Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

My factory's current problem is that there isn't enough goddamn oil. The other problem is that even when there is enough oil, there isn't enough goddamn lubricant. I'm a bit flummoxed at how to fix things though because once you stop using one of the oil products they all stop producing.

How do I manage this in general?

(e) new thread title is :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Easy solution: lots of fluid storage tanks

Correct solution: wire things up so that your chemical plants turn on and off as demand changes

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Double easy solution: Turn excess into solid fuel.

You'll need it eventually anyway, no reason not to start early and stockpile.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

My factory's current problem is that there isn't enough goddamn oil. The other problem is that even when there is enough oil, there isn't enough goddamn lubricant. I'm a bit flummoxed at how to fix things though because once you stop using one of the oil products they all stop producing.

How do I manage this in general?

The classic that I still use is a single wire from heavy oil storage to a pump that controls access to cracking heavy oil to light. That way there is always [10k]ish heavy oil on hand to make into lubricant assuming that storage isn't at 100%

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
What kind of life are you living when you don't have enough lubricant. I don't understand the situation. Are you trying to make 4800 blue belts? Don't do that. Even if (especially if) you're making a mega base you will never use all of them before you convert to logibots.

Blue belts are bad. There I've said it. But there isn't really a knot they untie before it's time to go logibots.

simble
May 11, 2004

Counterpoint: bots are bad

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yeah but you're either putting together a base where you aren't scratching the need for UPS optimization and you can run parallel yellow/red belts for material investment pittances compared to blue. Or you need UPS and yellow red and blue are all equally trash in the face of the logibot UPS impact.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

zedprime posted:

What kind of life are you living when you don't have enough lubricant. I don't understand the situation. Are you trying to make 4800 blue belts? Don't do that. Even if (especially if) you're making a mega base you will never use all of them before you convert to logibots.

Blue belts are bad. There I've said it. But there isn't really a knot they untie before it's time to go logibots.

I don't even have blue belts researched yet. I think what's happening (at least partly) is that all of the heavy oil is going to cracking before it goes to lubricant processing, but I don't really know how to control that. Liquid flow in this game kinda confuses me.

I also never learned how to do logistics circuits/tests. Guess I gotta learn, so I can buffer heavy and send it from there to cracking OR lubrication instead of trying to do both at once

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ciaphas posted:

I don't even have blue belts researched yet. I think what's happening (at least partly) is that all of the heavy oil is going to cracking before it goes to lubricant processing, but I don't really know how to control that. I never learned how to do logistics circuits/tests.

Guess I gotta learn, so I can buffer heavy and send it from there to cracking OR lubrication instead of trying to do both at once

In general you should be sending heavy oil to processing into lube and not cracking it. Crack light oil if you need more gas. Cracking heavy oil is basically wasting it and mostly for if you have too much lube.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Noted! So many construction and logistics bots unbuilt because of that :negative:

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
Fun Bob's Angels stuff: you can have a self-sustaining (other than power) closed loop for mineral sludge (and at a very slow rate, sulfuric acid) by using coal filtering instead of ceramic filtering and then converting the byproduct sulfuric waste into sulfuric acid. You do need to make coal as well, which is slightly more convoluted (but worst case, you rarely are hurting for it anyway).

Is it worth it? Eh. However, it's pretty neat. :colbert:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Your logical diagram probably looks like this:
code:
              cracking
            /
Refinery —>
            \
              storage —> lubricant
it should probably look like this:

Refinery—-> storage —>lubricant —>pump —>cracking

phoneposting, so hopefully this gets the idea across. Cracking and solid fuel should be gated behind pumps to ensure they only happpen when you have too much of something. With my current megafactory I’ve set it up so petrol gas will get turned into solid fuel so the refineries are always working, but in normal situations, you’ll use enough sulfuric acid that you never cap petrol gas.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Quoting myself from, holy poo poo, three and a half years ago. This is still basically correct. The big difference is back then a tank held 2500 liquid so I used 4900 (2x2500 minus a bit of wiggle room) but now takes hold 25000 liquid so if I replicated that setup exactly I'd set my condition to be 49000.

FISHMANPET posted:

If you wanna put stuff in your circuit network, you have to connect every piece to by wire. So if you've got 10 takes, you gotta connect 'em all. Though thankfully you can just string wire from tank to tank to a pole that connects to your inserters/pumps.

Now, the signals. I gotta be honest, the whole "send an advanced circuit signal" or "send a stone signal" is silly. I just use counts.

So in my plant I'm just setting it so it doesn't crack heavy into light oil unless my 2 tanks of lube are full:

So I've got red wire from tank to tank to pole to pump. Heavy oil comes up from the south in that ground pipe. If there is less than 4900 Lube in the Circuit network, then the pump stays off, and all the heavy oil will go into the lube factories. If there is more than 4900 Lube, then the pump will turn on and feed the two Heavy > Light crackers.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
Blue Belts are fine and there is no need to be mad about them. Factorio is not a game about building The Most Optimal Factory, it is a game about building the factory you want to build, and for a lot of people that means using belts instead of bots even when that is less efficient because that is how they want to make their factory.

