Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It’s also a good way to make sure whoever has to take your call hates you and does the bare minimum possible to help you.

I admittedly ran into this last week. I was trying to reach a logistics company for three days.

First day I tried to go through the operator and it set me on hold for about 5 minutes then said "Goodbye" and hung up. So I called back and left a voicemail with brokerage and ltl dispatch.

Day 2 the number sent me to a voicemail that said "This voicemail cannot receive messages. Goodbye" and hung up. Calling back their system apparently redirected me to a different location where the guy assured me he was going to get to the bottom of it and figure out who I needed to reach to get this freight moving. He never calls back.

Day 3 Ltl dispatch still gets me to a voicemail. I leave another and call back later trying brokerage because maybe a person can get me where I need to be. The woman says she can't help me but will send me to the voicemail of someone who can because LTL isn't her job. I refuse because I've left this person multiple voicemails and I really want this freight to move. She bounces me to this other guy that tells me I've been calling the wrong location and gives me a new number to call.

I call the new number it answers and hangs up. I hit redial and get the same thing. Redial the third time gets me to a woman who answers and says "Logistics please hold" where I get to sit for 5 minutes getting progressively more pissed that I'm having to jump through these hoops. She comes back and apologizes for the delay and I complain about the number hanging up twice before getting put immediately on hold. Then I tell her I've been trying to get an LTL set up for three days now and have left multiple messages with multiple people and that I really just want this freight to move. She offers to put me in someones voicemail and they'll help me as soon as they're able. Apparently she didn't like my sarcastic "Yeah that sounds fine. I'll just add that to the list of people I'm waiting to hear back from." So she tells me to just find another carrier, calls me a dick, and hangs up.

That's when I go to my customer and tell her the story and she calls her customer and two days later I finally get a carrier in for this freight.

Tldr; I was a dick. Got called a dick. And fingers crossed someone got in trouble.

Edit: You can make some progress with automated trees by just yelling "PERSON" I think UPS is three times before it routes you to a call center in a foreign country.

Len has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Dec 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

purple death ray posted:

Whoa hey now I don't condone cruelty to wage slaves, just passing along a thing I heard at some point. Probably not even true and the guy was just trying to get people to cuss at a robot.

I wasn't speaking directly to you. Sorry if it came off that way.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Guys, when you have trouble with a robot you just say "PAK CHOOIE UNF". :colbert:

Hispanic! At The Disco has a new favorite as of 01:14 on Dec 12, 2018

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

purple death ray posted:

Whoa hey now I don't condone cruelty to wage slaves, just passing along a thing I heard at some point. Probably not even true and the guy was just trying to get people to cuss at a robot.

I highly suspect that a bunch of those 'robots' are wage slaves in overseas call centres that are silently listening in on the responses people give to the pre-recorded messages and manually entering into the system because some corporate "customer behaviorist" realised that if customers think they're talking to a robot then they immediately answer the questions without wasting time and they also don't get infuriated because the operators "sound foreign".

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When I worked for comcast we took New England area phone calls, and some old massachusetts dude insisted I didn’t sound american

E: I was born in TX, Chicago and french grandparents, fairly sure I sound american

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Dec 13, 2018

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When I worked for comcast we took New England area phone calls, and some old massachusetts dude insisted I didn’t sound american

:wrongcity:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
The companies do not want you to get to speak to a person and every time the methods of bypassing the robot system get too publicized they start changing. A lot of places no longer automatically reroute you if you press 0 or if you ask for a person or if you cuss, which I can only assume is because people found out that that worked and started doing it all the time to cheat and get to humans and the companies don't want to actually pay for staffing by humans so they shut down that poo poo down when it gets popular

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
Ryu's stage in Street Fighter 2 is set in the rooftops of old style Japanese buildings.

