Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Hmm. I have a nephew with autism. Not so bad he can't be unsupervised sometimes, but bad enough he is probably unemployable and unable to financially support himself. His mom and dad are both likely to die before me, being eight years older.

Theoretically I should be the responsible caretaker but I doubt when my sister dies and I am in my late sixties I'll have the means or ability to take care of an autistic man in his late forties.

This seems like a conversation you should have with your sister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Love it when I almost cry at work after reading the news about SE Asian refugees being eligible to be deported.

Let me tell you 'bout your blood bamboo kid
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Love it when I almost cry at work after reading the news about SE Asian refugees being eligible to be deported.

Not just any refugees, but refugees from a war that we exacerbated and refugees that fought alongside the US in that war.

e: I guess refugees from a war or situation that we exacerbated isn't too uncommon.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

kidkissinger posted:

Let me tell you 'bout your blood bamboo kid
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice

I love you

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it is tiring thinking "but that's illegal" every time they do something illegal but at least the courts should strike down this most recent profanity.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

blunt posted:

Reminder that Piers Morgan allegedly hacked, among others, a dead girl's phone.

He'll fit right in.

he also hosed a pig.*

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

Pillbug

PhazonLink posted:

he also hosed a pig.*

I thought that was David Cameron.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Get him signed up for your state's support system NOW and with any luck by the time the rest of the family dies the support system will still exist.

FTFY

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Squalid posted:

Eh, you can kind of create measures of fitness in a specific context but when it comes to nature you kind of have o throw your hands up and say “past performance is not indicative of future results.”

Saying "evolution is survival of the fittest" then trying to declare figs or snails or humans or bacteria "the fittest" is missing the point by a mile and is a good way to explain evolution very wrongly to people so they don't get it and think it sounds fake.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah survival of the fittest means only the sexiest animals survive.

darwin was english after all.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fitness meant most able to adapt to a changing environment, not your buff uncle and his gunshow

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah survival of the fittest means only the sexiest animals survive.

darwin was english after all.

Darwin was really into carnivorous plants, because of how they blurred the lines.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

Fitness meant most able to adapt to a changing environment, not your buff uncle and his gunshow
What if my buff uncle and his gunshow are also really resourceful, smart guy?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1072945944222670848

:allears:

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Teresa May:
200 yes - 117 no

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i hope people remember me as a champion quarterback in the national football league and an international movie star

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
It's BritPol but it looks like May survived the "no-confidence" vote, 200 to 117.

EFB

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Theresa May wins.

It's not a great margin for her.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

marshmonkey posted:

Teresa May:
200 yes - 117 no

If the question: "Do you have confidence" , or "affirm no confidence"

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Well to be fair, she is pretty transparent about how honest she is.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

If the question: "Do you have confidence" , or "affirm no confidence"

117 votes for no confidence, she remains PM

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

evilweasel posted:

i hope people remember me as a champion quarterback in the national football league and an international movie star

Unfortunately, they'll only remember that time you horribly embarrassed yourself in middle school

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
That votes is solely of people in her party, it doesn't include the opposition

With how slim the majority is, if even like 10% of them vote against the Brexit deal, it would be sunk

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Whoops.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Crow Jane posted:

Unfortunately, they'll only remember that time you horribly embarrassed yourself in middle school

Yeah, Tickleshits

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Crow Jane posted:

thank god they only remember one!

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
Story time! When I was in my teens, I was in the boy scouts, and one of the adult leaders was a guy named Mr. Tran. Really nice guy, really generous, and I still remember when he took my patrol out to the local airport to teach the Aviation merit badge.

Sometime later in college, I'm volunteering at a local aviation museum, and one of the exhibits has a gimmick where Vietnam veterans can write their name on a sandbag. Well, imagine my surprise when I see Mr. Tran's name on there. I confirmed with his son later, and learned that he'd been an A-37 Dragonfly pilot for the VNAF who managed to escape to the US.

