Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

tangy yet delightful posted:

Follow up question re: HVLP gun

Would a 21gal Harbor Freight air compressor be good enough for the job (figuring I'd buy it for the job then sell afterwards, Home Depot charges only $20 less for a rental for a week)? Also what about a Harbor Freight HVLP gun? Or should I go Husky brand, or something else?

You may want to consider renting a gun with an attached compressor that can provide continuous pressure.

I was using a 60 gallon 1/2 HP compressor and wasn’t terribly happy with the results. The pressure would drop enough to kick on the compressor, which would cause fluctuations in the pressure and change the flow rate of the paint.

My suggestion was more a cautionary tale than an actual suggestion. Settle for rolled on self-leveling paint, expect to pay $70-80 a gallon for it, or have them professionally done.

I went way, way down the rabbit hole and still didn’t like the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Jealous Cow posted:

You may want to consider renting a gun with an attached compressor that can provide continuous pressure.

I was using a 60 gallon 1/2 HP compressor and wasn’t terribly happy with the results. The pressure would drop enough to kick on the compressor, which would cause fluctuations in the pressure and change the flow rate of the paint.

My suggestion was more a cautionary tale than an actual suggestion. Settle for rolled on self-leveling paint, expect to pay $70-80 a gallon for it, or have them professionally done.

I went way, way down the rabbit hole and still didn’t like the results.

Hmm ok maybe I'll do like a one door test with a quart of the good stuff + roller and decide from there.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

A little , but while Flowtrol works okay but for a relatively limited area I’d just bite the bullet and get a can of Ben Moore Aura. It goes on amazingly well and is pretty bulletproof assuming your prep is good. A gun is good but there is a learning curve. You can be off the races with a high quality brush and high end paint.

stupid puma fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 8, 2018

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

Edit: double post, whoops

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've also ventured down the spray gun route a few times and never got past the research stage, because it seemed like the ROI in time and money was never worth it unless you're doing it frequently.

When it comes to painting doors, well, I'll probably opt for lots of sanding and polishing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Looking for a good Motion sensor light that will light the side of my house where the driveway is.

Solar or battery because I don't want to run wires(also I don't know how!)

Nothing insanely bright because I live in the city and my driveway is also the amount of space between my house and my neighbor.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Re: French doors

Bubble wrap is the standard diy temporary insulation here. Cover the whole dang gap and promise to just use one door this winter.
I use Command strips to attach things when I'm worried about surface damage.

There are also fluffy brushy "weather" strips that help retain air in a different way than plain rubber strips.

http://www.allaboutdoors.com/Products/Pile-Weatherstrip-Door-Window

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

Does anyone have tips/experience regarding drafty double French doors? Last year around this time we put duct tape over the cracks (mostly the middle, but also some on the sides) and that made a noticeable difference, especially to our thermostat. Over the summer we had someone come and adjust the doors a little -- they were slightly crooked and didn't press up against the middle bar properly, to the point where you could actually see daylight. He also replaced the weather stripping. Of course, the middle bar can only be weather-stripped so much -- it does have some, but it's hard to see how it could really be made air tight.

This year we seem to be having the same problem again; I think it's a little better, but it is still causing our HVAC to kick into overdrive most nights. Obviously the best solution is probably just getting new doors (these have probably been here since the house was built in 1987), but are there any other little things that can be done to help until then? Taping them up works, but it's annoying and ugly.

I had once tried some adhesive foam type stuff (in the middle, which is the main problem), but it was hard to do it in such a way that both doors could be freely opened and closed. Perhaps I should try it again now that they're less crooked. I feel like the ideal would be some kind of... magnetic flap? Like across the middle, attached to one door and it slaps closed on the other. I sense that they still don't form a great deal against the middle bar, but I don't know how much else could possibly be done to make them do that. So just slapping some kind of seal over that crack seems better, but I still want to be able to open them. I think the sides, top, and bottom are all relatively good at this point.

Let's start with what you mean by "double french doors". Are you talking about two doors that close in the middle, or are you talking about something like this with more points of movement/closure:

And in any case, without pictures the real answer if you want to keep the doors operational and airtight is likely to be "replace them."

Pictures would help.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Motronic posted:

Let's start with what you mean by "double french doors". Are you talking about two doors that close in the middle, or are you talking about something like this with more points of movement/closure:

And in any case, without pictures the real answer if you want to keep the doors operational and airtight is likely to be "replace them."

Pictures would help.

Sorry, thought that was a less ambiguous term. It's these guys:

The one on the left (in the picture) is also the one that has the middle bar thing (don't know the word for it) "attached" -- the thing that has the groove & striker plate for the other door to click into. It also has little locks on the top and bottom that keep it in place -- so basically it's the one that isn't used as often, by design. But when we need to, we can open both of them and there is no permanent piece in between.

The issue seems to be that no matter what we do, there's not good enough weather stripping in that middle area. It's kinda just too loose a fit, I guess. Not by much, but it's enough to be a problem.