It's an image I grew up with, so I saw it before I even knew what those kinds of building were. I just saw two weird metal arms with a fence between them. The fence is the top of the slope of a roof, and the metal arms are the decorative edges of other roofs.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

InediblePenguin posted:

The companies do not want you to get to speak to a person and every time the methods of bypassing the robot system get too publicized they start changing. A lot of places no longer automatically reroute you if you press 0 or if you ask for a person or if you cuss, which I can only assume is because people found out that that worked and started doing it all the time to cheat and get to humans and the companies don't want to actually pay for staffing by humans so they shut down that poo poo down when it gets popular

Im sure the call center workers would at least appreciate removing swearing from the auto-human feature. If a person's angry enough to cuss out a robot just imagine what they're going to do when they can make a real-rear end person suffer.

Also the automatic transfer to a person usually isn't even that useful unless the voice recognition genuinely can't recognize you, since companies keep them so understaffedthat hold times are eternal and you'll get a shorter call time carefully enunciating keywords at a robot.

Acute Grill has a new favorite as of 21:52 on Dec 14, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Acute Grill posted:

Im sure the call center workers would at least appreciate removing swearing from the auto-human feature. If a person's angry enough to cuss out a robot just imagine what they're going to do when they can make a real-rear end person suffer.

Also the automatic transfer to a person usually isn't even that useful unless the voice recognition genuinely can't recognize you, since companies keep them so understaffedthat hold times are eternal and you'll get a shorter call time carefully enunciating keywords at a robot.

I can't honestly think of HOW to improve the system for call centre workers. Speaking mainly as a former comcast drone, no one calls when they're happy. They call when a service they're (over)paying for breaks. Yeah, occasionally it's some dumb bullshit like their cat knocked the TV over and broke it and now they can't watch their netflix, but mostly it's real issues. And with assholes like Comcast, us workers hate the company just as much. Like, we have to tell little old great-grannies that if they can't physically move their computer desk and then do a power cycle, they will be charged because it's "their problem." Even though, of course, they can't do that. And they'll almost certainly be the sweetest and best customer of the day for the tech that comes out and fixes it for them.

You can't blame the phone jockies for Comcast, nor can you blame the customer for being pissed at the lovely company.

Honestly my best memories are (second) getting to do conference calls with two or more other reps plus a customer, cuz eventually it would be the one rep with powers to do whatever talking one-on-one with the customer and the rest of us just shooting the poo poo over the phone in a conference until it got resolved, and (first) getting a snowflake millenial like me who knew how to whine, and hear my whining, without needing me to implicate myself in Anti-Comcast Talk.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:17 on Dec 14, 2018

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
As a somewhat technical person who has had to navigate the call tree/call center hell that is major corporate technical support, but also spends the majority of their day on the T3 support side of things, I know why it is there.

I get frustrated when it is the third time in a week I have to navigate the same bullshit gates just to get in contact with someone who has enough know-how and system access to say "actually yes, the problem is on our side."

Which I guess is to say, the way to improve the user experience of support networks for large companies is to add some sort of tracking to say "actually this is the X time this number has called in over the last week to try and get an issue resolved, maybe we should escalate this immediately"

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Greatbacon posted:

Which I guess is to say, the way to improve the user experience of support networks for large companies is to add some sort of tracking to say "actually this is the X time this number has called in over the last week to try and get an issue resolved, maybe we should escalate this immediately"

I'm unsure how this increases the company's bottom line

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

Greatbacon posted:

As a somewhat technical person who has had to navigate the call tree/call center hell that is major corporate technical support, but also spends the majority of their day on the T3 support side of things, I know why it is there.

I get frustrated when it is the third time in a week I have to navigate the same bullshit gates just to get in contact with someone who has enough know-how and system access to say "actually yes, the problem is on our side."

I used to work on some of the reporting at a call centre, and repeat call reasons were one of the things I had to look at. If someone is calling for the 8th time about their case, they're most likely to be chasing a repair service, or are a serial complainer. There's no easy way to distinguish your 'real' call from all the BS.

I hate difficult IVRs though, that's not the way to do it. Direct customers to the website with a short message, or put a quick explainer of something simple in there and you'll get rid of some of those calls.

