Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Tribunal play?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Tribunal play?

Yep! That whole play always makes me crack up!

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

when i first did that quest i memorised the entire script

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time...

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Poniard posted:

every time im teaching someone something and there's more than one way to do whatever, i always say "there are a few ways we can do this and the choice is yours" in you know what inflection, that's my morrowind story cya

Anyone ever call you on it?

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Poniard posted:

every time im teaching someone something and there's more than one way to do whatever, i always say "there are a few ways we can do this and the choice is yours" in you know what inflection, that's my morrowind story cya

Totally going to steal this idea.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

chaosapiant posted:

Yep! That whole play always makes me crack up!

This bit is my favorite, as a lifelong shroom-wizard player:

The Horror of Castle Xyr stage directions posted:

ANARA: Please, serjo, go wherever you want. We have nothing to hide. We're loyal Imperial subjects.

CLAVIDES: As, I hear, are all Telvanni.

(Note from the playwright: this line should be delivered without sarcasm. Trust the audience to laugh -- it never fails, regardless of the politics of the locals.)

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just bought this digitally so I can play it again after all these years.

I see there's a ton of mods in the OP, any that you would say are essential and play nice with the Steam version on Win 10?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phlegmish posted:

I see there's a ton of mods in the OP, any that you would say are essential and play nice with the Steam version on Win 10?

You'll want to pick up the Morrowind Code Fix Patch or whatever it's called, and from there you can find a few options to make it look superficially like a modern game.

No matter how many HD texture mods you duct tape onto it, though, you will still be limited to very simple animations and model skeletons, so don't expect miracles.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Phlegmish posted:

Like the post above me says, the Morrowind Code Patch is the only must have. For quality of life purposes of I'd get one of the mods that makes running no longer drain fatigue and maybe one of the leveling mods that ties your ability scores directly to your skills so you don't gimp yourself accidently.

Oh and a quick start mod for character creation if you're anything like me and likely to restart a dozen times before finding a character you want to stick with.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
/\ Those are all good ideas. On mobile, or I'd search you up some links to examples.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Alright, thanks for the tip. Looks like I haven't been on Nexus for a while, so I have to wait for the re-activation mail to arrive. Seems to be taking some time.

Assuming I don't install one of the aforementioned leveling mods, which skills would you recommend I tag at character creation for maximum efficiency? I forgot how convoluted this system is. All I know is I'm going to be doing a lot of running and jumping, the fact that those skills increased by using them was one of my favorite things back when I first played it.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Have an armor skill. Take a weapon skill as a primary skill, both because you'll be using it a ton (efficient leveling) and because Morrowind has To-Hit rolls, and your hit chance is heavily dependent on your weapon skill. Starting with something high makes that less bothersome. (You can synergize with racial benefits—Redguard with Long Blade is a particularly powerful combo.) Restoration is a good basic utility magic school, especially with some kind of Restore Fatigue spell effect. Learn that, then go to a spellmaker and make a custom low-powered version that you can cast successfully, and use that to fuel your constant running and jumping.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Be a mage, disappear into Nalcarya of White Haven's shop for half an hour, and emerge a better fighter than the best fighter after having power leveled your alchemy.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I always go to the Imperial Cult shop in Wolverine Hall after passing through Caldera for equipment.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vavrek posted:

I always go to the Imperial Cult shop in Wolverine Hall after passing through Caldera for equipment.

Clothier and pawnbroker in Caldera both have some good deals!

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Hand-to-hand levels crazy fast and tends to stunlock enemies. Enable the option to loot knocked out enemies in the MCP too.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Vavrek posted:

Have an armor skill. Take a weapon skill as a primary skill, both because you'll be using it a ton (efficient leveling) and because Morrowind has To-Hit rolls, and your hit chance is heavily dependent on your weapon skill. Starting with something high makes that less bothersome. (You can synergize with racial benefits—Redguard with Long Blade is a particularly powerful combo.) Restoration is a good basic utility magic school, especially with some kind of Restore Fatigue spell effect. Learn that, then go to a spellmaker and make a custom low-powered version that you can cast successfully, and use that to fuel your constant running and jumping.

Couldn't wait, ended up with this:

Now I'm out into the wilderness, killing mudcrabs and kwama foragers.

On the technical side, everything runs smoothly, with the major downside that it crashes when I alt-tab.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Looks like a solid build. Pretty much what I was trying to recommend. Condolences about the technical problems. It seems like there are some minor issues with the Steam version like that (the overlay not working correctly is the other one I remember). I have .iso files made from my original discs and everything works surprisingly well.

