Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm kind of surprised that tusk ended well for him, but I guess Tressa is a pretty potent force for good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?

Glazius posted:

I'm kind of surprised that tusk ended well for him, but I guess Tressa is a pretty potent force for good.

Consider that many people might not realize there’s another option, and it would suck if the “obvious” answer gave a bad ending.

I don’t think any quests actually have bad endings, just different flavors of good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Cheaters never win. Except when they do.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Music: My Quiet Forest Home

There's another short, simple, and easy Side Story to do in this town, and it involves talking to this guy.

Pray tell--have you heard such a tale?

It doesn't pop up the quest title because I already have the information he needs.

...because I already chatted up the man at the bar while doing the town rounds. I didn't bother showing it off then because, well, I'm showing it off now.

Folk these days forget the old tales. So I've taken it upon m'self to remember them on their behalf. There'll come a day, I say, when we'll be needin' them again.

Since I already got that information off-screen, it's grayed out here.

At any rate, this is all we need to finish this quest.

SILENCE

"These monster tamers learn from older masters how to bend beasts to their will."
Yes, that is what I just said.

"The neighboring tribe, the people of the Greenwood, also had monster tamers in their midst."

Yes, the people of the Greenwood.

...Beg your pardon for the outburst. Truth be told, I am searching for my long-lost father.

Music: An Ill Omen

I saw it myself, even as it happened. A giant serpent coiled around his shadow. In the next instant, my father was gone.

I believe now that he resurrected their forbidden magic. According to legend, the Greenwood tribe was defeated and driven away by the people of Darkwood. So dangerous was the magic that they dared to dabble in...

Gods a'mercy to you. I am one step closer to finding my father. If my father is indeed under the thrall of some beast, then I have no choice but to slay his captor.

But for now--fare thee well.

We'll continue this quest line in the future. But for now, it's time to head to Clearbrook and recruit our next character.

...If I can stop playing Smash long enough to do so, of course.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

We'll explore the Riverlands a little later. For now, let's jump right to our next character.

Music: Clearbrook, by the Pristine Waters

Clearbrook is another small town, though a peaceful one.

And over here is our next companion.

There ain't no way I'm letting that venom beat you! You hear me, viper? I'm coming for you!

Alfyn's an apothecary, meaning he's a sort of doctor who specializes in medicinal herbs and concoctions.

He also was the character I mained in my first playthrough and ended up my favorite of the bunch.

I'm rolling with Ophilia and H'aanit for now. I'll soon enough be swapping all over the place. But for now, story.

-----

Video: Keep Your Coin

SILENCE

Grandpa, be strong!

You betcha! Just sit tight!

This'll stop the coughing for now, but your lungs've seen better days. Try to give the pipe a rest, sir, hear?

How blessed we are to have an apothecary like you in our little village.

I'll be back to check in on him, okay?

So far, we've established Alfyn being pretty darn good at his job, and also how charitable he is.

-----

Music: Enveloped in Kindness

Did you see me, Ma? I whipped up an antitussive elixir like you wouldn't believe!

Am I any closer to being the man I want to be? The man he was...

Heya, Zeph. Done for the day?
Yes, only two patients today. Having you around sure eases the burden.

The poor gal has enough trouble looking after old Alek. I can't very well take what little she has.

You know that's what I like about you. If the villagers are healthy and happy, that's more than good enough for me.
Haha, couldn'ta said it better myself.
We may be new to this, but between the two of us, this village is in good hands.
Sure is. Plagues? Epidemics? Bring your worst!

Who'd have thought that little troublemaker would turn out to be a top-notch apothecary, eh?
We can't all be born with a silver pestle in hand, Master Zeph.

Maybe...
Anyway... I should be getting back to Nina.
Yeah, beat it. Head on home, big brother.

We've been friends ever since we were small, right? I know you better than anyone. So be honest...

-----

Video: A Grave Wound

SILENCE

These look like bite marks... Alfyn, could you take a look as well?
Hm? You got it, buddy.

She's fallen into a deep trance. This is worse than we thought.
Indeed...

Wish she could tell us what happened...
It's safe to assume she was bitten by something poisonous--but what? Without knowing the nature of the poison...
Yeah, the wrong medicine could make things worse, and quick.

