Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boner Wad
Nov 16, 2003

Medullah posted:

Yeah I decided I'm just returning them and looking at wired ones. I don't really have the need for wireless ones. The interface is really nice though. And I dig the IFTTT integrations. But at 4 batteries a pop if I have to replace 3 cameras worth every month or so that gets pricy quick.

Were you watching them constantly? A family member bought them and then sat at work with live view on all day and drained batteries dead quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Boner Wad posted:

Were you watching them constantly? A family member bought them and then sat at work with live view on all day and drained batteries dead quick.

Nope, triggered only, armed when I left the house.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Any cheap cams that also have noise that'll turn them on? I have some passive aggressive neighbors that are likely to escalate things soon.

Been playing around with Wyzecams lately, $20 but they're indoor only and has to be plugged in.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Any advice on what smart plug to get? I’m looking for something that’s both Alexa and HomeKit comparable.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

ManSedan posted:

Any advice on what smart plug to get? I’m looking for something that’s both Alexa and HomeKit comparable.

I'm happy with the Wemo plugs, and they go on sale at Costco pretty often. Picked up 2 for 30 last week. They're wifi and work with Alexa and HomeKit. I have 4 of them total so far, no issues. They upgraded the firmware in the last few months to work with Homekit without the bridge device.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I have an old, but very good for the time digital outlet timer for my Christmas lights, but in an otherwise smart home it's like . . . I can't even turn this off with my phone.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Medullah posted:

Yeah I decided I'm just returning them and looking at wired ones. I don't really have the need for wireless ones. The interface is really nice though. And I dig the IFTTT integrations. But at 4 batteries a pop if I have to replace 3 cameras worth every month or so that gets pricy quick.

Are these coin cell batteries? I've had nothing but problems trying to find decent affordable CR2450 batteries for my smart things devices. The cheap stuff on Amazon are usually just expired batteries repackaged to hide the fact. I love when the batteries say made in Indonesia and the blister package says made in China. What's even better, when you point this out in a review with pictures showing the fraudulent packaging and low voltages on what are supposed to be brand new batteries, amazon deletes your review for using the "fraud" word.

gently caress batteries, I wish I could just POE these drat sensors and ditch wireless connections altogether. It's not like I'm moving my doors and windows anytime soon.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

OSU_Matthew posted:

Are these coin cell batteries? I've had nothing but problems trying to find decent affordable CR2450 batteries for my smart things devices. The cheap stuff on Amazon are usually just expired batteries repackaged to hide the fact. I love when the batteries say made in Indonesia and the blister package says made in China. What's even better, when you point this out in a review with pictures showing the fraudulent packaging and low voltages on what are supposed to be brand new batteries, amazon deletes your review for using the "fraud" word.

gently caress batteries, I wish I could just POE these drat sensors and ditch wireless connections altogether. It's not like I'm moving my doors and windows anytime soon.

It's 4 CR123 batteries per camera. There are cheap rechargeables but the "Arlo recommended" ones are like $50 per set of 4 with charger. I realized as pretty as they are with no cord, I'll just get some powered cameras. I've got a lot of experience with Blue Iris, Arlo was just so nice and simple. :D

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Use ebay, I buy almost all my electronic components on ebay with mostly good outcomes.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

ElCondemn posted:

Use ebay, I buy almost all my electronic components on ebay with mostly good outcomes.

That's exactly what I did last time, and the results appear to be exactly what I paid for. The batteries were in the original packaging with an expiration date of 2026, and measured 3.2 volts. Not great, but not terrible. We'll see how much current they put out, but at any rate they've already beaten the 1-2.5 volt poo poo I bought on Amazon.

Honestly, I just wish the drat things used reachargeable batteries like 18650 cells... Which... Come to think of it, a good project might be to 3d print some battery housing and build my own 18650 to coin cell adapter... I could just use a generic battery holder and solder some stuff together... Hmm...