My door terminology leaves much to be desired, but hopefully that covers the gist of it.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 12, 2018

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

I need a humidifier. It's like 20% humidity in my apartment and will only get worse. What's a good brand these days? I was looking into a Levoit that had favorable reviews outside Amazon, but literally every humidifier on the market is a piece of garbage if you judge by Amazon reviews.

Thinking either two of these (one in bedroom one in living area): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HMW93B1/ref=twister_B07KMS3PLV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Or one of these placed in the center of the apartment (would this even make sense? apt is ~1,000 sqft): https://www.amazon.com/LEVOIT-Humid...ASIN=B01MYGNGKK
I like the idea of having built in humidity control.

emotive fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Dec 12, 2018

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I have this one based on a wirecutter review and like it. Because it's basically a small evaporative cooler, it ends up self stabilizing near 50% RH and doesn't risk mist condensing on nearby surfaces.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002QAYJPO

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

The one on the left (in the picture) is also the one that has the middle bar thing (don't know the word for it) "attached" -- the thing that has the groove & striker plate for the other door to click into. It also has little locks on the top and bottom that keep it in place -- so basically it's the one that isn't used as often, by design. But when we need to, we can open both of them and there is no permanent piece in between.

The issue seems to be that no matter what we do, there's not good enough weather stripping in that middle area. It's kinda just too loose a fit, I guess. Not by much, but it's enough to be a problem.

My door terminology leaves much to be desired, but hopefully that covers the gist of it.

Get one of these bad boys, but not as ugly?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Sir Lemming posted:

So would a "single French door" just be... a door? :D

Not shaming you, it's just funny in hindsight.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

emotive posted:

I need a humidifier. It's like 20% humidity in my apartment and will only get worse.

Old fashioned goodness

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

peanut posted:

Old fashioned goodness

R2D2?!

:kimchi:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Its actually Tom Servo's great grandfather.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Qwijib0 posted:

I have this one based on a wirecutter review and like it. Because it's basically a small evaporative cooler, it ends up self stabilizing near 50% RH and doesn't risk mist condensing on nearby surfaces.

This is a very good humidifier and it’s super easy to keep clean. I’ve tried a couple models before this and this has been the winner.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Qwijib0 posted:

I've been using this one for two winters now with no issues at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sir Lemming posted:

So "french doors".

Are they level? As in, is the gap between the two doors the same size all the way from top to bottom? You said they were already "adjusted" once.

If they are level, is the gap excessive (i.e., are the doors too far apart)?

Is the "bar" you are talking about like this?

As in, it's attached to the exterior of one of the doors? If not, that isn't an exterior door.

In the end, the fact that they have a couple of slide bolts installed and you've already had someone presumably halfway competent to adjust them and attempt to weather strip again indicates they are past their prime and due for replacement.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Meanwhile, you could cover them with curtains at night.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I thought "French" referred to the style, where there's a glass pane on the whole thing. But the people who I usually talk about this kind of stuff with are also notorious for using terms incorrectly, so I guess that explains it.

Motronic posted:

Is the "bar" you are talking about like this?

As in, it's attached to the exterior of one of the doors?

Yes, that's it.

I guess this all confirms my fear that there's not a whole lot we can do to "fix" them, at least not while still keeping them usable for the winter. (Occasionally we'll get like 80 degree days during the winter out of nowhere; and the rest of the time, it's the ideal place to bring in firewood, so it's nice to have the option.) Unfortunately this house was a rental before we got it, so there's a good chance it's just not a great door.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there a good s shaped shower arm with a diverter in it closer to the wall rather than where the shower head attaches to? Or maybe gooseneck is the shape I am looking for too.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Dec 13, 2018

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

peanut posted:

Old fashioned goodness

Holy crap, is that a KeroSun heater? I haven’t seen one of those since about 1980.

Edit: err, guess it’s not that brand. There’s a reason I haven’t heard of them for a while.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 13, 2018

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I want to buy a new kitchen/dining room table but am stupid.

Anyone have ~opinions~ on the topic they want to share? I can fit probably a 60x75 (is that the size? 2 people on the long end) table in my kitchen/dining room (no formal dining room; it's just one big kitchen).

My kitchen has medium brown wood floor, black quartz counters. I have a black Ikea island with the wood butcher board top.

Some initial questions I have: benches are trendy - are they practical? What about a bench on one side and chairs on the other?
Chair cushions vs. non?
Chair shape / back shape?
4 seats/chairs vs 6 (i.e. for the heads of the table? Does it make sense for such a small table?)
Color? I guess hard to say without seeing/pictures but.. table top color? Legs color?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

totalnewbie posted:

Some initial questions I have: benches are trendy - are they practical?
Chair cushions vs. non?
4 seats/chairs vs 6 (i.e. for the heads of the table?

Do not buy a bench. Your house is not the park. I would judge the hell out of you for buying a dining room picnic table. Trendy generally means tacky.

