Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shaggar posted:

she might see an ad for diapers on tv so we shouldn't limit this advertising ban to the internet.

agreed, behead all advertisers in the public square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Shaggar posted:

she might see an ad for diapers on tv so we shouldn't limit this advertising ban to the internet.

shaggar was right

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol at elvis being included among the representatives of the cultures and religions of the world

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

yeah, you could definitely ask the entire online advertising industry to just stop, wholesale. i mean, there's a predictable response to that, but you could ask.

i mean, i could ask, by way of my government, and they could refuse. but even though my government has a really rather lovely army i don't think the ad industry has even a single fighter jet

it is not at all an easy thing to do, but the eu has started and it is something one can work on. there is no fundamental reason why the ad industry should get to build models of individual people.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

infernal machines posted:

yeah, you could definitely ask the entire online advertising industry to just stop, wholesale. i mean, there's a predictable response to that, but you could ask.

otoh that's not what she was saying, she seemed to expect them to be able to anticipate and respond to a situation like this and they literally cannot, and the state of the art is such that they will not be able to any time in the foreseeable future either.

amazon can't even figure out that after i looked at a buncha toasters and then bought one that now i am no longer in the market for a toaster

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

amazon can't even figure out that after i looked at a buncha toasters and then bought one that now i am no longer in the market for a toaster

you'd think they could get this right; like surely if you bought a shiny new toaster it'd be greater value to show you ads for a shiny new microwave or coffee maker or something?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

showing ads is violence

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i understand why adtech is bad at a lot of things but this is the one that continues to confound me. how are they unable to know you bought the thing and not start servings ads for the next things you might want based on what you bought

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the one thing that nobody is willing to do is not show any kind of ad when there's nothing good to show

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

my girlfriend got a bunch of recommendations for baby stuff after buying a menstrual cup

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Enderzero posted:

i understand why adtech is bad at a lot of things but this is the one that continues to confound me. how are they unable to know you bought the thing and not start servings ads for the next things you might want based on what you bought

because its intentional, it's a farce to give good reports. why do you need to tell your Cuisinart client that you've spent their money showing ad 5000 people that just bought a toaster when you can instead say you showed 50,000 people that looked at a toaster and look thats good metric! the more obsfucation and more displays the better

also

qirex posted:

the one thing that nobody is willing to do is not show any kind of ad when there's nothing good to show

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Endless Mike posted:

my girlfriend got a bunch of recommendations for baby stuff after buying a menstrual cup

lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Endless Mike posted:

WE NOTICED YOU WERE A WOMAN, AND THUS YOU WILL BE HAVING KIDS, RIGHT? WE ARE SO SMART

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Enderzero posted:

like you can even classify things based on "durable goods", I'm sure that's already stored somewhere, and just not show people durable goods of the same kind if they just bought one, it seems incredibly simple and I feel like we're either missing something (maybe people do buy a second toaster often enough to make it worthwhile???) or amazon is staffed by tens of thousands of complete morons

i wonder which it is :thunk:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
FERTILITY DETECTED... SENDING AD:ins:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

actually now that i'm thinking about it, when i went in to buy my car they tried to sell me a second car so maybe it's just one of those cargo-cult Marketing Things that nobody questions? if someone does it once ever that's just clear evidence that it works and you're MISSING SALES if you don't do it!!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
hell, youtube intentionally recommends videos to you that you've already watched

i wouldn't be at all surprised that some nonzero number of people are buying multiple toasters or returning them in favor of a different one and that this ad behavior is intentional in order to capture some tiny minority of sales

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

qirex posted:

i want to thank whoever it was itt that suggested blocking every advertiser you see on twitter because eventually you start getting absurd poo poo. last night i got an ad for some kid’s graduation photos in kentucky and an ad entirely in arabic from the saudi hiking foundation

it’s great

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
i get all kindsa ads from bizarre silicon valley businesses offering inscrutable services now

there appears to be an endless supply of them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rex-Goliath posted:

i want to thank whoever it was itt that suggested blocking every advertiser you see on twitter because eventually you start getting absurd poo poo. last night i got an ad for some kid’s graduation photos in kentucky and an ad entirely in arabic from the saudi hiking foundation

it’s great

there's a blocklist that blocks all the S&P 500 companies' accounts or something that was going around a while ago, idk where to find it though (and would appreciate it if someone links it :v:)

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hell, youtube intentionally recommends videos to you that you've already watched

doing this makes sense for music videos or comedy clips or other videos that people are likely to want to watch again

