Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

so much more fun than the Justice League movie omg

Opening up Superman just makes it all feel right. Sure, the Flash/Arrow buddy-cop with Kara took center stage, but Flash/Supergirl/Green Arrow feels like a makeshift group forced by studio meddling. Throw in the Atom or Plastic Man or whoever, it's still not the Justice League. Just being allowed to use one of the core three made it feel so much more like a real DC crossover. And they not only said the B-word, they made him out to be a mysterious badass who Barry geeked out over and Oliver assumed had to be a myth.

I cannot wait for Crisis on Infinite Earths. I didn't even realize what they were doing with Teegan until I googled who he was. And who that guy in the golden mask was, too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Is it weird that ALL of the side characters from the shows play some kind of role in the new reality, or is it just me?

Also, why does that sonic emitter hurt Supergirl? Is it made with kryptonite?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

Is it weird that ALL of the side characters from the shows play some kind of role in the new reality, or is it just me?

It's just really loud and she has super hearing. You do the math.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Oliver offered Diaz to the Monitor.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
who is the guy in the golden mask?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The Psycho Pirate!

It's not much of a spoiler since it's a meaningless name, and virtually meaningless to me, too. I just know him for the role he plays in the Crisis on Infinite Earths comic book.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

He's mentioned in the 2049 newspaper Nora showed the team:

quote:

Research has focused on Roger Hayden, a.k.a. Psycho Pirate, who claims to remember the night’s events.

He said upon his arrest, “Worlds lived, worlds died. Nothing will ever be the same.”

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

He's mentioned in the 2049 newspaper Nora showed the team:

So basically Barry, Thawne, and Nora loving with the timeline accelerated the Crisis further. Got it.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vietnamwees posted:

Deegan explicitly said he was gonna gently caress with Barry and Oliver's supporting casts just to gently caress with Barry and Oliver, so that explains basically all of them. Alex and Jimmy just kind of... appear. It's really only weird for Alex and Jimmy, who just kind of appear. Although back in the season 1 crossover, while Barry says he can't find anything about any of his cast when he's searching Earth-38, they never say that the Supergirl supporting cast isn't on Earth-1 somewhere. So it's just a freak coincidence!... that these series regular actors show up when they need to get paid.

The Supergirl show has been using sonic emitters a bunch against Supergirl lately I've noticed. Probably because they need something to weaken her and they explicitly got rid of all the kryptonite on Earth, except for when it's convenient for someone to have it.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Oliver offered Diaz to the Monitor.

Monitor: "This man is no use in a battle, he's already won"

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Dec 12, 2018

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If they're gonna have this much prep time for CoIE then I will accept nothing less than a true unified event like Earth-X (as opposed to this one, where each ep still felt tonally individualized for each show), and across all the shows, this time including Batwoman and Black Lightning, and very quick cameos from Gotham, Krypton, Doom Patrol, and gently caress Batman.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Xelkelvos posted:

So basically Barry, Thawne, and Nora loving with the timeline accelerated the Crisis further. Got it.

By about five and a half years, apparently.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

No, you see, Barry and Kara traveled around the world in opposite directions at mach 7, generating enough centrifugal force to slow down time in their universe, but time kept going in the other universes, so 5.5 years passed in the Antimonitor's time while earth was slowed down.

Hire me Guggenheim

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Gary showed up, yay!

Other than that, I feel one problem with this event was Kara didn't get quite as much focus as Barry and Oliver. Hopefully they can fix that next year. Beyond that, I really enjoyed that.

And while the whole "Where's Superman while this is happening" thing has never bugged me, it'll be interesting to have him gone and have Kara be much more THE protector of Earth. (Well, also Brainy and J'onn.) Like her responsibilities have been slowly growing all this time. It's a nice arc.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Maxwell Lord posted:

Gary showed up, yay!

Other than that, I feel one problem with this event was Kara didn't get quite as much focus as Barry and Oliver. Hopefully they can fix that next year. Beyond that, I really enjoyed that.

That's kind of the problem with involving Supergirl in these crossovers. Every other Arrowverse show is on the same earth so when she shows up she's always the outsider. She just kind of shows up because she's also a superhero that's executive produced by Berlanti and it's fun to have a super-person interact with all the other heroes.

I'd say they should drag some of the Earth-1 crew to Earth-38 for a crossover but I'm having a hard time thinking of why. I mean two white guys aren't gonna help much on this season's Supergirl vs. Racism plot and the various science back-up squads are redundant with Lena and Brainy around.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I was thinking, did they use actual batman props for Batwoman? Like that looked like Tom Hardy's Bane mask from DKR, and when she used the grapple gun it looked a hell of a lot like the one from Batman Begins.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

TwoPair posted:

I'd say they should drag some of the Earth-1 crew to Earth-38 for a crossover but I'm having a hard time thinking of why. I mean two white guys aren't gonna help much on this season's Supergirl vs. Racism plot and the various science back-up squads are redundant with Lena and Brainy around.

Don't worry, when CoIE merges the earths in 2019 then they can all team up against Darkseid for Final Crisis 2020.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TwoPair posted:

The many speedsters could always be useful. Especially if the bad guys somehow recruited the evil ones.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Alex with the bad wig.

It's going to be joining Arrow as a permanent cast member.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

So is no one gonna question that Lois Lane and Clark Kent are going to go missing for more than nine months? Also Superman not being in Metropolis?

