Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yeah I think all those Proxxon bench-top tools are cool and I'd love to have some, but in many cases they cost about the same as the full sized tools (well not the name brand ones so much). I'm jelly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Jonny Nox posted:

A laser-cut house and garage..

This got me thinking about other stuff, and specifically tools again - and ended up asking father Xmas for a Proxxon TPM bench drill and a knock-off swiss vice. Thanks!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Another RCH mineral wagon done - this time a 7-planker (shown middle, below). At some point I need to paint these - I'm thinking of an all-over dark grey, and then working backwards when I can source or find relevant private owner transfers. I'm quite pleased, I managed to get the etched axle boxes on without too much of a fuss. I did make a bit of a pigs ear of the brake lever but feel well equipped to deal with whatever's coming next.

Loins sufficiently girded, I decided to tackle a trio of SR Vans, all on 10' wheelbase chassis:

One thing that came out of my track laying is that there needs to be SOME weight in the wagons. The NEM standard for N is 0.2g per mm over buffers (see here: https://www.morop.eu/downloads/nem/de/nem302_d.pdf ) - I think it's fairly reasonable to settle on half a gram per foot - so roughly 10g and 8.5g for vans and open wagons respectively. I'm not looking to pull huge trains and I think the better running qualities will win out. Time will tell! Araldite? PVA? For the wagons I was going to glue underneath the chassis, around the solebars.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I'm doing the Revell 1:50 Viking Ship. I'm at the step I knew I'd like the most: applying 64 shields decals! The thing is, the decals contain the center of the shield, which is still. And that sucks because the actual center is a convex bit protruding from the shield so there's no way the decals would conform properly. So I bought one of these tools you use to punch extra holes in belts and other leather straps, to punch the center out. It works brilliantly:

And to make my life easy I used use a marker with a silver ink to paint the center piece of each shield (I had just applied Micro Sol on the picture below). Does't matter if it spills a little bit as the decals will cover it.

When the decals are done and look great and I want to weather this a little bit. I don't really have inks except for Citadel shades. Would a Nuln Oil or an Agrax Earthshade work better for these?

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Behold, the Ultra Mega Gunboat. A spare torpedo boat from my Nagato kit fitted out with a spare triple barrel AA gun, and 4 single AA guns. I even tossed some extra photoetch bits on there that I had laying around.

I had to hand-line the hull, as trying to get some masking on this tiny fucker is just not happening. I might even put a little wash on it and I think there's even some photoetch people I didn't want that came with a PE kit.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Furism posted:

I'm doing the Revell 1:50 Viking Ship. I'm at the step I knew I'd like the most: applying 64 shields decals! The thing is, the decals contain the center of the shield, which is still. And that sucks because the actual center is a convex bit protruding from the shield so there's no way the decals would conform properly. So I bought one of these tools you use to punch extra holes in belts and other leather straps, to punch the center out. It works brilliantly:

And to make my life easy I used use a marker with a silver ink to paint the center piece of each shield (I had just applied Micro Sol on the picture below). Does't matter if it spills a little bit as the decals will cover it.

When the decals are done and look great and I want to weather this a little bit. I don't really have inks except for Citadel shades. Would a Nuln Oil or an Agrax Earthshade work better for these?

Oh man, when I was like...4 or 5, I "helped" my grandfather build this. I remember him giving me those decals to put on the shields and my clumsy little toddler fingers not cooperating balling them up and destroying them. I'm probably going to grab this kit from Hobby Lobby on the way home now since my son is about that age now and likes to "help" too.

To answer your question though, I'd go with a mix of Nuln Oil and Agrax; the black for definition and the brown for actual dirt. Should look pretty awesome.

Thanks a ton for posting this; that brought back some really good memories.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Enos Shenk posted:

Behold, the Ultra Mega Gunboat. A spare torpedo boat from my Nagato kit fitted out with a spare triple barrel AA gun, and 4 single AA guns. I even tossed some extra photoetch bits on there that I had laying around.