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/mspowahs/status/1072921324987736067

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

doing this makes sense for music videos or comedy clips or other videos that people are likely to want to watch again

yeah i will admit sometimes if i see a video i've seen (but haven't seen for a while) and remember liking a lot, sometimes i'll click it and re-watch it :shrug:

probably wouldn't buy my favorite toaster over again though

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gently caress i'd start with gender > 1.3

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

actually now that i'm thinking about it, when i went in to buy my car they tried to sell me a second car so maybe it's just one of those cargo-cult Marketing Things that nobody questions? if someone does it once ever that's just clear evidence that it works and you're MISSING SALES if you don't do it!!!

did you buy a dodge. they were definitely selling cars buy one get one for a bit there to clear inventory.

the problem was that instead of getting one bad car, you get two bad cars.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

she's likely under 55 years of age and thus probably won't see an ad for diapers on broadcast tv because nobody under that age sits down and watches realtime broadcast television. It's not really a good comparison

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also those would be adult diapers not baby diapers

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Xaris posted:

because its intentional, it's a farce to give good reports. why do you need to tell your Cuisinart client that you've spent their money showing ad 5000 people that just bought a toaster when you can instead say you showed 50,000 people that looked at a toaster and look thats good metric! the more obsfucation and more displays the better

also

oh poo poo, i think i get it now. i was thinking, they fuckin love CONVERSIONS, and thus how could it be better to show an ad to someone who already bought something when instead, if someone bought a bike, amazon could show ads for helmets and bike lights and tire pumps and poo poo people would reasonably need, but the first company doesnt give a gently caress about the second company making a sale based off purchase of the first thing - but they probably do care that their ad was showed to a bunch of people (ignore that a bunch of them have left the funnel dont look back there). does that track because i can't imagine any other reason why companies wouldnt want to boost incremental revenue

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

did you buy a dodge. they were definitely selling cars buy one get one for a bit there to clear inventory.

the problem was that instead of getting one bad car, you get two bad cars.

nah a nissan, he saw my wife was with me and launched into WHY SHARE ONE CAR WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE AWAY WITH TWO RIGHT NOW!!!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shame Boy posted:

nah a nissan, he saw my wife was with me and launched into WHY SHARE ONE CAR WHEN YOU CAN DRIVE AWAY WITH TWO RIGHT NOW!!!

the thing is that this actually works

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i'm just pulling it out of my rear end but the reason amazon probably likes to show you things you've already purchased is because their system is not designed to factor in items you've already purchased probably for some reason of tractability and it not being enough of a high priority issue

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

it absolutely is. buy a keyboard on amazon and enjoy constant suggestions for buying more and more keyboards because oh boy you sure must love typing

mystes
May 31, 2006

lancemantis posted:

i'm just pulling it out of my rear end but the reason amazon probably likes to show you things you've already purchased is because their website is absolutely terrible

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Chalks posted:

it absolutely is. buy a keyboard on amazon and enjoy constant suggestions for buying more and more keyboards because oh boy you sure must love typing

thats why i just subscribe and save and get a fresh 'board every 3 months

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

we crave lower taxes
oh?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Plank Walker posted:

thats why i just subscribe and save and get a fresh 'board every 3 months

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Enderzero posted:

oh poo poo, i think i get it now. i was thinking, they fuckin love CONVERSIONS, and thus how could it be better to show an ad to someone who already bought something when instead, if someone bought a bike, amazon could show ads for helmets and bike lights and tire pumps and poo poo people would reasonably need, but the first company doesnt give a gently caress about the second company making a sale based off purchase of the first thing - but they probably do care that their ad was showed to a bunch of people (ignore that a bunch of them have left the funnel dont look back there). does that track because i can't imagine any other reason why companies wouldnt want to boost incremental revenue
yep bingo

adtech n ad companies want just enough tracking to be able to tell ford that they're totes showing lots of people lots of ads (any publicity is good publicity idiot idiom), and if the numbers dont look good then they want just enough vague data that can be made up because metrics arent precise enough to audit, and ad-buyers like Ford or cuissinart want to be told that they're totes being given to ###### "targetted" users and look how good the shareholders and ur boss will be pleased and no one peeks under the rug.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
i always found nerds sperging about keyboards to be a great example of how people will run around fiddling with things they have control over to avoid addressing the crushing things they have no control over

like the entire management chain puts us in crunch mode constantly, but hey I get to use Dvorak!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What is the point of owning multiple keyboards when you can just own the lord's keyboard i.e. the pok3r? This person apparently has 2.