Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

Wheeee posted:

the perfect worker is the one who does the least possible amount of work while not being fired

I can't claim to be perfect but I'm refining this technique every single day. I've managed to avoid doing any real work for years now and although sometimes it's very stressful, it's all been worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

the only reason i do any work at my current job is that im a public servant so my work actually matters and isnt just a means to make some rich piece of poo poo richer

its the first such job ive ever had, feels weird

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

I wanna read those. Do you have a link?

It's one of the many things I learned in an A/T thread, so I don't really have all the details.

I did however, know that I could ask in the thread for more information, so here you are, crossposted here.

bewbies posted:

"Time on the Cross" is the seminal work on the subject; I'm honestly not sure what if any worthwhile scholarship has been done since then (I'm sure it has but I'm not familiar with it). It is focused almost entirely on the antebellum American south and not earlier periods so I'm not sure if this would even meet your needs. Spoiler: slavery was hugely profitable, and slaves had an incredibly high ROI.

An advanced warning: "Time on the Cross" was written by economists, not historians, and is very...math-centric and will definitely read to the modern reader as pretty callous towards the ethics of slavery. Interestingly enough the authors wrote the book with the intent of dispelling the various mythologies (that widely persist even today) that blacks were stupid and lazy and promiscuous.

While it's a bit hyperbolic to compare that with modern wage employment at inhumane companies, there are similar strategies at work. I wonder what the return of investment actually is at these companies for their employees. So much of the futurist nonsense that goes around acts like human employees are an impediment more than anything else, but if that were true these giant companies that rely on them wouldn't be giant companies.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's one of the many things I learned in an A/T thread, so I don't really have all the details.

I did however, know that I could ask in the thread for more information, so here you are, crossposted here.

While it's a bit hyperbolic to compare that with modern wage employment at inhumane companies, there are similar strategies at work. I wonder what the return of investment actually is at these companies for their employees. So much of the futurist nonsense that goes around acts like human employees are an impediment more than anything else, but if that were true these giant companies that rely on them wouldn't be giant companies.

i'd be surprised if it was worked out to anywhere near the same extent. plantation owners usually had a far more personal stake in their business compared to today's corporate executives, and thus far more incentive to actually be successful, whereas today's CEOs can run the business into the ground and not give a gently caress.

also, agricultural inputs and outputs are relatively easy to quantify compared to most modern business. no R&D, limited logistics and communications, minimal advertising and marketing, and so on.

of course, there's still efforts to quantify all that stuff. that's what modern business and management study pretends to be. and it even mostly succeeds on some relatively concrete areas, such as factory manufacturing lines. but a lot of it is still essentially voodoo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

nice

“Being a woman in blockchain,” she says, “is like riding a bicycle. Except the bicycle is on fire. And everything is on fire. And you are going to hell.”

followup:
https://breakermag.com/this-app-lets-you-mine-cryptocurrency-by-jerking-off/
and

quote:

Related
An Open Letter From All Women to Sexual Consent App LegalFling
Bitcoin Bodice Rippers Are Romance’s Most Sizzling New Subgenre
SpankChain’s Making Money for Cam Performers But Not for Itself

got any sevens has issued a correction as of 19:15 on Dec 6, 2018

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/nbcwashington/status/1070658375451664384

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dead Beef posted:

oh... I guess I'm not surprised now that I think about it

OK here's a pitch: since natural language processing has advanced greatly, we could create an AI system that automatically spins news by phrasing or presenting it in ways (or with images) which provoke the strongest desired response from the viewer based on social media analytics

so that everybody gets their own personalized presentation of news, optimized to manipulate behavior

its called facebook

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I'm waiting for the follow up where the algorithm fired them while they were out.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Local Weather posted:

I can't claim to be perfect but I'm refining this technique every single day. I've managed to avoid doing any real work for years now and although sometimes it's very stressful, it's all been worth it.

But if you aren't a productive hard worker, how will you get raises and promotions?

kidding obviously, the meritocracy is a lie

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Nastier Nate posted:

But if you aren't a productive hard worker, how will you get raises and promotions?

kidding obviously, the meritocracy is a lie

you make sure raises are baked into your organized labor contract duh

Pooky
Aug 29, 2004

I post fox news so u don't have to 💋
https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1070795511731507200

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

This just bums me out.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1070824037360779270

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
You know that had to feel amazing, after. Wow.

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

thats nit dystopia thats just fuckin cool

edit: goddamn :duckie:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I hope I’m never in a position to have a bronchial cast like that, but if I do I’m preserving it in a jar.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I have dreams about coughing out all the tar in my lungs like this. I smoke like a chimney because life sucks and nicotine keeps me going.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

HOLY poo poo. That is a thing of nightmares.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Dude ended up dying though, so that sucks.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
In ye olde days they would have burned him as a witch

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

reignonyourparade posted:

Dude ended up dying though, so that sucks.

we all do

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

poo poo, and I thought blowing a a big nasal polyp out of my nose was impressive.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
why get a 3d printer when my body is already the 3d printer

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

my jam – *kof*kofkof* my polyamide filaments

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

that's actually an apt analogy

SaTaMaS
Apr 18, 2003

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

:wink:

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i remember this futurama episode

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ugh

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Small Nuclear War Could Reverse Global Warming for Years

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Well I mean let's do it.

Best case scenario is the fires stop and I can breathe again during summer.

Or I'll just end up dead and that's cool too.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

perfect

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

2019: when the libs embrace Posadism

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

We could avert the massive loss of life, famine, disease and refugee crises caused by climate change!*

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

In that vein, there's a theory on countering global warming by spewing sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere to block UV radiation at a similar rate to the greenhouse effect retaining it.

It may have unintended side effects, but as things worsen, our options shrink. At least it'd be some attempt to take responsibility for the planet.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

the problems this would create would be exactly those predicted by global warming, except also the crops all die. then the effects dissipate just in time for global warming to come back and cause the problems again. lmao.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

SlothfulCobra posted:

In that vein, there's a theory on countering global warming by spewing sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere to block UV radiation at a similar rate to the greenhouse effect retaining it.

It may have unintended side effects, but as things worsen, our options shrink. At least it'd be some attempt to take responsibility for the planet.

how can people possibly think that the answer to spewing insane amounts of poo poo into the atmosphere is to vomit up even more noxious fumes and block out the loving sun. meanwhile the oceans keep dying and emissions continue unabated, and with renewed confidence!

its insane. its a garbage idea that only exists because its cheap and frees people from having to think about the actual consequences of what the industrial revolution has brought forth. an idea for rich fools.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

im tripleposting to say just how goddamn mad that retarded idea makes me, or would make me if i wasnt so high

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Giant sun shade is a less stupid idea, and that’s saying something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Platystemon posted:

Giant sun shade is a less stupid idea, and that’s saying something.

toiletpaper the solar system