And so we get control of Alfyn.

Inquire is the Noble version of Cyrus's Scrutinize, and like the other Noble abilities, it's a flat level check as to whether it'll work or not.

It's a nice contrast between the two. Cyrus is great at deductions but can sometimes rub people the wrong way, while Alfyn's so friendly that people will just flat-out tell him their life stories.

Anyway, this little girl looks like she has some information.

Anyway, Inquire and Scrutinize net the same results either way. I like not failing and having to pay fines though...

-----

SILENCE

The bite marks on Nina's leg--you sure you don't know where they came from?

I wanna help your friend, but I'm an apothecary, not a miracle worker. If I don't know what bit her, there ain't nothing I can do.

You wanna help her too, right? So just tell me...please?

I wasn't so sure about it, but I went with her to that cave...

Music: An Ill Omen

What kind of snake? Was it black?
N-no...
Don't tell me... Was it amber with blotches on its back?
Yes... H-how did you know?

I-I'm sorry... I know we're not supposed to go there. B-but Nina wanted it to be a surprise, so...so she told me to keep it secret, and...
...Thanks, Lily. You've told me all I needed.

-----

Music: Discord

A nasty critter if there ever was one. This ain't good...
Time is of the essence. The poison is spreading through her veins as we speak. I must prepare an antidote with all haste.
But I need to get my hands on the original venom.

Yeah, along with plenty of other nasties. ...Reckless ain't the half of it.
I know. But what choice do I have?

SILENCE

...Hm?

Alfyn, are you mad!?

Don't worry about me. Now go back to your sister's side.

Nina...!

Will you...hold my hand?

-----

May we help? We can't let an innocent child suffer like this!
Yes, letten us helpen you with this beast.

Absolutely! Now that I think about it, I have been throwing myself into others' affairs an awful lot lately... But a person in need and all!

They're good folks in this village, down to the last. And Zeph's always stuck by my side...so damned if I won't stick by his! So, let's go! We're heading for the Cave of Rhiyo, just east of the village! We'd better hurry, for Nina's sake.

First off, time to gear up. Alfyn only gets one weapon to work with, but his axes are pretty solid and he gets actual skills to work with them.

Onward!

Music: The Riverlands

Just a nice relaxing jaunt to the east.

With some ugly baddies, of course.

Alfyn has job skills like the rest. His inital ones are an ice attack and a single-target heal.

His Talent is Concoct, and it's arguably one of the more powerful abilities in the game. If you're familiar with Chemists from other Square Enix games, you probably already have an idea how nice it is.

The first component is either a Seed (Single Target) or Dust (Target All), with two power tiers affecting either allies (Soothing/Purifying) or enemies (Injurious/Ruinous). Then there's the second ingredient, which affects what the component will actually do. For beneficial effects, Noxroot/Sleepweed/Addlewort will heal HP and Poison/Sleep/Confusion respectively, while Grape/Plum/Pomegranate/Olive restores HP/SP/BP/KO like the regular items do.

Purifying simply restores more HP/whatever than Soothing, and Seeds will restore more than Dusts. The exception is Curious Bloom, which will have completely different effects between Soothing/Purifying Seeds/Dusts.

One nice part is once you perform a Concoction between two ingredients, the game will reveal the effect and tell you what that combination does, so no need to memorize Mix Charts or anything here!

I forgot to stock up on components, so let's do so here. These are the only ones we can buy in Chapter 1. While eventually we'll be able to buy all of the Seeds and Dusts, the only secondary ingredients we'll be able to directly purchase are the Noxroots and Essences of Grape. Everything else is either dropped/stolen from enemies or bought/stolen from town NPCs.

A Frogkin and a Salamander.

The Salamander hits hard.

The enemy-targeting concoctions are also simple.

They hit an enemy with an element with a chance of inflicting a status effect or a debuff, depending on the secondary component. The primary component determines the number of hits (Inj. Seed is 2, Dust is 1, and Ruinous adds a hit to each), with the secondary determining the element and debuff (the exception, again, being Curious Bloom, which has different effects). The damage is always single-digit and thus not useful for actual damage, but it does mean Alfyn has a reliable way to break through all six elemental weaknesses, giving him double duty as both a healer and a shield breaker.

