Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Beamed posted:

Yeah, Endless Legend really did a lot to revitalize 4X with their attention to flavor and asymmetrical factions. It's one of the best games to come out in recent years.

Yeah that's why Fall from Heaven 2 is a great Civ game. It's different, it's niche, but it's a lot of fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg0PYsWK1dc

FIRST LOOK: Canada – Wilfrid Laurier

Leader Ability - The Last Best West - Farms may be built on Tundra. After Civil Engineering, may build farms on Tundra Hills as well. The cost of purchasing snow and tundra tiles is reduced by 50%. Extraction rate of all consumable (strategic? Accumulated?) resources is doubled on Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra, and Tundra Hills tiles.

National Ability - Four Faces of Peace - Cannot declare or be the target of surprise wars, or declare war on citystates. Gain +100% Favor from emergencies or scored competitions. Gain +1 Favor for every 100 Tourism.

Unique Unit - Mountie - Light Cavalry unit (replaces Cavalry?). Can create a National Park. +5 Combat Strength when fighting within 2 tiles of a National Park. Additional +5 if you own that park.

Unique Infrastructure - Ice Hockey Rink - Only may be built on tundra or snow, one per city. Provides +2 Appeal and +1 Amenities. +1 Culture for each adjacent Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra, or Tundra Hills tile. Unlocking Flight provides Tourism. Unlocking Professional Sports provides +2 Production and +2 Food. Provides +4 Culture if adjacent to an Entertainment Complex with a Stadium.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Basically just Scotland 2.0, but on snow. Neat.

FreeMars
Mar 22, 2011
Just like real life

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Beamed posted:

Yeah, Endless Legend really did a lot to revitalize 4X with their attention to flavor and asymmetrical factions. It's one of the best games to come out in recent years.

EDIT: oh yeah I forgot districts were an idea taken wholesale from it lol

Disagreed.

EL's kind of radical Asymmetry would be good if they could remotely balance it and the AI was capable of using it. Neither of those is true.

EL would be a better game if they practiced some restraint. Not every faction needs to play completely different, especially since the focus on everyone playing completely different creates an incompetent AI that can't play anyone. Which is the same kind of problem that has crippled civ5 and civ6.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 11, 2018

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

All in with the stereotypes I see.

Though I do like a diplomatic civ for Canada.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Real Canada civ wouldn't be able to obtain yields through any method but harvesting features and resources :colbert:

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Unique improvement: oil tailings pond. Kills birds but gets you a lot of production. Exacerbates climate change.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Farms on Tundra is low-key loving amazing.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

mitochondritom posted:

Leader Ability - The Last Best West - Farms may be built on Tundra. After Civil Engineering, may build farms on Tundra Hills as well. The cost of purchasing snow and tundra tiles is reduced by 50%. Extraction rate of all consumable (strategic? Accumulated?) resources is doubled on Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra, and Tundra Hills tiles.

National Ability - Four Faces of Peace - Cannot declare or be the target of surprise wars, or declare war on citystates. Gain +100% Favor from emergencies or scored competitions. Gain +1 Favor for every 100 Tourism.

Unique Unit - Mountie - Light Cavalry unit (replaces Cavalry?). Can create a National Park. +5 Combat Strength when fighting within 2 tiles of a National Park. Additional +5 if you own that park.

Unique Infrastructure - Ice Hockey Rink - Only may be built on tundra or snow, one per city. Provides +2 Appeal and +1 Amenities. +1 Culture for each adjacent Snow, Snow Hills, Tundra, or Tundra Hills tile. Unlocking Flight provides Tourism. Unlocking Professional Sports provides +2 Production and +2 Food. Provides +4 Culture if adjacent to an Entertainment Complex with a Stadium.

No surprise wars is interesting to avoid a rush but without any other early game help he seems totally worthless in multiplayer. Tundra farms aren't good except for the Peter player who captures his cities, lol.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Do we know what color Japan is being changed to?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I find it weird that they're apparently building state-funded, giant ice hockey rinks before you research professional sports. And then after you research it your skating rinks provide... food? Is that from concession stands or what?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I respect a lot of what Endless Legend tried to do, but the decision to have a worse combat system than the barebones Civ one kinda killed it for me.

Yea the combat sucks, which I guess is my complaint about the current civs.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Roger Explosion posted:

They're still awful unless you get St. Basil's.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Roger Explosion posted:

Seems niche. What am I not seeing? I guess with feudalism you can convert an entire builder into three-food tiles, so with a free builder from ancestral hall you can send a settler into the great empty north and get yourself to an I guess guaranteed seven pop city. And since you probably sent the settler up there for a specific resource tile, you'll need another builder charge, maybe from some other builder or maybe from the social policy. But if there was a resource I wanted up there, I probably would have settled that spot with any civ.

I guess it isn't NOT worth it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

markus_cz posted:

The Endless games are doing really well in terms of character, mood and storytelling.