I had to hand-line the hull, as trying to get some masking on this tiny fucker is just not happening. I might even put a little wash on it and I think there's even some photoetch people I didn't want that came with a PE kit.

Looks good. Post a blurry photoshopped photo of it on the internet and see if it gets a wild alternate history made up for it.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh man, when I was like...4 or 5, I "helped" my grandfather build this. I remember him giving me those decals to put on the shields and my clumsy little toddler fingers not cooperating balling them up and destroying them. I'm probably going to grab this kit from Hobby Lobby on the way home now since my son is about that age now and likes to "help" too.

To answer your question though, I'd go with a mix of Nuln Oil and Agrax; the black for definition and the brown for actual dirt. Should look pretty awesome.

Thanks a ton for posting this; that brought back some really good memories.

I'm glad this brought back good memories :) I'm making very good ones of my own with this project.

I have a 4 years old myself, and there's no way I'll let him touch the decals, but he did "help" me holding the hull and the deck. He even commented "don't go too fast daddy" when I was applying the glue. :allears:

Now he wants scale models of his own so for Christmas I got him a Flash McQueen that you only need to cover with the provided (kid friendly) paint. I think scale modeling is really good for teaching kids patience, fine movements, etc. He still hasn't broken the Space Marine I painted for him 6+ months ago, it's incredible. It's the nerd equivalent of taking care of an egg for a week, I guess.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Furism posted:

Now he wants scale models of his own so for Christmas I got him a Flash McQueen that you only need to cover with the provided (kid friendly) paint. I think scale modeling is really good for teaching kids patience, fine movements, etc. He still hasn't broken the Space Marine I painted for him 6+ months ago, it's incredible. It's the nerd equivalent of taking care of an egg for a week, I guess.

Longtime lurker checking in, yeah no this is legit incredible

There are plenty of adults that can't be trusted with finished Space Marines

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

thechalkoutline posted:

Longtime lurker checking in, yeah no this is legit incredible

There are plenty of adults that can't be trusted with finished Space Marines

Christ, I had both of my kids build those Zvezda Cars models and they were destroyed in about a week or so.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Furism posted:

I'm glad this brought back good memories :) I'm making very good ones of my own with this project.

I have a 4 years old myself, and there's no way I'll let him touch the decals, but he did "help" me holding the hull and the deck. He even commented "don't go too fast daddy" when I was applying the glue. :allears:

Revell still hadn't got rid of their colored plastic and stickers style snap together kits (the last beginner kits I saw from revell were pre-painted, barely any point in assembly) when my son was still too young to not break models. He ended up getting his mom to hang them from the roof actually.

But they fuckin destroyed the x-wing game minis.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
To be honest he doesn't play with the Space Marines, they're just on his nightstand "protecting him." He did destroy a F-4 and a Rafale pretty good!

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Furism posted:

This is amazing I love it.

I would paint or spray on a gloss varnish to seal and protect the decals and micro sol then add any wash you like. Citadel shades will be fine then spray on a matt varnish when dry - should look great!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
My next project is an F-104 in RCAF livery, with the gears up, for a friend’s nursery. I fully expect the thing to be used for PEW PEW purposes in a couples of years and I’m fine with that.

Think I’ll stick a magnet in the fuselage so it’s easier to hang.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ugh.

Wasn't gonna have my PC for a week, so I figured this would be a good time to finish a kit or two.

Turns out my compressor regulator has a leak. Perfect.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Furism posted:

To be honest he doesn't play with the Space Marines, they're just on his nightstand "protecting him."
This seems to be a weirdly common thing with kids. They get a Space Marine protector, and then end up being super happy with just having it nearby as an anti-tiger rock.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Enos Shenk posted:

Just out of curiosity, would a triple-barrel cannon of that size work on a boat that small? I have no idea what the recoil'd be like.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just out of curiosity, would a triple-barrel cannon of that size work on a boat that small? I have no idea what the recoil'd be like.

