Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite thing as a lawyer is when you meet two co accused and you gotta interview them to find out which is the bigger pain in the butt so you can farm them out externally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

algebra testes posted:

My favorite thing as a lawyer is when you meet two co accused and you gotta interview them to find out which is the bigger pain in the butt so you can farm them out externally

Uhh that's a conflict right? Interviewing both of them?

Edit: I took ethics this semester :cool:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Im just talking about "how often are you gonna call me from jail."

Also if you cry you are gone. No cry babys allowed.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest
Cooley offers an online LLM in finance!

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
How much are they charging?

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I got hosed today. Judge didn't think witness intimidation was relevant.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

CaptainScraps posted:

loving lol

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

CaptainScraps posted:

Ya I'd appeal that poo poo.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Pook Good Mook posted:

Ya I'd appeal that poo poo.

Abuse of discretion says what?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

CaptainScraps posted:

Depends on the facts. What happened?

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Bench trial? Zero error.

Just trial? Abuse of discretion.

On a personal note, I am about to appear in federal court for the first time. I'm going solo. It's bankruptcy court but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Bench trial? Zero error.

On a personal note, I am about to appear in federal court for the first time. I'm going solo. It's bankruptcy court but I have no idea what I'm doing.

I believe in you!

Toona the Cat posted:

Cooley offers an online LLM in finance!

Oh cool, maybe I can find a real job doing something honorable and fulfilling instead, like in finance

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Bench trial? Zero error.

Honestly I find practicing in federal court way easier than state court. The judges actually read your briefs, the rules make sense, and there isn't a different set of rules for every county. The one thing to remember is that federal court is all about :decorum: and you can't get away with the same sniping/shittiness you can get away with in state court.

That said, I want to make it clear that I do not agree with Fish and I do not believe in you

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Bench trial? Zero error.

bankruptcy court owns, judges are usually good and know what they're talking about

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ActusRhesus posted:

Depends on the facts. What happened?

Arguing mom weaponizes her children and creates unhealthy relationship.

THEN I found out the judge I was in front of is facing contempt for doing the exact same thing.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Well I hosed up my pleadings under the local rules but the automatic stay was lifted so I can destroy grandmas home.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Bench trial? Zero error.

Make sure if you're planning on filing anything you get your PACER and ECF filing privileges taken care of ASAP. There's nothing worse then trying to navigate the bureaucracy of getting ECF sorted out with a rapidly approaching deadline.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Well I hosed up my pleadings under the local rules but the automatic stay was lifted so I can destroy grandmas home.

Proud of u babe

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I almost posted this in the legal advice forum but it's not really a legal problem.

For Christmas I'm trying to get an old patent framed and looking nice. Unfortunately, the patent is VERY old (like 1870's). The US Patent office has a scanned copy of the patent but the scan is probably too lovely to print out and frame. Is there a way to get an official paper copy from the US patent office of a patent?

Related question: Is there a way to search for a pre-1976 patent knowing the name of the applicant but not the patent number?

GamingHyena fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 12, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GamingHyena posted:

For Christmas I'm trying to get an old patent framed and looking nice. Unfortunately, the patent is VERY old (like 1870's). The US Patent office has a scanned copy of the patent but the scan is probably too lovely to print out and frame. Is there a way to get an official paper copy from the US patent office of a patent?

You can try ordering a certified copy of the issued patent document, but I'm not convinced you'll get anything other than the scanned copy. https://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/checking-application-status/order-certified-copies

GamingHyena posted:

Related question: Is there a way to search for a pre-1976 patent knowing the name of the applicant but not the patent number?

Google Patents is your best free shot for that: https://patents.google.com/?inventor=bartos&oq=bartos

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

ulmont posted:

You can try ordering a certified copy of the issued patent document, but I'm not convinced you'll get anything other than the scanned copy. https://www.uspto.gov/patents-application-process/checking-application-status/order-certified-copies

Google Patents is your best free shot for that: https://patents.google.com/?inventor=bartos&oq=bartos

Lol thanks for the gift idea for my partners

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

It even has a picture of their reaction!

"That guy Phil is such a dildo"
\

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
One of my partners had a good year last year so I gave him this but he hasn't hung it up in his office yet

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
I have a framed Dan Lacey in my apartment. It was one of the eulers identity = pancake ones. I did not hang the bonus companion piece he sent me of faith mouse piloting a rocket dildo.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.391a221b6867

Fried chicken is a calzone, apparently.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It’s a Christmas miracle

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

It’s beginning to feel a lot like Christmas

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I had a county judge completely rewrite a plea deal from the bench yesterday.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Hey I'm not going to destroy their home for at least 6 months. It'll be nice and warm

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Well, I hope you all are strapped the gently caress in for tonight, because this is it. It's happening.

The night before St. Lucy's Day, which is tomorrow, is the night of the Oskorei, also known as Åsgårdsreia, Juleskreia, Imberkulludn or even gandreið. It is the passing of the undead riders of old, ancestors and old gods alike. In the front, dead Wotan or Odin himself rides across the land, and anyone outside or who hasn't painted a cross on his door with pitch is in danger of having his soul torn out and vanish to ride with the rest of them.

Of course, you guys know it as the Wild Hunt, of recent The Witcher fame and also from your own nightmares. Stay safe out there and have a lovely St. Lucy's day tomorrow.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

CaptainScraps posted:

Lol what the gently caress

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Nice piece of fish posted:

Well, I hope you all are strapped the gently caress in for tonight, because this is it. It's happening.

The night before St. Lucy's Day, which is tomorrow, is the night of the Oskorei, also known as Åsgårdsreia, Juleskreia, Imberkulludn or even gandreið. It is the passing of the undead riders of old, ancestors and old gods alike. In the front, dead Wotan or Odin himself rides across the land, and anyone outside or who hasn't painted a cross on his door with pitch is in danger of having his soul torn out and vanish to ride with the rest of them.

Of course, you guys know it as the Wild Hunt, of recent The Witcher fame and also from your own nightmares. Stay safe out there and have a lovely St. Lucy's day tomorrow.

One of these days I should finish that game.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

sullat posted:

One of these days I should finish that game.

One of these days I'll get out of Velen.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
https://twitter.com/andybcampbell/status/1072878946969104384

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

also https://twitter.com/nathanTbernard/status/1072983078866468864

:discourse:

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Lol that makes me think of Nathan for You legal counsel for Dumb Starbucks, when he signs the "appearance release" and talks about how he should be reading it before he signs it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I have a great job lead for anyone looking to move up in the legal profession:

https://twitter.com/USAO_LosAngeles/status/1073009469863284736

The SAUSA will be primarily responsible for prosecuting misdemeanor and infraction offenses which occur on federal property within the Central District of California such as federal buildings, national parks, military installations, post offices, Veteran Affairs medical centers, national wildlife refuges, and national forests. For example, the SAUSA may be responsible for a trial on a DUI offense that occurred on federal property. The SAUSA will travel to various courthouse within the district for trials, including in Santa Barbara and Riverside counties.

Salary:
$0.00

Number of Positions:
Hiring is for four SAUSAs. As needed, additional positions may be filled using this announcement.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 13, 2018

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
SAUSAs have been a thing forever. They explicitly won't hire you after either too.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Lol why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

SAUSAs are either fresh out of school doing it for the experience and so they have connections, meaning they either need a spouse who's working and can support them or some family money or something, or they are employed by another polity/entity that wants to coordinate stuff with the local USAO. Our state's USAO has had both in the past few years, and it has led to jobs for a few people. Just not jobs in the USAO itself, because government.