Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Smeef posted:

In four years he'll be on the faculty at Georgetown and be a regular contributor on Fox.

uh fox isn't hiring the guy who flipped on trump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

KillHour posted:

A sack of flour.

Sack of Flour for prez 2020

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Smeef posted:

Pardons wouldn't help Trump one bit, right? Anyone pardoned could still be called to testify against Trump and would go right back in for perjury or obstruction of justice if they don't cooperate. At this point I get the feeling that Trump just has to hope that the next president pulls a Ford and pardons him under some bullshit guise of preserving the integrity of the presidency, as if there will be any left. And a pardon is an admission of guilt.

If it gets to the point of pardons, then it's end game and there aren't really any scenarios where Trump gets out.

Yep. It also doesn't protect you from civil litigation and requires an admission of guilt to accept a pardon. Joe Arpaio is reaping all the bigotry and hatred he has sown over accepting a pardon and is being sued BELOW the poor house.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Groovelord Neato posted:

i didn't realize until today that clinton got more votes than obama in the 2008 primary. cool system.

There were issues with some of the states changing their dates for the primary and violating rules. Obama's name did not appear on the Michigan ballot, but Clinton's did. If you exclude Michigan, Obama won the popular vote.

The superdelegates are a bad idea that undermines democracy though.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Smeef posted:

In four years he'll be on the faculty at Georgetown and be a regular contributor on Fox.

MSNBC. He's trying to portray himself as standing up to the corrupt President even though he was all about doing crimes.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

evilweasel posted:

except if you got a pardon once, why wouldn't you think that you'll get a second one for telling the prosecutors to go gently caress themselves

Because they can do it again when Trump is out of office and can't pardon.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Smeef posted:

Because they can do it again when Trump is out of office and can't pardon.

oh i assume that the real issue there will be litigating the self-pardon trump issues to himself on his way out, trump's crimes involve lots of financial crimes which don't need witnesses

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

mdemone posted:

Minus restitution which'll take a chunk out of that.

Money isn't enough. Treason requires an additional payment in a much more substantial currency than all of his wealth.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

friendbot2000 posted:

Yep. It also doesn't protect you from civil litigation and requires an admission of guilt to accept a pardon. Joe Arpaio is reaping all the bigotry and hatred he has sown over accepting a pardon and is being sued BELOW the poor house.

More than not protecting you, it virtually guarantees defeat in a civil case since the burden of proof is lower than it is in a criminal case.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

evilweasel posted:

except if you got a pardon once, why wouldn't you think that you'll get a second one for telling the prosecutors to go gently caress themselves

Because you get charged with civil contempt of court, which isn't a crime that can be pardoned. Then you sit in jail until you behave.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

JasonV posted:

contempt of court, which isn't a crime that can be pardoned.

Is this actually true? I would have thought the President can pardon a contempt charge brought by a federal judge.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

mdemone posted:

Is this actually true? I would have thought the President can pardon a contempt charge brought by a federal judge.

Civil contempt isn't a crime. There's no trial. There's nothing to pardon. It's just a judge sending you to jail until you listen to what they say.

Criminal contempt is when you actively mess with the justice system, which is what Joe Arpaio was charged with. That is a crime, there was a trial and he was pardoned.

JasonV fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 12, 2018

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

evilweasel posted:

oh i assume that the real issue there will be litigating the self-pardon trump issues to himself on his way out, trump's crimes involve lots of financial crimes which don't need witnesses

Could Trump pardon the Trump Organization or would that still be fair game for the DoJ and state AGs to shred?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

Is he now? Well...I guess there was a silver lining to that prick getting a pardon after all. :)

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

theblackw0lf posted:

Good example of how AOC and the other new stars are pragmatic enough to listen to and address the concerns of their fellow congressional members, while still holding true to their fundamental vision and goals.

https://twitter.com/motherjones/status/1072844811345035265?s=21
Are you sure? I thought pragmatism was "doing absolutely nothing unless victory is 100 percent ensured"

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1072901398155558912

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Gee, rich guy gets a slap on the wrist, color me shocked. I'll bet the paint scheme of his relaxed cell will be absolute torture

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Are you sure? I thought pragmatism was "doing absolutely nothing unless victory is 100 percent ensured"

No, pragmatism is collaborating with nazis

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

empty whippet box posted:

Truly, truly loving amazing that 36 months is all he's sentenced to when literally any crime a poor person could possibly commit is likely to result in more

You have it backwards. We should be looking to fix our sentencing guidelines for those non-violent crimes, not using them as a reference point for locking up people for even longer for other non-violent crimes.