For this case, Sleepweed deals Ice hits and has a chance of inflicting Sleep.

I pick up Leghold Trap and plan to put it to good use.

Finally, the Apothecary skills, which are a bit of a hodgepodge of random things.

-----

First Aid (4SP) - Restore HP to a single ally.

Over double the healing of Heal Wounds, though Alfyn's stats are all average beyond his high HP and low speed, so he doesn't get the ElemDef boost Ophilia does. If you ignore Concoct, it's alright but nothing that a simple grape can't do.

Icicle (7SP) - Deal ice damage to a single foe.

Same as the other single-target spells. Alfyn's ElemAtk is average, but a surprising number of axes boost ElemAtk, so it's not bad. And considering Sleepweed is hard to come by early-game, this does have actual use in breaking ice weaknesses.

Rehabilitate (10SP) - Cure a single ally of all status ailments, and render them immune to further ailments for two turns.

The status-curing is pointless since a herb can do the same thing, but the status immunity buff is really useful for some nasty bosses. And like other buffs, each boost point spent adds two turns. A solid ability for certain foes, though it does not block debuffs.

Amputation (8SP) - Unleash an axe attack on a single foe.

Uses the same damage formula as Olberic's Cross Strike. However, it's a guaranteed crit in exchange for lower accuracy. Still very powerful if you boost up Alfyn's PhysAtk and Acc.

Empoison (6SP) - Poison a single foe for two turns.

Add two more turns per BP spent. Poison deals 1/6 Max HP for non-boss enemies, and 1/100 Max HP for bosses. It's mainly useful for fighting bosses well above your punching weight, as that extra damage does add up a lot, but it's not really that useful for chapter bosses. It's great for side-dungeon "bosses" since those aren't technically bosses despite their high HP, and thus Poison just tears through them quickly. Another situational skill that shines in the right moment.

Vivify (16SP) - Revive a single incapacitated ally.

Heals 2.5*ElemDef*(1+BP spent) HP. It's not really that much better than an Olive of Life, but those can also get expensive. Not really my favorite.

Last Stand (16SP) - Attack all foes with an axe, dealing damage inversely proportional to your current HP.

It's 1.4x the strength of a normal attack at max HP. Once you're at 1/2 Max HP, damage is multiplied by 1 + 1.5*(Max - 2*Current)/Max. This means at 1HP, you're looking at essentially 2.5x more damage. I don't like the risk myself, or the stupid-high cost, but I do like target-all attacks, and this does that, so it's still fine in my book.

Dohter's Charity (30SP) - [Divine Skill] For three turns, items used by a single chosen ally will affect all.

Another fantastic Divine Skill. One Healing Grape heals 500HP, but now to the entire party. Now imagine a Pomegranate giving the entire party 1BP. Or throwing an Olive to revive the rest of your party. Now imagine using those with high-end consumables, and you'll see how valuable this gets. Then realize this works on Concoct, where the effects become even more insanely powerful (I'm talking restoring 9999HP to the entire party powerful), and then realize that this also works the same way on enemies... Yeah, this skill is good.

-----

Support Skills

Inspiration - With each successful standard attack, gain SP equal to 1% of the damage you deal.

Decent early game, especially since it rounds up, but loses its luster once you stop attacking as much in favor of spamming skills.

Hale and Hearty - Increases maximum HP by 500.

You know the deal by now. Great filler until something better comes along.

Resist Ailments - Improves resistance to poison, sleep, confusion, blindness, silence, terror, and unconsciousness.

Not sure how much it improves resistance. Not great in general, but can be nice for problematic fights involving nasty status effects.

Heightened Healing - Gain an additional 30% HP or SP when being healed or restored.

In Battle only. Kind of weak for an ultimate passive skill, it's not bad but it's not really great either. The Max HP boost may be better for all I know.

Anyway, next time we go snake-wranglin'.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Blotted Vipers. The only thing worse than Tunnel Snakes.

Especially since they got a little girl caught up in their turf wars :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm wondering how big this snake is if it's a boss. Probably big enough to have eaten the girl, I imagine.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Yes, letten us helpen you with this beast.