I feel the exact opposite, in that the Endless games have long reams of overembellished flavor text that I can't be bothered to read. They're fun enough if you set engagements to auto, but to me the font is so tiny and 90% of the writing is so meaningless that it might as well not even be there. They really need to learn the golden rule, "less is more."

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Yeah, I kinda skip all the quest text instinctively. I do think they do a good job of characterizing the factions right away, both with their intro movies and their game mechanics, but the writing itself it not a strong point.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

mitochondritom posted:

Hard as gently caress, boys

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Just popping in to say Wilfrid Laurier is a legit best pick. Mr Canada himself.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
It should've been Celine Dion.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Gyshall posted:

Hard as gently caress, boys

Way of the road, Bubs. Way of the road.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Bedurndurn posted:

Maybe we'll get that one in the same expansion USA gets Gavin McInnes

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bedurndurn posted:

And the unique ability is a spy named Jim Carrey. I'm onto that motherfucker, that's right

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Zigmidge posted:

Maybe we'll get that one in the same expansion USA gets Gavin McInnes

Isn't he a Canadian?

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Bedurndurn posted:

Should have been Don Cherry, with a different suit on every time the leader animation is invoked.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!
The hockey rink thing is cute enough that I find myself kinda liking it.

But the RCMP as a military unit though? Fuckin' embarrassing!

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Overall, I'll have fun with this civ just because I get so much land to myself, that nobody else will wants to invade. Just rush to the civic that lets you make triangle farms, and you'll just fine in your frozen hellscape.

Clarste posted:

I find it weird that they're apparently building state-funded, giant ice hockey rinks before you research professional sports. And then after you research it your skating rinks provide... food? Is that from concession stands or what?

I don't really mind a hockey rink as a UI, but I do think the food and production is stupid. I'm not really a fan of all these UIs that provide insane amounts of every type of yield just because the civ needs it to make up for a deficiency.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

bahamut posted:

Constable Benton Fraser would like a word.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Delsaber posted:

Constable Benton Fraser would like a word.

I actually thought you meant to say Brendan Fraser because he played Dudley Do-Right. I totally forgot about Due South.

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer

bahamut posted:

The hockey rink thing is cute enough that I find myself kinda liking it.

I mean, the NWMP participated in the Boer War, and RNWMP and RCMP units participated in WW1 and WW2 respectively...

Canuck-Errant fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 12, 2018

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Civilization VI: Rule Britannia

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if the devs have scrambled to slap together a Hannibal model for Carthage or Roxelana for the Ottomans or if it'll just be a drip by drip confirmation of civs we already know about

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The previews don't list the leader's agendas, but Well of Souls gets them from somewhere:

Raven Banner (Matthias Corvinus): Levies troops from city-states. Likes civilizations that also use city-state troops, dislikes those that shun such mercenaries.
Kaitiakitanga (Kupe): Kupe watches everyone's chops, national park/woods additions and CO2 emissions. Treat the planet well (or at least better than your neighbors) and he will like you.
Canadian Expeditionary Force (Wilfrid Laurier): Likes civs who also respond to emergencies, dislikes those who don't participate.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Canadian Expeditionary Force (Wilfrid Laurier): Likes civs who also respond to emergencies, dislikes those who don't participate.

Laurier is going to be pretty pissed off most of the time since zero civs have ever participated in any emergency. Even with the emergency rework, I'm not expecting that to be fixed.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The previews don't list the leader's agendas, but Well of Souls gets them from somewhere:

Raven Banner (Matthias Corvinus): Levies troops from city-states. Likes civilizations that also use city-state troops, dislikes those that shun such mercenaries.
Kaitiakitanga (Kupe): Kupe watches everyone's chops, national park/woods additions and CO2 emissions. Treat the planet well (or at least better than your neighbors) and he will like you.

Introducing Venice: they hate civs that settle multiple cities.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Well, they already did some pretty impossible agendas (hates if you engage a major gameplay mechanic in any way, hates you if you don't adopt his religion and spam its attached worship building, builds an entirely unreasonable number of holy sites is leery of anyone who produces less faith, calls anyone nearby a smelly barbarian), so why not?

Laurier is probably gonna be easy to befriend at least, since you just have to respond to a single emergency to be above average, unless he's like Curtin where he'll find a way to be a warmonger every single game.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 12, 2018

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Krazyface posted:

Introducing Venice: they hate civs that settle multiple cities.

trait: currently exists in game

effect: hates

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Laurier is probably gonna be easy to befriend at least, since you just have to respond to a single emergency to be above average, unless he's like Curtin where he'll find a way to be a warmonger every single game.

He is going to hate you from the start of the game since you will have not responded to any emergencies at the start of the game.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

The Human Crouton posted:

He is going to hate you from the start of the game since you will have not responded to any emergencies at the start of the game.

Just make him love nukes and you've got the new Gandhi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Oh, Civ5 tech tree. I have gatling guns before I've researched gunpowder.

And for that matter, I've researched radio but not steel.