Please, keep us posted about your adventures and impressions! We're vampires who feed on the enthusiasm of the inexperienced love hearing about first impressions or fond remembrances around here.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My only feedback is Medium Armor is useless but for the bonemold aesthetic, especially if you're already going to be using heavy armor.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
The weight savings of medium over heavy can be meaningful at a certain weight range, but at that point you may be better off leaving coverage gaps. IMO it's a bad idea and slows your skill gains, but it's up to who's runnin it in the end. Until you're fully ripped you wanna be running as light as humanly possible.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Worth noting that Light Armor sets give as good of armor bonuses as heavy armor, and better than medium armor, while weighing significantly less.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The game isn't hard enough to care about stuff like that

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If going purely for looks, then wear nothing but bonemold and gently caress the haters.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Addamere posted:

My only feedback is Medium Armor is useless but for the bonemold aesthetic, especially if you're already going to be using heavy armor.

Medium Armor is the best because it has Indoril pauldrons. :colbert:

They stick through my robes!

Now, you may say things like "Ordinators will hate you forever if you wear the cuirass or helm" or "Indoril armor doesn't have any pants!" These things may be true. But a true Patriarch has a far superior chestpiece (it adds sparkles!) and there's no reason to hide your beautiful visage. For the second point, I have a deeply important philosophical question for you:

Why are you wearing pants?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Orcish is medium, right? It looks decent if I remember correctly, has a sorta samurai vibe.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Orcish is medium, right? It looks decent if I remember correctly, has a sorta samurai vibe.

Medium armor has:
Bonemold, orcish, adamantium, indoril, royal guard in tribunal, and the ebony mail.

It is the armor of Pure Aesthetic.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

And stahlrim!!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

I knew I could trust you to understand.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Medium armor has:
Bonemold, orcish, adamantium, indoril, royal guard in tribunal, and the ebony mail.

pff how can you forget the story of Ruddy Man gtfo
e: not to mention dragonscale, but newtscale is a strong contender in the scale front. Medium also has Nordic Ring that is a good lookin armor for low levels.
e2: no, wear what you like regardless of stats, once you get your skills up enough you can walk around in your undies with an iron dagger and kill whatever you want

SniperWoreConverse fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Dec 13, 2018

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

i always pick either the redoran watchman helm or the telvanni cephalapod helm and like 70% of the time its the set: cuirass of saviours hide, glass shoulders and greaves, fists of randagulf and of course boots of blinding speed

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Poniard posted:

Does anybody crouch-walk away and steal your silverware?

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Aesthetic reflects usefulness, in that medium armor is the only way I can train up my Endurance, which means I will be having the poo poo kicked out of me in bonemold 24/7 and no I don't give.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
A replay is calling. Last time I played through I used the complete overhaul thing, but I see that's considered much of an option these days, so I was considering using the following mods:

Morrowind Code Patch
Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds And Graphics
MGE XE
Better Dialogue Font
The Facepack Compilation
Better Bodies
Morrowind Comes Alive
Real Signposts
Graphic Herbalism
Delayed DB Attack V2
Official Mods Compilation

I've played through vanilla enough times to not be bothered by the so-called jank, so is there anything really vital I'm missing here?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jvk1166z.esp

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Addamere posted:

Yeah, I see that now. Only good thing about it is, I don't have any money yet, so for the time being I'm running around in a thrift shop ensemble of Heavy Armor, Medium Armor and No Armor At All. Funny thing is, mudcrabs and kwama foragers are so useless that they have a hard time hitting me even now. Which is actually a bad thing as I understand it, since it's one of the only ways to get that precious early Endurance.

This game doesn't need an FPS cap, right? It's sixteen years old so I'm running it at a smooth 144 FPS and it's incredibly refreshing after my full playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas where everything would go haywire if you dared play it at 60+ FPS.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, I see that now. Only good thing about it is, I don't have any money yet, so for the time being I'm running around in a thrift shop ensemble of Heavy Armor, Medium Armor and No Armor At All. Funny thing is, mudcrabs and kwama foragers are so useless that they have a hard time hitting me even now. Which is actually a bad thing as I understand it, since it's one of the only ways to get that precious early Endurance.

This game doesn't need an FPS cap, right? It's sixteen years old so I'm running it at a smooth 144 FPS and it's incredibly refreshing after my full playthrough of Fallout: New Vegas where everything would go haywire if you dared play it at 60+ FPS.

If you care about things like that you might want to look into the Morrowind Graphics Extender (MGE). It's only a few megabytes and has all sorts of features like distant land and whatnot.

e: It's basically the only other "always install" thing on everyone's list aside from MCP

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 13, 2018

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Why are you not stabbing things with a pointy stick to make yourself healthier.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Private Speech posted:

If you care about things like that you might want to look into the Morrowind Graphics Extender (MGE). It's only a few megabytes and has all sorts of features like distant land and whatnot.

e: It's basically the only other "always install" thing on everyone's list aside from MCP

I was going to say MWSE but then remembered that its integrated into MGE and MGE-XE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I was going to say MWSE but then remembered that its integrated into MGE and MGE-XE

I know some people who play without MWSE for, uhh, reasons I guess? Either way MWSE is meaningless without other mods.

e: I mentioned another program here, but it's not one to recommend so it's gone now.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 13, 2018