes.

Yeah I was thinking of how to do this outside of the US, this is a good measure. Let's call it the Big Mac Challenge and try to get McDonald's to sponsor it

twoday
May 4, 2005

Mandoric posted:

YAKISOBA-PAN AND KARAAGE (or, since both of these are inaccurate glosses anyway, "noodle buns and fried chicken")

Wow we already have a frontrunner

This is awesome and I will make it some time this week

What I meant was a recipe where theoretically you have no ingredients laying around and can walk into a store with $5 or the price of a Big Mac, and purchase everything you need to make the dish with that, and show how you make it and post the receipt

But that is a little extreme, maybe we can save that for the next round

twoday has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Dec 11, 2018

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

twoday posted:

Wow we already have a frontrunner

This is awesome and I will make it some time this week

What I meant was a recipe where theoretically you have no ingredients laying around and can walk into a store with $5 or the price of a Big Mac, and purchase everything you need to make the dish with that, and show how you make it and post the receipt

The "Start with literally nothing and only spend five bux" approach would mean basically all seasonings are out of the picture, which would really limit variety. What if it was the price of a big mac not including spices, flour, oil, butter etc? (Standard pantry items, basically)

Another idea:
It's A Shithole Specialty: Pick a dish from one of the countries designated as a "Shithole" by our brave leader and cook it.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Mandoric posted:

:five:

twoday
May 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

The "Start with literally nothing and only spend five bux" approach would mean basically all seasonings are out of the picture, which would really limit variety. What if it was the price of a big mac not including spices, flour, oil, butter etc? (Standard pantry items, basically)

Another idea:
It's A Shithole Specialty: Pick a dish from one of the countries designated as a "Shithole" by our brave leader and cook it.

Yeah it would emphasize technique. Maybe there could be a fixed palette of basic ingredients as you say, but’s let’s save it for another time.

The Kara-age recipe goes the other way, with the 10 cents worth of soy sauce, and that looks like it kicks rear end, and like it took effort to write up. I don’t want to discourage from being an entry in whatever we are doing

Btw, awesome thread good job

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Mandoric posted:

hell yea

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

twoday posted:

Nah it's a good idea and I'd be willing to take a shot at it. Math would be a bit blurry because calculating the single serving cost of stuff like spices is tricky. A big mac over here is €4,20 though so it shouldn't be too hard to be within budget, I rarely spend that much on a single meal anyway.

I'll give this a try in a few days when I run out of chili to reheat and figure out what I want to make.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

bloom posted:

Nah it's a good idea and I'd be willing to take a shot at it. Math would be a bit blurry because calculating the single serving cost of stuff like spices is tricky. A big mac over here is €4,20 though so it shouldn't be too hard to be within budget, I rarely spend that much on a single meal anyway.

I'll give this a try in a few days when I run out of chili to reheat and figure out what I want to make.

This is a good idea too: only calculate the $$$ of the portion you use of each ingredient, totaling the big mac price or lower. This would cut the receipt requirement out, though. Your idea as you put it is good though twoday, I was thinking about it how I conventionally think of groceries (plain raw grains, meat, veg, with spices and such sold separately) which would be very limiting but it occured to me there's a ton of pre-seasoned canned/boxed things that could be incorporated into a unique dish. I think I could work with the "Start with nothing, spend five bux for everything" approach.

twoday
May 4, 2005

A lot of the times spices and seasonings and other ingredients are interchangeable and fall into sets of categories.

- Thyme and rosemary and bay leaves and savory and epazote and oregano are all savory herbs.

- Parsley and coriander and dill and basil and chives, etc. are all “fines herbes” as the French say.

- Coriander, cumin, cardamom, etc. are spices.

- The various colors of pepper, and Chiles, and Szechuan peppercorns and grains of paradise are all peppers.

- Vinegars, limes, lemons, and sumac are often interchangeable.

- Fats are often interchangeable.

Really, honestly, most of the time you can substitute things within these categories and it will still turn out pretty good. I have made all kinds of substitutions in a pinch and sometimes it turns out better than what you would have made if you had the proper ingredients. Any proper proletarian cooking text should have a long list of possible substitutions and I don’t think that should really factor in. Unless there is a war raging, almost everyone always has one or two jars of random spices or mixes lying around, and some oil or soy sauce or some other staples.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Doc Walrus posted:

This is a good idea too: only calculate the $$$ of the portion you use of each ingredient, totaling the big mac price or lower. This would cut the receipt requirement out, though.