I'm not sure how to finish this so all I'm gonna say is that the very thought that he could be deported because of some xenophobic motherfucker in the White House who has never sacrificed anything for this country or any other is, without question, one of the most disgusting things imaginable.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Margaret Thatcher won her vote too

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Glumslinger posted:

With how slim the majority is, if even like 10% of them vote against the Brexit deal, it would be sunk

it also pretty much matches the reports she was going to lose the brexit vote by a hundred votes

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Corbyn will probably wait until either a deal is struck or the no deal brexit happens before he pushes for an actual NC vote, you really want the tories to be solely to blame for this.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Seems like our two nations could solve both of our problems if the Brits just sucked it up and entered the union as several new states. We'd get more non GOP Senators and EC points, you'd get a solution to Brexit that doesn't require you to crawl back to the EU with your tail between your legs or run out of food.

e: even if it didn't work, the two dumbest electorates on earth would be quarantined in one nation

ee: Even your conservatives would win, as they'd get the joy of running of empire once more

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 12, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, really the only objective measure of "fitness" in an evolutionary context would be overall reproductive success, in which case bacteriophage have every other organism beat by several orders of magnitude. It's a silly descriptor, but fine if you don't over-fit your worldview to it

yeah, and notice this compares fitness between individuals, rather than between species as InsertPotPun was doing.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Saying "evolution is survival of the fittest" then trying to declare figs or snails or humans or bacteria "the fittest" is missing the point by a mile and is a good way to explain evolution very wrongly to people so they don't get it and think it sounds fake.

Right. All organisms alive today are in a sense equally fit: each one represents a legacy that has survived on this earth for 3+ billion years. Is a species that evolves, reproduces into trillions of individuals and billions of tons of biomass, and then goes extinct in a mere 10 million years, more or less fit than another than never tops 3,000 individuals and a ton of biomass but survives for 100 million years? The question makes no sense, even if we had a definition of fitness whereby we could answer the question, that answer would be meaningless and indicate nothing about the organisms and processes involved.

By contrast if you are interested in predicting changes in the species make up and proportion of biomass within a specific field over a ten year study, then you can start quantifying a measure of fitness that makes sense in that context.

Squalid fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 12, 2018

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

marshmonkey posted:

Teresa May:
200 yes - 117 no

People were expecting ~80 in the UKPOL thread so that's a significant margin

There is speculation that Corbyn can call a no confidence vote on the government and succeed, maybe

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Aren't PMs chosen by a majority vote of all of parliament, not just the majority coalition? Feels weird that they hold onto the job by having the support of the majority of the majority, rather than enough of the majority to be 51% of all of parliament.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Similarly, I hope to be remembered as 'buffer than Schwarzenegger'

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

evilweasel posted:

thank god they only remember one!

Everybody remembers a different one, and then at your funeral they all compare stories

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

marshmonkey posted:

Teresa May:
200 yes - 117 no

i don't understand how she's not out on her rear end when a third of her caucus wants her gone. boehner was forced to retire when only 20 or so republicans in congress went against him.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Story time! When I was in my teens, I was in the boy scouts, and one of the adult leaders was a guy named Mr. Tran. Really nice guy, really generous, and I still remember when he took my patrol out to the local airport to teach the Aviation merit badge.

Sometime later in college, I'm volunteering at a local aviation museum, and one of the exhibits has a gimmick where Vietnam veterans can write their name on a sandbag. Well, imagine my surprise when I see Mr. Tran's name on there. I confirmed with his son later, and learned that he'd been an A-37 Dragonfly pilot for the VNAF who managed to escape to the US.

I'm not sure how to finish this so all I'm gonna say is that the very thought that he could be deported because of some xenophobic motherfucker in the White House who has never sacrificed anything for this country or any other is, without question, one of the most disgusting things imaginable.

yeah this vietnam stuff is extra hosed up because i think it would pretty much only cover the political refugees from after south vietnam fell.

it's purposefully being a dick to people who sided with us decades later. it's so loving stupid.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I hope I’m remembered as a good poster

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1072954250832035840

Love me!

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

axeil posted:

it's purposefully being a dick to people who sided with us decades later. it's so loving stupid.

Who even wants them gone? Like who is their presence affecting, besides their own families?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Who even wants them gone? Like who is their presence affecting, besides their own families?

None of these policies are based on reason. The cruelty and racism is the point.