Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mummy Xzibit posted:

For the overnight crew craving political drama, you might want to tune in to the BBC right now...

theresa may is facing a leadership challenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't. He's a liar. They should just say "he's lying". All this doublespeak to get around the fact he blatantly lies all the loving time is the media being complicit in those lies.

The Pinocchios are extremely twee, but, uh, do you not think there's a connection between Pinocchio and lying?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

theresa may is facing a leadership challenge

How does this work, does she sit across from the challenger and they drink tea until one of their monocles falls off?

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Mummy Xzibit posted:

For the overnight crew craving political drama, you might want to tune in to the BBC right now...

Is this about the No Confidence challenge? Am I wrong to assume this is them trying to put in someone that will try as hard as they can to see Brexit through? What are the chances of someone like Farage becoming elected?

I'm not 100% clear on exactly how Parliament works or what the right wing has been up and what they're hoping to accomplish over there. My even bigger question is when will the FBI bring up charges on Farage.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Even the NeverTrumpers would rather have Trump rubber-stamp policy than a Dem president in 2020. It’s moral posturing that conveniently leaves out “I like this because it guarantees an R president.”
He was a consultant for Jones senate run in Alabama. Hardly just moral posturing on his part.

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Young Freud posted:

You're thinking too small. One, nuclear weapons are great shock weapons and would wipe out every major metropolitan area the Confederacy has even with tac nukes, but to truly win the war, you need to deploy counterinsurgency forces against the South to keep them from rolling back all those Reconstruction reforms. Two, if you have a time machine, why not go ahead in time and get some really special stuff that would help you with that counterinsurgency problem, like supersoldier terminator death squads versus the Klan and have them go all Project Phoenix on any Jim Crow motherfucker who dares drop a N-bomb in public.
I apologize for being overly terse in hopes of being concise, but clearly there's a lot more phases. And we don't want to bogged down in the tedium and details of the National Containment Fence, so for now let's just assume it's a basic Kaiju wall running the entire border of the Traitor States.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
I'm just impressed with a system where a leader can completely debase and embarrass themselves and face the proposition of losing office within a day.

I also wonder who has the stomach to replace her right now, given she was the only one who was really interested in the job after Brexit.

Farage is out of the question because this is purely a Tory question. Votes of no confidence called by one's own party are different from those that are called by the opposition, where the whole of parliament votes on a PM versus just the ruling party AFAIK. Farage was a part of UKIP before this year, and is now Independent.

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Should Babys Mange be held accountable for slurs he used in past incarnations? Like all the times Babys II called men "gaggots," which was short for "gaymaggots"

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Thank god Therexit is here.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mummy Xzibit posted:

I'm just impressed with a system where a leader can completely debase and embarrass themselves and face the proposition of losing office within a day.

I also wonder who has the stomach to replace her right now, given she was the only one who was really interested in the job after Brexit.

Farage is out of the question because this is purely a Tory question. Votes of no confidence called by one's own party are different from those that are called by the opposition, where the whole of parliament votes on a PM versus just the ruling party AFAIK. Farage was a part of UKIP before this year, and is now Independent.

When the opposition calls a vote of no confidence it's against the government as a whole, not the PM. This leads to a general election (or it should, were it not for Fixed Term Parliament Act fuckery).

Farage has nothing whatsoever to do with tory internal politics. Otherwise you're pretty much right

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, why does she have to answer to these shitheads? They're not a government entity/agency.

Happens all the time in civil lawsuits, whether it’s a private or government entity.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Barry Foster posted:

When the opposition calls a vote of no confidence it's against the government as a whole, not the PM. This leads to a general election (or it should, were it not for Fixed Term Parliament Act fuckery).

Farage has nothing whatsoever to do with tory internal politics. Otherwise you're pretty much right

Ok gotcha!

Anybody else watching this feed of 10 Dowling with 50% of the screen taken up by a Christmas Tree?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

yronic heroism posted:

Happens all the time in civil lawsuits, whether it’s a private or government entity.
this is, incidentally, also why everyone is salivating over various lawsuits against one Donald John Trump reaching discovery phases

except more so, because we can reasonably expect to discover juicy stuff / my_crimes.txt

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Eltoasto posted:

How does this work, does she sit across from the challenger and they drink tea until one of their monocles falls off?

