Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

No.

They must be combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Beat me to it.

They need to do the following

Wild West
Pro Wrestling
Yokai(they've done it before, been a long time)
Catch the monsters and use them as allies
Food
Ghosts busting
Subterranean
Pop star
Dream realm
Spiders
Bounty Hunter
Lumberjack
Oceans 11

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."
Wait is the joke that those themes are all ready elements of current Super Sentai shows?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I played Chroma Squad and was thoroughly whelmed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Star Man posted:

I don't have a clue in the slightest of what a Sentai/Power Rangers fighting game would be like at this point in time because there are more characters to use than there are particles in the universe.
Mortal Kombat style?
Or really a MvC2/Smash style game with either unbalanced giant rosters or simple inputs?

An ARpg brawler would be fun and you could use it as an excuse to go running across eras.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

they're never gonna do wild west as a sentai theme aside from a one off ranger like Starninger.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How about a ranger team that's all Kamen riders

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
All Girl Squad when?

The lone guy can be super fan-servicey.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Give me a sentai comprised of the 93 missing Dekarangers.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

FilthyImp posted:

All Girl Squad when?

The lone guy can be super fan-servicey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDQ3oBAuJ-k

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm going to choose to be optimistic about the new Sentai for the sole reason that it looks like the morpher/collectible/role-play gimmick isn't integrated into the mecha. I think?

galagazombie posted:

At this point they need to just have a blanket moratorium on Dinosaurs and Ninja's. I know those things are popular with kids but it's getting to the point where they're just alternating between the two.

Wasn't there a baseball themed sentai that didn't quite make it to production? I want that one back.
Big bad is Bud Selig. Old wise character is Lou Piniella.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Make a Sentai about a team that for some reason is not in their native country. Still an entirely Japanese team, just fishes out of water.

New Zealanger

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Failson posted:

I'm going to choose to be optimistic about the new Sentai for the sole reason that it looks like the morpher/collectible/role-play gimmick isn't integrated into the mecha. I think?

Wasn't there a baseball themed sentai that didn't quite make it to production? I want that one back.
Big bad is Bud Selig. Old wise character is Lou Piniella.

That was Dynaman. Their uniforms were obviously from the baseball days. Very athletic.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
If not for Ex-Aid still being somewhat recent, a Video Game themed sentai would work wonders.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Catch the monsters and use them as allies

This would be actually super rad though because it would give a reason for all those hotswappable robot pieces that get used a maximum of three times throughout the show.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Greek Mythology? Like the suits resemble hoplite's and all the individual mechs are the well-known creatures like a Pegasus, a Medusa, a Siren, etc. and they make a big Zeus megazord with a lightning bolt sword.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Greek Mythology? Like the suits resemble hoplite's and all the individual mechs are the well-known creatures like a Pegasus, a Medusa, a Siren, etc. and they make a big Zeus megazord with a lightning bolt sword.

Might hew a little too close to some of the stuff from Kyuranger but that's mostly because the constellations were Greek in origin anyways.

A Journey to the West themed Sentai. Goku Red, Sanzo Yellow, Hakkai Black(or Pink?), and Gojyo Blue. Maybe a fifth member based on the White Dragon Horse. Alternatively, a three-man team with Sanzo as the "Mentor."

Alt: A Chinese Zodiac themed Sentai with each member representing an element (Fire Red, Water Blue, Metal Black, Wood Green, Earth Yellow) and the mecha and gear being Zodiac animals. Edit: Also does hew a little too close to Kyuranger, but not as much. It does evoke themes of Gekiranger, Dairanger and even Shinkenger, but they're distant enough that it's fair game to retread. Because it's all Chinese based it does demand a return to kung fu style sort of fights.

double edit: For more traditional Japanese, just go with Youkai. The members are Priests/Priestesses and then an Onmyouji as the sixth. Enemies are either banished or transformed into gear to help the team including mecha.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 12, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A doctor
A dentist
A surgeon
A nurse
A physical therapist

Mentor - brusque administrator

Sixth ranger - Anesthesiologist

Villain group - Alternative medicine

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
But what if the villain was video games and Blue spent the entire series calling Red "intern"?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Craigslist Seattle

Looking for an exciting internship? Apply within!