I'm so sorry you've already established you're writing in character for fluff.

Also, even if Last stand is pretty expensive, I will never forget the time when I just smashed something I think during the Chapter 2 boss fights for like 7000 in damage with that.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

There's something really refreshing about the fact that none of our protagonists are assholes.

Like Primrose is definitely the grimmest of them but that's more a matter of grim determination and being dealt a poo poo hand, not being an awful person. She's still decent.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Alfyn ended up with my favorite story because holy poo poo have I been there. Especially his chapter 3 but that’s a depressing story for another day. I hope you’re excited!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Night10194 posted:

There's something really refreshing about the fact that none of our protagonists are assholes.

Like Primrose is definitely the grimmest of them but that's more a matter of grim determination and being dealt a poo poo hand, not being an awful person. She's still decent.

That's because we're saving the rear end in a top hat for last.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Well, we still have one party member left who is a thief that can apparently rob people!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: Dark Caverns

The Cave of Rhiyo is, well, a cave.

It's surprisingly linear, with the side paths to treasure pretty obvious. Many of the treasures are alchemical ingredients, as is fitting for Alfyn.

There are the usual baddies, of course...

But I smash 'em.

These enemies can inflict poison, and poison deals 1/6 Max HP damage, so it can be rather nasty if you don't take care of it quickly.

But that's what Concoct is for! Soothing Seed + Noxroot heals 200HP and cures Poison.

The enemies are high enough level that I get to Alfyn's second skill before I even reach his boss. I opt for Amputation since I can replicate his other skills for now.

The token vendor sells some components as well as some herbs to cure poison and unconsciousness. Consider that a hint.

Why not?

Well, this looks important.

This must be the place!

(What an angel, coming all the way here to pick flowers for her brother.)

That...is a big snake.

Music: For Succor

Sorry to drop in unannounced. Say, don't suppose you could spare a nip of snakebite, could ya?

Oh, no, don't get up. I'll help myself.

Well shucks, if you insist.

Video: Boss - Blotted Viper

Music: Decisive Battle I

The Blotted Viper's in the middle difficulty-wise. He's easier than the bosses from Primrose and Olberic's chapters, but he's not the cakewalk the last couple were.

Business as usual. Take out the smaller foes first.

Poison Breath is scary. It deals alright damage, but it also inflicts poison on the entire party. Without Alfyn, it's impossible to heal poison party-wide, meaning you have to either waste turns curing it single-target, or wait for it to wear off as you take lots of damage. And that's if it doesn't use it again and add more turns.

But we do have Alfyn, and it just so happens that if we substitute the Seed for Dust, we can heal poison from the entire party with a small HP bonus on top of that.

Alfyn is really solid.

The Blotted Viper hits pretty hard with its party-wide attacks, too.

The fodder foes fall, leaving us with just the Viper.

The next step is chipping away at its weaknesses, until...

Bingo.

Since it had help, this guy doesn't have as high HP as the last two bosses.

Which is unfortunate for it.

And Leghold Trap, for good measure. Which it kinda seems to ignore a bit...

If you don't bother with Concoct and waited this long to recruit Alfyn (since the boss has much easier patterns early on), this guy can be very challenging. Poison is not a status to take lightly in this game. It's not the end of the world or anything, but the damage is significant enough to be a concern combined with all the other hard-hitting attacks.

And so the boss charges up its super attack...

And check that next turn. The Blotted Viper is now getting three attacks in one turn. This is how Octopath Traveler balances its bosses later on, by giving bosses more attacks each turn. Two attacks per turn becomes the norm later on.

Its first attack is Constrict, which inflicts Unconsciousness, which is a straight-up stun attack. The character is useless until it wears off or is healed.

This is where my knowledge of the game comes into play. Curious Bloom has wildly different effects depending on the primary ingredient, enough so that there's not even any consistency between a Seed and a Dust of the same type.

Soothing Dust + Curious Bloom heals a good amount of HP and heals all status effects while giving a turn of the status immunity buff.

Yeah, I could've just used an herb, but I like to show off.

After another Sweep, its third move is to do four powerful attacks on random targets.

If I had bad timing and didn't have two healers and Leghold Trap to give me a lot of breathing room, this could've been a scary situation.