J'onn could just turn into Clark occasionally. Or Superman robots maybe?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Argue posted:

Don't worry, when CoIE merges the earths in 2019 then they can all team up against Darkseid for Final Crisis 2020.

5 years ago I'd call this completely crazy. Now? I'm hoping they'll call Michael Ironside to voice a CGI Darkseid that Superman beats by whistling.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

What was the point of slowing down the universe, think I missed that bit.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Avalerion posted:

Slowed down Deegan's reality rewriting to the point that Superman could catch up to him before presumably being erased or rewritten himself.

Also a very good Superman: The Movie reference.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Wouldn’t Superman also be equally slowed down then... this a speed force.gif thing, isn’t it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I don't know what kind of hippie nonsense you guys are talking about. It doesn't matter who she feels like she is, we're not all sitting in the therapy circle here. She's Kara Zor-El, who was born on Krypton. She illegally immigrated to the United States and had forged documents created, and has been living under the assumed name Kara Danvers since she was 12 or so. If you illegally immigrate from Russia or Mexico or where ever, you don't get to tell them "No, I'm really Joe Smith deep down" when the feds ask you who you are.

I'm being intentionally obtuse, of course, but it's because I really hate these storylines in comic books. There's just no way to be realistic about it. No, Supergirl has to protect her assumed identity because the people close to her will be targeted! Except in real life, no, you can't have people running around shooting lasers and smashing pavement and not even take down their name and address. You have to register to buy a gun! I'm sure there's some moral gray area about people who didn't want their powers or whatever, but if you want to be on TV and have everyone in the city hear about all the cool stuff you do, then yes the loving police department needs to know which door to knock on in case you get drunk and blow up the bowling alley.

I agree. I wish they didn't have Tony Stark go all Space Gitmo because other than that he was right in Civil War.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Avalerion posted:

I think it was to buy time for Oliver to bargain with Dormammu talk to the Monitor

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Phenotype posted:

so much more fun than the Justice League movie omg

Opening up Superman just makes it all feel right. Sure, the Flash/Arrow buddy-cop with Kara took center stage, but Flash/Supergirl/Green Arrow feels like a makeshift group forced by studio meddling. Throw in the Atom or Plastic Man or whoever, it's still not the Justice League. Just being allowed to use one of the core three made it feel so much more like a real DC crossover. And they not only said the B-word, they made him out to be a mysterious badass who Barry geeked out over and Oliver assumed had to be a myth.

I cannot wait for Crisis on Infinite Earths. I didn't even realize what they were doing with Teegan until I googled who he was. And who that guy in the golden mask was, too!

Agree with all this.
Bitsy Tulloch needs to be on more, every look and line she delivered was great. BTW what was the hammer that Lois used?

Getting a stunt like this on a tv series budget is amazing. And it was just one out of so many.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 12, 2018

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
And it's barely a stunt! The VFX people of the Arrowverse have gotten very good at building upon their city/vehicle models and digital doubles
to pull stuff like this!

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Wouldn’t Superman also be equally slowed down then... this a speed force.gif thing, isn’t it.

Basically. It's more a covert Superman: the Movie reference than anything with physics that are marginally more correct but still bonkers.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Binary Logic posted:

Agree with all this.
Bitsy Tulloch needs to be on more, every look and line she delivered was great. BTW what was the hammer that Lois used?

https://twitter.com/BitsieTulloch/status/1072697733595639809

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Oh! That makes sense. I was thinking why does Superman have the Universal Weapon that Ronan carries.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I wonder how far they have the Crisis on Infinite Earths planned out. I hope they have contingencies if Superman and Batwoman don't get their own shows.

Also, CW, give that man a leading show as Superman. If you have to cancel Arrow and The Flash for it, I'd understand.

Batwoman I only want them to pick up if the stupid Bat-Embargo is more or less lifted. Spinning it up into a show only to tie its hands would be such a waste of effort.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
For CoIE can we have 1 unified thread, I'm getting dizzy trying to keep track of all the posts LOL

Thanks. Also from her Twitter, Lois' dress looked familiar but I didn't realize where it was from.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Binary Logic posted:

For CoIE can we have 1 unified thread, I'm getting dizzy trying to keep track of all the posts LOL

crisis on infinite posts

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I can’t believe they’re actually doing Crisis and even calling their shot ahead of time. If we’re going full ham then let’s get Darkseid up in this piece.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I can’t believe they’re actually doing Crisis and even calling their shot ahead of time. If we’re going full ham then let’s get Darkseid up in this piece.

Darkseid in 2020 maybe.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean Ava Duvernay is doing a New Gods movie so Darkseid may be tied up at least until it comes out.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
That was a lot of fun! Happy Oliver is so great!

"You have made me hug you twice."

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

Slowed down Deegan's reality rewriting to the point that Superman could catch up to him before presumably being erased or rewritten himself.

Also a very good Superman: The Movie reference.

Sure there's the part of my head going "Mach 7 isn't even that fast and I'm fairly sure Barry runs faster than that weekly..." but there's also the part where yo they did the Superman Movie thing and it was cooooool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Maybe making the Earth spin the opposite direction takes a different tactic and uses up more energy than just time-traveling a single person and that's why they were burning up?

I dunno, it was still neat to see.

Also, couple things I noticed: two Kryptonians were fighting in a city and the good one actually went out of his way to keep the collateral damage at a low, and Lois actually didn't dispose of a weapon that would be useful against the big bad.

All these latest digs at the movies has been great so far. Even if they are unintentional.