Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kilometers Davis posted:

See that’s what confuses me so much because I haven’t had anything like that happen ever. It’s weird and I feel like there’s a conspiracy going on with multiple versions of RDR2 out in the wild.

Really I think it just gels with people differently. RDR2 feels so controllable to me. I never have something happen that I don’t expect other than some physics goofs and a few times where I messed up moving from cover. I think they designed RDR2 with my preferences in mind. Who knows.

Yup, it's a decent reminder of what's subjective. Personally I like it being slow and deliberate, and aside from a few things I've never had my gameplay experience that negatively impacted by them. I wouldn't enjoy it one bit if it were controlled like the typical 3rd person game where your character flies around on tractionless shoes going 100 mph at all times. I would take one RDR2 over a hundred Dynasty Warrior games and unfortunately that's also the approximate ratio the respective games are published at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Samurai Sanders posted:

If Iron Rain is like the previous spinoff game, the only thing you will be preparing for is for how much worse it is than EDF5.
I'm sad: I expected much more optimism from you, Colonel. But instead you see the armor levels as half empty instead of half full ;)

But there is reason for hope that Iron Rain will turn out better than Armageddon: in this recent Polygon interview the producer Nobuyuki Okajima was asked point blank if Iron Rain would have the same issues as the last side-project, and he answered they hope to have more positives than negatives from the previous side-project title:

https://www.polygon.com/interviews/2018/12/11/18135184/earth-defense-force-5-iron-rain-interview

quote:

Iron Rain isn’t the first attempt at a Western Earth Defense Force game. In 2011, D3 and Vicious Cycle Software released Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon. It received mixed reviews, especially from fans of the series. Were any lessons learned from that game that have helped with Iron Rain?

Honestly, that game wasn’t that good, quality-wise, but we got some positive feedback. And we saw the positive points in the game, versus some of the negatives. We put all the positives into Iron Rain.

Is there a specific example of these positive things?

So Insect Armageddon, the location was in Los Angeles. So one example is the location. The world space was pretty small in that game. So I didn’t want to do that this time. I wanted to make the map and the levels as big as possible.

And the ants must be brown, not black. It’s just a little, tiny detail. Like, color of the insects. And the ant was too small, too. I wanted it huge. Everything huge, you know?

There was no gigantic kaiju type of character in Insect Armageddon, so I definitely wanted to bring back the big, big guys.

Like the Godzilla-sized kaiju in the demo.

So there’s actually bigger kaiju than that in the game. Massive. It’s a secret, but they’re developing it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrNutt posted:

Yup, it's a decent reminder of what's subjective. Personally I like it being slow and deliberate, and aside from a few things I've never had my gameplay experience that negatively impacted by them. I wouldn't enjoy it one bit if it were controlled like the typical 3rd person game where your character flies around on tractionless shoes going 100 mph at all times. I would take one RDR2 over a hundred Dynasty Warrior games and unfortunately that's also the approximate ratio the respective games are published at.

Why compare it to something like DW, which is absolutely nothing like RDR2 other than being third person, instead of any number of open world third person games that have functional controls?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DrNutt posted:

:same: 100%

It all fits Arthur’s nature and the themes of the game flawlessly too. The interactions with the world are just as important to the story as any other part.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Sakurazuka posted:

Why compare it to something like DW, which is absolutely nothing like RDR2 other than being third person, instead of any number of open world third person games that have functional controls?

This reminds me of the Killzone 2 debate all over again. It was telling that Killzone 3 didn't have those controls so much that the developer argument that it was meant to feel "weighty" sounded like bullshit.

I remember Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4 had the same problem until they patched it out.

In any case, for me, RDR2 is a good game in spite of the controls, not because of them.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

If I was buying my first PS4 today I would pick from one of the Pro bundles. They’re packaged with some great games. If you’re going to jump in you might as well get the best system possible but if money is tight the slims are fine. I’m still playing on my launch PS4 and it never feels dated.

The stock controllers are the most comfortable controllers I’ve used. The ergonomics are excellent.
Ok. Wow, the Pro supports 4K? That's awesome since I just bought 4K monitor a few months ago. Also turns out I already have the Razer Ultimate 7.1 Headset for PS4, which I bought originally for PC gaming.

Subconsciously I must have been preparing to buy the PS4 Pro all along :krakentoot:

Wow, I could play Doom VFR. Is it worth it? I completed Doom 2016 on Nightmare. Does the PS4 VR headset work OK with glasses?

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Dec 12, 2018

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Killzone 2 had lovely controls and your character was a midget.

blackguy32 posted:

In any case, for me, RDR2 is a good game in spite of the controls, not because of them.