But at this point, it's so low on health that I finish it soon after. Another job well done!

Music: Dark Caverns

What's that? Take all the venom I need?

-----

SILENCE

It'll all be all right, Nina. Alf'll be back any moment now. He's never let us down.
I...I know...

Music: Bonds of Friendship

The truth is, I didn't think I'd be able to raise you and protect you on my own.

When he told me he wanted to study together and become an apothecary himself... He gave me the strength to carry on. He's always so humble, apologizing for being a burden on me... But the truth is, I'm the one who's been relying on him all this time.

-----

Did you miss me? Heh, sorry it took so long...
Oh, Alfyn! Thank the gods you're safe...

I trust you can take it from here, eh?
I'll get started at once!

And so Alfyn saves the day thanks to the magic of having a really big axe.

The game helpfully zooms in to Alfyn's home.

Might as well check in on Zeph and Nina real quick before we do so.

And also take his axe I guess.

Alfyn invites his new friends to crash at his place. Alfyn seems the most likely of the bunch to let total strangers sleep in his home, so makes sense to me.

-----

SILENCE

(I wonder how Zeph is doing... I shouldn't worry. He'll be fine, like always.)

Music: Reminiscence

(I've given it all to be the best apothecary I can be. To be more like you-know-who.)

(And yet, this is where I was born and raised. Where I learned my craft... It's got grouchy Gertas, who I ain't never seen smiling. Meryl's got her act together, but she still needs a shoulder to cry on now and then. Gotta keep an eye on old Alek's cought, too...)

(You invited me to study together with you under your father. Took care of the books after we went into business together...)

Alfyn's young and his lived in the same small village his whole life, so of course he has the yearning to go out, explore the world, and learn all he can to hone his craft. But he has responsibilities here, so it's not that simple.

-----

Video: That Which Truly Matters

Music: Enveloped in Kindness

I knew it. With you on the job, was there ever any doubt?

You...you saved my sister's life. How can I ever repay you?
Don't even mention it.

Father could cure every disease known to man, but for the first time, he was at a loss.

-----

But...why'd you save me? We ain't got no money, you know.
Listen, son...and listen well.

-----

To help people out, just like he did.
Oh, um...is that how it went?

We've been together forever now. So I can tell...

Just like him...

I'm not daft, you know.
...But still, this is my home. I know you're a skilled apothecary, Zeph. At least as good as--no, probably even a little better than me.

Besides, who else'd cut your ego down to size? Who'll listen to Gertas's grumblings? And Meryl's tales of unrequited love?

...!
Don't you worry about anything. I'll see that the villagers and happy and healthy. I swear it on my life.

Do it with your heart at ease and your head held high.

And of course, Alfyn will leave his home to see the world outside.

-----

Video: Setting Out

Music: Alfyn, the Apothecary

Time to see just how far my talents will go. I'm gonna save folks the world over. Just like the man who saved me.

Come on, Zeph. I didn't ask for a going-away party.
Just a little present for the road. It's nothing special, but...

That way, no matter how far you travel, I'll be right there with you.

I... It was the only thing that came to me...

Now there's a plan! I'll put it to good use, Alf.

See ya around.
Be safe out there, friend.

Alfyn sets out to help everyone he can, including the very people in the traveling band he has joined.

Our merry group is up to seven, but that's not enough for a proper Octopath. For now, we'll explore Clearbrook and the surrounding areas and solve a few more problems, and then eventually go and recruit our eighth and final character. Until next time!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alfyn is voiced by Greg Chun, who came into the VA business not long ago: He voices Lukas from Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia, as well as Lukas's Heroes incarnation, while also getting cast as Ike and Ephraim. He also played N'Doul in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Alfyn has one of the best max boost lines, as evidenced by my avatar.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

That is indeed a very big snake.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Wow my eyes got a little bit misty at that.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One noticable hint about just how much of a boozehound alfyn is: the line about the waterblooms making a good bitters.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Huh, interestingly Alfyn only KO's the snake and takes what he needs, rather than carving it wide open and harvesting the poison from its corpse. I can't see most of the other characters being that polite/merciful.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, the girls were intruding on its turf!

