Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol berkeley

https://twitter.com/mateosfo/status/1072956450178125824

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
suddenly i'm thinking of that dead mall in cupertino that i used to watch movies at and all the crunchy granola people there opposed to re-zoning it

all of the politicians in these cities are starting to form a consistent talking point about cities being "full" in a political-y way now though

mystes
May 31, 2006

lancemantis posted:

i always found nerds sperging about keyboards to be a great example of how people will run around fiddling with things they have control over to avoid addressing the crushing things they have no control over

like the entire management chain puts us in crunch mode constantly, but hey I get to use Dvorak!
This isn't just nerds, though. It's like the fundamental concept of consumerism. You may not be able to afford health care or stop global warming but at least you can buy some cheap electronics you don't need.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Chalks posted:

it absolutely is. buy a keyboard on amazon and enjoy constant suggestions for buying more and more keyboards because oh boy you sure must love typing

new theory: there is a minority of business or bulk purchasers in some categories who are throwing the Algorithm way the gently caress off by doing things like buying an array of different keyboards to evaluate, then coming back and ordering 200 of the acceptable one over the next two years. as a result the Algorithm thinks if it can only get you to buy a second and third keyboard you'll make Amazon soooo much money.

kind of like how I'm pretty sure that some rear end in a top hat doing 60mph through a neighborhood at 2am causes Waze to permanently think that cutting through is a good idea even at rush hour when there is no chance of making a particular non-protected turn.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

new theory: there is a minority of business or bulk purchasers in some categories who are throwing the Algorithm way the gently caress off by doing things like buying an array of different keyboards to evaluate, then coming back and ordering 200 of the acceptable one over the next two years. as a result the Algorithm thinks if it can only get you to buy a second and third keyboard you'll make Amazon soooo much money.
This is giving their recommendation algorithm way too much credit.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

this is why we keep screaming about diversity in tech companies being important BTW. internally I guarantee you there's a dozen male engineers happily explaining how this isn't a problem to each other and nothing will be done.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

jit bull transpile posted:

this is why we keep screaming about diversity in tech companies being important BTW. internally I guarantee you there's a dozen male engineers happily explaining how this isn't a problem to each other and nothing will be done.

lmao and now I see infernal machines decided to illustrate my point perfectly. you see, solving the problem is hard so this bereaved woman is obviously the unreasonable one, not the people who unleashed a half functioning panopticon and fully believe in its inherent goodness despite all evidence.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mystes posted:

This is giving their recommendation algorithm way too much credit.

yeah it's probably just like "searches for keyboards are correlated with keyboard purchases" and it has zero expiration date or cancellation conditions

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

lancemantis posted:

“full" in a political-y way

just say politcal

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

she's likely under 55 years of age and thus probably won't see an ad for diapers on broadcast tv because nobody under that age sits down and watches realtime broadcast television. It's not really a good comparison

the kind of person who sees ads online sees them on tv, cable or streaming.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

at this point it is probably just a box of undocumented spaghetti code that the original maintainers left behind and new software engineers are terrified of touching it for fear of crashing the production system at some future point when the wrong combination of poo poo hits or of creating some new embarrassing recommendation algorithm quirk.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nah its probably incredibly simple and manual de-targeting definitely already exists, you'd just need to add the automatic matching of a user's content to that de-targeting.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shifty Pony posted:

at this point it is probably just a box of undocumented spaghetti code that the original maintainers left behind and new software engineers are terrified of touching it for fear of crashing the production system at some future point when the wrong combination of poo poo hits or of creating some new embarrassing recommendation algorithm quirk.

at my last job we called this problem the money printing machine, like you have a huge pysical machine that prints money but it's slow and noisy and black smoke billows out of it and it's hard to maintain but it prints actual money so if anyone tries to "improve" it a ton of people who use that money get super cagey and defensive

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is not at all an easy thing to do, but the eu has started and it is something one can work on. there is no fundamental reason why the ad industry should get to build models of individual people.