Also, he is getting disbarred probably for life and he pled guilty to avoiding $1.4M in taxes, which I assume he will now be forced to pay.

He also might be too toxic for Fox, although I'm sure he will make bank on a book deal and movie.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

as much as most of them probaly agree with this poo poo. its really really bad publicity to go after gay people that openly outside the evangelical swarm dome.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

JasonV posted:

GOP don't like the piece of poo poo they tried to elect and want to take advantage of their own corrupt election to switch him out.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1072896261743886336

Wait how could they not get support to change the law they have a supermajority

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003
USPOL: A veritable smorgasbord of fraudulent conduct.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Could Trump pardon the Trump Organization or would that still be fair game for the DoJ and state AGs to shred?

I love the idea of Trump going hog wild with pardons and using it on random civil asset forfeiture cases.

"Trump pardons Approximately 64,695 Pounds of Shark Fins"

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

evilweasel posted:

Depends on whether Fox and similar propaganda outlets have started shoving Trump down the Dubya Bush Memory Hole by that time.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

:lol:

So this is happening

American Border Foundation is administering and supporting America’s participating Sheriffs to deliver funds to DHS for border wall construction.

https://www.fundthewall.com

$132,197 of $450 million raised

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slowpoke! posted:

You have it backwards. We should be looking to fix our sentencing guidelines for those non-violent crimes, not using them as a reference point for locking up people for even longer for other non-violent crimes.

Also, he is getting disbarred probably for life and he pled guilty to avoiding $1.4M in taxes, which I assume he will now be forced to pay.

He also might be too toxic for Fox, although I'm sure he will make bank on a book deal and movie.

Social and economic violence often have a larger impact than physical violence and white collar criminals should have their sentencing reflect that.

I mean... it doesn't. But it should.

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

FilthyImp posted:

Just another example of the money needs money poo poo that the ultra rich get into.

"You could pay for every low income student to go through college+grad school!"
"uh yes... but then we would have LESS MONEY. MAYBE LESS THAN YALE!"
For what it's worth, Harvard does have somewhat generous tuition coverage for lower income families:

quote:

Harvard’s financial aid programs pay 100 percent of tuition, fees, room, and board for students from families earning less than $65,000 a year. Families with incomes from $65,000 to $150,000 pay between zero and 10 percent of their income. This means that, for 90 percent of families earning less than $150,000, a Harvard education is competitive with or less expensive than a public university in a student’s home state. Harvard stresses that most of the students qualifying for financial aid (about 60 percent of undergraduates) also receive travel allowances to keep them connected with home. Harvard also points out that a quarter of its current students come from families with less than $80,000 in annual income.
I'm not saying that they couldn't or shouldn't do more, or that their allocation of endowment funds is just in a larger sense, though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

shouldn't the guy that didn't cheat automatically win.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

evilweasel posted:

in 3 years FOX will be amazed that anyone could have ever supported Trump and that we have always been at war with Eurasia.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So this is happening

American Border Foundation is administering and supporting America’s participating Sheriffs to deliver funds to DHS for border wall construction.

A powerful grift. Respect.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So this is happening

Didn't DHS already say "thanks but no thanks" to these idiots?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Phlag posted:

For what it's worth, Harvard does have somewhat generous tuition coverage for lower income families:

I'm not saying that they couldn't or shouldn't do more, or that their allocation of endowment funds is just in a larger sense, though.

Ah yes and what percentage of their class comes from families making less than 65000 a year, i'll wait

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

Is he now? Well...I guess there was a silver lining to that prick getting a pardon after all. :)

Yep! The real delicious part about this is that no one explained to him the ramifications of explaining a pardon or he just didn't listen and immediately slobbered Trumps knob. Once every single person and their dead relatives started suing him he tried to go to a judge and get it expunged from his record. The judge basically laughed in his face.

You also wave your 5th amendment rights by accepting a pardon.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/kenvogel/status/1072906538455629824

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Ahahaha they have to re-run the guy they just admitted committed election fraud.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ah yes and what percentage of their class comes from families making less than 65000 a year, i'll wait

according the harvard, 20%

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

That would have to be before March 6, because otherwise I don't think he'd be able to do that from prison. Even white-collar rich guy prison.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
I've gotta admit, it's a really weird feeling to sit here thinking that someone did the right thing by cooperating with the feds, but here we are.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

VitalSigns posted:

maybe the guy who committed the fraud has a few friends in the NC legislature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Your Taint posted:

That would have to be before March 6, because otherwise I don't think he'd be able to do that from prison. Even white-collar rich guy prison.

He can write and make phone calls from prison.