Yeah since mandoric already did a recipe that fits into this, let’s all do this for the first round

quote:

Your idea as you put it is good though twoday, I was thinking about it how I conventionally think of groceries (plain raw grains, meat, veg, with spices and such sold separately) which would be very limiting but it occured to me there's a ton of pre-seasoned canned/boxed things that could be incorporated into a unique dish. I think I could work with the "Start with nothing, spend five bux for everything" approach.

And let’s do this some other time, I’ll write up very specific instructions

The other challenge ideas are also all good, we have already set up the basis for several months worth of challenges imo

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The receipt requirement is fine, but most savings worth a second tug on a dead dog's cock come from buying produce and oils and such in bulk, so "start with nothing, and buy Only Five Dollars Of Food" is really loving stupid for a challenge.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Yeah even I agree with that, and it was my idea

I have a surplus of tortillas and have been eating little quesadillas all day and I feel good about it

twoday has issued a correction as of 04:13 on Dec 11, 2018

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
C-Spam Iron Chef: Peas, Lamb And Bread

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Okay so current Iron Chef tier list:
1.Big Mac Challenge (priced by portion used)
2.Post-Guillotine Cuisine
3.Rum & Cum

We have the rest of December to continue brainstorming but I think we're off to a very good start.

Also

twoday posted:

Btw, awesome thread good job

:swoon:

Doc Walrus has issued a correction as of 04:33 on Dec 11, 2018

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the secret to doing a $5 challenge is Stealing. cheers

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

R. Guyovich posted:

have you done that in china yet

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

R. Guyovich posted:

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

R. Guyovich posted:

how about you can only buy from that weird discount rack at the back of the store or marked down grey meats

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i say swears online posted:

have you done that in china yet

$5 is 34 元 so there's no need

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

how about you can only buy from that weird discount rack at the back of the store or marked down grey meats

A Dollar Store challenge would be cool too.

Anyway I just got my new thermos and I'm gonna fill it up with soup for breakfast from now on. I want soup ideas! Preferably on the thinner side consistency-wise, stews would be a little hard to deal with here. My list so far is:
1.Tom Kha
2.Miso
3.Clear Broth Mushroom
4.Cream of Mushroom w/ Green Onions
5.Just a Bunch Of loving Chicken Broth

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

A Dollar Store challenge would be cool too.

Anyway I just got my new thermos and I'm gonna fill it up with soup for breakfast from now on. I want soup ideas! Preferably on the thinner side consistency-wise, stews would be a little hard to deal with here. My list so far is:
1.Tom Kha
2.Miso
3.Clear Broth Mushroom
4.Cream of Mushroom w/ Green Onions
5.Just a Bunch Of loving Chicken Broth

you forgot french onion.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Potato leek soup.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Plinkey posted:

you forgot french onion.

Would French onion keep well overnight? I wouldn't have time to make that in the morning.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

reignonyourparade posted:

Potato leek soup.

Never had this before but it sounds awesome. Same question though, would it keep well overnight?

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

Would French onion keep well overnight? I wouldn't have time to make that in the morning.

idk man, im toaster ovening a taco bell quesodilla right now

but it might, problem is it's go a lot of fat in it

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like how much work do you want to do in the morning?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Doc Walrus posted:

Never had this before but it sounds awesome. Same question though, would it keep well overnight?

I'm the sort of person who makes big batches of stuff so I only have to cook twice a week and I've never had a problem with it.
For best results make sure to blend half of it and pour it back in, ends up super creamy despite containing exactly 0 cream.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
french onion keeps moderately well, and would certainly survive a night in the fridge and gentle reheating. potato leek soup keeps PREPOSTEROUSLY well and gets better/more settled the longer it sits.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
Excellent. I'll add both to the list.

twoday
May 4, 2005

A great lunch is tortellini floating around in chicken broth with black pepper, parm, and a bit of parsley. I think it could survive in a thermos.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

reignonyourparade posted:

I'm the sort of person who makes big batches of stuff so I only have to cook twice a week and I've never had a problem with it.
For best results make sure to blend half of it and pour it back in, ends up super creamy despite containing exactly 0 cream.

this is a must for any potato soup. it's so good

but also add cream

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

twoday posted:

A great lunch is tortellini floating around in chicken broth with black pepper, parm, and a bit of parsley. I think it could survive in a thermos.

:chloe:

but the pasta will get soft & disgusting. you like that?

twoday
May 4, 2005

It works fine when not in a thermos, I have never tried it with a thermos, so I don't know what it would be like

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I mean you could just add the tortellini when you're eating it, instead of putting it in the thermos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

There we go