the eu has already thought through the importance of persons’ old history not hounding them forever and has codified that into the right to be forgotten

as there’s little difference between e.g. a news article about a pregnancy and a pregnancy determined by data mining, all that remains is to apply the law

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

the kind of person who sees ads online sees them on tv, cable or streaming.

netflix doesnt have ads and nothing else is a real streaming service

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Netflix has like 2 things worth watching at any given time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this is gold.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

lmao and now I see infernal machines decided to illustrate my point perfectly. you see, solving the problem is hard so this bereaved woman is obviously the unreasonable one, not the people who unleashed a half functioning panopticon and fully believe in its inherent goodness despite all evidence.

i'm sorry i presented my sarcasm as ignorant sincerity. i assure you i don't think the woman is being unreasonable, i think people generally don't understand how little the technology really does. the onus absolutely should be on the ad networks to better police their system, i just don't see how that's likely to be enforced in america today, or tomorrow, or next year.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol someone leaked the google policy document that specifies exactly how to treat temp/contract employees as non-human

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/11/google-tvc-full-time-employees-training-document

a sample:

more than half of googles 170000 person global workforce is contingent

e: none of this is surprising ofc, its par for the course in the valley, but its interesting to see it spelled it in such a definitive and specific way

FMguru fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 12, 2018

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

amazon wrote their recommendation algorithm in 1998 when suggesting books similar to the book you just bought was a valid design decision and they haven't touched it since

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

infernal machines posted:

i'm sorry i presented my sarcasm as ignorant sincerity. i assure you i don't think the woman is being unreasonable, i think people generally don't understand how little the technology really does. the onus absolutely should be on the ad networks to better police their system, i just don't see how that's likely to be enforced in america today, or tomorrow, or next year.

yeah this. she's of course being completely reasonable in being mad. but there is no ~algo~, there is no man behind the curtains. its literally ~you clicked top stroller and diaper brand, heres a bunch of baby stuff for the next 3 years~ there is no AI, there is no machine learning, there is nothing processing your tweets or pinstagrams about what you like, its just about throwing out as many big ticket money ads at you as possible in the most obfuscated and laziest way.

and really i love making GBS threads on tech and doughy white pasty transplants from wisconsin going into adtech here for being myopic and sheltered and lovely, which they are, but it's not even so much that it's an oversight in that it's just flat out nonexistent and a farce.

the solution is not to make adtech better because that's not happening-- its ban all advertising everywhere. tv, telemarketing, lawn posters, billboards, internet. all advertising is immoral and needs to be eradicated and all ad people, both those that serve it up and those that buy adspace into the furnance.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 12, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
imagine if your tv could tell when you were pregnat and only played ads targeted to that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Xaris posted:

the solution is not to make adtech better because that's not happening-- its ban all advertising everywhere. tv, telemarketing, lawn posters, billboards, internet. all advertising is immoral and needs to be eradicated and all ad people, both those that serve it up and those that buy adspace into the furnance.

sao paulo's outdoor advertising ban owns

i used to have a giant red liquor store sign outside my window and that poo poo's just gotta go, there can't be that many voters who would defend billboards

mystes
May 31, 2006

FMguru posted:

lol someone leaked the google policy document that specifies exactly how to treat temp/contract employees as non-human

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/dec/11/google-tvc-full-time-employees-training-document

a sample:

more than half of googles 170000 person global workforce is contingent

e: none of this is surprising ofc, its par for the course in the valley, but its interesting to see it spelled it in such a definitive and specific way

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Microsoft had to compensate their workers fairly way back when and forever set the precedent that you shouldn't treat contractors with basic human dignity because it'll cost some money.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Xaris posted:

yeah this. she's of course being completely reasonable in being mad. but there is no ~algo~, there is no man behind the curtains. its literally ~you clicked top stroller and diaper brand, heres a bunch of baby stuff for the next 3 years~ there is no AI, there is no machine learning, there is nothing processing your tweets or pinstagrams about what you like, its just about throwing out as many big ticket money ads at you as possible in the most obfuscated and laziest way.

and really i love making GBS threads on tech and doughy white pasty transplants from wisconsin going into adtech here for being myopic and sheltered and lovely, which they are, but it's not even so much that it's an oversight in that it's just flat out nonexistent and a farce.

yeah like again, the way to make "adtech" better in this case would mean to put your life into an actual panopticon where everyone who might want to advertise to you is owed constant accurate updates about your whole life.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Microsoft had to compensate their workers fairly way back when and forever set the precedent that you shouldn't treat contractors with basic human dignity because it'll cost some money.