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Acer Pilot posted:

Been playing around with Wyzecams lately, $20 but they're indoor only and has to be plugged in.

Are they still limited to like 12 seconds every 3 mins?

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I think it might be every 5. If you have an SD card connected you can just watch that footage though.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I finally got off my rear end and installed my smart home set up. Really happy with the end product. I have a smart things hub & phillips hue hub with lights and a few echo products.

Next step is I want some motion sensors for the lights. I figure I should probably get more general purpose motion sensors than the Phillips Hue ones that only worth with their lightbulbs only.

I see Smarthings makes a motion sensor. The Amazon reviews are interesting. Lots of negative reviews claiming the 2015 sensor was amazing, but the new 2016 version is horrible. It's been a few years since then. Is the version they are selling on Amazon still the crappy 2016 version or are they back to being decent?

IS there a most recommended motion sensor that works with Smartthings hub & phillips hue lights in general?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My mom has limited mobility, and I need to find a "dumb" solution to handle the some of lights in her house. Ideally, I'd like something that lets her control a lamp with just her voice or a noise, and it looks like The Clapper might actually be the best solution. An Echo + smartplug or bulb would work, but that's a little too complicated for her. There are a lot of remote-controlled lights on the market, but I don't want her to have to keep track of one of those little remotes all the time.

The Clapper is notoriously unreliable, and I doubt the design has been updated in the past 30 years. Is there anything else I should check out?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Megasabin posted:

I finally got off my rear end and installed my smart home set up. Really happy with the end product. I have a smart things hub & phillips hue hub with lights and a few echo products.

Next step is I want some motion sensors for the lights. I figure I should probably get more general purpose motion sensors than the Phillips Hue ones that only worth with their lightbulbs only.

I see Smarthings makes a motion sensor. The Amazon reviews are interesting. Lots of negative reviews claiming the 2015 sensor was amazing, but the new 2016 version is horrible. It's been a few years since then. Is the version they are selling on Amazon still the crappy 2016 version or are they back to being decent?

IS there a most recommended motion sensor that works with Smartthings hub & phillips hue lights in general?

Get the Aeon multisensors instead of the SmartThings stuff

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lester Shy posted:

My mom has limited mobility, and I need to find a "dumb" solution to handle the some of lights in her house. Ideally, I'd like something that lets her control a lamp with just her voice or a noise, and it looks like The Clapper might actually be the best solution. An Echo + smartplug or bulb would work, but that's a little too complicated for her. There are a lot of remote-controlled lights on the market, but I don't want her to have to keep track of one of those little remotes all the time.

The Clapper is notoriously unreliable, and I doubt the design has been updated in the past 30 years. Is there anything else I should check out?

All of the lights in my house are Hues which I control with Google Homes. Honestly it's reliable enough that I think my mom (who is not a technophile by any means) could live with if she had to. I find the Homes are a bit better at voice recognition than the Amazon offerings but I'll admit I have a very flat accent which might not be representative of a difficult to understand one.

If there's a problem I have it's that I have a small house and it's not exactly unusual for a Home in a different room than the intended one to pick up my command but maybe don't buy six like I did. Another area that I could see being a problem for someone older is memorizing the "names" of lights. I have a lot of lights named stuff like Table Lamp, Floor Lamp, etc that might be inconvenient for your mom to memorize but if you're dealing with just a few lights it shouldn't be an issue. Also you can just say "Turn on the Living Room/Kitchen/whatever" and get all the lights in the room to come on, or if you just say "Turn on the lights" it will just turn on the lights in the room the Home is located.

If it's just one Home and one light though, I feel like Hue and a Home mini is hard to beat for Just Working, even if the cost of the Hue hub is a bit high.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
A potentially cheaper alternative to Hue is the Ikea Tradfri series, which I have a few of. Avoid the dimmer knobs though, they are poo poo.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

priznat posted:

A potentially cheaper alternative to Hue is the Ikea Tradfri series, which I have a few of. Avoid the dimmer knobs though, they are poo poo.