The Sorting Hat decides

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Eltoasto posted:

In theory, the MPs choose two candidates who then go to the party as a whole. In practice the one with less support usually drops out before the final vote, because if there's one thing the tories hate it's letting the plebs have a say in anything.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pseudanonymous posted:

I don't. He's a liar. They should just say "he's lying". All this doublespeak to get around the fact he blatantly lies all the loving time is the media being complicit in those lies.

It's basically "this guy is willfully and repeatedly lying "

https://www.google.co.kr/amp/s/www....ver-over-again/

A Major Fucker
Mar 10, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Even though Babys II was old chronologically and biologically, he was basically a boy in the grand scheme of His lives. So what if he called male fans of female vocalists "ticklers" and "Lauras"? Must his apologies be as eternal as His recurrence?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
What the hell do they (anyone) want May to do? I'm not well educated on her politics, but Brexit just seems like a disaster. What is or isn't she doing that she could be doing better?

Even "no deal" means a lot of deals need to be made for the country to function with other countries.

I find it fascinating, but don't really understand the details. Someone please explain it to me as if I'm a dumb idiot who's country elected a game show host as president.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

1glitch0 posted:

What the hell do they (anyone) want May to do? I'm not well educated on her politics, but Brexit just seems like a disaster. What is or isn't she doing that she could be doing better?

Even "no deal" means a lot of deals need to be made for the country to function with other countries.

I find it fascinating, but don't really understand the details. Someone please explain it to me as if I'm a dumb idiot who's country elected a game show host as president.

every possible outcome of brexit is unpopular, so nobody is willing to do anything. but theresa may is also unpopular and so voting her out makes people look good so theyre gonna do that

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

corn in the bible posted:

every possible outcome of brexit is unpopular, so nobody is willing to do anything. but theresa may is also unpopular and so voting her out makes people look good so theyre gonna do that

Except they probably won't. Because it took a couple months to even muster the support for a leadership challenge. Although it is a secret ballot which is always fertile ground for the knives to come out

:getin:

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

1glitch0 posted:

Brexit is a disaster and was, for decades as well as during the referendum, sold as a sort of weird panacea to all of the UK's structural problems, most of which were caused by the Tories in the first place.

Now that the rubber has hit the road and it turns out that Brexit will actually make most things worse, there's no more answers to be had; May's still desperately trying to pretend that her poo poo Brexit deal is the unicorn panacea, even though anyone who can read can see that it isn't the case.

Never pity her though; she volunteered for the job and was already scheming to take over from Cameron even before the referendum - plus she was an invisible Remainer during the campaign. gently caress her.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

It also doesn't help that may is like those grey goo nanobots in sci fi stories - her original programming got stuck and now her two priorities are self preservation at any cost and delivering a brexit deal that everyone hates in the face of all and any decency and sanity.

She is a deeply weird person.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1021770692386271233
https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1072327331329515520
https://twitter.com/VicBergerIV/status/1072516846040072193

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Junior G-man posted:

Brexit is a disaster and was, for decades as well as during the referendum, sold as a sort of weird panacea to all of the UK's structural problems, most of which were caused by the Tories in the first place.

Now that the rubber has hit the road and it turns out that Brexit will actually make most things worse, there's no more answers to be had; May's still desperately trying to pretend that her poo poo Brexit deal is the unicorn panacea, even though anyone who can read can see that it isn't the case.

Never pity her though; she volunteered for the job and was already scheming to take over from Cameron even before the referendum - plus she was an invisible Remainer during the campaign. gently caress her.

So why is May lovely?

And also, is there anything she could be doing better about Brexit? It seems to me since it was a non-binding vote in the first place everyone should just bite the bullet and say no we're not going to do that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

So why is May lovely?

And also, is there anything she could be doing better about Brexit? It seems to me since it was a non-binding vote in the first place everyone should just bite the bullet and say no we're not going to do that.