But yeah, most RPG protagonists would've just killed it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

We need more protagonists like Alfyn.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's a neat balance going on here, between aspirational and driven characters. I don't think a single coherent story could have carried it off as well.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I like how it's not enough for Alfyn to just go into the cave, knock out the snake and collect the venom... he feels compelled to sass it, too. :allears:

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Some Numbers posted:

Alfyn has one of the best max boost lines, as evidenced by my avatar.

I still personally prefer "My blade is unbending!", but that's partially because I started with Olberic, so I got to hear it a lot.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ZeButler posted:

I still personally prefer "My blade is unbending!", but that's partially because I started with Olberic, so I got to hear it a lot.

Olberic’s is objectively the best. I put Alfyn’s st a comfortable second.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cyrus's shouty wizard lines are real good though.

But I just really like Cyrus.

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Cyrus's shouty wizard lines are real good though.

But I just really like Cyrus.
"My focus is unparalleled" is basically the mage version of "my blade is unbending" anyway.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

Pharohman777 posted:

One noticable hint about just how much of a boozehound alfyn is: the line about the waterblooms making a good bitters.
The girl was getting them for her brother. Alfyn is saying what Zeph wants them for; bitters were developed as medicinal concoctions. Actually most apothecary concoctions were alcoholic, because alcohol doesn't get moldy and full of dysentery like water does.

Don't get me wrong, Alfyn is great, but you still don't have the best character. Anyone who doesn't love Therion is provably wrong.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The fact that Cyrus has two different max boost lines is pretty great.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

gbuchold posted:

The girl was getting them for her brother. Alfyn is saying what Zeph wants them for; bitters were developed as medicinal concoctions. Actually most apothecary concoctions were alcoholic, because alcohol doesn't get moldy and full of dysentery like water does.

Don't get me wrong, Alfyn is great, but you still don't have the best character. Anyone who doesn't love Therion is provably wrong.

He is my second favorite character, but we got my favorite at the start, so I did not push for it afterwards.
Plus, we ended up with the Poohat.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Some Numbers posted:

The fact that Cyrus has two different max boost lines is pretty great.

Cyrus is all of us when we were 8 pretending to be wizards, but he has a fancier vocabulary

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Music: Atlasdam, Seat of Learning

This one is way back in Atlasdam. We could've done it as soon as we got Olberic, but hey, it's nice to have a few Side Stories in the backlog for when I need them, and boy do I need them!

But I'm afraid that I'm being hounded by nasty, vicious moneylenders... I have repaid all of my parents' debt, but the interest... They always claim that I haven't paid all of the interest!

Let's see what we're dealing with first.

Seems like this guy has his heart in the right place. As for the other guy...

Your parents must be weepin' in the afterlife to see you like this, "Professor." You spineless weakling... Good for nothing but cracking open books!

Lovely individual.

So lovely we can even recruit him if we really wanted. Extort debuffs both defenses.

Anyway I smash 'em.

You planning on sticking up for this useless milksop?

Yet I have continued to pay you all that you demanded, not wanting to give you any chance to dirty my father's good name.
......!
But I have paid you more than enough!

And so the simpering milksop goes running away, tail between his legs.

It's time that I propel myself to pursue my own dreams!

I have been thinking for some time that I would like to set out on a journey. There are so many poor children in this world who cannot get the education they deserve. I want to change that. And I will begin right here in the Flatlands.

So by beating up a moneylender, we could very well be enriching the future of the children of Orsterra. Good advice for real life, too!

Just as long as we get our cut, of course.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I demand we have another poll to choose the next character.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I was going to but Strawpoll won’t let me make one-choice polls for some dumb reason and I’m not clever enough to make a good second joke option.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Mega64 posted:

I was going to but Strawpoll won’t let me make one-choice polls for some dumb reason and I’m not clever enough to make a good second joke option.

There is the other secret T option.

Dr. Tot.

Sarah Problem
Sep 24, 2002

Because, if you confess with your mouth that Witten is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved

Mega64 posted:

The answer is always goku

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mega64 posted:

Tressa's twin sister Teresa.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

FeyerbrandX posted:

There is the other secret T option.

Dr. Tot.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Cooked Auto posted:

Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series.

& Knuckles