Does your cover come off when you try to dim the lights too?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

IUG posted:

Does your cover come off when you try to dim the lights too?

Yep, the dial also will fall off the bade the magnets hold it on, and one of them then cracked the cover when it hit the floor. Especially bad with kids in the house.

The remote works great though, and the hub has been solid. Overall no problem with adding more bulbs when I feel like it. I hear you can get Hue and tradfri bulbs to coexist on a hub too but haven’t really looked into it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ElCondemn posted:

Get the Aeon multisensors instead of the SmartThings stuff

The Aeon Multisensor is the 6-1 one right. That seems like a pretty good one to have 1 of, but at 60 bucks it’s pretty pricey when I wanted 3-4.

Any opinions on their 3-1 cheaper model: https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-TriSe...DFKEBQF4DBDHRB9

Or just a device that works as a good motion sensor and that’s it? For rooms where I don’t need light or temperature.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Check out Monoprice for sales on their no logo sensors. They have worked flawless for me and another friend with a large setup like mine. They have a sale going on now on a bunch of stuff.

These are the PIR sensors in particular that work great:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15902
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15271

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

priznat posted:

Yep, the dial also will fall off the bade the magnets hold it on, and one of them then cracked the cover when it hit the floor. Especially bad with kids in the house.

The remote works great though, and the hub has been solid. Overall no problem with adding more bulbs when I feel like it. I hear you can get Hue and tradfri bulbs to coexist on a hub too but haven’t really looked into it.

It's a loving song and dance, but yeah. Right now I have two rooms running from a Hue that have Ikea lights. However, I have two other rooms with Ikea lights that I haven't integrated because it's a pain in the rear end. You have to basically return them to stock settings by turning the lights off and on 4 times rapidly, then hope that they show up in Hue. And if they're too far, then good luck. Also, the built in Homekit export from Hue does not include the non-Hue bulbs. So if you want Siri to work, you need something third party. I've been running OpenHAB on my Synology, and let me tell you about the pain in the rear end that is... in another post if you're actually interested.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Megasabin posted:

The Aeon Multisensor is the 6-1 one right. That seems like a pretty good one to have 1 of, but at 60 bucks it’s pretty pricey when I wanted 3-4.

Any opinions on their 3-1 cheaper model: https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-TriSe...DFKEBQF4DBDHRB9

Or just a device that works as a good motion sensor and that’s it? For rooms where I don’t need light or temperature.

It sounds pricey but when you have all the sensors available it really unlocks stuff you didn’t even consider. Like keeping your temp and humidity stable for a baby or your plants, having lights follow you through your home, I’ve even seen people have music follow you.

Though the suggestion is mainly to avoid the SmartThings stuff since it’s all zigbee based and isn’t compatible with other hubs or software. If the 3 in 1 works for you go for it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but my Z-Wave devices have always been way more reliable than Zigbee. I currently use a SmartThings hub to control it all, so you'd think SmartThings-branded stuff would work better, but nope.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Pitre posted:

Check out Monoprice for sales on their no logo sensors. They have worked flawless for me and another friend with a large setup like mine. They have a sale going on now on a bunch of stuff.

These are the PIR sensors in particular that work great:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15902
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15271

Are non-thermostat temperature sensors at the point now where you can do more than just send reports based on temperature and actually trigger stuff? When I looked a few years ago I could never find any that did more than this, but things may have changed.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

They're just sensors spewing out data. What you do with them is up to you on the hub side of things for automations.

I have that Monoprice 15271 sensor - it's a bit spotty with noticing movement in my garage and I have tried it on a range of sensitivity settings.

