Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm supposed to get a call about a new jerb today so, finger's crossed.

Honestly I might be overreacting, it's more like gently caress-The-Last-Four-Weeks.

1. Lost the shop.
2. Lost the 2 post lift.
3. Got rear-ended 2 weeks after geting my first ever brand new car.
4. Was given an ultimatum by my boss to move closer or find another job.
5. Had to pay to replace the windshield on my rental.
6. Got called in to interview for a job only to find out at the start of the interview the position had been filled.
7. Was told the front bumper for the car is cracked and so far it's looking like I'll be paying for it.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My employer just got two new contracts. One in defense, one in aerospace. My department will be making material for one of them and we all have to be interviewed by the NSA or something.

I hope they don't take that line about me being a pyro when I was 15 seriously.

we won't actually know what the material application is going towards, this is just standard procedure

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Fermented Tinal posted:

Last straw, really. My year was ruined due to a multitude of reasons.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Honestly I might be overreacting, it's more like gently caress-The-Last-Four-Weeks.

1. Lost the shop.
2. Lost the 2 post lift.
6. Got called in to interview for a job only to find out at the start of the interview the position had been filled.
7. Was told the front bumper for the car is cracked and so far it's looking like I'll be paying for it.

Yeah that sucks man, but you'll bounce back. If you're healthy you've got that and can always make more money :)

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Applebees Appetizer posted:

It's just a car dude, if that seriously ruined your year you need some perspective

-edit

Resolved

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Fermented Tinal posted:

Finally got the estimate for the damage to the Forte yesterday, almost a month after the accident. I bitched about it in Slack, but for the rest of you here's what's up.

$11k in damage, $13k after taxes, appraiser valued it at $6k over sticker price or $3k more than the grand total on my bill-of-sale. While I did get a little bit of a discount because my brother sold it to me, it's a base model compact, my screaming good deal was a savings of a couple hundred bucks. I can't find a base model manual Forte being sold for even remotely close to that valuation anywhere, let alone with 3,300km on the clock.

Also the front bumper is now cracked on the right side. The shop won't take responsibility for it and from the pictures in the estimate there is no indication of front-end damage when the appraiser looked at it. I sure as poo poo hadn't had a chance to mount a curb or bump a snowbank with my two-week-old car before I got rear-ended.

I'm saying it.

gently caress 2018.

So, OK, I'm having trouble parsing this. Are you saying that the appraiser inflated the value of the car, presumably to make it more difficult to total, despite the high cost of repairing it?
That's hosed, and you can fight back on that, basically like property tax valuations. Ask them to show you where the numbers came from. Also, claim the front bumper on the insurance and make *them* argue with the body shop. Not your job.

Oh, and gently caress your boss for that ultimatum. He can't demand that. My answer will always be "I'll find a new job, dickbag". Or better still, demand that he either pay you more to compensate for the commute, or move the company, or you'll make him find a new employee.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Powershift posted:

Also, get you someone who looks at you like Scotto looks at Ken Block.

A love like that does not exist in this realm.

Fermented Tinal posted:

1. Lost the shop.
2. Lost the 2 post lift.

That is a rough go. I am fortunate to not have had any accidents for a looong time, but I feel like there are some insurance companies where they say "Well we will give you X" and you can turn around and tell them instead of cutting a check just replace the car with a similar car. I ended up getting ~30% more for my old Accord when it got totaled 10+ years ago when the insurance company gave me the initial offer and I said no, you couldn't replace the car for that much. They did a market analysis and came back to basically say they couldn't find another car like mine within a few states (mileage/year/options) so they gave me more money.

Car accidents are literally the worst. Whether at-fault or not they always cost money out of pocket.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

I forgot to note that I had a '79 or '80 RX-7 pull up to me at a stop sign in my neighborhood this morning. Now I need to walk or bike around to figure out where my rotary buddy lives and introduce myself. It appeared to be stock, aside from the cheap muffler-shop muffler (that was probably strangling the poor thing.)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yeah that is the dumbest poo poo, creating problems that aren't there. I work with two guys with hell commutes.

One loves where he lives, way out in the boonies, and his house is fully paid off. So he commutes 130 miles each way. He carpools with his wife so they have almost 2 hours in the morning and evening to hang out and listen to audiobooks or whatever. I couldn't do it, but it works for them. Dude has 4 or 5 beater cars and just makes sure that one of them is always reliable.

The other guy is fresh out of college, so he never learned to drive. He gets up at 5 AM and ubers to the closest bus stop, then rides a bus for over an hour. Every day.

Both are great workers and only once in a while do their commutes impact their work. It's no big deal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah my wife has a long commute that depends on a busy bridge across Tampa Bay, so if there's an accident she's hours late. I suppose her employer could bitch about it but they love her and are just like whatever, you get here when you do so that's nice.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah that is the dumbest poo poo, creating problems that aren't there. I work with two guys with hell commutes.