Yeah pretty much. I love the game. I don't mind the slow deliberate pace, but I find the controls to be pretty dysfunctional at times.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 12, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad the Killzone devs got to make a good game eventually

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

Killzone wasn't all bad, but good riddance, HZD is so much better.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sakurazuka posted:

Probably because the comparison was already made by two other posters on this very page??? If it's okay with you I could also compare it to HZD which has functional controls and also the same sort of breezy lack of weight that makes you feel like you're flying about on a flat smooth surface at all times instead of actually inhabiting and traversing a world with carefully crafted terrain.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Sakurazuka posted:

If Killzone 2 had better controls, it would have been a great FPS. The multiplayer was really good if not a bit chokepointy at times.

Shadow Fall would have been neat if all of the levels were mainly about you sneaking into Helghast facilities, but at a certain point in the game, the tone changes to a standard war shooter.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

nnnotime posted:

Does the PS4 VR headset work OK with glasses?

Yeah I wear glasses all the time and it works good. You can scratch the lenses with your glasses if you aren’t careful, but I only notice the scratches when I’m not playing.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

veni veni veni posted:

Killzone wasn't all bad, but good riddance, HZD is so much better.

I would love a new Killzone but if it dies for HZD as a franchise I’m okay with it.

DrNutt posted:

Probably because the comparison was already made by two other posters on this very page??? If it's okay with you I could also compare it to HZD which has functional controls and also the same sort of breezy lack of weight that makes you feel like you're flying about on a flat smooth surface at all times instead of actually inhabiting and traversing a world with carefully crafted terrain.

HZD is my #1 PS4 game but yeah I agree, even though I thought HZD controlled and felt super solid. There’s nothing quite like how real the traversal in RDR2/most rockstar games feel. It’s special.

nnnotime posted:

Ok. Wow, the Pro supports 4K? That's awesome since I just bought 4K monitor a few months ago. Also turns out I already have the Razer Ultimate 7.1 Headset for PS4, which I bought originally for PC gaming.

Subconsciously I must have been preparing to buy the PS4 Pro all along :krakentoot:

Wow, I could play Doom VFR. Is it worth it? I completed Doom 2016 on Nightmare. Does the PS4 VR headset work OK with glasses?

I have a huge head and big glasses and it’s real comfy!

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

What's the best game that you guys would recommend for around $20? I have credit in my wallet that is burning a hole. I was going to get shadow of the tomb raider but it looks like it's off sale now. Celeste? I really wanted it on switch but not sure if the portability is worth. I'm open to anything cause I enjoy almost any genre of game except strategy civ type games.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

loudog999 posted:

What's the best game that you guys would recommend for around $20? I have credit in my wallet that is burning a hole. I was going to get shadow of the tomb raider but it looks like it's off sale now. Celeste? I really wanted it on switch but not sure if the portability is worth. I'm open to anything cause I enjoy almost any genre of game except strategy civ type games.

What kind of a game are you looking for? I put forward Horizon Zero Dawn or Dishonored 2. Both are very solid games.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

What kind of a game are you looking for? I put forward Horizon Zero Dawn or Dishonored 2. Both are very solid games.

I have both of those, something that I can listen to a podcast while I play without missing a bunch of story.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Double post is not edit

loudog999 fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 12, 2018

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrNutt posted:

Oh yeah I guess the other similarity is they both have horses.
And yeah at least that's comparing apples to apples.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Yeah I wear glasses all the time and it works good. You can scratch the lenses with your glasses if you aren’t careful, but I only notice the scratches when I’m not playing.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I have a huge head and big glasses and it’s real comfy!
Thanks for the feedback. Just ordered the PS4 Pro. After I get it setup and going, then will try out the VR headset next.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kilometers Davis posted:

HZD is my #1 PS4 game but yeah I agree, even though I thought HZD controlled and felt super solid. There’s nothing quite like how real the traversal in RDR2/most rockstar games feel. It’s special.

I've tried to get into it several times but despite 99% of it seeming like exactly my poo poo, when I fire it up and play I start getting the "just another map game" doldrums. I'm glad it's been a big success though, showing that you can take chances on things like new IPs AND female leads and do really well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nnnotime posted:

Thanks for the feedback. Just ordered the PS4 Pro. After I get it setup and going, then will try out the VR headset next.

If you're getting a PSVR headset as well, make sure it's a Mk.2 headset. The revised model has passthrough for HDR, the original doesn't.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

loudog999 posted:

I have both of those, something that I can listen to a podcast while I play without missing a bunch of story.

I would say Shadow of the Colossus since it’s $15 but playing a game like that while listening to podcasts is the most cursed action.

What about Burnout Paradise?

nnnotime posted:

Nice! There’s a PSVR thread here too. It has been pretty active and is a great way to get suggestions and help with vr stuff. Have you used vr before?