Yes, blue belts are expensive in resources relative to yellow and red belts, but not so expensive that it is actually challenging to make a lot of them, if you are making enough plastic to crank out a decent volume of red circuits then you should easily have the lubricant you need. Apart from that they just take iron and honestly who doesn't have too much iron in the mid-game.

The only things in the vanilla game that are actually expensive and difficult to produce in volume pre-megabase are level 3 modules.

Jamsque fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 11, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I know I'm gonna have to break down and redo my (underground) belt/splitter factory because there is no loving way I'm producing enough gears to keep up

Hell, four gear factories is barely enough for red, really

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Jamsque posted:

they just take iron and honestly who doesn't have too much iron in the mid-game.

I am always iron-starved because I always grossly underestimate how much iron I'll need.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

jokes posted:

I am always iron-starved because I always grossly underestimate how much iron I'll need.

The answer is always more. You need more. Whatever it is you need more of it.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

*glances at the 5 full chests of solid fuel with the backed up conveyor belts feeding into them*

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Blue belts trigger me so hard I am here trying to find the blue belt bogeyman when he doesn't actually exist.

A good petro set up is characterized by your gas filling up but not quite while you turn all the heavy into light and light into fuel and you know what this guy gets me:

jokes posted:

*glances at the 5 full chests of solid fuel with the backed up conveyor belts feeding into them*

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

jokes posted:

make it into rocket fuel

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

necrotic posted:

make it into rocket fuel

Then make that into nuclear fuel.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

jokes posted:

*glances at the 64 full chests of nuclear fuel.*

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sounds like you need to nuke your nuclear fuel! :science:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
So just checked. Because of course you never have use for any of this stuff so the inventory just fills up.

Currently I have 9500 nuclear fuel

And 3840 nuclear missiles.

https://i.imgur.com/LhFuIzJ.jpg in 2560x1080

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Someone make the Christmas mod.
:worship:

And rename/recolor crude oil to EggNog

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Science is Christmas cookies? Inserters are elves with cranes?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

And the rocket is Santa on his sleigh, with reindeer

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

*glances at the 64 full chests of nuclear fuel.*

Sounds like you aren't using enough trains.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
How is the default Rail World setting compared to something like RSO? Does either one offer infinite resource patches so you don't have to spend all your time setting up new outposts?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Solumin posted:

How is the default Rail World setting compared to something like RSO? Does either one offer infinite resource patches so you don't have to spend all your time setting up new outposts?

There aren't infinite patches in vanilla Factorio. Granted if you go away far enough the amount of resources can get pretty bonkers.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Solumin posted:

Science is Christmas cookies? Inserters are elves with cranes?
Obviously cookies would be the various circuit boards. Science would be presents.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Solumin posted:

RSO and rail world supposed to generate very large patches far away from your base. You're going to be spending less time making outposts because your outposts will last longer. But, the purpose of these is primarily to make you use trains, and you will need to keep expanding.

There's a mod that makes ore patches behave like oil patches where they lose yield over time but never go to zero.

If I want to make a big base and not worry about mining, I'll use a cheat mod to spawn resources at the input to the base.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Rail World doesn't quite handle AngelBob map gen properly; it will happily spawn the infinite patches as if they were separate instead of what RSO purports to do (normal ore patches with the infinity-type as its core). I have been okay with that for two reasons.
1. This is my first time with that mod setup so being able to source stuff and let it run perpetually while working out the supply chains has been great.
2. The infinity patches require various types of acid, similar to the base uranium mining. Creating these acids range from 'finally have a use for all this sulfur' to 'a byproduct of oil production produced in very small quantities OR dissolving ore that you've been generating from mineral slag because you haven't a crystal catalyst setup yet'

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Alright so it sounds like the built-in rail world will be fine for making a large, train-supplied base in an otherwise vanilla game. Thanks thread!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Yeah I didn't even think about using the rail world preset for mine, I just went straight for RSO because that's kinda what you just did if you wanted an excuse to train it up back in the day. Is rail world any better/worse/different, besides (of course) being built in?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
People generally say that rso is better. I don't have much play experience wuth either though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
RSOs distribution algorithm is just better altogether for infrequent resource islands. Standard factorio distribution applied through rail world means you have water/other resources or whatever suppressing the one set of copper you're going to see for the next 20 screens. RSO is applied after water so it can scoot it onto land, and depending on settings will appropriately mix the full amount of let's say copper and iron in the same screen so that one doesn't suppress the other.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
From what I remember of the Dev Blogs the next patch is going to re-work mapgen in a way that sounds very RSO-like.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Railworld is fine.

Bots are bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Festorio mod:

Coal = Sugar
Copper = Raw Milk / Plates = Milk bottles
Iron = Cocoa / Plates = Boxes of Cocoa
Stone = Assorted Nuts / Bricks = Nut Bars

Assemblers = Elf workshops

Player = Ms. Claus

You're supplying the elves who need sweets and toy parts to make different presents.

Also Cotton Candy throwers