Also pro-tip that a lot of people don't realise - you don't have to wait for the IVR to stop talking before choosing an option. Just give it a second to process your key press and press the next option straight away if you know it.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

EvilGenius posted:

Also pro-tip that a lot of people don't realise - you don't have to wait for the IVR to stop talking before choosing an option. Just give it a second to process your key press and press the next option straight away if you know it.

not always true but it usually doesn't mess anything up if it doesn't work so you can try it

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Josie and the Pussycats were not originally an all-black group.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

caesar in fallout: new vegas is voiced by Rawls from the wire

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Josie and the Pussycats were not originally an all-black group.

They were very nearly an all white group when the animated TV series was being created. Hanna Barbera asked a music label to put together a real life girl group based on the comicbook and produce some songs so the record producer found three girls who matched the comicbook characters and presented them to Hanna Barbera who then went "Ohhhhhh you got an African American .... we were planning on making them all white .... can we have a do over?" and the record producer went "gently caress no" and stood his ground. Hanna Barbera relented after a few weeks and agreed to not change the character's race, and that's how we got the first regularly appearing female African American character in Saturday morning cartoon series.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josie_and_the_Pussycats_(album)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought the same thing as the boyfriend in question
https://twitter.com/rosalyster/status/1074387858125934592?s=19

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I just figured out that the naughty/nice list thing for Christmas is just a softer version of the whole heaven/hell thing Christianity's got going.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Organza Quiz posted:

I just figured out that the naughty/nice list thing for Christmas is just a softer version of the whole heaven/hell thing Christianity's got going.

Also rich kids get more presents because they're better people.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Also rich kids get more presents because they're better people.

I have strong feelings about giving credit to Santa for bringing the expensive gifts. When I had a kid my fiancee is on board with the cheap things being from Santa and giving us credit for the expensive stuff.

I was from a spoiled house and an only so I got drat near anything I ever wanted for Christmas but not all kids are lucky and I just think it has to feel lovely to see people getting PlayStations/Xbox/Barbie dream home from Santa when you got a baseball glove and shoes that fit right and don't have holes in them.

/rant

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I can't honestly think of HOW to improve the system for call centre workers. Speaking mainly as a former comcast drone, no one calls when they're happy. They call when a service they're (over)paying for breaks. Yeah, occasionally it's some dumb bullshit like their cat knocked the TV over and broke it and now they can't watch their netflix, but mostly it's real issues. And with assholes like Comcast, us workers hate the company just as much. Like, we have to tell little old great-grannies that if they can't physically move their computer desk and then do a power cycle, they will be charged because it's "their problem." Even though, of course, they can't do that. And they'll almost certainly be the sweetest and best customer of the day for the tech that comes out and fixes it for them.

You can't blame the phone jockies for Comcast, nor can you blame the customer for being pissed at the lovely company.

Honestly my best memories are (second) getting to do conference calls with two or more other reps plus a customer, cuz eventually it would be the one rep with powers to do whatever talking one-on-one with the customer and the rest of us just shooting the poo poo over the phone in a conference until it got resolved, and (first) getting a snowflake millenial like me who knew how to whine, and hear my whining, without needing me to implicate myself in Anti-Comcast Talk.

It's actually pretty simple, honestly. First is to pay them a wage that isn't hideous. Second is to give them the right to tell the customer to calm down before you'll fix their problem if they're irate. Third is to stop rewarding customers for being angry. Fourth is to ensure poo poo actually works 99.9% of the time so customers rarely need to call in the first place.

I imagine just the first one would make the job suck exponentially less but, well, this is Comcast we're talking about so they're going to do literally none of those things.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I never realized that Scott Free, the given name of DC superhero Mister Miracle, was a play on "scot free" until the recent laughing at Trump for using "scott free" in a tweet.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Dr Christmas posted:

I never realized that Scott Free, the given name of DC superhero Mister Miracle, was a play on "scot free" until the recent laughing at Trump for using "scott free" in a tweet.