She has some of the worst political instincts of the modern era. She is a massive loving racist, as evidenced by her time as Home Secretary. She is incapable of creative political thought, or making spontaneous remarks or genuinely responding to a question without getting choked up and being on the edge of tears. Her only supposed plus is that she is determined, which just means she ignores any evidence or harm and continues on a single course of action without any self reflection. Theresa May is a racism golem just like Trump, just able to read prepared remarks without her brain overheating.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

1glitch0 posted:

So why is May lovely?

Imagine you're disabled and on benefits and you get called in for an evaluation. You can't go because you're sick, bedridden or wheelchair bound, you get sanctioned and lose your benefits, you are now homeless and will die on the street.

You show up for your evaluation so now you're obviously mobile and well enough to work. You lose your benefits and are now homeless and will die on the street.

This is policy May pushed.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

So why is May lovely?

That would be permanent electoral suicide, it would piss off a huge percentage of their base. It'd be like the republicans telling evangelicals to gently caress off or something. Although so will no deal brexit, lol

And May is a useless weirdo who is incapable of interacting with other human beings, is a weak leader who can only spout meaningless sound bites, can't control her own party, and steps on every possible rake (usually her own rakes).

This is not to say that anyone else could do better, because brexit is inherently insane and unworkable.

She makes the tories look really bad and is personally hated by most of them, and they're sick of it.

This is not to say that any of the other shower of useless six toed bastards would be better, since they all are also hated by the public and their fellow MPs.

Edit - I write from the perspective of the tories, btw. What's said above is spot on. She's a loving nightmare sociopath

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

1glitch0 posted:

So why is May lovely?

I'm pretty sure she was spawned from the earth a full-grown ancient crone with a heart full of lovely.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Barry Foster posted:

That would be permanent electoral suicide, it would piss off a huge percentage of their base. It'd be like the republicans telling evangelicals to gently caress off or something. Although so will no deal brexit, lol

And May is a useless weirdo who is incapable of interacting with other human beings, is a weak leader who can only spout meaningless sound bites, can't control her own party, and steps on every possible rake (usually her own rakes).

This is not to say that anyone else could do better, because brexit is inherently insane and unworkable.

She makes the tories look really bad and is personally hated by most of them, and they're sick of it.

This is not to say that any of the other shower of useless six toed bastards would be better, since they all are also hated by the public and their fellow MPs.

Edit - I write from the perspective of the tories, btw. What's said above is spot on. She's a loving nightmare sociopath

So if she gets ousted another person from the conservative party gets elected PM? And they'd be more for just saying "no deal"?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

So if she gets ousted another person from the conservative party gets elected PM? And they'd be more for just saying "no deal"?

Yes, but the odds of a General Election being called go up significantly
E: actually more fair to say the odds went up the second a leadership contest was called, regardless of outcome

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

Yes to the first question, who the gently caress knows to the second.

I can't stress enough how deep into uncharted waters we are here. The situation changes daily.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

1glitch0 posted:

So why is May lovely?

She is essentially leading the UK's economy into suicide because she (and her party) can't bear to be seen to be wrong or lose.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Liquid Communism posted:

She is essentially leading the UK's economy into suicide because she (and her party) can't bear to be seen to be wrong or lose.

the tories will be unaffected by it on a personal level since most are already wealthy and they don't care about anything else because they are sociopaths

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Ratoslov posted:

I'm pretty sure she was spawned from the earth a full-grown ancient crone with a heart full of lovely.

Quoting so I can find this later. That's a great line.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

the tories will be unaffected by it on a personal level since most are already wealthy and they don't care about anything else because they are sociopaths

A universal constant older than the very laws of physics

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

They won't be unaffected by it - hedgefund Tories like JRM will make a lot of money. Bro do u even disaster capitalism

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sure, some will make a fortune out if it instead. Brexit can be the ultimate short if you've got the money to play stocks.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Thanks for all the answers, y'all.

Assuming the best answer is "No brexit", what has to happen to get there?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

1glitch0 posted:

Thanks for all the answers, y'all.

Assuming the best answer is "No brexit", what has to happen to get there?

A general election, Labour taking over, and them then abandoning their heretofore "strategic ambiguity" and saying "she hosed it lads, we have to stay for now".

It's a tough row to furrow for Labour though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Officially, Britain has to go to the EU and ask if they can stop the process. But that would definitely be approved, so in reality all that Parliament has to do is decide they don't want to do Brexit