Works for Amazon

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

No it set the precedent that in order to avoid having to pay benefits to your contractors you have to constantly remind them that they're second class citizens.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

It would absolutely help, but its not just an issue of gender, tech companies (all companies?) are really bad at dealing with things that are sad. They don't want to think about it, or be associated with it, or design anything to consider it. Everything is great all the time, people should use our apps to have fun while laughing with friends at a roof top party lit with strings of Edison bulbs.

A really similar example is someone that had lost a friend after a long battle with cancer. A year later facebook pops up that stupid ballon filled notification "Hello sad person! Its the 1 year anniversary of this photo!" and its a photo of them in the hospital. Facebook had determined it was relevant because it got a lot of likes or something (turns out you can "like" something even if its sad!)

You can tell facebook when someone dies. But even if no one did, it shouldn't be hard to notice that activity on that page has dropped off... or the content contains words like "miss you so much" "wish you were here" the way people sometimes do with a deceased person's facebook page.

They don't care though, its an after thought to them, its not something anyone wants to bring up in a meeting and its probably nothing anyone will get promoted over.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

imagine if your tv could tell when you were pregnat and only played ads targeted to that

mcdonalds!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

graph posted:

mcdonalds!

miscarriages!

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
mesothelioma?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the holy Trinity.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

if you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mcdonalds

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

ADINSX posted:

It would absolutely help, but its not just an issue of gender, tech companies (all companies?) are really bad at dealing with things that are sad. They don't want to think about it, or be associated with it, or design anything to consider it. Everything is great all the time, people should use our apps to have fun while laughing with friends at a roof top party lit with strings of Edison bulbs.

A really similar example is someone that had lost a friend after a long battle with cancer. A year later facebook pops up that stupid ballon filled notification "Hello sad person! Its the 1 year anniversary of this photo!" and its a photo of them in the hospital. Facebook had determined it was relevant because it got a lot of likes or something (turns out you can "like" something even if its sad!)

You can tell facebook when someone dies. But even if no one did, it shouldn't be hard to notice that activity on that page has dropped off... or the content contains words like "miss you so much" "wish you were here" the way people sometimes do with a deceased person's facebook page.

They don't care though, its an after thought to them, its not something anyone wants to bring up in a meeting and its probably nothing anyone will get promoted over.

More than "things that are sad", I would say "circumstances which call for tact or restraint".

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Poniard posted:

if you or a loved one has been diagnosed with mcdonalds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Chalks posted:

it absolutely is. buy a keyboard on amazon and enjoy constant suggestions for buying more and more keyboards because oh boy you sure must love typing

this exactly happened to me except it was a musical keyboard.

"we saw that you bought Yamaha P-115 Digital Piano. You might also enjoy five comparable digital pianos that you looked at for several weeks before making this purchase, and also three inferior Yamaha models. Subscribe and save!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

also it is a mitzvah to make a habit of surreptitiously installing ublock on every computer you are asked to "take a look at" or install a driver on or whatever.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

ADINSX posted:

oh I absolutely agree that one of the causes is just laziness and a lack of foresight in these tech companies.

all I'm saying is that the response would be better when these things happen if there were actual minorities inside these companies amplifying the signal from outside. it's too easy for someone who will never experience the consequences of this poo poo to file an issue like this under nice-to-have and never implement it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

also it is a mitzvah to make a habit of surreptitiously installing ublock on every computer you are asked to "take a look at" or install a driver on or whatever.

it is unless they use corporate outlook web access in which case it will insert hundreds of lines of filter tags into the message header that will 100% guaranteed get the message flagged by any spam filter on earth.

no idea why it does that, but it does that.