One loves where he lives, way out in the boonies, and his house is fully paid off. So he commutes 130 miles each way. He carpools with his wife so they have almost 2 hours in the morning and evening to hang out and listen to audiobooks or whatever. I couldn't do it, but it works for them. Dude has 4 or 5 beater cars and just makes sure that one of them is always reliable.

The other guy is fresh out of college, so he never learned to drive. He gets up at 5 AM and ubers to the closest bus stop, then rides a bus for over an hour. Every day.

Both are great workers and only once in a while do their commutes impact their work. It's no big deal.

Mine is 164km each way, similar situation as the first guy except no SO and I don't generally listen to anything except road noise.

E: Some slight good news, insurance company now thinks the shop damaged the bumper after examining the pictures the shops sent and comparing them to the estimate's pictures.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ooof, a 130 mile commute each way would be killer, the fuel costs alone are probably crazy.

I'm spoiled with an 8 minute commute, only sucks in winter because none of my cars warm up on such a short drive. Not a bad trade off as it means I don't have to spend time in traffic and I can go home and cook a hot lunch daily.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fermented Tinal posted:

Last straw, really. My year was ruined due to a multitude of reasons.

This was pretty much how 2016 ended for me. Rear ended while stopped behind a sheriff's deputy with his lights going by a college-age girl who confessed she was texting while driving.

Losing the car wasn't really that big of a deal on its own, it was getting jerked around by her insurance for the better part of three months and coming out of the situation at a net loss between what they'd agree the pre-crash value of the car was, and their blanket refusal to reimburse me for the rental car I was forced to get before they'd admit fault in the accident. I was pretty much ready to just tell the adjuster to cut me a check for the scrap value of the car because that was all he was seemingly willing to pay - their initial offer came in at about 25% of the car's actual value because he valuated it based on similar vehicles with twice the mileage and half the options, and it would probably have been easier to get a toddler to eat vegetables than it was to get him to re-do the valuation.

Having gone through the process, if it ever happens again I'm just going to find a lawyer and sue the at-fault party because that's the only way you can get an auto insurer to do anything apparently.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 12, 2018

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So I said I don't normally listen to anything other than the car while driving. I finally signed up for Spotify and was listening on my way down today.

Right as Highway 10 turned into the 410, Highway to Hell comes on. This was followed by Stairway to Heaven which ended right as I'm pulling into the parking lot and followed The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

poo poo's about to get way worse for me, isn't it. :smith:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

freelop posted:

Got to try my first ever gone brewed beer yesterday.

As I feared it got contaminated a little with the cleaning fluid but it's still not the worst I've had

Do you mean home brewed? I'm far from an expert on the topic, but any "cleaning fluid" you're using shouldn't contaminate your beer. PBW for cleaning, and Star San for sanitizing, and you don't even have to rinse the Star San.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
What insurance offers and what you accept are two totally different things. They assume most people will just say OK. Be the greasy wheel.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

T-Square posted:

Do you mean home brewed? I'm far from an expert on the topic, but any "cleaning fluid" you're using shouldn't contaminate your beer. PBW for cleaning, and Star San for sanitizing, and you don't even have to rinse the Star San.

I did - autocorrect issues
It was no rinse stuff so maybe I just buggered it up instead

mewse
May 2, 2006

freelop posted:

I did - autocorrect issues
It was no rinse stuff so maybe I just buggered it up instead

There are lists of off flavors that you could run thru, may have been caused by a common mistake

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

everdave posted:

What insurance offers and what you accept are two totally different things. They assume most people will just say OK. Be the greasy wheel.

Squeaky wheel. Be the squeaky wheel. Don't take a lowball offer. Insurance companies are famous for that. They have literally nothing to lose on their side by throwing lowballs out.

I would eat a bullet if I had to drive anything near a 100 miles for a commute. :suicide: Jesus

15 minutes on a bad day. At home eating lunch right now.

As an employer, I really don't give a poo poo how far away you live as long as you get to work on time and doesn't impact your job. If you are continually late though, please have the courtesy of leaving home a little earlier to rectify it though - but that's common sense. I'd far rather you are at work 10 minutes early than 10 minutes late every day, hell, you could probably leave early 9 times out of 10 to make it work out.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
100 miles is nuts. I'm going from 15 minutes to 45-60 minutes starting next month, which is going to suck.

Buuuut it's since I'm moving back home to Vancouver, which means I'll finally be free of the crippling loneliness that comes from living in the geriatric containment zone known as Victoria.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Kazinsal posted:

Buuuut it's since I'm moving back home to Vancouver, which means I'll finally be free of the crippling loneliness that comes from living in the geriatric containment zone known as Victoria.

I didn't realize we had billionaires among us :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

Squeaky wheel. Be the squeaky wheel. Don't take a lowball offer. Insurance companies are famous for that. They have literally nothing to lose on their side by throwing lowballs out.