DrNutt posted:

I've tried to get into it several times but despite 99% of it seeming like exactly my poo poo, when I fire it up and play I start getting the "just another map game" doldrums. I'm glad it's been a big success though, showing that you can take chances on things like new IPs AND female leads and do really well.

That’s fair. I actually had lots of issues with it mid game but I wasn’t approaching it properly. If you ever get the urge to try again don’t be afraid to go straight for the main story.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

I would say Shadow of the Colossus since it’s $15 but playing a game like that while listening to podcasts is the most cursed action.

What about Burnout Paradise?

This is going to be tough because I really use the PlayStation Store as a money pit, I have both of those. I may just save it until Shadow goes on sale again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

loving...

Okay this is my first holiday season with a PS4 but the lesson I’m learning is don’t buy ANYTHING between September and the holidays because it’ll go on sale for half price by then

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

loudog999 posted:

This is going to be tough because I really use the PlayStation Store as a money pit, I have both of those. I may just save it until Shadow goes on sale again.

I am going to say The Division. I played that game a lot and jammed through my own soundtrack the whole time.

Also, I am kind of disappointed in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's not terrible. It's just.... there.

Also, get Dying Light if you don't have it or Diablo 3.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

blackguy32 posted:

I am going to say The Division. I played that game a lot and jammed through my own soundtrack the whole time.

Also, I am kind of disappointed in Shadow of the Tomb Raider. It's not terrible. It's just.... there.

Also, get Dying Light if you don't have it or Diablo 3.

The division is one of the best loot-shoots of the last few years and the survival DLC rules so very much.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you're getting a PSVR headset as well, make sure it's a Mk.2 headset. The revised model has passthrough for HDR, the original doesn't.
Thank you, kind goon: your tip is appreciated.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Nice! There’s a PSVR thread here too. It has been pretty active and is a great way to get suggestions and help with vr stuff. Have you used vr before?
I tried a Vive demo at Microcenter one time and was dismayed by the fact I could not see details well with my terrible vision (-5.25 and -7.25). I don't recall if I was wearing my glasses with the headset or not.

But I will be sure to check out the PSVR thread for more info.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

loving...

Okay this is my first holiday season with a PS4 but the lesson I’m learning is don’t buy ANYTHING between September and the holidays because it’ll go on sale for half price by then

If you bought Tetris Effect early, that means you’ve been blessed with wisdom and balance in your life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

nnnotime posted:

I tried a Vive demo at Microcenter one time and was dismayed by the fact I could not see details well with my terrible vision (-5.25 and -7.25). I don't recall if I was wearing my glasses with the headset or not.

A quick try in a store probably isn't gonna sell you on a Vive if you have vision issues, but don't write one off altogether. You can get prescription lenses for them, plus even without those (if you use your glasses) you probably needed to adjust the inter-pupilary distance as well as the actual display distance from your eyes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Dunkey is good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY-_dsTlosI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4_auMe1HsY

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Dec 12, 2018

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Which games have the most obvious Pro improvements ?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Probably any Sony first-party title from Horizon onward.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Monster Hunter World and Nioh have some very good Pro mode stuff. Just Cause 3 runs at a real frame rate with Boost mode.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Holy poo poo, that's worth all the dollars and cents. So soon.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Of the games I've played MHW needs the Pro just to not look sucky, TLOU remastered sees a huge improvement to its 60fps mode, SotC adds a beautiful 60fps performance setting that is imho the best way to experience that game. The supersampling and sharper textures you get for Horizon and God of War are :discourse: but those games run fine just on base hardware. And somehow Bloodborne performs even worse in Boost Mode.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MHW looks and plays fine. GOTY-level fine.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I just got a pro and tried Spider-Man and was like... ok this is nicer but it’s not buy a new console nicer

The 60fps god of war was an insane boost. I’ve seen SOTC pro vs base and agreed it’s like 2 different games.

I personally couldn’t play MHW during the beta on base PS4 because of frame rate and bought it on pc but I’ll try the free demo they’re apparently doing to see if it’s much better on pro

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh no, it finally happened; I've bought all the properties in Yakuza 0.

I no longer have anything to burn away my income on. All I can do is watch my profits climb, no matter how hard I try to spend my cash :stare:.

And to think I once thought Miracle Johnson was overpriced at 48,000,000 yen as an Advisor :stonklol:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

MHW looks and plays fine. GOTY-level fine.

Should I jump back in after I finish RDR2 or should I wait until the chilly mcfreeze expansion drops???

Or should I take a boat to the land of colossi???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

Should I jump back in after I finish RDR2 or should I wait until the chilly mcfreeze expansion drops???

Or should I take a boat to the land of colossi???

Hmm, dunno, trust your heart. :) Maybe SotC or Bloodborne.

The MH expansion ain't dropping for 9 months.