Buy as many chairs as you can squeeze around the table, people can always laugh at how closely they are sat next to their neighbor but it sucks to stand. You can store extras for day to day use.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Unless of course the table is against a wall in which case a bench on one side works better.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

totalnewbie posted:

Some initial questions I have: benches are trendy - are they practical? What about a bench on one side and chairs on the other?
Chair cushions vs. non?
4 seats/chairs vs 6 (i.e. for the heads of the table? Does it make sense for such a small table?)
Color? I guess hard to say without seeing/pictures but.. table top color? Legs color?

Benches: Only acceptable if you are placing the table against the wall due to space constraints and the people that are forced to use the bench get to put their backs against said wall. Acceptable, not encouraged.

Cushions: Sure? Are you using the table for anything other than eating? Cushions can be nice, but cushions can hide crumbs and food and poo poo if you have a messy eater.

Chair shape: Go sit in some chairs. Find one that doesn't have an annoying design in the back that might cause discomfort if you are enjoying a second bottle of wine with a friend and chatting late into the night. (or move to the couch/bed)

# of chairs: I agree with the have em and not need em crowd more than the need em and not have em. If you can afford them and they fit... also applies to having the bench, its an "in case of emergency/party" sort of thing.

Color: match the table if you can, general kitchen theme or some natural wood will work.

Note: these are just like my opinions, man

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We have a solid wood slab table and 2 benches and it works great for big gatherings and lots of spread out projects with our kids and such. I've never had a problem with it. It's pretty good.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
My parents had a table with two benches as our dining room table for... 20+ years? It was fine. Right about the time they decided to swap out the benches for chairs they demoted the table altogether to the den and it is still in service after 40+ years.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Yeah if Mr Hawk wants to judge you, let him, I've lived in a place with benches and it was fine. That said, there are practical considerations so think about the sort of use you're really going to put it to and then go try some and test some scenarios. Are they a nightmare to get out of if it's full of people? Maybe OK if it's your 4 kids under 8, maybe not the best for classy dinner parties.

Just be honest with yourself and realistic about how many people will be using it regularly and how many on rare busy occasions, and buy something appropriate for those extremes and the space you have to work with.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Yeah if Mr Hawk wants to judge you, let him, I've lived in a place with benches and it was fine. That said, there are practical considerations so think about the sort of use you're really going to put it to and then go try some and test some scenarios. Are they a nightmare to get out of if it's full of people? Maybe OK if it's your 4 kids under 8, maybe not the best for classy dinner parties.

Just be honest with yourself and realistic about how many people will be using it regularly and how many on rare busy occasions, and buy something appropriate for those extremes and the space you have to work with.

I loathe getting in and out of benches, they hurt my back, and they hurt my tailbone. You're never scooted in the correct amount, and as such I am just as likely to hurt my knee or thigh transitioning in or out. I am also a big princess when it comes to creature comfort.

Overall judged as gently caress. Corner breakfast knooks are about all they make sense in to me. Even then I will pull the table around to adjust it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

H110Hawk posted:

they hurt my tailbone

Explains why you're so butthurt about it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut posted:

I found the perfect dining set at Hard Off (used everything store lol). 80's af with a storage bench and six pull-out drawers!

We have this bench and chairs set. The little drawers in the table are awesome for AC remotes, screwdrivers, crayons, and vaccination records.
The big bench is not used effectively yet... it has some seldom used hardware stuff like extension cords, vases and candles. I should put some divider baskets in there.

I'm pretty satisfied, but the small drawers mean the underside of the table is lower than it looks, and my husband can't easily fit his legs underneath.
No, the bench isn't actually comfortable to sit on, lol. I use a cushion when I'm working on my computer.
When we host parties people just sit and stand to eat wherever, but nice sit-down dinners with the grandparents means borrowing chairs or sending the kids to the coffee table/kotatsu. It's awesome only having 2 chairs for the kids to never push in.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

peanut posted:

There's one major company called Sekisui that does it like this. They made the cubic houses near mine.
https://youtu.be/Hx56wDkpr9s

Another series of these are going up down the block from us. I lol every time I see a completed kitchen flying through the air.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgAOJCoFg9U

peanut fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 14, 2018

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I have a real fireplace. It has a single chain.

I pulled the chain down, heard a thump from the flue, and the chain is designed to be held in place while pulled down.

I'm pretty sure I've closed the flue - did I get that right?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

totalnewbie posted:

I have a real fireplace. It has a single chain.

I pulled the chain down, heard a thump from the flue, and the chain is designed to be held in place while pulled down.

I'm pretty sure I've closed the flue - did I get that right?

Light a fire. You’ll be able to tell in about 5 minutes. (Don’t do this).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

BigFactory posted:

Light a fire. You’ll be able to tell in about 5 minutes. (Don’t do this).

Lighting a small fire is specific advice I got from a chimney sweep for doing a smoke test, that or buy lil smoke tablet things if I feel worried about being able to extinguish such a fire

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also try shoving you phone up there on video and messing with the chain. Just speak out what you’re doing while filming.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
Solid advice, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The one place I lived with a working fireplace I remember I could just kinda reach up there and feel the flu damper. It wasn't that far up. It might be the same way with yours.