If you're able to sit them out financially, sure. If not it's not that easy, especially when the adjusters, the adjusters' bosses and their bosses all stop returning your calls after making their "final offer."

In my case we were very fortunate that my wife worked at the time in an office less than a mile from home and started work an hour before I did, and her office was on my way to work allowing us to function for an extended period as a single-vehicle household (they revoked the rental reimbursement after making their first lowball offer.) Otherwise I would have had to accept their lowball offer or hire an attorney and hope for a better outcome in court.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 12, 2018

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Last time I got screwed when a lady blew a stop sign and totaled my car. They pinned 15% of it on me because I wasn't using "caution" in the intersection where I had no stop sign and the right of way. I immediately called the sleaziest ambulance chaser law firm I could find and sued them. Got another 3 grand. They marked stuff down on my car like the tires with less than 1000 miles on them as 60% used. gently caress it if that makes rates higher since I lost a ton of money and labor that I put into that car. Also that lawsuit is finally settled so I'll see if I can find my dash cam video.

The lady said she didn't know I didnt have to stop. If there were only some huge yellow sign with that information on it right there. Maybe she would have seen it if she stopped all the way.

I'm still mad about it. That was a wicked nice one owner car that I loved.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
That gen of Forester is so much cooler than the current stuff they make.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ether Frenzy posted:

Agreed. My modded XT was cartoonishly fast.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Kazinsal posted:

If any AI goons are in Victoria BC over Christmas want to meet with an rear end in a top hat Aussie I'm up for it.

The Canadian Girl met my family last month, now I get to meet hers. And I spend my second NYE's in Canada.

quote:

MY04 XT legit the best crossover of all time. gently caress that thing was hilariously fast

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Saw an old forester earlier today, slammed with a "floorester" badge. Chuckled.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Honestly, it's none of my boss' goddamn business how far away I live or how long my commute is as long as I am on time for work.

In fact, I am the only person who is routinely on time, my boss himself is usually opening the store 30-40 minutes after our posted hours. I do struggle with being at our Toronto store on time on Saturdays, but it's an extra 30 minutes of driving each way and that's assuming the Gardiner isn't a parking lot, which it usually is.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 12, 2018

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

That's why I'm still mad. That car was just sick fast and pretty stock except an exhaust and I touched up the tune a little. I look at other ones sometimes but it'll never be the same as the first time.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

shy boy from chess club posted:

That's why I'm still mad. That car was just sick fast and pretty stock except an exhaust and I touched up the tune a little. I look at other ones sometimes but it'll never be the same as the first time.

Same but for my first lover.

mewse
May 2, 2006

shy boy from chess club posted:

The lady said she didn't know I didnt have to stop. If there were only some huge yellow sign with that information on it right there. Maybe she would have seen it if she stopped all the way.

"I thought it was a four way stop because not only did the sign NOT say it was a 4 way stop, the sign said it was NOT a 4 way stop"

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

spog posted:

Same but for my first lover.

I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing with my first fast car, either.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

mewse posted:

"I thought it was a four way stop because not only did the sign NOT say it was a 4 way stop, the sign said it was NOT a 4 way stop"

Leaving Costco once some lady blew through a stop sign and almost t-boned me. She meekly said "sorry, I couldn't see you coming."

Well no poo poo, the corner of the building blocks your view of oncoming traffic - that's why they put a stop sign there.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

slidebite posted:

As an employer, I really don't give a poo poo how far away you live as long as you get to work on time and doesn't impact your job. If you are continually late though, please have the courtesy of leaving home a little earlier to rectify it though - but that's common sense. I'd far rather you are at work 10 minutes early than 10 minutes late every day, hell, you could probably leave early 9 times out of 10 to make it work out.

When you're at the mercy of erratic traffic issues tho it's hard to be consistent. It's a unique situation here tho, if you're commuting across tampa bay from st.pete to tampa or vice versa most employers give you leeway because you have no control over accidents shutting the bridges down for hours.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Whenever I am held up by traffic, I call my boss and tell him I'm gonna be late.

I'm the only employee who will notify my boss in advance if I am gonna be late.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Fermented Tinal posted:

Whenever I am held up by traffic, I call my boss and tell him I'm gonna be late.

I'm the only employee who will notify my boss in advance if I am gonna be late.

Things like this are so basic and I can’t believe so many people are incapable of them

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I got a call for an interview tomorrow morning. Person wanted to meet around 10, I had to explain to them it needed to be earlier than that because I have to leave for work at 9:40 to be there on time because I think it's important.

They agreed to interview me at 8am instead.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why has no one told me about Sour beers before? WHY?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Because they're poo poo, IMO. They're the new hotness in the craft beer world though.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Suburban Dad posted:

Because they're poo poo, IMO. They're the new hotness in the craft beer world though.

Jack's Abby's Cranberry Berliner would like a word with you, young man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The only sour beers worth drinking come from Belgium.

A nice geuze lambic is practically champagne in beer form.