Also, with latest HA .84.1 all my ZWave battery-based sensors went offline and won't come back. Everything powered is absolutely fine. Roll-back didn't fix anything, probably because it modifies the ZWave stick idea of what is on the network. :(

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh

Decairn posted:

Also, with latest HA .84.1 all my ZWave battery-based sensors went offline and won't come back. Everything powered is absolutely fine. Roll-back didn't fix anything, probably because it modifies the ZWave stick idea of what is on the network. :(

How long have you waited since updating? Battery z-wave devices need to 'wake up' for home assistant to see them properly and on a lot of devices that's 24 hours or more by default. If it's still not working just remove and re-add them, i've had to do that once or twice.

Pitre
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

Are non-thermostat temperature sensors at the point now where you can do more than just send reports based on temperature and actually trigger stuff? When I looked a few years ago I could never find any that did more than this, but things may have changed.

Like Decairn said, it's all up to you and what you want to script. I have Smartthings and still use Rule Machine from way back to do a bunch of things based on conditions. I don't know what the latest way to do that is since RM was pulled from GitHub years ago and I haven't bothered to rewrite all my scripts.

I have a long ranch style house that's block and not fantastically insulated and there is a front reading room in the opposite corner of the house from the bedroom. When the condition of (If time is > 4am and temperature of kitchen motion is < 65F and motion in hallway is detected then turn on radiator heater in reading room). That type of condition means my wife or I is up and headed in there to read a bit or surf the web on the tablet that is in there. The radiator heater helps keep the area warmer without running the whole house heat as much.

I also have a radiator heater in the bedroom and a rule watches the bedroom motion's temperature all night when in stay mode and if it gets too hot in the middle of the night it automatically turns the heater off so we don't wake up in a sweat and have have to turn it off manually. In the summer, the same bedroom motion temp sensor watches for it to get too chilly at night and will turn the ceiling fan off for us.

Obviously these are examples of creating automation just for the hell of it but they actually work well and now we don't even think about messing with the heaters or fan. Smartthings handles them for us.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

CheddarGoblin posted:

How long have you waited since updating? Battery z-wave devices need to 'wake up' for home assistant to see them properly and on a lot of devices that's 24 hours or more by default. If it's still not working just remove and re-add them, i've had to do that once or twice.

Over 24 hours and only the motion sensor came online, the door sensors are not connecting. The motion sensor has the sensor values reporting, but not the zwave device that those sensors derive from. So it's a bit messed up still. Waiting for a patch, then I'll try re-adding a sensor.

Piggy Smalls
Jun 21, 2015

BOSS MAKES A DOLLAR,
YOU MAKE A DIME,
I'LL LICK HIS BOOT TILL THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS SHINE.

Nest is having a special 100 off a camera (indoor or outdoor) or thermostat with a google home hub.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

For anyone buying a Nest thermostat, make sure to check your electric and gas companies for rebates. I got a Nest 3 for $160 and got $100 in rebates.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Is something like this fine for a basic home camera system? Just want to put 1 or 2 on the front yard and maybe 1 by the back gate and hopefully the rear end in a top hat teenagers will skip my house next time they are vandalizing christmas decorations or breaking into cars

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blink-...p?skuId=6228323

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

incels interlinked posted:

Is something like this fine for a basic home camera system? Just want to put 1 or 2 on the front yard and maybe 1 by the back gate and hopefully the rear end in a top hat teenagers will skip my house next time they are vandalizing christmas decorations or breaking into cars

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/blink-...p?skuId=6228323
The reviews on bestbuy seem to call out exactly what I expected as an issue: Battery life. They claim "2 year", but that seems to be "with certain batteries, in low traffic areas, under perfect conditions".

Just as a point of reference - my hardwired Nest camera with a front yard view detects between 750 - 1100 events every day. It's certainly possible you won't get hit by as many, but I'd bet battery life will regardless be considerably shorter than 2 years. All that said - if you're ok with it, the basic specs and feature set look fine, I'd just really consider whether you want to be changing batteries all the time as well as (probably) having them die right when you needed them not to.