The 25mm triple mount weighed 1.8 tons, probably a bit heavy for a boat that size. Recoil was fine though, they strapped more powerful guns to PT boats.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 12, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Neddy Seagoon posted:

https://i.imgur.com/GlrIz8m.gifv

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

FrozenVent posted:

My next project is an F-104 in RCAF livery, with the gears up, for a friend’s nursery. I fully expect the thing to be used for PEW PEW purposes in a couples of years and I’m fine with that.

Just so you know small magnets and children do not mix, AT ALL.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

FrozenVent posted:

Lawn Darts and children have never really mixed well, but you do you.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

big_g posted:

Just so you know small magnets and children do not mix, AT ALL.

Neither do small parts. I don’t expect he’ll get to play with it for a good few years. And I won’t be using a tiny magnet.

Fearless posted:

:golfclap:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fearless posted:

My childhood playing lawn darts at my grandparents disagrees. :colbert:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
My favorite childhood lawn dart memory was me and a bunch of kids seeing all the parents sitting in a circle in lawn chairs, and saying "hey everybody, let's throw all these lawn darts up in the air at once and see if we can land them inside the circle of adults!"

Luckily everyone's aim was on that day, but it was quite the cyclone of parental anger that was unleashed when the lawn darts all started raining down between them.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

So I've finished the Chieftain Troop, my first ever Team Yankee models. I think they turned out okay for my forst ever attempt at 15mm Brirish Cold War armour. Let me know what you think and check out the 360 shots.

360 rotations:

https://spinzam.com/shot/embed/?idx=101571

https://spinzam.com/shot/embed/?idx=101572

And some pics

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ebay is running a 15% off toys promo. Looks like it applies to scale models too.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Great tanks, and sweet 360 degree photo too. How did you do it?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Ensign Expendable posted:

Looks like a little spinny turntable. Put your camera on a tripod, turn on the turntable, and take a bunch of pictures!

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

WIP of a Roden 1/72 TF.1 Sopwith Camel (trench prototype). Not my cleanest work. This is the kit that made me decide to never get another 1/72 WWI kit.

The fuselage fit was awful, and the twin downward-facing Lewis guns complicated my usual painting and assembly flow. First time working with a clear doped linen finish too. Only scratch details are the seat cushion and the seatbelt.

PS: The Aizu micron tapes own. Just make sure you order them from Japan to avoid price gouging.

Symetrique fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 14, 2018

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I was having a hell of a time with some Tamiya decals tearing on some 1/24 cars. Turns out the hot water from my tap wasn’t hot enough - using 60 degree c water from the kettle resulted in way faster softening and less tearing.

Still they are a huge pain in the arse. Need to get some less strong mark fit.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Ensign Expendable posted:

Avenging Dentist is correct it’s a set up with a mechanical turntable that bluetooths to your phone and pairs up 48 images to make the 360 file.

Meant to be used for people selling jewlery etc. on e-bay but works well I think, you can just about fit 1:35 scale armour in it!

https://spinzam.com/shot/?idx=32647

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

NTRabbit posted:

The 25mm triple mount weighed 1.8 tons, probably a bit heavy for a boat that size. Recoil was fine though, they strapped more powerful guns to PT boats.

Lol, what sailors did to PT boats was loving amazing. Some even ditched all their tubes to turn the boats into pure gunboats

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Some more etched chassis - 10' Southern Railway vacuum braked little gits. The bend on the brake levers was bloody difficult!

Is anyone enjoying this? I don't want to keep spamming the thread if I'm just shouting into the wind :)

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

Some more etched chassis - 10' Southern Railway vacuum braked little gits. The bend on the brake levers was bloody difficult!

Is anyone enjoying this? I don't want to keep spamming the thread if I'm just shouting into the wind :)

Keep going. People who don't like it can spare the .5s scrolling past your posts takes.

Also, more detail please.