SGSoft Seattle is looking for you! Are you perternaturally skilled at video games? Do you dream of exploring ancient ruins and unlocking secrets? Are you okay with wearing a bright uniform in a single colour at all times?

Come by our kiosk at Seattle General Hospital for a free, non-invasive compatibility test.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Caphi posted:

But what if the villain was video games and Blue spent the entire series calling Red "intern"?
Can we add some kinda jerky dude in a gaudy shirt? I think it will help with the audience appeal to have a dreamboat in the show and you can just make him ride people around or whatever.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

A pediatrician
A radiologist
A surgeon
A coroner
A nurse

Mentor - head doctor of hospital

Sixth ranger - Pro Gamer

Villain group - video game developer

ftfy

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

A doctor
A dentist
A surgeon
A nurse
A physical therapist

Mentor - brusque administrator

Sixth ranger - Anesthesiologist

Villain group - Alternative medicine

The only way this would work is if you did something really crazy, like make the villains a mutated strain of the Y2K virus that can only be cured by being really good at video games.

Nah, that would never work.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The most impressive part of this gag is the implication that Nico ever did anything, let alone anything sixth-ranger cool.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

The sixth for Kamen Sentai Ex-Aidger is obviously GOD KING KUROTO DAN, who starts off an antagonist but ultimately joins the teams' fiery heart of justice to save world peace and also the smiles of children.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Come on Hasbro, you COWARDS, bring us Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon S.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Xelkelvos posted:

That there wasn't one for Gokaiger seemed like a missed opportunity. While there'd be a metric fuckton of rangers, most of them would be pallette swaps of the same more member with maybe a hitbox and value change based on weapon and body type.

I think something like MegaMan ZX would work for Gokaiger.

Collect ranger keys, able to pull up a rotating menu to switch them. They'd all basically be the same though, just reskinned swords and blasters. But I would play the absolute poo poo out of it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A for effort, F- for actual mecha.

But thanks for the memories. I think I used to watch the fansubs for this in college and I forgot how pitch perfect the casting was for a few of those girls.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

galagazombie posted:

Greek Mythology?
Could they have their powers be activated by skin-embellished markings, on pre-adults, while combatting extraterrestrials from their posh wealth-enclave?

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

FilthyImp posted:

Could they have their powers be activated by skin-embellished markings, on pre-adults, while combatting extraterrestrials from their posh wealth-enclave?

I get it

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

FilthyImp posted:

A for effort, F- for actual mecha.

But thanks for the memories. I think I used to watch the fansubs for this in college and I forgot how pitch perfect the casting was for a few of those girls.

The special effects were cheesy even by toku standards and more often than not the actors barely touched each other during combat but it was still decent and probably my second favorite version of the first arc of that series behind the 90's anime. I honestly wouldn't mind that getting another season one day (though you'd probably have to recast most of the leads by this point).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 14, 2018

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

FilthyImp posted:

Sonofabitch I had buried that memory and now it's back.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Welp, the whole Sunday/Wednesday idea didn't pan out, so I'm returning to Friday/Sunday. And since I'm feeling generous, today's episode comes early.

Today on Power Rangers, we get a new set of car boys.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 14, 2018

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
LizWiz, did you cut anything out for the gag or is the explanation in the episode actually "Cassie knows karate because she's Asian"?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I haven't even watched it yet but I remember vividly TJ asks "You know karate?" and Cassie literally just says "My ancestors invented it"

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yeah, to be fair it's not the SHOW'S explanation but rather Cassie's explanation, which can probably just be taken as sass.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well I mean, the character Cassie didn't write the show

Edit: if she did she should not be allowed to have a dog

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well I mean, the character Cassie didn't write the show

She didn't, but what I'm driving at is that Cassie's line should be taken less as a means to establish a backstory and more as a dumb joke she said.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Cassie's the best you guys!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sassie.