Hardwiring, if at all possible, is almost definitely the right way to go.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Pitre posted:

Like Decairn said, it's all up to you and what you want to script. I have Smartthings and still use Rule Machine from way back to do a bunch of things based on conditions. I don't know what the latest way to do that is since RM was pulled from GitHub years ago and I haven't bothered to rewrite all my scripts.

I have a long ranch style house that's block and not fantastically insulated and there is a front reading room in the opposite corner of the house from the bedroom. When the condition of (If time is > 4am and temperature of kitchen motion is < 65F and motion in hallway is detected then turn on radiator heater in reading room). That type of condition means my wife or I is up and headed in there to read a bit or surf the web on the tablet that is in there. The radiator heater helps keep the area warmer without running the whole house heat as much.

I also have a radiator heater in the bedroom and a rule watches the bedroom motion's temperature all night when in stay mode and if it gets too hot in the middle of the night it automatically turns the heater off so we don't wake up in a sweat and have have to turn it off manually. In the summer, the same bedroom motion temp sensor watches for it to get too chilly at night and will turn the ceiling fan off for us.

Obviously these are examples of creating automation just for the hell of it but they actually work well and now we don't even think about messing with the heaters or fan. Smartthings handles them for us.

Cool, this is what I was actually looking to know, and is a similar use scenario. I still like to use my fan even in the winter but I don't want it whipping around cold air on the rare cold days we have.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Any cheap cams that also have noise that'll turn them on? I have some passive aggressive neighbors that are likely to escalate things soon.

The Panasonic Homehawk that Costco sells actually has sound triggered recording. I haven't tried that but I have one in my garage and the video quality is okay, but the app can be a real pest to deal with.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Has anyone had issues with Nest not saving clips it should have?

A guy backed into my car last Thursday, and I saved the clip almost immediately after from my phone. I went back and checked later to make sure, and the clip wasn't there, so I did it again from my desktop - and made sure I got to the "Your clip is being processed in the background [Done]" message.

Went back today, ... it's not there. gently caress.

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
How's Simplisafe? They've got a deal on their "Oakhaven" system which is a whole bunch of equipment that basically suits anything I would need for my new home. We've got 4 entryways and a couple floor-to-ceiling windows so having a good amount of sensors is ideal.I was more focused on the security/alarm system first and then was going to look into a camera or two later but the deal comes with a camera which is convenient. The monthly monitoring is a bit more expensive than some other ones ($14.99) but it seems overall pretty comprehensive.

hmmxkrazee fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Dec 25, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

They’re run by Nazis.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Endless Mike posted:

They’re run by Nazis.

Wha-

quote:

https://digboston.com/macro-aggressions-trump-flags-right-wing-memes-line-walls-at-boston-company-workers-be-damned/

“He just wanted to make people very angry,” Jeromski said.

It worked. And for June Politano, the harassment reached extreme levels—to the point that she says she felt unsafe. Politano, who worked at the Charlestown facility from January 2015 to March of last year, told BINJ that the constant use of white nationalist memes around the office disturbed her and made her feel unsafe in the office—so much so that she went to management to complain.

“I arrived to work early one day and saw that on my supervisor’s desk was a printout with 50-plus copies of the Pepe the frog meme holding a smoking gun that read ‘Goodnight Left Side,’” Politano said.

The next day, one of the printouts was taped outside of her supervisor’s work area. When Politano brought the racist iconography to the head manager’s attention, she said, he played dumb.

:staredog:

E:

quote:

According to a United SimpliSafe spokesperson, supervisors at the call center are majority white and treat their subordinates of color with dismissive and abusive language. In one instance, a white supervisor allegedly said to a majority black and Latin team, “I’m like a slavemaster and you’re my slaves.” When this incident was related to the company’s human resources department, United SimpliSafe said, it was chalked up to a misunderstanding and no discipline was administered to the offending party.

:stonklol:

Hubis fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hmmxkrazee
Sep 9, 2006
why
Welp I guess I'll use it for the trial 2-month period and then return it.