What is this, and why?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK, I'm hoping to have some more finished models to show off shortly, but to give some detail and context:

In the 1920's Britain's 'southern railway' was formed in grouping the three major southern railway constituents. These wagons represent a using up of old stock material and designs: 'South East & Chatham' bodies with 'London & South Western' bearings and novel frames - the wagon loading was restricted to 10T until new bearings were installed. The wagons ontop are planked or plywood ventilated vans used for general purpose traffic (but could be co-opted to fruit, etc.) built in the 1930's. The annoying brake lever (diagonal arm going centre-to-right) worked on a cantilever to apply the brakes (you can see the shoe of the brake gear adjacent to the left hand axle box), an example of what it looked like in real life (significantly more 3D than in my example) is here:

An example of what and why I'm doing this - stock front, finescale back (I've already snipped off the couplers/etc. since this photo was taken, too)

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Southern Heel posted:

Keep posting dude, railways are not really my thing but enjoying yours posts a lot.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Southern Heel posted:

We're all here because we enjoy the overall hobby, so keep posting. I keep posting my cars but everybody here only builds armor so nobody cares :v:.

Speaking of which, spent some time bending up the new 3" exhaust. tried to match the old stuff the best I could. Mocked up in the chassis while the glue joints to the mufflers set.

Got the vinyl (masking tape) top done and populated the engine bay as well. Still need to get foil on the trim and then the windows can go in.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 15, 2018

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Southern Heel posted:

Yep. Post away, please. :)

That said, I finished up a couple projects today. Both of these were recently recovered from the shelf of doom. Not sure which one languished longer, but I think it was the tank. Neither are perfect, but I'm pretty happy with them.

First up:
1/32 Trumpeter F4F-4 Wildcat of the Cactus Air Force on Guadalcanal, ca. Autumn 1942

The kit is kinda so-so with the wing fit being the worst part. I opted to follow the advice of a couple build guides and forego the whole workable wing fold mechanism and instead glued the inner and outer wings together. The engine itself is the high point of the kit and is really well-done. Trumpeter has their stuff together when reproducing high-power radial engines in small scale. There were a couple times that the wing fit issue pissed me off so bad I almost tossed the whole kit, but since the engine turned out so well, I decided to persevere. In the end I'm happy with the final product.

Secondly:
1/35 Trumpeter KV-1

I really have something of a love/hate relationship with Trumpeter's stuff. Both of these kits had fit issues, but turned out okay in the end. In this case, the upper hull deck piece was warped and took considerable time to glue together and fill. I tried a new technique for me in which I primed in light gray and pre-shaded in black before painting the base color. Afterwards, it looked okay, but I still ended up doing some oil paint rendering across the bulk of the model in order to give it some more depth.

I've got two more kits on the bench - a nearly-complete Hasegawa Ki-84 Frank, and a still-in-the-wrap Hasegawa P-40E Warhawk, both in 1/32 scale. I'm going to try to knock both of them out before the end of the year in order to clear the bench for my next major project. The Large Scale Planes forum is starting a year-long group build with the theme of multi-engine aircraft.

This...

...will be my subject.

I'm planning to take the HKM B-17E/F kit and build it up as the aircraft that ultimately came to be known as Swamp Ghost. After lying in a swamp in New Guinea for 60+ years, it now resides in the Pacific Aviation Museum in Pearl Harbor. I will, of course, be modeling it pre-crash. The really interesting part is that I'll have to scratch build the entire lower turret assembly as it was equipped with the very very early remotely-operated turret system. The kit does not include this, but since the early turret was a direct copy of the upper turret, I think I can use the spare upper turret assembly in the kit as a base to build the lower turret. Scratch building has never been anything I've done much of, so this ought to push the limit of my skills considerably.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Great looking KV. I prefer Zvezda's KVs over Trumpeter's, but the Trumpeter kit is pretty good too. Definitely a superior option to Tamiya and Eastern Express.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

We're all here because we enjoy the overall hobby, so keep posting. I keep posting my cars but everybody here only builds armor so nobody cares :v:.

I care! I just don't post much.