You do know he's an escape artist, right?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Ferrule posted:

Trump?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's actually pretty simple, honestly. First is to pay them a wage that isn't hideous. Second is to give them the right to tell the customer to calm down before you'll fix their problem if they're irate. Third is to stop rewarding customers for being angry. Fourth is to ensure poo poo actually works 99.9% of the time so customers rarely need to call in the first place.

I imagine just the first one would make the job suck exponentially less but, well, this is Comcast we're talking about so they're going to do literally none of those things.

If things work 90% out of the box, that's good enough for anyone. I assure you that, in general, 90% of everything is poo poo. Even the things that you like are 90% poo poo. I know that 90% of the things that I like and trust are poo poo.

The real trick to good customer service is that a human answers on or before the first ring and routes your call in less than 5 seconds. That settles the customer and they won't rant and rave at you after fighting an IVR. It's cheaper to pay a human to route calls correctly in a couple seconds than to pay a poor tech to listen to a 10 minute rant about how crappy the IVR is.

Look to companies like Uline for the best customer service in the world. Call them if your kid can't get a date for the prom and you'll have a solution in 5 minutes. Amazing customer service The phone doesn't even ring. The answer the phone and immediately verify your name and address before you can say hello. They also give a lot of free stuff for significant orders.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Len posted:

I have strong feelings about giving credit to Santa for bringing the expensive gifts. When I had a kid my fiancee is on board with the cheap things being from Santa and giving us credit for the expensive stuff.

I was from a spoiled house and an only so I got drat near anything I ever wanted for Christmas but not all kids are lucky and I just think it has to feel lovely to see people getting PlayStations/Xbox/Barbie dream home from Santa when you got a baseball glove and shoes that fit right and don't have holes in them.

/rant

My parents told me that they had to pay Santa back which kinda turns him from a benevolent, jolly figure into an opportunistic hyper capitalist co-opting a religious holiday to guilt parents into going into debt.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Kinda poo poo parents you have that they let you believe that poo poo? My idiots parents were dumb enough to push Jesus on us and even they were like "nah, we got you this stuff. No strange, old, fat man sneaks into your house at night."

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

My parents told me that they had to pay Santa back which kinda turns him from a benevolent, jolly figure into an opportunistic hyper capitalist co-opting a religious holiday to guilt parents into going into debt.

That really only makes him a middleman then

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

JoelJoel posted:

Kinda poo poo parents you have that they let you believe that poo poo? My idiots parents were dumb enough to push Jesus on us and even they were like "nah, we got you this stuff. No strange, old, fat man sneaks into your house at night."

Sorry about your sad childhood.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Ferrule posted:

Yeah, but I thought they were going for a kind of irony by giving a mundane Earth name to the son of the Highfather of the guys called the New Gods. And "Free" because he's escaping stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Dr Christmas posted:

Yeah, but I thought they were going for a kind of irony by giving a mundane Earth name to the son of the Highfather of the guys called the New Gods. And "Free" because he's escaping stuff.

Now look up the real name of The Rainbow Raider.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Electrical Fire posted:

Sorry about your sad childhood.

Dollars to donuts he was the little poo poo who made a big thing about spoiling it for other kids

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dollars to donuts he was the little poo poo who made a big thing about spoiling it for other kids

Sorry an infant revealed that your parents knowingly and wilfully lied to you for no reason.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JoelJoel posted:

Sorry an infant revealed that your parents knowingly and wilfully lied to you for no reason.

Beep boop

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

JoelJoel posted:

You'd be fool to listen to anything an infant says

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Don't say it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Baby don't hurt me?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

In some countries Santa only stops by in early to mid December for a parade or to throw a bit of candy at kids and the actual gift giving is handled by Baby Jesus.

Over here we have thirteen mischievous trolls that arrive one at a time from December 12th to put toys or candy in shoes left in windows and all the actual gifts on Christmas , which starts at 1800 on Christmas Eve, are clearly and truthfully marked and have nothing to do with any of them.

also if you don't get any clothes a giant cat eats you.

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 03:48 on Dec 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer
Just lol if your presents don't come from Enrique beating your Christmas log until it shits.